Redbridge | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.

Added by BeerBeing on 12-10-2006

3.75/5  rDev +36.9%

3.38/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a clear golden-amber hue with a thin head that dissipates instantly. Lacing is pretty nice.

Smell - It has a subtle sweetness and a little grainy.

Taste - It's quite sweet, but a strange sweetness I can't exactly describe. Has a strong metallic flavor to it too.. along with a corn-like flavor in the finish. It's probably the sorghum?

Mouthfeel - Light body with medium carbonation. Very crisp.

Overall - It's quite drinkable.. but for some reason I usually get heartburn from this beer.

2.13/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours out to a thin bubbly white head and amber color. No real head retention to speak of. Aroma is berry, apple and a hint of A-B banana and hop-skunk. Flavor is wine-like, reminds me of sherry or muscadine but is is very faint with some rubbery, skunky hops in the finish. Nothing resembling malt or cereal grain is in this brew. Mouthfeel for a low-point beer is average. Overall, this is a different taste sensation more like a watered down melomel or a cider and not much like beer, unless you count bad beer.

2.12/5  rDev -22.6%

I don't believe it, but I'm actually reviewing an Anheuser-Busch beer. At least it's not Bud Light... but we'll see if I end up eating my words after this one.

A - body of the beer is exactly the color of apple juice, and just as clear. Lots of carbonation in this beer as evidenced by the streams of bubbles coming up the glass. Head is coarse white foam that fades quickly, but is replaced by a finer head from the bubbles rising from the bottom. No lacing.

S - Slightly sherry-like and medicinal. Hints of fruity cider and sweet hard candy.

T - Sweet, slightly tangy and fruity up front. Just sort of bland and flavorless as it moves over my tongue. Then its aluminum. An overwhelming taste and aftertaste of the vats this stuff was probably brewed in. Nearly undrinkable because of it.

M - Thin body. Overpowering carbonation. Clean finish.

Overall - still better than bud light.

1.5/5  rDev -45.3%

2.75/5  rDev +0.4%

2.2/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer looks pretty much like a macro lager. Calling it an amber is a stretch to say the least. Retention was pretty decent though, all things considered.

The aroma is slight, with a hint of sweetness and an adjunct sort of smell.

The taste is just... strange. There's this weird sweetness that I guess comes from the sorghum and sweetener. It's palatable, but just strange and hard to like for me.

The mouthfeel kinda sucks. It's super creamy, though it looks bubbly in the glass. There's a dry, kinda soapy finish to it. It's not wildly pleasant.

It's drinkable, but if I was Gluten intolerant, I'd choose other forms of booze like hard liquor over this. In similar vein as NA beers, what's the point?

2.75/5  rDev +0.4%

2.01/5  rDev -26.6%

This is the gluten-free beer I'd expect from a big brewer like Anheuser-Busch. It's a poor substitute even for an average lager, but if you can't drink lager, it's at least a low-cost option. Still it pales in comparison to Brunehaut, Green's or even American competitors like Off The Grid. The mouthfeel is strange, but the flavor is at least reminiscent of corn-based lager.

2.5/5  rDev -8.8%

2.97/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Deep caramel-amber color with a white head that dissipates really quickly. No residual head, though there is some carbonation rising from the bottom. No lacing to speak of. 2.5

S - Very sweet, fruity smell with a hint of breadiness. Smells a lot like freshly sliced honey wheat bread. 3.0

T - Again, really sweet and fruity with a little bit of bitterness that dissolves into more sweetness. A playful, yet hard to nail down kind of flavor. There's a hint of vinegary, apple cider like taste somewhere in the middle. Grassy, flowery aftertaste. I'm surprised to find that I don't dislike this beer at all...in fact, I think it's not too bad. 3.0

M - Moderately carbonated but not very thick. It could use more carbonation. 3.0

O - For a beer that's made with sorghum, I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised by this beer. I had no clue as to what it would taste like or if it would be any good at all. It's...drinkable, and I think people with celiac would find it's a pretty good substitute for beer. I think it could use more carbonation, which would help carry the flavor and keep this beer more exciting as you drink it. The farther into the pint I get the more my tongue says to my brain "yeah, I get it." But that's a small criticism compared to the freedom this offers to those with celiac. 3.0

2.5/5  rDev -8.8%