Redbridge | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.

Added by BeerBeing on 12-10-2006

1.5/5  rDev -45.1%

1.44/5  rDev -47.3%

My first gluten free beer. Alright!

A: The pour on this beer is light orange-amber in color with a small white head.

S: Smells...strange. A strong aroma of menthol. There are certainly some bandaids mixed in there. A bit of grass and dry malt extract. Light popcorn to it as well as a touch of mint.

S: Tastes worse, somehow. Lots of green apple which gives a slight sourness, but not in a good way. Heavy on the popcorn with more bandaids and menthol. It tastes of wet paper or cardboard. Definitely a hint of rubber, too.

M: The body is light, very light, with medium carbonation.

O: I hate you Bobby. This was awful.

2.33/5  rDev -14.7%

1.88/5  rDev -31.1%

This has been quite a G-F weekend for yours truly! I felt really crappy all day on Friday and while I wanted to indulge, the thought of AIPAs made the stomach seas choppy and bouncy. I then hit upon all of the G-F beers that I had assembled, both in support of a (now-former) work colleague who is gluten intolerant and in the hopes of submitting an article on G-F beers for publication. My new sense of this is that it takes both immersion and dedication. One cannot sense the nuances of these beers unless you commit to solely drinking them for a period of time. I only wish that I had more to try on this journey.

From the bottle: "Gluten-Free Sorghum Beer Made Without Wheat Or Barley". For me it was the striking picture of the red covered bridge that really hit home. My late Pops was a founding member of the Lancaster (PA) Bicycle Club and the instigator of the annual Covered Bridge Ride through Lancaster County. I was the executor of his estate and I chose a like scene for the front of his funeral announcement. I still envision his rear wheel crossing into eternity any time I am near a covered bridge, red or not. R.I.P., Pops.

I Pop!, er, unscrewed the cap, just to show you the relevancy A-B/INBEV gives to its G-F consumers. An aggro pour netted a finger of foamy, light-tan head with lousy retention. Bye, Felicia! Nose had a musty, caramel apple smell. I thought of ice cream for some reason. Nowhere as sharp as Green's, but where would these guys be if they didn't polish the s**t out of their beers? Nowhere! Color was Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-plus quality clarity. These guys are the masters of filtration at the expense of flavor!Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was like fermented apple cider, but with somebody having hit the "Mute" button! This was as if you were a person new to G-F and unsure where to start, then this would be your beer. For a now-seasoned veteran, this was like G-F beer on training wheels. Holy Ho Hum and Boring, Batman! I could drink this. A G-F person could drink this. On the other hand, we could drink a glass of water, which is also G-F! Finish was as bland and indistinguishable as all of their other products. For shame! Yes, this is an alternative, but to beer? I am unamused.

2.25/5  rDev -17.6%

2.78/5  rDev +1.8%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

My second gluten-free beer, following the somewhat surprising New Grist. Let's do this: It pours a clear brass topped by a half-finger of short-lived off-white foam. The nose is faint, comprising wheat, light caramel, and grass (as far as I can tell). The taste is a combination of fruity sweetness (mostly orange, but with a bit of white grape and pineapple syrup) and spicy grain (like pepper- and cardamom-laced wheat). A fakely sweet (think candy-style sugary here) twang hangs over the finish. The body is a very light medium, with a fizzy carbonation and a fairly dry finish. Overall, I can't say I enjoyed this beer, but I didn't hate it, either. The smell is almost nonexistent, the flavor combination is sorta confusing, and the body is too light and fizzy to really be enjoyable. That said, not much is actually offensive about this beer. I just know I don't want another one any time soon...

3.4/5  rDev +24.5%

Appears a light toasted malt hue of amber caramel tones, head is slightly off white forms thick after a heavy pour large bubbles fizzy pour going on. Aroma has a faint sweetness with a touch of cascade hops going on mild citrus flow going on. Flavor actually isn't too bad a touch of candy caramel sweetness some rock candi sugar like notes as well but never cloying. Really plays well without any grains actual hop flavor I'm impressed not as bad as I was expecting and more affordable than the Green's line up. If I had celiac this beer would definitely do the trick if nothing else was a possibility on it's own I would drink this over Bud any day. Mouthfeel is light to medium in body definitely has a sturdy level of carbonation but it's not over done this is a well engineered beer. Drinkability overall, let me reiterate not bad enjoyable definitely better than a Budweiser, go for it.

3.36/5  rDev +23.1%

Pours a light clear amber. Smells sweet and yeasty. Taste is sweet and mildly bitter. Mouthfeel is light and moderately carbonated.

Overall, this is not a good beer. It's better than most Anheuser-Busch products and it's much better than most gluten free beers. Having no allergies, it's not one I want to try again.

3.3/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, golden amber color. 5/4 inch head with slight retention ad decent lacing. Smells mostly of a sweet grain (I'm assuming rye). I guess it fits the style - I'd put it in its own category of a rye beer. Has a smooth and crisp mouth feel with average carbonation. Tastes mostly of a lager with a sweet rye flavor. There's also a distinct metallic/acidic aftertaste. Overall, a little weak in body and the aftertaste is slightly odd.

3.18/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has A caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of hops and yeast. Taste is of hops, some notes of citrus. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall a little different and not a bad beer at all.

3.18/5  rDev +16.5%

Had a bottle from a mixed case recently. In the world of gluten-free beers, Redbridge is certainly blander than the rest, but it's also the most drinkable. I often find there's a cloying sweetness in a lot of the celiac beers, but this simply resembles a light amber ale. I guess considering the source and style, this isn't a half bad beer.

3.25/5  rDev +19%

The beer pours an amber color with a towering offwhite head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a very dry lager yeast scent with little "malt" or hop aroma; yes I know this is made with sorghum. The taste is decent. It has a smooth "amber lager" taste that goes down easy, but it finishes way too dry for my liking. The mouthfeel is decent as well. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. I love the idea here, but the end result isn't very attractive. It's one and done for me.

1.66/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

Pours a deep golden color almost orange with a short lived head. Aroma of sweet grains, a bit of cooked veggie and slight skunk. Taste didn't fare much better. Soap, light dms and skunk character. Won't be revisiting.

Pours a light amber with a short white head that dissipates pretty quick. Smells slightly sweet like a cross between maple syrup and light molasses. Fairly faint, but not unpleasant. The taste is similarly sweet, but surprisingly restrained. There is also a slight bitterness that balances the sweetness. Comes off as quite a bit more flavorful than the common AB product. Medium to light body, not overcarbonated. Fades as it warms, definitely one to drink fairly quickly. Surprisingly okay for a sorghum beer. I am not a celiac, but I very much appreciate their difficulty and I think that AB should be commended for bringing to market such an important product that still tastes reasonably like a beer.

2.82/5  rDev +3.3%

From 12 fl. oz. bottle sampled on March 1, 2011. The pour is a golden pale yellow with nice clarity and a short-lived white fizzy head. The aromas tend to be of flour and light yeast. The taste is missing something and seems like of bland although there is a thin hop ending.

2.75/5  rDev +0.7%