Redbridge | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.

Added by BeerBeing on 12-10-2006

View: Beers
2.59/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.33/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.11/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

2.99/5  rDev +15.9%

2.72/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle, one of those, 'oh hell, I guess I'll try it' grocery store mixed-six selections.

This beer pours a clear, bright medium copper amber colour, with one finger of loosely foamy, and mostly just fizzy dirty white head, which leaves a bit of some fat guy's cannonball splash lace around the glass as things slowly recede.

It smells of musty, floral, and faintly toasted grain (best way I can describe sorghum, I suppose), slightly off apple cider, further indistinct yeasty fruit esters, and some weak leafy, grassy hop bitters. The taste is grainy, lightly doughy, well, wet bread, dead flowers, fairly overripe apples, phenolic yeast, a hint of white pepper, a random cold medicine thing from when I was a kid, and very tame earthy, grassy hops.

The carbonation is quite light in its limited time offer frothiness, the body a so-so middleweight, and sort of smooth, the mixed and growing fruity sourness not doing anyone any favours here. It finishes off-dry, and verging on sweet - plain bready grain, and lingering yeasty fruit.

Yeah, this is certainly not as bad as I might have been expecting going in, as it bests Bards (another sorghum-only brew), but still falls short of agreeable in many other respects. The malt is too thin, the fruitiness overly musty, and the hops either unpleasant or way too under the radar. And now I know.

2.75/5  rDev +6.6%

1.08/5  rDev -58.1%

2.8/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer lacked everything. Body, aroma, head, taste, and gluten

2.58/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

1.83/5  rDev -29.1%

ever had Miller's "Sharp's" non-alcoholic brew?

Redbridge tastes very much like that, to me... nasty sweet bread flavor
with a definite tang of alcohol, kind of amazing since it's only 4% abv.

it's not a good thing at all. in fact, it was pretty gross... I am not one to pour beers (not even Earthquake!), but I came close on this one. I'm glad I got just one bottle as part of a pick-six at my local market.

if I had to limit myself to GF beer, I could drink this.... but I wouldn't enjoy it much.

1.5/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

AB just sucks. They literally don't make any beers that are worth drinking..... except for BCBS.

2.45/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

2.5/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.29/5  rDev -11.2%

2.12/5  rDev -17.8%

1.79/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

1.53/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Wow I thought this would taste better

2.96/5  rDev +14.7%

2.78/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.13/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.96/5  rDev +14.7%

1.88/5  rDev -27.1%

This has been quite a G-F weekend for yours truly! I felt really crappy all day on Friday and while I wanted to indulge, the thought of AIPAs made the stomach seas choppy and bouncy. I then hit upon all of the G-F beers that I had assembled, both in support of a (now-former) work colleague who is gluten intolerant and in the hopes of submitting an article on G-F beers for publication. My new sense of this is that it takes both immersion and dedication. One cannot sense the nuances of these beers unless you commit to solely drinking them for a period of time. I only wish that I had more to try on this journey.

From the bottle: "Gluten-Free Sorghum Beer Made Without Wheat Or Barley". For me it was the striking picture of the red covered bridge that really hit home. My late Pops was a founding member of the Lancaster (PA) Bicycle Club and the instigator of the annual Covered Bridge Ride through Lancaster County. I was the executor of his estate and I chose a like scene for the front of his funeral announcement. I still envision his rear wheel crossing into eternity any time I am near a covered bridge, red or not. R.I.P., Pops.

I Pop!, er, unscrewed the cap, just to show you the relevancy A-B/INBEV gives to its G-F consumers. An aggro pour netted a finger of foamy, light-tan head with lousy retention. Bye, Felicia! Nose had a musty, caramel apple smell. I thought of ice cream for some reason. Nowhere as sharp as Green's, but where would these guys be if they didn't polish the s**t out of their beers? Nowhere! Color was Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-plus quality clarity. These guys are the masters of filtration at the expense of flavor!Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was like fermented apple cider, but with somebody having hit the "Mute" button! This was as if you were a person new to G-F and unsure where to start, then this would be your beer. For a now-seasoned veteran, this was like G-F beer on training wheels. Holy Ho Hum and Boring, Batman! I could drink this. A G-F person could drink this. On the other hand, we could drink a glass of water, which is also G-F! Finish was as bland and indistinguishable as all of their other products. For shame! Yes, this is an alternative, but to beer? I am unamused.

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch