Redbridge | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.

Added by BeerBeing on 12-10-2006

Reviews: 213 | Ratings: 493
2.69/5  rDev -1.5%

This beer pours a deep copper in color with a mild white head. At first waft all I smell is a metallic note. I smell again and get a mild hit of green apple. The taste is very similar to the nose, quite mild however I do taste an apparent green apple flavor. The after taste is that of the bottle cap, metal! Body is light with a nice tingly effervescents. Not really for me but if you can't have wheat or barley, drink up!

2.61/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A - Nice dark copper color, with an off white slightly foamy head that dissipated rather quickly. Some nice lacing.

S - Very faint, a little bit of earthy grains

T - A bit on the weak side, it felt a little bit watery at times.

M - Felt good in the mouth.

O - I don't have any gluten allergies, however, for people that do, this beer is surely a blessing.

2.77/5  rDev +1.5%

This beer is a light amber color with no lacing and little head, it has a sweeter aroma with cood carbination, it has a watery taste because its gulten free it has an off flavor or less flavor then a regulair beer, overall if you had a problem with gluten this might not be bad but if you dont and you enjoy your beer you should go for a different beer

3.3/5  rDev +20.9%

Though I understand the desire to label Redbridge an amber lager, I think it's more appropriate to begin a separate category for sorghum beer. That's what we're dealing with here, and those who compare this beer to beer made with standard ingedients might be doing a disservice to this brew.

I enjoy this beer quite a lot, and I'd gladly drink it even though I have no gluten allergies. It's easygoing, but certainly more flavorful than the typical macrobrew. I'm really glad Anheuser-Busch tapped into this market. As a quencher on a warm day I'd grab one of these in a heartbeat.

2.21/5  rDev -19%

L - Gold with some red tones, nearly transparent.

S - Odd lack of aroma. A bit sweet, similar to hard cider.

T: Sweet flavor, again similar to cider but more bready/earthy due to the sorghum. Similar to an O'Douls or Sharps in that it's just bland ale.

M: If it don't taste good it ain't gonna feel good.

O: My local shop has a 'clearance rack' where the owner puts single bottles out. This one was labeled 99 cents so I decided to try it. I told him later how bad this beer was, he laughed and said "haven't had one good review yet, trying to get rid of it. Won't be ordering that one again." Thankfully I'm not limited to gluten-free beer, my sympathy to those who are.

2.72/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The bottle looks nice. I like the label, but it's a useless screw top.

It pours a clear thin amber colour with very little head that disappears pretty quick and leaves no lacing.

The aroma is almost medicinal and apple-like with some caramel sweet base to it with notes of fresh white bread. I can't get past the medicinal hint up front.

The taste is basically like a thin apple cider with some of that sorghum flavor that tastes a bit like licking an orange peel. There is a black peppery finish with some decent dryness.

Mouthfeel is thin with that familiar sorghum slimy feel on the tongue. It's overly carbonated and I think that lends to the medicine like smell and feel to this beer. It almost smells like when you open up a fresh band-aid or use that topical antiseptic Mercurochrome? Iodine maybe. Mixed with lysol. It's just not that good. After a Pliny the Elder I don't even want to drink this to tell the truth. I'm being hard on it though as I do believe that I have had one worse from New Planet.

Overall, average for a Gluten Free. If you class it with real ambers like they have it on Beer Advocate it would be pure sh!t. I'd only give it a 2 tops. But for a Gluten Free, a 3 out of 5.

A - Pours a clear red-orange with a touch of foamy head that drops to nothing almost instantly.

S - Sweet; like fruit punch with a grassy bite.

T - Bubblegum, fruit punch.

M - Macro-lager mouthfeel; maybe a little smoother than that.

D - I've never had a gluten-free beer, nor am I generally a fan of the macro's faux-micro offerings. This one, on the other hand, was surprising. It actually has a bit of flavor, and, when cold, could be fairly drinkable.

3.23/5  rDev +18.3%

A- pours a golden yellow that produces no head, seems to be VERY carbonated. bubbles never seem to end. Not going to lie... it looks quite good for what i expected.
S- is a generally hoppy smell. granted there is no wheat or barley... there is atually a slight malty smell to this. almost sweet?

T- sour... has a slight malt background. generally taste of hops. slightly bitter finish. watery... has as slight apple presence? so weird...
M- Lighter then air. lingering sweetness.
D/O - i wont lie... this is drinkable. this is not the worst beer AB has ever came out with. Surprisingly enjoyable to a degree. but watery non to say the least.

3.56/5  rDev +30.4%

Purchased at Papago Brewing in Scottsdale, I wanted to try the gluten-free offering despite a usual aversion towards Anheuser products. Pours a good shade for an Amber ale, very clear, moderate carbonation, with minimal head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is sweet and candy like, I can't be as specific as I want here, there's something particular its reminding me of. Other than that, it seems minimal, and could be bolder (I think that about lots of amber ales though).

Taste is a little odd, but doesn't seem like there's something missing. There's definitely that candy sweetness, not exactly like a Belgian candi sugar, but there's something there. A little woody taste. I think I'm getting some grassy hop flavor, but I'd like a little more from the hops.

Mouthfeel is fine, a little dry. Drinkability is good, even for an amber ale, I could drink a few of these. Sorghum or not, its one of A-B's better beers.

1.38/5  rDev -49.5%

Appearance - yellow/gold, very translucent with no head.

Smell - very sweet. Smells like white wine

Taste - what is sorghum, whatever it is it shouldnt be in beer... Too sweet, tastes like sparkling wine.

Mouthfeel - so-so

Overall - not very good, will never drink again.

3.37/5  rDev +23.4%

This is my first Gluten free beer, found it at Wal-Mart. Rather costly at over $7.00 a six-pack, but I had to try it.

There is a nice golden, slightly amber hued, color to the beer placing it in the catchall category of American Amber/Red Lager. The head is white and frothy with moderate stability, as it never disappears. However, there is not the lacing I expected from the quality of hops used. The beer is rather carbonated, even for a lager.

The nose is very nice the premium hops used really take over. The imported Hallertau and domestic Cascade hops combine to give a great rounded hop profile. First the Nobel floral Hallertau and then oily, dank piney Cascades fill the nose. There is only a very slight malt character barely detectable, but it is nice.

The taste is likewise very hoppy. But again there is a slight maltiness, which this time balances and accents nicely. The taste starts bright floral, the Hallertau’s, then the maltiness balances and cuts the flavor for a moment before the bitter Cascades dominate and linger for the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is good and matches the style and taste well. It is slightly thick but finishes a tad dry.

Drinkability is average; the hoppiness may be too much after a few. I imagine the high quality hops were used to add flavor, as the sorghum seems to impart little taste. I wonder if the sorghum is roasted at all?

I think this is a great beer, I think they have done a great job of making a beer for those with gluten allergies. I am not sure I would buy it again, but that is due to the price.

3.41/5  rDev +24.9%

Nice golden sun at dusk color. Not much lacing but alot of bubbles racing to the top. Not bad.

Faint sweet smell.

Very mellow flavor an almost oatmeal and maple syrup like taste with some malts. Not much for hops.

Smooth and with a clean crisp finish.

Not bad, but definitely different. Could be good around a campfire in autumn.

2.8/5  rDev +2.6%

A- Clear dark golden close to copper color. Moderate sized head.

S- Earthy, woody, spicey smell

T- Slightly dry and tart. Tastes like sorghum syrup.

M- Medium-light body with high carbonation.

D- Not something I'd buy or drink on a regular basis. Would only drink it if it were the last available chioce.

2.97/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Deep caramel-amber color with a white head that dissipates really quickly. No residual head, though there is some carbonation rising from the bottom. No lacing to speak of. 2.5

S - Very sweet, fruity smell with a hint of breadiness. Smells a lot like freshly sliced honey wheat bread. 3.0

T - Again, really sweet and fruity with a little bit of bitterness that dissolves into more sweetness. A playful, yet hard to nail down kind of flavor. There's a hint of vinegary, apple cider like taste somewhere in the middle. Grassy, flowery aftertaste. I'm surprised to find that I don't dislike this beer at all...in fact, I think it's not too bad. 3.0

M - Moderately carbonated but not very thick. It could use more carbonation. 3.0

O - For a beer that's made with sorghum, I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised by this beer. I had no clue as to what it would taste like or if it would be any good at all. It's...drinkable, and I think people with celiac would find it's a pretty good substitute for beer. I think it could use more carbonation, which would help carry the flavor and keep this beer more exciting as you drink it. The farther into the pint I get the more my tongue says to my brain "yeah, I get it." But that's a small criticism compared to the freedom this offers to those with celiac. 3.0

2.8/5  rDev +2.6%

had this served at the busch gardens "beer school" in williamsburg, virginia. i had never had a sorghum beer, so i thought i'd try it.

rusty appearance with minimal head that disappeared after a few seconds. not much of a smell.
mouth feel was slick. not a bad beer. slightly sweet aftertaste. perhaps from the use of sorghum. fairly light in body and taste but more flavor than say, a bud or bud light.
i was moderately surprised. with no other beers to compare it to (that i've sampled), i'd say good job. my go to beer if i could not have gluten.

2.69/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottle into Sam Adams glass.

Nice golden color. Hardly any head, what's there quickly disappears. Smells faintly of a little noble hop. The taste is grassy, carbonic, astringent. The astringency carries through to the aftertaste. The taste is bitter or acidic, in an unrefined sort of way. If I squint the right way or chug it without thought to the flavor it almost tastes like beer. Let it linger in your mouth for a moment, though, and you'll catch the full range of grass.

As it warms slightly, the biting carbonation reduces a little and it becomes more palatable.

2.27/5  rDev -16.8%

A: Crystal clear golden-copper, with a small white head that quickly dissipates. Some minor lacing.

S: Almost no aroma to speak of; some molasses/sugary notes with a little chemical-like aftertone.

T: A little bit of a cloying sweetness, some vegetal flavors, then a bitter aftertaste, with that same chemical flavor.

M: Light and smooth, with medium carbonation.

D: This is pretty unpleasant. I finished the bottle, but I wasn't happy about it. I don't know if it's a problem with barley-less beers in general or just A-B's effort, but I wouldn't try this again.

3.15/5  rDev +15.4%

12 OZ. brown bottle, poured a light amber/orangey copper color, little head that disappears fast to nithing. Aroma i guess is the Sorghum? Ive never had anything like this before so i cannot tell. It smells medicinal and lightly woody, caramel malt almost. Taste is very medicinal and some wood going on with a almost metallic blood note. Very unique and different taste, it isnt bad just different. Feel is on the lighter side with alot of carbonation hitting the tongue. Easily drinkable and sessionable, but i can see this taste being more love it or hate it. Give this a try its very interesting, ill have to take a look for more of this style of beer.

2.74/5  rDev +0.4%

This Beer is unique especially to me since it is the first gluten free beer I have ever had. I image though that even though it is made with out wheat or barley it should have more flavor than it does. I will give it some credit being an Anheuser Bush beer I can't expect a whole heck of a lot. Now to the break down. The beer has a surprisingly deep amber color with a bit of a head to it, which doesn't hold very well at all. Has very little smell to it at all. like I mentioned before it has little taste, I would describe it as watery. Mouthfeel is it's strong point, as with most Anheuser Bush beers it is refreshing like a soda. Drinkability is poor for me since I found it bland and boring I will not drink more than the one I bought.

3.68/5  rDev +34.8%

Wow... A-B really actually took time to come up with this one. Pours a cloudy brown, with red hints. Has a good thick white head and maintains a ring around the outside through every pull on the beer. Lacks any lacing though, which is disappointing. Has a sweet, malty scent. Nice fruit flavor, with slight hop bite and something else in the ending. Could be Sorghum. I am incredibly impressed. Much better than that Red Hook crap A-B tries to sell as real beer.

2.24/5  rDev -17.9%

For me, a life without beer would be a tribulation worthy of a Dante canto, but for more than 3 million Americans that is a very real prospect. According to research done by the University of Chicago, on average 1 out of every 133 people is afflicted with Celiac disease. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder which affects the small intestine after the consumption of the protein found mainly in cereal grain, such as barley, wheat, rye, and oats. Lamentably some of the very same ingredients used to make beer.

There is hope however. Recently a number of brewers have started producing a gluten-free, or gluten-minimal alternative to traditional beer. These brewers are using flour from the gluten-free sorghum plant instead of the typical cereal grains used for centuries in brewing.

In December 2006 brewing giant Anheuser-Busch released Redbridge, their entrant into the gluten-free arena. Since its release, Redbridge has enjoyed the saturating distribution of many other A-B products and is now available at most grocery stores, and other beer retailers.
Since this is my first foray into gluten-free beers, I don't have much to compare it with, but this is actually better than I thought it would be.

The beer is a nice bright amber color, with a sparking head and a sweet malty smell. the taste is, well, unusual. Redbridge has a light body and a sweet kick. The yeast adds an almost Belgian-style spice flavor, and there is a slick aromatic kick of hops right at the finish. The thing that is a little unnerving, is the vaguely sour, green-apple flavor that tips into the aftertaste. That takes some getting used to. I don't hate this, in fact, I probably like it better than Anheuser-Busch's powerhouse, Budweiser, but really that's not saying much.

A man can not live on gluten alone, but I probably won't actively seek this one out again. For those with Celiac Disease, or others with a gluten-free diet that couldn't normally partake in a beer this is a nice alternative.

3.4/5  rDev +24.5%

Came across this beer and was intrigued about the overall taste of this beer.
Pours to a pale brown color with a thin foam head.
Smell has hints of sweet bread and some fruity undertones.
Taste reveals more fruity flavors almost citrusy and balances them with the corn syrup it boasts to include.
This beer doesn't come across as extremely watered down and it delivers a well balanced flavor and little to no hoppiness.

2.45/5  rDev -10.3%

This is a very Meh beer overall. Its not terrible, but its not remarkable, either. Its very reminiscent of other wheat beers, though it contains no wheat. It's smooth drinking and refreshing, but does have a (hard to describe) off taste on the back end. Perhaps thats the sorghum? Not sure. Its not very hoppy, though you can taste the hops. I'm not picking up any fruit - some spice - pepper/coriander perhaps?

3.51/5  rDev +28.6%

Almost no head, deep gold clear sparkling body. Very little lacing. Nothing outstanding about the taste, almost like a light lager with a little more hops in the finish. Mouthfeel is light, watery, fizzy. Not bad, an alternative to the everyday American lagers, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it.

3.23/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have been struggling with a wheat allergy and consequently though I am not allergic to rye and barley per se, I definately feel better when I don't consume them. Having said all of this I tried a Redbridge red lager gluten free beer last night. I was surprised how much I liked it. I am generally not a big AB fan though I recently tried the Great American Ale and liked that as well. They have done a first rate job here. Though I would never confuse this for a craft brewed specialty beer or ale it tastes surprisingly good. The taste falls between a pale ale and a classic lager flavor, malty, mildly citrusy with caramel notes as well as a mid range hoppy finish. I would recommend anyone who finds they have gluten/wheat issues to give Redbridge a try!

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch