Redbridge | Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.

Added by BeerBeing on 12-10-2006

View: Beers
2.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

2.68/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured out as a reddish amber color with a fizzy white head on top. No head retention or lacing here. The Smell is different, it's not exactly grainy but I think I can tell that it has something in there since its gluten free. There are some yeast aromas and maybe a touch of hops but nothing else really. The taste of the beer is rather bland in my opinion, the flavors are earthy and nothing really pops out otherwise. The mouthfeel is arbonated and light bodied, drinkable but not really all that pleasing. Overall it was decent but nothing I would purchase in the future.

1.5/5  rDev -41.6%

3.5/5  rDev +36.2%

2.72/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle, one of those, 'oh hell, I guess I'll try it' grocery store mixed-six selections.

This beer pours a clear, bright medium copper amber colour, with one finger of loosely foamy, and mostly just fizzy dirty white head, which leaves a bit of some fat guy's cannonball splash lace around the glass as things slowly recede.

It smells of musty, floral, and faintly toasted grain (best way I can describe sorghum, I suppose), slightly off apple cider, further indistinct yeasty fruit esters, and some weak leafy, grassy hop bitters. The taste is grainy, lightly doughy, well, wet bread, dead flowers, fairly overripe apples, phenolic yeast, a hint of white pepper, a random cold medicine thing from when I was a kid, and very tame earthy, grassy hops.

The carbonation is quite light in its limited time offer frothiness, the body a so-so middleweight, and sort of smooth, the mixed and growing fruity sourness not doing anyone any favours here. It finishes off-dry, and verging on sweet - plain bready grain, and lingering yeasty fruit.

Yeah, this is certainly not as bad as I might have been expecting going in, as it bests Bards (another sorghum-only brew), but still falls short of agreeable in many other respects. The malt is too thin, the fruitiness overly musty, and the hops either unpleasant or way too under the radar. And now I know.

3.27/5  rDev +27.2%

Yea, I fell for it. Glad to see A-B trying some experimental stuff. The beer reminds me of my first few batches of homebrew. Turned out overly malty (with something) spicy, and pepery. Sweetness and viscous similar to some other no-malt beers. I must say that this one seems better than them. Though the beer fell apart and the body turned out thin, the initial flavors show similar qualities to some Belgian malts, minus the yeasts. Overtly sweet well into the finish made it hard to drink late. A tacky feel on the palate with a heavy buttery feel. Not likely to try one again, but this session was not the expected disaster.

1.75/5  rDev -31.9%

2.41/5  rDev -6.2%

A - Poured out a clear amber color with no carbonation but a soapy, off-white, two-finger head. It left no lace.

S - It smelled of malt, I guess. I'm still struggling to think of any other smells it had at all.

T - It tasted of malt and a subtle spice, very subtle.

M - It was a little thin but still smooth. A light to medium-bodied beer.

D - This is an okay brew. It's way overpriced. Thank goodness I'm not allergic to wheat or barley.

2.88/5  rDev +12.1%

2.75/5  rDev +7%

2.95/5  rDev +14.8%

I got this from a buddy and didn't even have a glass at the time so I tried it from the bottle.

Aroma: I definitely agree with GreenCard on the dill pickle. Wow is that distinct. There is also a sweet sugary smell.

Taste was very interesting. Not like any other American Reds I have had. Very sugary and molasses-like.

Mouthfeel was a little on the crisp side, but not to bad. Low carbonation.

Overall, this was a very unique beer. I am glad I got it from a buddy as I would be disappointed if I had bought it, as it wasn't something that pleased me. I still have a nasty aftertaste left in my mouth.

2.44/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a crystal clear medium golden yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation rising quickly from the bottom of the glass and faint bright yellow highlights. The beer has a two finger tall sudsy foamy light beige head that reduces to a medium to large sized patch of medium thick film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of grassy hops, fruity yeast, and a hint of toasted sorghum malts.

T: Upfront there is a light flavor of toasted sorghum malts with a slight hint of something metallic/chemically/medicinal in it. That is followed by a light flavor of slightly sour green apple yeast and a touch of grassy hops which fades quickly. Minimal amounts of bitterness which does not linger but there is something slightly unpleasant left behind after sipping this one.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: Not a great beer by any stretch of the imagination - I guess I should not be surprised since it is essentially a sorghum version of a BMC beer. Rather bland with something unpleasant in the finish, this is not a beer I will be grabbing again anytime soon. Much better gluten-free options out there.

3.2/5  rDev +24.5%

I pulled a Redbridge from my fridge not knowing what it was. I poured it and was pleased with the appearance. Nice frothy white head... clear deep amber with golden highlights. I raised it to take a sip and noticed hops in the nose. Crisp... slightly elevated fine-bubbled carbonation. The flavor was a little odd, sweetish and kind of off-kilter, so I looked at the label... "Beer Made From Sorghum". Ahhh! That explains it then. OK. Hmmm. Not bad! My last Celiac beer, if I can call it that, was unimpressive, but this was good. There's a strong hop flavor upfront, grassy and spicy, that screams "BEER"! Beyond that it's malty; although I'm not sure if Sorghum is malted. I'd guess it is. It's the seed of a grass, just like barley. It's graininess is a touch rough and cardboard-ish (but not from oxidation), and it becomes sweet at the swallow. Unfortunately, it then becomes a bit astringent and harsh, lingering like that with bitterness and dully grassy and spicy hops for quite a bit. Still, I'd prefer this to almost all of the other Celiac beers I've had. For people with Celiac's disease, I'd highly recommend trying this one.

2.85/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light brown color, with a short off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of tea, citrus, caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with semi-sweet flavors of tea, caramel, spices and some citrus. Then there's a bitter bite that doesn't seem to come from the mild hops presence and there doesn't seem to have the best balance either. The after-taste is slightly bitter.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, there are definitely several other organic beers that I would pick before this one.

3.53/5  rDev +37.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours with a towering, three finger head of dense, white foam. The body is a clear, light copper color and the head settles slowly, leaving spotty lace on the glass.

S - A light, malty aroma with some spicy hops in the background.

T - Some lightly sweet, toasty malt up front with spicy hops. More hop character in the middle with more toasted grain character. The beer finishes very clean with just a hint of dry toast and some more spicy hop flavor.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a fairly dry finish.

D - Very, surprisingly good! This has a mild malt character, but this is really pretty impressive for a gluten free beer. More than that, there is a well balanced, mild but readily apparent spicy hop character that goes a long way towards adding depth to a relatively light beer. In the final analysis, this is an unusually good gluten free beer and it may actually be the most enjoyable AB product that I have tasted.

2.58/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

1.09/5  rDev -57.6%

Nose sweet sour bread (I guess sorghum), moldiness, grains. Taste like crappy club soda, strange tartness, cidery. Another underwhelming Gluten! Couldn't finish this one.

2.33/5  rDev -9.3%

1.5/5  rDev -41.6%

2.55/5  rDev -0.8%

My 1st industrial sorgrum beer, here goes (expectations are low)

Pours an effervescent bronze with 1 finger+ of eggshell white head. Above average lacing & a little bit of head retention

S: Very corny & slight perfumy notes

T: Honey notes along with some astrigency right up front. I also get a little orange hop note. I also pick up some clover honey& just a touch of molasess notes as this warms along with grainyness. Finishes dry, very grainy, grassy with more honey or maybe corn syrup is more accurate?

MF: Light & sprtizy. I also get a slight syruppy feel, starts to leave an unpleasant sensation on the roof of my mouth

The warmer this got, the harder it was to drink. This beer is a terrible amber, might've passed better as an American Macro. This beer makes me very glad I have no gluten issues!

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch