Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

RedbridgeRedbridge

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.

Added by BeerBeing on 12-10-2006

Reviews: 211 | Ratings: 488
2.09/5  rDev -23.7%

This beer has more of a grassy taste than i've ever had before. I guess thats the sorghum i'm tasting i'd imagine since I don't recall ever having a beer with sorghum before. It takes a little getting used to but it could be worse, not something i'd ever buy again though.

1.8/5  rDev -34.3%

This was the very first gluten free beer I had once I was diagnosed with Celiac. I waited and waited for this to come out and when it did, I thought it was the best thing in the world. Not being able to drink regular beer really changes things. After 10 years or so of having Celiac and about 5-6 (can't quite remember when this came out) years of drinking this, there are so many better options. In a glass or out of the bottle, this just doesn't have the taste of an Omission of Green's. If this is all that's around , I'll drink it but I'd much rather have something else.

2.21/5  rDev -19.3%

L - Gold with some red tones, nearly transparent.

S - Odd lack of aroma. A bit sweet, similar to hard cider.

T: Sweet flavor, again similar to cider but more bready/earthy due to the sorghum. Similar to an O'Douls or Sharps in that it's just bland ale.

M: If it don't taste good it ain't gonna feel good.

O: My local shop has a 'clearance rack' where the owner puts single bottles out. This one was labeled 99 cents so I decided to try it. I told him later how bad this beer was, he laughed and said "haven't had one good review yet, trying to get rid of it. Won't be ordering that one again." Thankfully I'm not limited to gluten-free beer, my sympathy to those who are.

2.56/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from bottle.

A: not much distinction, slight amber color, no head. S: fairly empty. I guess I am smelling sorghum? T: generic, kind of like a weak red ale. Nothing too noteworthy. F: disappointing, lacks any type of bite, although not offensive. O: I guess it could be worse, it's passable for GF but I doubt I will ever have another

3.23/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

This is a really inoffensive beer and a good cheap option for those who need gluten-free options. When I saw this was from Anheuser-Busch I groaned (they have a habit of hiding their name on many of their brews or just redacting it completely on some such as on Wild Blue) but this is one of their better offerings I've had, maybe the best. The ratings on here don't do it justice.

Appearance is very okay. Thin white head that dissipates quickly. Smell is sweet, almost reminds me of sangria or brandy. Mouthfeel is surprisingly good, and it goes down really smooth for an A-B beer. Taste is nothing extraordinary obviously but isn't outright bad. If this had a higher ABV I think it'd be a genuinely decent cheap beer to pound, up there with the likes of Blue Moon.

As far as red lagers made by macrobreweries go, I think this beats out George Killian's.

3.63/5  rDev +32.5%

Best gluten-free brew I've had so far, yet has a few unique characteristics that differentiates itself from the standard beer. The scent has floral notes, whereas the taste reveals a hint of a sort of fruit, like a crisp applely-peach to finish. The beer could use some longer lasting froth, but all-in-all, a satisfying experience that encourages me to say, "yes, I'll have another. Thanks."

2.72/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle, one of those, 'oh hell, I guess I'll try it' grocery store mixed-six selections.

This beer pours a clear, bright medium copper amber colour, with one finger of loosely foamy, and mostly just fizzy dirty white head, which leaves a bit of some fat guy's cannonball splash lace around the glass as things slowly recede.

It smells of musty, floral, and faintly toasted grain (best way I can describe sorghum, I suppose), slightly off apple cider, further indistinct yeasty fruit esters, and some weak leafy, grassy hop bitters. The taste is grainy, lightly doughy, well, wet bread, dead flowers, fairly overripe apples, phenolic yeast, a hint of white pepper, a random cold medicine thing from when I was a kid, and very tame earthy, grassy hops.

The carbonation is quite light in its limited time offer frothiness, the body a so-so middleweight, and sort of smooth, the mixed and growing fruity sourness not doing anyone any favours here. It finishes off-dry, and verging on sweet - plain bready grain, and lingering yeasty fruit.

Yeah, this is certainly not as bad as I might have been expecting going in, as it bests Bards (another sorghum-only brew), but still falls short of agreeable in many other respects. The malt is too thin, the fruitiness overly musty, and the hops either unpleasant or way too under the radar. And now I know.

1.83/5  rDev -33.2%

ever had Miller's "Sharp's" non-alcoholic brew?

Redbridge tastes very much like that, to me... nasty sweet bread flavor
with a definite tang of alcohol, kind of amazing since it's only 4% abv.

it's not a good thing at all. in fact, it was pretty gross... I am not one to pour beers (not even Earthquake!), but I came close on this one. I'm glad I got just one bottle as part of a pick-six at my local market.

if I had to limit myself to GF beer, I could drink this.... but I wouldn't enjoy it much.

1.88/5  rDev -31.4%

This has been quite a G-F weekend for yours truly! I felt really crappy all day on Friday and while I wanted to indulge, the thought of AIPAs made the stomach seas choppy and bouncy. I then hit upon all of the G-F beers that I had assembled, both in support of a (now-former) work colleague who is gluten intolerant and in the hopes of submitting an article on G-F beers for publication. My new sense of this is that it takes both immersion and dedication. One cannot sense the nuances of these beers unless you commit to solely drinking them for a period of time. I only wish that I had more to try on this journey.

From the bottle: "Gluten-Free Sorghum Beer Made Without Wheat Or Barley". For me it was the striking picture of the red covered bridge that really hit home. My late Pops was a founding member of the Lancaster (PA) Bicycle Club and the instigator of the annual Covered Bridge Ride through Lancaster County. I was the executor of his estate and I chose a like scene for the front of his funeral announcement. I still envision his rear wheel crossing into eternity any time I am near a covered bridge, red or not. R.I.P., Pops.

I Pop!, er, unscrewed the cap, just to show you the relevancy A-B/INBEV gives to its G-F consumers. An aggro pour netted a finger of foamy, light-tan head with lousy retention. Bye, Felicia! Nose had a musty, caramel apple smell. I thought of ice cream for some reason. Nowhere as sharp as Green's, but where would these guys be if they didn't polish the s**t out of their beers? Nowhere! Color was Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-plus quality clarity. These guys are the masters of filtration at the expense of flavor!Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was like fermented apple cider, but with somebody having hit the "Mute" button! This was as if you were a person new to G-F and unsure where to start, then this would be your beer. For a now-seasoned veteran, this was like G-F beer on training wheels. Holy Ho Hum and Boring, Batman! I could drink this. A G-F person could drink this. On the other hand, we could drink a glass of water, which is also G-F! Finish was as bland and indistinguishable as all of their other products. For shame! Yes, this is an alternative, but to beer? I am unamused.

1.85/5  rDev -32.5%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass, then promptly dumped half into the toilet.
Aroma- smells like beer
Appearance- Looks like beer
Taste- Horrid, if you can't have gluten, then I guess you should drink wine. this is awful
Palate- not sure, couldn't get the taste out of my mouth.
Overall- really!! avoid, drink tap water.

1.09/5  rDev -60.2%

Nose sweet sour bread (I guess sorghum), moldiness, grains. Taste like crappy club soda, strange tartness, cidery. Another underwhelming Gluten! Couldn't finish this one.

1.8/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Crystal clear, watery, sweet with a bit of citrus from the hops, but no bready malt flavours to balance this. "Lager" yeast doesn't taste much like lager. I know it's Gluten-free, but, eh, there are definitely much better. (i.e. Green's)

1.84/5  rDev -32.8%

Simply awful. Did not realize it was a gluten free beer mad by AB. Better off drinking Coors Light, unless you really need something gluten free, but then why even drink beer?

1.75/5  rDev -36.1%

I would have to say this is little more than a glorified Budweiser. Has a little bit of an amber or red color, heavility carbonated and not much on the flavor side. There is a bit of a back side taste, but I'm not sure what it is, because it's not prominent. I had no idea it was a gluten free beer when I bought, my grocery store had it up in with the Porter's in the mixed pak selection area. Thank goodness I only got one.

2.45/5  rDev -10.6%

This is a very Meh beer overall. Its not terrible, but its not remarkable, either. Its very reminiscent of other wheat beers, though it contains no wheat. It's smooth drinking and refreshing, but does have a (hard to describe) off taste on the back end. Perhaps thats the sorghum? Not sure. Its not very hoppy, though you can taste the hops. I'm not picking up any fruit - some spice - pepper/coriander perhaps?

2.44/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a crystal clear medium golden yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation rising quickly from the bottom of the glass and faint bright yellow highlights. The beer has a two finger tall sudsy foamy light beige head that reduces to a medium to large sized patch of medium thick film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of grassy hops, fruity yeast, and a hint of toasted sorghum malts.

T: Upfront there is a light flavor of toasted sorghum malts with a slight hint of something metallic/chemically/medicinal in it. That is followed by a light flavor of slightly sour green apple yeast and a touch of grassy hops which fades quickly. Minimal amounts of bitterness which does not linger but there is something slightly unpleasant left behind after sipping this one.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: Not a great beer by any stretch of the imagination - I guess I should not be surprised since it is essentially a sorghum version of a BMC beer. Rather bland with something unpleasant in the finish, this is not a beer I will be grabbing again anytime soon. Much better gluten-free options out there.

3.29/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Needs more oomph -- goes down smooth -- gluten-free is an advantage, but the taste fizzles out and leaves you wondering what happened. I enjoy a bottle once in a while but there's no story to it.. All in all it DEFINITELY tastes better than what goes under the bridge.

3.42/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch is a gluten free brew. It pours a dark amber color. Little to no head but it is a white head. The smell is ok nothing special but good. The taste is smooth and it goes down well. There is no bad aftertaste at all. Overall, this was a good brew to drink if you want to try something different. I really enjoyed this brew.

1.18/5  rDev -56.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

I have been interested in sorghum as an alternative in recipes for while now so I thought I would the 4 sorghum based beers I found. This is the worst one yet, the others were actually very good.

This one pours a darker tanned gold with a effervescent head that is of an odd texture, More like soap foam than beer foam. The lacing looking more like a chemical accident than lacing.

The nose is almost nonexistent, nothing to review cause I honestly cannot smell anything.

The taste is more like a beer that taste like a home brew that was contaminated with a foreign bacteria. This is what I think old gym socks might taste like.

The mouthfeel is so watery it would give distilled texture.

Completely undrinkable, awful and can't be called beer. Even an alcoholic would pass this one up.

I am pouring it out and shooting the glass to put it out of it's misery.

3.05/5  rDev +11.3%

A - Almost transparent, golden color with a slightly red undertone. A little bit of head that settles quickly in to a fine layer. A little bit of lacing.

S - Apple, floral, and sorghum.

T/M - Crisp and light, very cider-like with a dry finish. Fairly sweet.

O - Not bad for what it is. Interesting taste. BTW, I think there should be a gluten-free style. This definitely has more in common with something like Harvester than Brooklyn Lager.

2.76/5  rDev +0.7%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Acquired as part of a mixed six pack at the local Binny's. My third gluten-free beer, this one being an outing from Anheuser-Busch and gang. Expectations are moderately low, but I'm going in unbiased.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours about a finger of dish-soapy off-white head that recedes to a ring quickly. Body is a brassy orange color with excellent clarity.

S - Smell is of virtually nothing. Slightly grainy, ricey, and papery, with a mild hint of citrus, and apple cider vinegar.

T - Taste follows the nose: a tart apple cider vinegar quality, some crisp citrus, green apple, coppery amber malt presence, lots of soggy cardboard / wet newspaper, and a mild earthy / lemongrass flavor from the sorghum. Taste is much better than the nose, but not quite as earthy / herbal / floral as I would have liked. Of course, based on the fact that this is Anheuser-Busch, this isn't surprising. Taste is still much better than I would have expected from these guys.

M - Feel is crisp and tart with a grainy / papery sort of aftertaste.

Overall, a fairly inoffensive offering for our gluten intolerant friends from the big boys at Anheuser-Busch. Definitely better than I would have expected coming from them. It was surprisingly drinkable, flavorful, and laid-back. Sessionable low 4.00% abv; I could definitely knock of few of these back on a hot summer's day.

Anheuser-Busch Redbridge ---3/5.

2.57/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12-oz bottle into nonic pub glass

A - 2 fingers off-white head over a crystal-clear body of amber, low amount of visible carbonation, not much to say about lacing on the glass or head retention

S - sweet grainy smell; not much to it

T - sugary sweetness up front, grassy hops move in, more sweetness in the finish

M - slick light/medium body, medium carbonation

O - I had never had a sorghum beer before--picked this one up for a gluten-free guest. I'm not too impressed. The taste is odd and it's a little on the watery side.

2.3/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – Pours a nice amber color with big carbonation bubbles seen streaming through the clear body forming a fizzy white head upon pouring. The head fades very fast leaving no lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is sweet with a decent apple cider like smell mixed with a bit of caramel. With these aromas are some other aromas of white wine and a bit of a pear smell.

Taste – The taste begins very light in flavor with hints of apple cider and some bitterness of a vinegar like taste. The bitterness gets a bit stronger as the flavor advances with the fruit transitioning a bit to a apple/pear like flavor blend. In the end a mainly more apple cider vinegar flavor with some odd malt like flavors and a paper flavor are left on the tongue. Overall there is very little flavor here with just a hint of sweet fruits, vinegar, and a bit of malt/grain.

Mouthfeel –The body of the beer is very thin and watery with a carbonation level that is a bit on the lower side. The thinner body, while decent for the odd flavor profile, was actually rather too thin for my liking with a carbonation level that was far too low for its drinkability.

Overall – Nope. Not doing this one again that is for sure. Not too nice drinking.

1.81/5  rDev -33.9%

When I first smelled this beer, I thought the smell was off like burnt rubber and sweet. When poured, the beer was an amber color with little to no head that disappeared quickly. The mouthfeel was very light and tasted watered down with sorghum flavors, but still lacking a lasting flavor that would make me want to drink. In this case, I wouldn't choose this beer to drink with a gluten allergy.

2.72/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The bottle looks nice. I like the label, but it's a useless screw top.

It pours a clear thin amber colour with very little head that disappears pretty quick and leaves no lacing.

The aroma is almost medicinal and apple-like with some caramel sweet base to it with notes of fresh white bread. I can't get past the medicinal hint up front.

The taste is basically like a thin apple cider with some of that sorghum flavor that tastes a bit like licking an orange peel. There is a black peppery finish with some decent dryness.

Mouthfeel is thin with that familiar sorghum slimy feel on the tongue. It's overly carbonated and I think that lends to the medicine like smell and feel to this beer. It almost smells like when you open up a fresh band-aid or use that topical antiseptic Mercurochrome? Iodine maybe. Mixed with lysol. It's just not that good. After a Pliny the Elder I don't even want to drink this to tell the truth. I'm being hard on it though as I do believe that I have had one worse from New Planet.

Overall, average for a Gluten Free. If you class it with real ambers like they have it on Beer Advocate it would be pure sh!t. I'd only give it a 2 tops. But for a Gluten Free, a 3 out of 5.

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch