Redbridge | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.

Added by BeerBeing on 12-10-2006

Reviews: 213 | Ratings: 493
2.23/5  rDev -18.3%

A: Pours a light amber color with a head that fizzles out as quickly as it's poured

S: A pronounced metallic twang along with what I presume is the sorghum. Almost garbage-like... not very good

T: Same as the smell, only slightly better. Almost has a sour/acidic quality to it that actually adds to the profile, which is a good thing

M: Light bodied with over the top carbonation

O: Can I please have my wheat and/or barley back? Sorghum just doesn't cut it in the flavor department. Honestly, if I had a gluten allergy, I'd still stay clear of this beer. There are better alternatives that actually have taste and flavor besides pure sorghum. At least the big boys show some effort in making beer for those with such an unfortunate allergy as gluten, but it's not a very good one. People with these allergies can still taste, ya know

2.21/5  rDev -19%

L - Gold with some red tones, nearly transparent.

S - Odd lack of aroma. A bit sweet, similar to hard cider.

T: Sweet flavor, again similar to cider but more bready/earthy due to the sorghum. Similar to an O'Douls or Sharps in that it's just bland ale.

M: If it don't taste good it ain't gonna feel good.

O: My local shop has a 'clearance rack' where the owner puts single bottles out. This one was labeled 99 cents so I decided to try it. I told him later how bad this beer was, he laughed and said "haven't had one good review yet, trying to get rid of it. Won't be ordering that one again." Thankfully I'm not limited to gluten-free beer, my sympathy to those who are.

2.21/5  rDev -19%

Poured a meager 1/4" head which almost immediately disappeared completely. Looks like a clear glass of iced tea. I detect next to no smell, even after it warmed. Taste is a fairly standard BMC profile and they worked into it that slight zing in the aftertaste you get from the Anheuser family. There was also something I found hard to describe in the taste which in my notes I put down as "from a dirty glass" but which I think another better described as a hint of watered down maple syrup. All-in-all, if you can't have beer due to gluten allergies then I'm glad they made this for you. But if you don't have that kind of allergy then skip this for virtually any other real beer.

2.2/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer looks pretty much like a macro lager. Calling it an amber is a stretch to say the least. Retention was pretty decent though, all things considered.

The aroma is slight, with a hint of sweetness and an adjunct sort of smell.

The taste is just... strange. There's this weird sweetness that I guess comes from the sorghum and sweetener. It's palatable, but just strange and hard to like for me.

The mouthfeel kinda sucks. It's super creamy, though it looks bubbly in the glass. There's a dry, kinda soapy finish to it. It's not wildly pleasant.

It's drinkable, but if I was Gluten intolerant, I'd choose other forms of booze like hard liquor over this. In similar vein as NA beers, what's the point?

2.2/5  rDev -19.4%

A sourghum beer? Not so good. I see potential though.

A- Very clear amber color with thin whispy white head, no retention and no lace.

S- Very faint, a sweet caramel/toffee smell faint floral notes.

T- Follows the nose. Very watery, with bitter floral notes and slight sweet caramel tones.

M - Thin and watery

D- very watery, I had a hard time.

2.14/5  rDev -21.6%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Clear and copper in color, about a fingers worth of head that dissipates to a small ring with minor lacing.

S: Not a lot of smells here... A little sweet with a adjunct aroma mixed in.... not corny or hoppy just strange.

T: Sweet right up front but followed very quickly by a strange bitter aftertaste.... maybe hops but taste a little more chemical. Aftertaste finish up flat with not much there.

M: Light bodied with crisp carbonation.

D: Just not very pleasant, it is missing something.... Like half of all the good stuff that makes beer.... beer. I know this is Gluten Free and good for that. I just tried this because I've never had a Gluten Free beer and this maybe my last.... Not a great beer for my taste.

2.13/5  rDev -22%

Pours out to a thin bubbly white head and amber color. No real head retention to speak of. Aroma is berry, apple and a hint of A-B banana and hop-skunk. Flavor is wine-like, reminds me of sherry or muscadine but is is very faint with some rubbery, skunky hops in the finish. Nothing resembling malt or cereal grain is in this brew. Mouthfeel for a low-point beer is average. Overall, this is a different taste sensation more like a watered down melomel or a cider and not much like beer, unless you count bad beer.

2.12/5  rDev -22.3%

I don't believe it, but I'm actually reviewing an Anheuser-Busch beer. At least it's not Bud Light... but we'll see if I end up eating my words after this one.

A - body of the beer is exactly the color of apple juice, and just as clear. Lots of carbonation in this beer as evidenced by the streams of bubbles coming up the glass. Head is coarse white foam that fades quickly, but is replaced by a finer head from the bubbles rising from the bottom. No lacing.

S - Slightly sherry-like and medicinal. Hints of fruity cider and sweet hard candy.

T - Sweet, slightly tangy and fruity up front. Just sort of bland and flavorless as it moves over my tongue. Then its aluminum. An overwhelming taste and aftertaste of the vats this stuff was probably brewed in. Nearly undrinkable because of it.

M - Thin body. Overpowering carbonation. Clean finish.

Overall - still better than bud light.

2.1/5  rDev -23.1%

12 oz. bottle. Pours an amber color, with a minimal frothy, white head. Aroma is caramel, slight hop nose. Flavor starts all sweet, with a touch of a bitter hoppy finish. Not all that bad for a sorghum beer. watery finish. Nice for those with gluten issues.

2.09/5  rDev -23.4%

This beer has more of a grassy taste than i've ever had before. I guess thats the sorghum i'm tasting i'd imagine since I don't recall ever having a beer with sorghum before. It takes a little getting used to but it could be worse, not something i'd ever buy again though.

2.07/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass.

Appearance: Pours a translucent golden color with reddish hues. It's certainly darker than most macro lagers but I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it "amber." Has a thin fizzy head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.

Smell: Smells sweet with a hint of what smells like oats (must be the sorghum).

Taste: Cloyingly sweet all the way through with a strange tartness that is completely unappealing. Has a mild hop bitterness that does very little in the way of balancing the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and fizzy, like sparkling water.

Drinkability: This beer is downright terrible. The only reason I'm giving higher marks than I should is that I recognize that this beer is meant for people with a gluten allergy, not regular consumers. If I had a gluten allergy, this beer would be a lifesaver. That said, as a stand-alone beer, this is pretty terrible.

2.04/5  rDev -25.3%

Little to no head atop this amber-hued, listless body. Hmmm, not a good start.

Slightly sugary scent with mildly bitter aromatics. Smells like a decent amber although I still am waiting for the bottom to drop out with a gluten-free beer...

...and it does. Bitter in all the wrong ways as if it weren't so much a product of hopping but of something gone awry. Musty and artificially sweet at once, not a pretty site.

Mouthfeel is actually the worst part of this beer. It manages to be sticky-feeling without being viscous, mouth-puckering without being hoppy. Very poor in this area.

Not enjoyable at all for me although it is hard for me to hate this beer outright as A-B is trying to give an alternative to those who must/desire to mainatin a gluten-free diet. For that I commend them although I for one consider myself fortunate to have no such restrictions upon my diet after trying this.

2.02/5  rDev -26%

[Best served in a Lager glass]

Poured a clear medium amber with virtually no head and no lacing at all. The aroma was of a cereal malt, resin hops and a horse blanket yeast. It tasted lightly bitter from start to finish with bearly any flavor at all. Mouthfeel was light in body and watery in texture with a very flat carbonation. Overall it is typical brew from Anheuser-Busch InBev and will most likely be my last Gluten-free beer as well.

2.01/5  rDev -26.4%

This is the gluten-free beer I'd expect from a big brewer like Anheuser-Busch. It's a poor substitute even for an average lager, but if you can't drink lager, it's at least a low-cost option. Still it pales in comparison to Brunehaut, Green's or even American competitors like Off The Grid. The mouthfeel is strange, but the flavor is at least reminiscent of corn-based lager.

Jeesh, quite the trial brew here or what? I would think they could come up with some better ideas than this.

A bit amber in color, but not enough so. A bit "red" in the taste, but not enough so. A bit better than most of their offerings in the body and mouthfeel, but not enough. And it leaves a strange aftertaste. Really not sure what to make of this one, but I know I dont like it. It has an oddly dry and maybe fruity aftertaste. Something just doesnt match up well in this one.

They might be slowly headed in the right direction with a beer like this, but theres a lot of room for progress yet.

1.98/5  rDev -27.5%

I know this gluten-free and thus one of the only beers available for a myriad of people with certain medical conditions, in which gluten is a no no.

With that being said, I applaud A-B for making this beer. Reaching out to an otherwise beerless people.

However, it tastes bad. It reminds me of children's medicine. The sweetness seems really articfical.

Almost like a facade of beer. A shadow of beer. It is hard to drink, and that is my honest opinion.

1.91/5  rDev -30%

12oz bottle thanks to Arbitrator...I guess. Arbitrator described this as a "rare Portland tick." As Phil Collins would said, that was ALL A PACK OF LIES! This beer is not rare or from Portland, although it was indeed a tick. I was expecting DAVE and got this! Talk about your all-time disappointments.

Clear amber pour with a small off-white head that fades.

Old, sherry-like malty aroma. Slightly medicinal.

Big sherry flavor with a little caramel and a weird plasticky note. Not good.

Medium-light bodied with low carbonation level.

Not very good, and it certainly isn't Hair of the Dog Dave, dammit.

1.88/5  rDev -31.1%

This has been quite a G-F weekend for yours truly! I felt really crappy all day on Friday and while I wanted to indulge, the thought of AIPAs made the stomach seas choppy and bouncy. I then hit upon all of the G-F beers that I had assembled, both in support of a (now-former) work colleague who is gluten intolerant and in the hopes of submitting an article on G-F beers for publication. My new sense of this is that it takes both immersion and dedication. One cannot sense the nuances of these beers unless you commit to solely drinking them for a period of time. I only wish that I had more to try on this journey.

From the bottle: "Gluten-Free Sorghum Beer Made Without Wheat Or Barley". For me it was the striking picture of the red covered bridge that really hit home. My late Pops was a founding member of the Lancaster (PA) Bicycle Club and the instigator of the annual Covered Bridge Ride through Lancaster County. I was the executor of his estate and I chose a like scene for the front of his funeral announcement. I still envision his rear wheel crossing into eternity any time I am near a covered bridge, red or not. R.I.P., Pops.

I Pop!, er, unscrewed the cap, just to show you the relevancy A-B/INBEV gives to its G-F consumers. An aggro pour netted a finger of foamy, light-tan head with lousy retention. Bye, Felicia! Nose had a musty, caramel apple smell. I thought of ice cream for some reason. Nowhere as sharp as Green's, but where would these guys be if they didn't polish the s**t out of their beers? Nowhere! Color was Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-plus quality clarity. These guys are the masters of filtration at the expense of flavor!Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was like fermented apple cider, but with somebody having hit the "Mute" button! This was as if you were a person new to G-F and unsure where to start, then this would be your beer. For a now-seasoned veteran, this was like G-F beer on training wheels. Holy Ho Hum and Boring, Batman! I could drink this. A G-F person could drink this. On the other hand, we could drink a glass of water, which is also G-F! Finish was as bland and indistinguishable as all of their other products. For shame! Yes, this is an alternative, but to beer? I am unamused.

1.88/5  rDev -31.1%

When I first poured this beer, it formed a shallow layer of white head which dissapeared almost instantly. The look is a see-through brownish red which let me know right away that it will lack in flavor.

The smell is very sweet and dry with very little bitterness present.

It tastes very much like it smells and is much too sweet for my taste. When I think of beer, I think of something that at least has some bitterness and balance but this one is pure sweetness. It also leaves a fruity aftertaste which reminds me of applesauce. Really not a typical beer taste and not in a good way.

I was expecting something different and original and it sure was different but I will not be buying it again.

1.85/5  rDev -32.2%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass, then promptly dumped half into the toilet.
Aroma- smells like beer
Appearance- Looks like beer
Taste- Horrid, if you can't have gluten, then I guess you should drink wine. this is awful
Palate- not sure, couldn't get the taste out of my mouth.
Overall- really!! avoid, drink tap water.

1.84/5  rDev -32.6%

Simply awful. Did not realize it was a gluten free beer mad by AB. Better off drinking Coors Light, unless you really need something gluten free, but then why even drink beer?

1.83/5  rDev -33%

ever had Miller's "Sharp's" non-alcoholic brew?

Redbridge tastes very much like that, to me... nasty sweet bread flavor
with a definite tang of alcohol, kind of amazing since it's only 4% abv.

it's not a good thing at all. in fact, it was pretty gross... I am not one to pour beers (not even Earthquake!), but I came close on this one. I'm glad I got just one bottle as part of a pick-six at my local market.

if I had to limit myself to GF beer, I could drink this.... but I wouldn't enjoy it much.

1.83/5  rDev -33%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Redbridge is a very clear golden beer with a white head that fades to a thin film and leaves decent lacing. It has a faint, sweet, sorghum aroma with a note of grass. It's very light bodied and watery with a chalky finish. There's hardly any flavor at all. There's a light sweetness in the finish. It tastes like non alcoholic beer. Nothing to see here; move along.

1.81/5  rDev -33.7%

When I first smelled this beer, I thought the smell was off like burnt rubber and sweet. When poured, the beer was an amber color with little to no head that disappeared quickly. The mouthfeel was very light and tasted watered down with sorghum flavors, but still lacking a lasting flavor that would make me want to drink. In this case, I wouldn't choose this beer to drink with a gluten allergy.

1.8/5  rDev -34.1%

This was the very first gluten free beer I had once I was diagnosed with Celiac. I waited and waited for this to come out and when it did, I thought it was the best thing in the world. Not being able to drink regular beer really changes things. After 10 years or so of having Celiac and about 5-6 (can't quite remember when this came out) years of drinking this, there are so many better options. In a glass or out of the bottle, this just doesn't have the taste of an Omission of Green's. If this is all that's around , I'll drink it but I'd much rather have something else.

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch