Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

RedbridgeRedbridge

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.

Added by BeerBeing on 12-10-2006

Reviews: 211 | Ratings: 488
2.43/5  rDev -11.3%

12oz bottle snagged from the wife's sixer, poured into a Ram pint shaker.

A: Pours a perfectly clear straw color with a gold-like shade to it, just darker than standard BMC...soapy white head fizzles quickly away, little-to-no-lace.

S: Clean, grain sweetness. Hints of red apples and cider. Maybe a ghostlike suggestion of honey...overall the aroma doesn't strike me as extremely "beer-like", not even for a light lager.

T: Follows the nose...tons of grain sweetness (though its not a 'malty' flavor)...absolutely ZERO hop presence or bitterness in this thing...warm cider and faint fruitiness emerges.

MF: Watery but refreshing...mouthfeel has lower carbonation than I expected. Thin but not unpleasant.

O: Really? It must be a lot harder to make GF beer than I think. This is pathetic.

2.44/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a crystal clear medium golden yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation rising quickly from the bottom of the glass and faint bright yellow highlights. The beer has a two finger tall sudsy foamy light beige head that reduces to a medium to large sized patch of medium thick film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of grassy hops, fruity yeast, and a hint of toasted sorghum malts.

T: Upfront there is a light flavor of toasted sorghum malts with a slight hint of something metallic/chemically/medicinal in it. That is followed by a light flavor of slightly sour green apple yeast and a touch of grassy hops which fades quickly. Minimal amounts of bitterness which does not linger but there is something slightly unpleasant left behind after sipping this one.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: Not a great beer by any stretch of the imagination - I guess I should not be surprised since it is essentially a sorghum version of a BMC beer. Rather bland with something unpleasant in the finish, this is not a beer I will be grabbing again anytime soon. Much better gluten-free options out there.

2.45/5  rDev -10.6%

This is a very Meh beer overall. Its not terrible, but its not remarkable, either. Its very reminiscent of other wheat beers, though it contains no wheat. It's smooth drinking and refreshing, but does have a (hard to describe) off taste on the back end. Perhaps thats the sorghum? Not sure. Its not very hoppy, though you can taste the hops. I'm not picking up any fruit - some spice - pepper/coriander perhaps?

2.46/5  rDev -10.2%

Don't know why I'm drinking this. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a golden clear color. Almost honey. Ring of head. No lacing.

Aroma is weird. Has a funkiness to it. Don't know how to describe it. Weird maltiness.

Taste is the same. Has a tartness in the finish. And the flavors are weird. Don't know how to describe them.

Mouthfeel is light and nice carb.

Overall a weird beer. It's not like it's a drain pour just weird. Will probably never drink this one again.

2.46/5  rDev -10.2%

Part of a mixed six pack. Purchased one bottle out of curiosity to try. I was aware this is an AB product at the time of purchase.

Appearance: Initially I was not sure of the style so I poured it into a pint glass figuring it would be the best choice. Th beer is amber in color, clear, with a thin head. Head fades quickly and leaves no lacing.

Smell: A somewhat fruity scent on the first sniff (berries, which surpised me). A bit sweet smelling and lacks anything hoppy (no surprise).

Taste: Some of the aformentioned "berry-ness" in the flavor (not sure where this comes from), makeing this a little sweet, with no bitterness. I expected the beer to be a bit grainy, I got non of that.

Mouthfeel: Light in body with decent carbonation. I was not expecting a dark "heavy" beer, so I guess this falls in line.

Drinkability: OK, not worth purchasing unless you have too. Even then, if this is the best one can do, I'd skip drinking beer.

2.48/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours an amber gold with a thin sudsy head that disappears relatively quickly.

Smells of dry hops and an unfamiliar aroma of malt.

The taste is bland. There is a hint of smokiness in the aftertaste which is a nice surprise, but the hops don't come through in the taste at all. Has a bit of a mineral water taste to it. The absence of typical beer flavors is noticeable.

Mouthfeel is thick and the carbonation is coarse and sparse. Like there are less bubbles than normal but they are bigger.

An okay beer. I guess it would do the job if I could consume gluten since its a sorghum beer. Better than nothing. But let's just say I'm glad gluten doesn't bother me!

2.5/5  rDev -8.8%

Got this in at the shop a couple of weeks ago and I figured that, in the interest of customer service, I needed to try it. Pours a deep golden color topped by a finger of creamy off-white head that is pretty quick to vanish. Very still, almost no carbonation in the body. Aroma is a bit sweet - I guess that's what sorghum smells like. Palate is mildly sweet up front, then develops a dry, rather harsh bitterness that doesn't seem to come from any hops. Mouthfeel is a little dry and chalky, kind of odd.
I suppose if misfortune were to befall me and I were unable to drink beer brewed with malt, this would be an acceptable approximation. More likely, though, I'd stick with whisky.

2.5/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Smells and tastes a lot like bud. The yeast strain comes through along with the different malt flavor of sorghum and corn. It's not bad for an american adjunct lager made out of pure adjunct.

A) clear darker then most lagers

S) lager yeast and corn

T) average and palatable I imagine this to be the beer in 1984

M) thin

O) I would drink this again though it's boring

2.55/5  rDev -6.9%

My 1st industrial sorgrum beer, here goes (expectations are low)

Pours an effervescent bronze with 1 finger+ of eggshell white head. Above average lacing & a little bit of head retention

S: Very corny & slight perfumy notes

T: Honey notes along with some astrigency right up front. I also get a little orange hop note. I also pick up some clover honey& just a touch of molasess notes as this warms along with grainyness. Finishes dry, very grainy, grassy with more honey or maybe corn syrup is more accurate?

MF: Light & sprtizy. I also get a slight syruppy feel, starts to leave an unpleasant sensation on the roof of my mouth

The warmer this got, the harder it was to drink. This beer is a terrible amber, might've passed better as an American Macro. This beer makes me very glad I have no gluten issues!

2.56/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from bottle.

A: not much distinction, slight amber color, no head. S: fairly empty. I guess I am smelling sorghum? T: generic, kind of like a weak red ale. Nothing too noteworthy. F: disappointing, lacks any type of bite, although not offensive. O: I guess it could be worse, it's passable for GF but I doubt I will ever have another

2.57/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12-oz bottle into nonic pub glass

A - 2 fingers off-white head over a crystal-clear body of amber, low amount of visible carbonation, not much to say about lacing on the glass or head retention

S - sweet grainy smell; not much to it

T - sugary sweetness up front, grassy hops move in, more sweetness in the finish

M - slick light/medium body, medium carbonation

O - I had never had a sorghum beer before--picked this one up for a gluten-free guest. I'm not too impressed. The taste is odd and it's a little on the watery side.

2.58/5  rDev -5.8%

Redbridge pours a light caramel color with a transparent body and an interesting nose that combines caramel and light molasses. There is virtually no head of foam on this beer and the small amount present disappears in less than one minute. The flavors I notice are that of light fruit, mostly apple; sugar, caramel; light cider; light hops; and light grain/bread. I'm not really a big fan of this, but I believe it was my first gluten free beer.

2.58/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: A Copperish bronze slightly yellowish. There is not much lace and has a little head.

Smell: Smells of cheap hops but at the same time sweet.

Taste: Sweet candy taste really fruity but hard to describe. The aftertaste is kind of flat. It is kind of like Turkish Delight.

Mouthfeel: Watery.

Drinkability: Not as bad as I heard but I don't plan on buying it again.

12oz brown bottle

Redbridge was an amber color with good clarity. It had a white head that quickly dissipated to a thin ring with very little lace. The aroma was light with a touch of hops. The taste when was not very appealing and reminded me of a bad batch of amber ale I brewed at home a couple years ago, sweet with a wierd twang. It was fairly light bodied with plenty of carbonation. Drinkability is poor due to the flavor. If you don't have celiac disease, avoid this beer, If you do, it may be worth a try.

2.59/5  rDev -5.5%

A- Pours a reddish orange. Head is of relatively poor quality.
S- Smell is not terrible, but it is very distant. Perhaps the least powerful aroma of any beer Ive encountered. Toasted grain, and distant hop aroma.
T- Taste is a slight improvement. Some sour and sweet notes to it. Toasted grain, very distant hoppiness.
M- Light with slick finish.
D- It's something of a reasonnable option for gluten intolerant people. Not a great beer by most standards, but it would be better than nothing and it certainly could be worse.

2.59/5  rDev -5.5%

A - dark gold in color. Extremely fizzy head that disappears quickly. No lacing at all. Visible carbonation. Poured out and looks like apple soda.

S - Very light smell. Not bad though. I pick up faint citric hops. Sour apple and mildew. Strange aroma. Don't know if this is bad or not.

T - Taste a bit like molasses and hops. What a weak taste. Not much going on at all.

M - Light bodied and sorta watery. Carbonation is a bit high. Just not enough body on it.

O - Not a very good beer. Its not horrible in the sense that it taste bad....just not good.

2.61/5  rDev -4.7%

Dark brown 12oz bottle. Covered bridge scenery on the red label.
Clear copper body with lots of carbonation. Creamy white head with some medium bubbles. Decent retention and lace.
Very mild scent, maybe some sourness to it.
Sweet initial flavor but jumps right into a sour aftertaste that is fairly unpleasant.
Medium body and some coating.
Not very drinkable.

-Oelergud

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A poor friend with a stress induced gluten allergy gave me this to try. The poor girl generally has good taste in beer too.

a: This was a bright, clear, shining coppery amber color. It poured with a respectable frothy white cap.

s: Sweet grains with an and hard to place spicey element. There was a hint of grassy hops. Smells more adjunct-y than beer-y.

t: It is too sweet, but not as sweet as I expected it to be. I can't quite describe the sweetness having never tasted anything like it. Its almost like a candied spice I can't identify. There was also a trace of grassy hops.

m: The body and carbonation are both fine, but the lingering sweetness lowers the score a bit.

d: This was a good bit better than the Green's "Tripel" I tried, but I hope for her sake that her stress is short lived.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A - Nice dark copper color, with an off white slightly foamy head that dissipated rather quickly. Some nice lacing.

S - Very faint, a little bit of earthy grains

T - A bit on the weak side, it felt a little bit watery at times.

M - Felt good in the mouth.

O - I don't have any gluten allergies, however, for people that do, this beer is surely a blessing.

2.64/5  rDev -3.6%

Another gluten free offering and it appears this one is made with sorghum as the sole grain, I hope this is better than the Green's Quest I had a while back. Pours a very light, crystal clear copper color with a nice, large light beige head that fades at an average clip and leaves some lacing on the glass. Not a bad looking beer at all.

Nose consists mainly of mild earthy and pine hops and a bit of sweetness, which I am assuming is a sorghum type aroma as I have no idea what malted sorghum smells like.

Taste is interesting, quite earthy with a fair amount of leafy hop flavor. There is definitely plenty of sweetness there, but it is not overly distracting. It has some grape flavors in it and lends itself a mild wine-like characteristic. Without the malted barley, it really loses quite a bit of the qualities that make a beer a beer. It is far removed from an amber ale, but I feel that I am rating this one more as a gluten free offering. Way better than the only other gluten-free beer I have had. Unfortunately, I think if I was intolerant to gluten, I would not drink any beer at all and probably stick to wine.

2.66/5  rDev -2.9%

This beer has the most bizarre odor. It smells like an empty grain silo. Flavor is actually not awful for a gluten-free beer, and is the best of the ones I've had. If I had a gluten allergy and I didn't succumb to a lack-of-beer-depression, I would drink this.

Appearance is a crystal clear light red. Head is present (a plus) although small and commercial looking. Flavor is faint and watery but lightly hoppy. Mouthfeel is slick and thin, like too warm public swimming pool water.

2.68/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured out as a reddish amber color with a fizzy white head on top. No head retention or lacing here. The Smell is different, it's not exactly grainy but I think I can tell that it has something in there since its gluten free. There are some yeast aromas and maybe a touch of hops but nothing else really. The taste of the beer is rather bland in my opinion, the flavors are earthy and nothing really pops out otherwise. The mouthfeel is arbonated and light bodied, drinkable but not really all that pleasing. Overall it was decent but nothing I would purchase in the future.

2.69/5  rDev -1.8%

This beer pours a deep copper in color with a mild white head. At first waft all I smell is a metallic note. I smell again and get a mild hit of green apple. The taste is very similar to the nose, quite mild however I do taste an apparent green apple flavor. The after taste is that of the bottle cap, metal! Body is light with a nice tingly effervescents. Not really for me but if you can't have wheat or barley, drink up!

2.69/5  rDev -1.8%

Bottle into Sam Adams glass.

Nice golden color. Hardly any head, what's there quickly disappears. Smells faintly of a little noble hop. The taste is grassy, carbonic, astringent. The astringency carries through to the aftertaste. The taste is bitter or acidic, in an unrefined sort of way. If I squint the right way or chug it without thought to the flavor it almost tastes like beer. Let it linger in your mouth for a moment, though, and you'll catch the full range of grass.

As it warms slightly, the biting carbonation reduces a little and it becomes more palatable.

2.71/5  rDev -1.1%

A: Pours a clear copper red with a two-finger tan head that fades to virtually nothing, leaving no lacing to speak of.

S: The nose is actually quite impressive. There's a rich toffee-like candy and an interesting yeastiness that almost hints at Belgium. No real hop aroma, but it smells much better than Bud ever did.

T: Most beers start sweet and then develop or not. This one starts with virtually no taste at all, then develops to a cloying artificial sweetness. Then an odd dryness kicks in just after the mid-palate. The finish returns to the cloying saccharine sweetness, which persists well into the aftertaste.

M: Light-to-medium bodied with light carbonation.

O: By now, I've had most of the major gluten-free beers (we have a friend with Celiac's, and as a brewer, I'm curious about sorghum-based beers). I truly do believe that the American lager styles simply don't work well for gluten-free. The Belgian styles I find to be better, and I believe that somebody can make a decent sorghum stout, but for some reason the market seems to be driven by people wanting a gluten-free Bud.

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch