Redbridge | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.

Added by BeerBeing on 12-10-2006

Reviews: 212 | Ratings: 489
3.33/5  rDev +22%

Poured a nice amber color with a bit of a light off white head, very little retention or lacing.

The smell had a dry bread malty quality to it, not bad, but a bit on the weak side.

Almost English ESB like in flavor with a light mineral taste and a bit fruity notes with just a touch of buttery diacyte coming through as well, just a hint of sourdough bread and a light bit of spicy hops. Very balanced.

The mouthfeel is watery and a bit slick.

Overall its much better than I had anticipated, a little to thin to be good, but not bad.

2.93/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear light amber with a splotchy eggshell head that leaves a little lace on the glass. Faint maple cream smell. The flavor has a mild kind of yeasty, molasses sweetness to it with a mild smack of lemony hop bitterness in the finish. Light bodied and easy enough to drink. This is easily the best of the three or four gluten free beers I've had, this at least tastes like beer.

3.23/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have been struggling with a wheat allergy and consequently though I am not allergic to rye and barley per se, I definately feel better when I don't consume them. Having said all of this I tried a Redbridge red lager gluten free beer last night. I was surprised how much I liked it. I am generally not a big AB fan though I recently tried the Great American Ale and liked that as well. They have done a first rate job here. Though I would never confuse this for a craft brewed specialty beer or ale it tastes surprisingly good. The taste falls between a pale ale and a classic lager flavor, malty, mildly citrusy with caramel notes as well as a mid range hoppy finish. I would recommend anyone who finds they have gluten/wheat issues to give Redbridge a try!

2.88/5  rDev +5.5%

I was told by another customer at my local beer store that this beer "is kosher for Passover because it doesn't have any yeast in it." Well that's fun to know! Pours a clear light orange with a small white head. Aroma of dough and sickly sweet malt. Flavor is actually better than I expected. Some sweet fruits, honey, and doughy malt. Palate is thin but not terrible. Drinkable. Ok, I am still very glad that I'm not gluten-intolerant but this beer wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

3.19/5  rDev +16.8%

Nutritional facts on the bottle! 160 calories, 9 mg of sodium, 16 g of carbs

Aroma - Citrus, which was a surprise.

Appearance - Poured a reddish yellow with light carbonation that supported a long lasting head.

Taste - Citrusy hops. Reminds me of a toned down Sam Adams. No bitterness in the aftertaste just hops upfront in the taste profile.

Mouthfeel - Thin with and low carbonation

Drinkability - This is an OK beer but considering the gluten-free circumstances this is probably a really good beer.

2.4/5  rDev -12.1%

Reviewed 4/19/2009 (Draft at Flying Saucer, Houston, TX):

Pours a clear light red brownish colored body. Smalllish cream-colored head, diminishing. Good lacing, looks thick and sticky. Sweet almost grainy taste, almost like rice or corn, vegetably. Malty and bitter at the beginning. Almost like a fake sugar aftertaste. Drying. Okay. Bitter hoppy aroma. Some of that off-flavored "maltiness". Too sweet tasting.

2.95/5  rDev +8.1%

I got this from a buddy and didn't even have a glass at the time so I tried it from the bottle.

Aroma: I definitely agree with GreenCard on the dill pickle. Wow is that distinct. There is also a sweet sugary smell.

Taste was very interesting. Not like any other American Reds I have had. Very sugary and molasses-like.

Mouthfeel was a little on the crisp side, but not to bad. Low carbonation.

Overall, this was a very unique beer. I am glad I got it from a buddy as I would be disappointed if I had bought it, as it wasn't something that pleased me. I still have a nasty aftertaste left in my mouth.

2.27/5  rDev -16.8%

A: Crystal clear golden-copper, with a small white head that quickly dissipates. Some minor lacing.

S: Almost no aroma to speak of; some molasses/sugary notes with a little chemical-like aftertone.

T: A little bit of a cloying sweetness, some vegetal flavors, then a bitter aftertaste, with that same chemical flavor.

M: Light and smooth, with medium carbonation.

D: This is pretty unpleasant. I finished the bottle, but I wasn't happy about it. I don't know if it's a problem with barley-less beers in general or just A-B's effort, but I wouldn't try this again.

3.18/5  rDev +16.5%

Had a bottle from a mixed case recently. In the world of gluten-free beers, Redbridge is certainly blander than the rest, but it's also the most drinkable. I often find there's a cloying sweetness in a lot of the celiac beers, but this simply resembles a light amber ale. I guess considering the source and style, this isn't a half bad beer.

3.3/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, golden amber color. 5/4 inch head with slight retention ad decent lacing. Smells mostly of a sweet grain (I'm assuming rye). I guess it fits the style - I'd put it in its own category of a rye beer. Has a smooth and crisp mouth feel with average carbonation. Tastes mostly of a lager with a sweet rye flavor. There's also a distinct metallic/acidic aftertaste. Overall, a little weak in body and the aftertaste is slightly odd.

2.78/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance: light copper, good clarity, bubbly light-tan froth that compacts to a thin layer of spittle

Aroma: caramel, herbal hop scent, dill pickles

Flavor: semisweet backbone with a soapy/fruity overtone; slight tartness like an apple; finishes semi-dry with a lingering acidity

Mouthfeel: medium-light body, bubbly carbonation, soft texture

Other comments: This is not a bad beer for a non-malt brew, but there's a reason malt is used in beer: it makes it taste good! I wouldn't drink this beer unless I had to for medical reasons, though.

3.15/5  rDev +15.4%

Made without barley or wheat... Interesting... That's why I grabbed it. Didn't even realise it was AB until I came here.

Poured a clear amber color with a fleeting white cap that left a delicate lacing effect.

Smelled very crisp and clean, a nice hoppy scent.

It tasted like "meh". Nothing special about it. I rolled it over in my tongue trying to find something that sparkled, but there was nothing. It wasn't 'bad' persay; but not good either.

This was a very undercarbonated brew, it tasted flat.

I was in no way impressed by this, I guess finding out on the back-end that it was from AB proves that I'm not a snob about AB; I just don't like them. (with a few rare exceptions)

3.8/5  rDev +39.2%

Celiac disease sucks. You won't realize how much you miss real beers until you can't have them any more. Amazingly redbridge is a better substitute for people on a restricted diet than you would think could come from AB.

By beer lover standards it is nothing amazing and would struggle to get a grade a ok. For the beer lover that can't have beer anymore...you could do a lot worse. Its far from the two hearted ale that I miss but its so great to actually taste some hops again.

Some of the other gluten free beers by smaller brewers are alright too but redbridge competes with them surprisingly well and can even best them.

Now for the bad news. I believe I have had a reaction to redbridge multiple times. I don't know if there is contamination, shared facilities, shared grain storage, or if its all in my head but redbridge means a gluten reaction for me and I won't drink it. Give it a shot but use caution.

3.08/5  rDev +12.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to pint glass. Had an amber color and a mainly clear consistency. There was a small amount of head and some OK lacing.

S: There was a slight amount of hops and sugar in the aroma, but not much else.

T: Had a bitter hoppiness and a slight sugary quality. Other than that, it was very thin and featureless.

M: A decent amount of carbonation and a dry finish. Medium-bodied.

D; It's always kind of funny when a brewery that makes terrible beer tries to make a good one. Usually it turns out mediocre. Just like Redbridge. This is just an uninteresting piece of brewing. Stick to what you know, Anheuser-Busch, which is making bad beer.

2.83/5  rDev +3.7%

This brew pours a clear copper-amber color with a medium thick and fizzy off-white head that burns off quickly. Spotty lacing. Aroma of grain and bready malt. Light-bodied with a mildly bitter hops character, and flavors of sweet malt and caramel. The finish is short and lightly bitter. Below average and completely forgettable overall.

2.8/5  rDev +2.6%

A- Clear dark golden close to copper color. Moderate sized head.

S- Earthy, woody, spicey smell

T- Slightly dry and tart. Tastes like sorghum syrup.

M- Medium-light body with high carbonation.

D- Not something I'd buy or drink on a regular basis. Would only drink it if it were the last available chioce.

2.82/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Let me start by stating that I sincerely applaud Anheuser Busch for making this beer. I realize that they aren't saints and the gluten-free market is growing, but turning a profit doesn't take away from providing a product that allows people to once again enjoy the simple pleasure of beer. My mom has Celiac disease and cutting gluten out of one's diet is just hugely limiting. Beyond obvious things like bread, pasta or beer, there's a laundry list of basic categories of food that contain gluten. Unfortunately, this disease is still largely undiagnosed. Unlike most of those stupid prescription drug ads, this is something you should actually ask your doctor about. There's a simple blood test and diet changes are a far sight better than cancer or other debilitating problems that could develop. So, I guess I might have a soft spot for everything gluten-free. Here goes with a relatively unbiased review.

Redbridge pours an okay head that dissipates very rapidly. The beer looks fairly light like most macrobrews. On the plus side, it's a nice amber color that I'd much rather drink than a normal American macro. It's not a horrible looking Amber but there's room for improvement.

The beer smells and tastes better than it looks. It has a sweet, somewhat malty smell that is a lot more beer-like than I was expecting. There could definitely be more strength here, but I enjoy what I detect.

The taste doesn't quite correspond to the smell and is definitely a bit odd for beer. It's a bit watery and mild. The taste is an interesting mix of sweet and sour. It could definitely use more hops, but I ultimately enjoy the unique flavor of the sorghum far more than I do corn or rice flavor in an adjunct macro.

The mouthfeel is more of a problem area. The carbonation is bit bracing for the flavor and is a bit overpowering upfront. On the other hand, I find it fairly drinkable. I feel like I'm splitting the difference between these two categories because while I dislike the carbonation's effect on the taste, it does make the beer go down pretty easy.

Having tried a number of gluten-free versions of normally gluten-containing products, I can sincerely say that Redbridge is fairly successful endeavor. Many small brand, expensive rice/amaranth/potato/arrowroot/whatever breads and pastas are far worse gluten-free versions of their products than this beer. While this beer gets a C compared to the richness of other beers, it's a great gluten-free product from a major brewer. Kudos to Anheuser-Busch.

2.1/5  rDev -23.1%

12 oz. bottle. Pours an amber color, with a minimal frothy, white head. Aroma is caramel, slight hop nose. Flavor starts all sweet, with a touch of a bitter hoppy finish. Not all that bad for a sorghum beer. watery finish. Nice for those with gluten issues.

3.4/5  rDev +24.5%

Appears a light toasted malt hue of amber caramel tones, head is slightly off white forms thick after a heavy pour large bubbles fizzy pour going on. Aroma has a faint sweetness with a touch of cascade hops going on mild citrus flow going on. Flavor actually isn't too bad a touch of candy caramel sweetness some rock candi sugar like notes as well but never cloying. Really plays well without any grains actual hop flavor I'm impressed not as bad as I was expecting and more affordable than the Green's line up. If I had celiac this beer would definitely do the trick if nothing else was a possibility on it's own I would drink this over Bud any day. Mouthfeel is light to medium in body definitely has a sturdy level of carbonation but it's not over done this is a well engineered beer. Drinkability overall, let me reiterate not bad enjoyable definitely better than a Budweiser, go for it.

3.27/5  rDev +19.8%

A- Clear dark golden, sort of looks like a very watered down coke. Moderate sized off-white head that looks a lot like what would come from pouring a cider. Dissipates into a ring which surprises me for a beer made of sorghum.

A- Smells sweet and slightly fruity

T- Sweet taste. Has a weird undertone/aftertaste that is almost like maple syrup, this is undoubtedly the sorghum syrup.

M- Medium-light body with high carbonation.

D- Not something I'd drink often. Even if I could not tolerate gluten I'd probably choose a dry cider over this. Though this is probably one of the better things coming from AB and I'd recommend checking it out if you have issues with gluten.

2.85/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured a bottle of this into a glass mug.

A: Pours a reddish, amber body with a small, white head with poor retention and no lacing of note.

S: Smells sweet with almost some hints of crab apples in some undertones. Smelled a little bit like apple juice.

T: A fairly sweet taste with an awkward bitter aftertaste that did not compliment the beer nicely. The aftertaste was kind of rooty; reminded me of a birch beer.

M: Seemed slightly overcarbonated and a little watery. Nothing to impressive.

D: OK drinkability, but nothing to write home about. The taste was decent, but the mouthfeel was average at best. Worth a try if you want to, but nothing I would highly recommend.

2.94/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer pours a clear light red color. The head is one inch in height, fluffy, and recedes slowly into a quarter inch cap of lacing. The aroma is of bread and corn, and is very faint. The taste has a candy sweetness that vanishes quickly into nothing. The mouthfeel is on the lighter side, but is fuller bodied than other macros. Overall, this beer is palatable. I could drink this again, and would rather have it than almost all of the other AB offerings.

2.83/5  rDev +3.7%

Beer made from Sorghum for the barley impaired (Ciliac).

A: Pours a nice light clear amber/orange color.

S: Faint herbal aroma.

T: Some what grassy hop flavor and texture. Some herbal and grassiness with some citrus. Some fruitiness, cherries, and some spiciness in the finish. Decent malt palate considering how difficult it is to brew with sorghum.

M: somewhat thin and flavor ends quickly and rather cleanly. Definitely a different feel and texture then traditional wheat/barley beers but not as bad as many others have portrayed.

D: A good alternative for those who suffer from celiac though would not satisfy the big hearty beer enthusiasts (stout, porter, ipas). A malty textured ale at best but deserves some props even if it is AB.

2.36/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - dark amber with a slight reddish tint, lots of visible carbonation bubbling but no head

Smell - almost busted a blood vessel taking deep whiffs, but got nothing

Taste - bland except for a bitterness that was abnormal, was reminescent of hops but lacked the pleasantness

Mouthfeel - medium body, plenty of carbonation

Drinkability - I didn't care for it, pretty much water with a bit of bitterness to it...try it just to say you tried a sorghum beer, but don't get a sixer

2.85/5  rDev +4.4%

I have never had a wheat and barley free beer so I decided to try it out for shits and giggles. Had it chilled in a pint glass. Poured a lucid yellow color that turns orange in the light and virtually no head. Smell is of lights hops and a slight sweetness, the sorghum? Taste is a little musky hoppy with some slight sweetness and a crisp fimish. I guess it would be ideal for anyone allergic to gluten. Poor bastards!

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch