Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Redbridge | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.

Added by BeerBeing on 12-10-2006

2.84/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

2.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Not very fond of gluten-free beers, but I guess this one was just okay.

2.74/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.21/5  rDev -14%

L - Gold with some red tones, nearly transparent.

S - Odd lack of aroma. A bit sweet, similar to hard cider.

T: Sweet flavor, again similar to cider but more bready/earthy due to the sorghum. Similar to an O'Douls or Sharps in that it's just bland ale.

M: If it don't taste good it ain't gonna feel good.

O: My local shop has a 'clearance rack' where the owner puts single bottles out. This one was labeled 99 cents so I decided to try it. I told him later how bad this beer was, he laughed and said "haven't had one good review yet, trying to get rid of it. Won't be ordering that one again." Thankfully I'm not limited to gluten-free beer, my sympathy to those who are.

2.69/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.99/5  rDev +16.3%

2.75/5  rDev +7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.86/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.56/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from bottle.

A: not much distinction, slight amber color, no head. S: fairly empty. I guess I am smelling sorghum? T: generic, kind of like a weak red ale. Nothing too noteworthy. F: disappointing, lacks any type of bite, although not offensive. O: I guess it could be worse, it's passable for GF but I doubt I will ever have another

2.25/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.74/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.76/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

3.09/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

3.23/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

This is a really inoffensive beer and a good cheap option for those who need gluten-free options. When I saw this was from Anheuser-Busch I groaned (they have a habit of hiding their name on many of their brews or just redacting it completely on some such as on Wild Blue) but this is one of their better offerings I've had, maybe the best. The ratings on here don't do it justice.

Appearance is very okay. Thin white head that dissipates quickly. Smell is sweet, almost reminds me of sangria or brandy. Mouthfeel is surprisingly good, and it goes down really smooth for an A-B beer. Taste is nothing extraordinary obviously but isn't outright bad. If this had a higher ABV I think it'd be a genuinely decent cheap beer to pound, up there with the likes of Blue Moon.

As far as red lagers made by macrobreweries go, I think this beats out George Killian's.

2.81/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

1.99/5  rDev -22.6%

3.63/5  rDev +41.2%

Best gluten-free brew I've had so far, yet has a few unique characteristics that differentiates itself from the standard beer. The scent has floral notes, whereas the taste reveals a hint of a sort of fruit, like a crisp applely-peach to finish. The beer could use some longer lasting froth, but all-in-all, a satisfying experience that encourages me to say, "yes, I'll have another. Thanks."

2.59/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.33/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.11/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

2.99/5  rDev +16.3%

2.72/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle, one of those, 'oh hell, I guess I'll try it' grocery store mixed-six selections.

This beer pours a clear, bright medium copper amber colour, with one finger of loosely foamy, and mostly just fizzy dirty white head, which leaves a bit of some fat guy's cannonball splash lace around the glass as things slowly recede.

It smells of musty, floral, and faintly toasted grain (best way I can describe sorghum, I suppose), slightly off apple cider, further indistinct yeasty fruit esters, and some weak leafy, grassy hop bitters. The taste is grainy, lightly doughy, well, wet bread, dead flowers, fairly overripe apples, phenolic yeast, a hint of white pepper, a random cold medicine thing from when I was a kid, and very tame earthy, grassy hops.

The carbonation is quite light in its limited time offer frothiness, the body a so-so middleweight, and sort of smooth, the mixed and growing fruity sourness not doing anyone any favours here. It finishes off-dry, and verging on sweet - plain bready grain, and lingering yeasty fruit.

Yeah, this is certainly not as bad as I might have been expecting going in, as it bests Bards (another sorghum-only brew), but still falls short of agreeable in many other respects. The malt is too thin, the fruitiness overly musty, and the hops either unpleasant or way too under the radar. And now I know.

2.75/5  rDev +7%