Redbridge | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.

Added by BeerBeing on 12-10-2006

Reviews: 213 | Ratings: 493
2.61/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A poor friend with a stress induced gluten allergy gave me this to try. The poor girl generally has good taste in beer too.

a: This was a bright, clear, shining coppery amber color. It poured with a respectable frothy white cap.

s: Sweet grains with an and hard to place spicey element. There was a hint of grassy hops. Smells more adjunct-y than beer-y.

t: It is too sweet, but not as sweet as I expected it to be. I can't quite describe the sweetness having never tasted anything like it. Its almost like a candied spice I can't identify. There was also a trace of grassy hops.

m: The body and carbonation are both fine, but the lingering sweetness lowers the score a bit.

d: This was a good bit better than the Green's "Tripel" I tried, but I hope for her sake that her stress is short lived.

2.78/5  rDev +1.8%

One finger head of loose bubbles with streaky lace with some cling. Color is a 7 on the SRM chart. Smells of molasses, and clover. Taste is sweet molasses, with some bite from the hops. Very watery feeling in my mouth. I guess it is better than no beer at all and better than many I have tasted from this brewery.

2.59/5  rDev -5.1%

A- Pours a reddish orange. Head is of relatively poor quality.
S- Smell is not terrible, but it is very distant. Perhaps the least powerful aroma of any beer Ive encountered. Toasted grain, and distant hop aroma.
T- Taste is a slight improvement. Some sour and sweet notes to it. Toasted grain, very distant hoppiness.
M- Light with slick finish.
D- It's something of a reasonnable option for gluten intolerant people. Not a great beer by most standards, but it would be better than nothing and it certainly could be worse.

3.33/5  rDev +22%

Commendations to Anheuser-Busch for supporting the growing number of people with gluten (wheat or barley) allergies. However, don't let that dissuade you from trying this one, as it stands on its own merits. Pouring a nice red-amber with average lacing, this sorghum-based beer has a sweet molasses nose, and a rich and malty flavor. The hops content seems subdued, pushing this one towards an overbearing sweetness rather than a well-balanced mix. Still, an easy-to-drink beer, and certainly steps above mainstream American lagers.

2.07/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass.

Appearance: Pours a translucent golden color with reddish hues. It's certainly darker than most macro lagers but I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it "amber." Has a thin fizzy head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.

Smell: Smells sweet with a hint of what smells like oats (must be the sorghum).

Taste: Cloyingly sweet all the way through with a strange tartness that is completely unappealing. Has a mild hop bitterness that does very little in the way of balancing the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and fizzy, like sparkling water.

Drinkability: This beer is downright terrible. The only reason I'm giving higher marks than I should is that I recognize that this beer is meant for people with a gluten allergy, not regular consumers. If I had a gluten allergy, this beer would be a lifesaver. That said, as a stand-alone beer, this is pretty terrible.

2.14/5  rDev -21.6%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Clear and copper in color, about a fingers worth of head that dissipates to a small ring with minor lacing.

S: Not a lot of smells here... A little sweet with a adjunct aroma mixed in.... not corny or hoppy just strange.

T: Sweet right up front but followed very quickly by a strange bitter aftertaste.... maybe hops but taste a little more chemical. Aftertaste finish up flat with not much there.

M: Light bodied with crisp carbonation.

D: Just not very pleasant, it is missing something.... Like half of all the good stuff that makes beer.... beer. I know this is Gluten Free and good for that. I just tried this because I've never had a Gluten Free beer and this maybe my last.... Not a great beer for my taste.

2.93/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours amber in color with a creamy off white head that lasted a while leaving decent lacing.

Smells and tastes basically malty with some sweet malt, caramel and light floral hops, maybe some hay or corn but very faint. Pretty dull beer overall, which I assume is by design to create a Gluten Free product.

Light and crisp, this went down easy but just lacks any real flavor. It wasn't bad, just not something I would seek out again.

3.71/5  rDev +35.9%

A: Apart from a lacking head (its a little old, so I'll forgive) this beer looks pretty good. Nice active carbonation, clear body, and a nice amber-golden coloring.

S: Smells...not amazing. A little grainy breadiness, a little hops, maybe, but not much. There is something maybe a little solventy, perhaps a yeast byproduct or maybe the sorghum. Either way, not something I'm liking. It's a little sweet actually, sort of anti-freeze like.

T: The taste is really not that bad. A little sweet, but the sorghum gives off a corn like taste. This seriously reminds me of sweet corn. Though, no, now I'm getting that solvent yucky taste. Not terrible, but not great. I would give this beer another shot.

M: Your typical mass produced amber lager body...not enough.

D: Deffinately drinkable and I will recommend this to people with gluten problems.

2.82/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle into shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Golden in color with a slight amber hue, with a smaller, thin-looking white head that dissipates quickly and doesn't leave much lace behind.

Smell: Citrus flavors dominate with a hint of flower.

Taste: Begins grassy with a slight lemon-like flavor, finishing with sweet/sour lemon flavors but a weak finish overall. Leaves a strange, herbal aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light body with sharp carbonation and a watery finish.

Drinkability: This beer isn't anything to write home about at all- this is the second gluten-free beer I've had and I'm really glad that my body has no problems with glutens. This beer isn't bad, but not really worth anything, either.

3.1/5  rDev +13.6%

Looks like a light beer. Light amber, perfectly clear. Some obvious peppery carbonation and some lovely champagne-like bubbles.

Smells bready, with lots of sweet lemon and tart grapefruit. The taste follows: very smooth and malty balanced with some citrus. However, a high, assaulting carbonation and a light mouthfeel detract from the experience.

Redbridge drinks like a macro with the price tag of craft. Sorry to say it, but I think I just needs gluten in my beer.

3.27/5  rDev +19.8%

Appearance: Amber body, thin white head that quickly dissipates leaving no lacing.

Aroma: Really sweet malt, mild hops.

Taste: Just as the nose predicted. This really isn't that bad.

Feel/Drink: Light mouthfeel, drinkablity isn't bad at all. I'd be happy to drink this if I had a gluten alergy.

3.08/5  rDev +12.8%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine March 2007.

Mainstream media is all over this beer because it's being marketed as gluten-free, but, oddly, the label doesn't use that term. Regardless, it's good to see another brewery catering to beer lovers who have celiac disease.

Pours with a hefty, off-white lace and leaves a patchy, web-like trail down the glass. Crystal-clear, copper-col- ored brew is darker than we thought. Clean, candy-like sweetness--almost a fresh bubble gum or plain taffy aroma--with a light, floral perfume tone in the back. Crisp and slick on the pal- ate, with a light-to-medium body. A peculiar sweetness comes forward first--sug- ar with a faint mineral bite similar to molasses. Quick snapback from the hops, but then more sweetness; slightly cloying but not in the same way as malt; a little more complex. Within the sweetness is a mealy grassiness that just won't shake off. Finishes steely and sweet.

An acquired taste, but if you have celiac disease, this would be your savior right now. Set aside all of that and Redbridge is a most interesting beer, and worth a try if you like your beer on the sweet side. We could see pairing this with a slow-cooked pot roast and roasted root vegetables.

2.58/5  rDev -5.5%

Redbridge pours a light caramel color with a transparent body and an interesting nose that combines caramel and light molasses. There is virtually no head of foam on this beer and the small amount present disappears in less than one minute. The flavors I notice are that of light fruit, mostly apple; sugar, caramel; light cider; light hops; and light grain/bread. I'm not really a big fan of this, but I believe it was my first gluten free beer.

3.15/5  rDev +15.4%

12 OZ. brown bottle, poured a light amber/orangey copper color, little head that disappears fast to nithing. Aroma i guess is the Sorghum? Ive never had anything like this before so i cannot tell. It smells medicinal and lightly woody, caramel malt almost. Taste is very medicinal and some wood going on with a almost metallic blood note. Very unique and different taste, it isnt bad just different. Feel is on the lighter side with alot of carbonation hitting the tongue. Easily drinkable and sessionable, but i can see this taste being more love it or hate it. Give this a try its very interesting, ill have to take a look for more of this style of beer.

3.63/5  rDev +33%

Ok, wanted to try a Gluten free beer, which this mainly is, compare to a red amber.

Pours a nice clear amber into the Saison Dupoint glass, tan head froths up, but dies quickly - not unexpected with the lack of grain sugars.

Aroma is unique without the malty grain - more of a woody molasses. Same with the quaff - the flavor is one-of-a-kind in here, a sweetish wood, maybe oak. Not something I would want to drink on a standard basis, but...

Not having tried the gluten free beer style before, if unable to drink "regular" styles, I could find these refreshing on a hot summer day. Maybe even a cold winter nite.

3.3/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

You know, I don't have a gluten wheat allergy, so I don't really see why I would even try this. But my roommates girlfriend does, and this was brought home and I gave it a go. It has a carbonated bubbliness to it. It's very alcohol tasting. Some lime in there? I'm almost thinking gin and tonic in a beer.

3.18/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has A caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of hops and yeast. Taste is of hops, some notes of citrus. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall a little different and not a bad beer at all.

3.33/5  rDev +22%

A strange beer.

Being a gluten free beer I expected it to be strange tasting but never thought it would be as sweet as it is.

Nice amber color, with barely any head.
Smells like esters and sweet yeasts.
Tastes like sweetness, but not from anything I have tasted in my life before.

I would buy it again if I was on a gluten free diet.

3.6/5  rDev +31.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a clear orange with a respectable head that faded to a patchy skin. The aroma was mildly malt. The taste was citrus, more lemon that grapefruit, with a carbonated malty after taste. The feel was light to medium bodied with good carbonation. Drinkability was good.

I had bought this by mistake and when I noticed the "Gluten Free" and realized who the brewer was, I thought Oh oh. Redbridge was surprisingly good though. Better than a lot of other craft/import lagers (red or otherwise). Don't get me wrong, this is not my new go to beer, but I find it very respectable.

3.8/5  rDev +39.2%

Pours light copper with a modest white head that leaves globs of lacing.

Aroma is caramel malt and tropical fruit.

Taste is toasty, peaty caramel malt. Hints of toffee. Nutty, and woody, with mild earthy hop. Finish is sweet, with lingering dark fruit notes.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

A decent and flavorful Amber. Worth a try.

3.38/5  rDev +23.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a Nonic. Julian date of 09215 (Aug. 03) on label. Also presents the Nutrition Facts. Interesting...

A - Totally clear light golden amber with next to no bubbles rising up. Starts with a big fluffy off-white head that lowers slowly to a thin layer and leaves lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - An obvious lack of typical beer ingredients on the nose with a low hop presence and a tiny touch of soap. Not terrible.

T - I first noticed the addition of some sort of artificial sweetener that doesn't seem to belong. Besides that it really seems to come as close to a "real" beer as possible. Finishes with a light beer / soda flavor. Hmm...

M - Light bodied and somewhat oily, it's very crisp with a sharp carbonation bite to the finish.

D - I wouldn't really want more than one of these but if I couldn't have gluten, it wouldn't be a bad option.

[I must say I love the label design of this beer. Very well done. (Not the one pictured.)]

2.35/5  rDev -13.9%

12 Ounce brown bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Golden color, not very amber in color with an off white head

Smell: Sweet malty smell with a fake citrus scent in the background

Taste: There is a imitation sweetness with an aftertaste similar to a diet pop. Very bizarre taste which is hard to describe.

2.85/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light brown color, with a short off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of tea, citrus, caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with semi-sweet flavors of tea, caramel, spices and some citrus. Then there's a bitter bite that doesn't seem to come from the mild hops presence and there doesn't seem to have the best balance either. The after-taste is slightly bitter.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, there are definitely several other organic beers that I would pick before this one.

1.88/5  rDev -31.1%

When I first poured this beer, it formed a shallow layer of white head which dissapeared almost instantly. The look is a see-through brownish red which let me know right away that it will lack in flavor.

The smell is very sweet and dry with very little bitterness present.

It tastes very much like it smells and is much too sweet for my taste. When I think of beer, I think of something that at least has some bitterness and balance but this one is pure sweetness. It also leaves a fruity aftertaste which reminds me of applesauce. Really not a typical beer taste and not in a good way.

I was expecting something different and original and it sure was different but I will not be buying it again.

2.64/5  rDev -3.3%

Another gluten free offering and it appears this one is made with sorghum as the sole grain, I hope this is better than the Green's Quest I had a while back. Pours a very light, crystal clear copper color with a nice, large light beige head that fades at an average clip and leaves some lacing on the glass. Not a bad looking beer at all.

Nose consists mainly of mild earthy and pine hops and a bit of sweetness, which I am assuming is a sorghum type aroma as I have no idea what malted sorghum smells like.

Taste is interesting, quite earthy with a fair amount of leafy hop flavor. There is definitely plenty of sweetness there, but it is not overly distracting. It has some grape flavors in it and lends itself a mild wine-like characteristic. Without the malted barley, it really loses quite a bit of the qualities that make a beer a beer. It is far removed from an amber ale, but I feel that I am rating this one more as a gluten free offering. Way better than the only other gluten-free beer I have had. Unfortunately, I think if I was intolerant to gluten, I would not drink any beer at all and probably stick to wine.

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch