Busch Ice | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Busch Ice is a smooth-tasting ice beer. It is brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn to provide a pleasant balanced flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-25-2002

Reviews: 61 | Ratings: 301

This is literally the perfect beer. It changed my life. I used to be a loser until this golden lager touched my lips. Now I am a god. Thanks Busch, you finally made up for 9/11.

Busch Ice - Anheuser-Busch. Poured from the can into a pint glass, this beer's head is two fingers thick, with spottier lacing, and a clear lighter golden body.

Smells like a lot of corn; so much that its a sweeter aroma. Also get brighter, grassier grains.

I taste a sweeter taste here for sure. Its not too sweet though&pretty smooth.

The mouthfeel here is clean and crisp

Overall, I'll give Busch Ice - Anheuser-Busch a 4. This is my favorite ice beer.

Had this after work. Best way to describe it is kicking back with one of these is Really nice after a 10 hour shift. It has a pleasant taste and its good when its cold. really all there is to say about it.

3.73/5  rDev +74.3%

Busch Ice (not available in Louisiana) has a faint, almost neutral aroma and a clear, straw color, which is standard for this genre. The flavor is nice and mild, and mouth feel is moderate. The above-average alcohol level gives the drinker a comforting feeling. I'd say that this rather rare beer is above average in its class. I wish it was more widely available. I've only seen it in St. Louis, Missouri and Memphis, Tennessee.
RJT

3.57/5  rDev +66.8%

Busch Ice brewed by Anheuser-Busch pours out a nice amber color, with an ABV of 5.9%. This brew has a small white head that goes away fast. Busch Ice looks like an american style lager. This brew dose not look like most Ice beers out on the market. Most of them are a darker amber color. The smell is the same as any american style lager beer. The smell is a strong with alcohol but not bad. The taste is smooth for being 5.9 ABV. This is one Ice brew that goes down like a regular american style beer. Busch Ice is not as sweet as Busch, it has a more bitter taste. Not too bitter to make a bad taste. The mouth feel is nice and crisp and refreshing. Overall for being an ICE Beer I giving this beer a 4 out 5. I will get this brew again.
This one of the best ICE brews.

3.45/5  rDev +61.2%

12oz can
Served in a nonic

A - It pours yellow in color and is crystal clear. It is topped with over an inch of fluffy white head.

S - It smells sweet like most macros.

T - It tastes rather bland. It is a little sweet, but there is not a whole lot of flavor.

M - Thin

O - I find it quite drinkable for a house beer. I usually drink this or Busch after a sixer of some good stuff. It helps polish off the night.

3.24/5  rDev +51.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mostly of corn, a touch of malt. Taste is malts, corn, highly refreshing and drinkable. Feels medium/light in the mouth and overall nothing special, but not bad as far as cheap lagers go.

I had not had drunk an "ice beer" in awhile and it's better than my vague memory of Keystone Ice but definately not as good as Molson Ice oh well it was cheap (99c a pint) having it really cold made it palatable but don't c myself getting it again. Not recommended under normal circumstances.

tastes better than its cousin Natural Ice and just a hair below its other ,more expensive cousin Budweiser Ice.

24 pack (12x2) of these at a Kangaroo gas station for $11.98 here in Durham NC

Taste is ok..nothing great but not offensive like Natural Ice can be from a can when it gets warm. This is a ice beer thats a good pick for a weekend session of beer,grilling and outdoor activities with the bros

5.9% alcohol and its ok taste for $11.98 a 24 pack and a saturday with nothing to do? why not!

drinking from the can...as well as a few shotguns...it works!

2.96/5  rDev +38.3%

Found this in a gas station ice trough, I have never seen Busch ice before and I drank more than my fair share of Busch products in college. Pours a light gold color with a typical rapidly failing, large-bubbled head. It is a bit darker than most macros though.

Slightly skunky, slightly fruity Busch nose...only kicked up a couple notches. A bit of cooked vegetables in there, mostly corn and a mild herbal note that might possibly resemble a couple hop cones.

Whats this? Flavor? Its true. Grainy, sweet malts and a dry, boozy alcohol taste. This beer might feel more comfortable in a 40oz clear glass bottle than this tall-boy can. I did not say it was good flavor, but flavor it has nonetheless. I do not really mind drinking this beer. Some of these ice beers are not that bad, for a AAL you could do much worse and still not catch a buzz.

2.94/5  rDev +37.4%

Poured from a 25 oz. "The Big One" can. Color was a clear golden color with lots of streaming bubbles and a thick soapy white head that was actually crackling.

Smell something sweet and not much else going on. Maybe some grains in there.

Taste is very watery and adjunct lager like.

Mouth feel is actually light and watery.

Overall there is not a whole lot going on here. This beer has no real beer flavor to grab hold of and the odor is just very plain. Overall I think I would look elsewhere if I was going for an adjunct lager.

2.92/5  rDev +36.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Ok purrdy good but not my go to beer.
Looks: Legit looks like my piss...not saying its a bad thing.
Smell: Smells like a trailer park party, with a hint of marborlo stoges.
Taste: If you was to blend a loaf of bread and water, that is the exact result. Kinda good, i like bread.
Feel: Pretty smooth, like my pickup lines with the ladies,
Overall: Not bad, definitely drinkable but if i had other beer in the fridge, it wouldn't be the beer i grab.

2.88/5  rDev +34.6%

Pours a pale, see through gold with a big foamy, fizzy, white head that quickly fades. The nose is very grainy and fruity. The flavor is grainy, slightly fruity with an apple-like off note, a bit malty, and a bit of hops in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth, a little warm, and the carbonation is just right.

For the style it isn't awful. The body is a little better than expected. The flavor isn't offensive, but it isn't great either. I'll probably pass in the future.

2.85/5  rDev +33.2%

What, another 5.9 percenter? AB's on a roll.

Frat house buzz brew. Light color, low hops, medium body and flavor derived from adjuncts rather than malt. Not bad stuff and not ashamed to say I could drink it again without being forced. Not my cut of tea though, a diminished version of Bud Ice which is a better balanced brew.

Buy it if you're in the mood for a 5.9 and the store is out of Bud Ice.

2.77/5  rDev +29.4%

A - Pale yellow color. about a half inch of head.

S - Bit of a bitter smell.

T - Not great. Strong aftertaste

M - Bubbly, not much body.

D - Well you typically don't drink ice beers for the taste, it's usually to get the job done quicker and this beer will help you do that.

2.77/5  rDev +29.4%

I CAN't believe how long it has taken to unearth this gem in support of The CANQuest (TM)! One of my more regular traders noticed it on my Wants and sent some along for my CANsumption. Now, if I could just lay hands on the still-elusive Beer:30 in a CAN, I'd be making significant progress. Or not ...

From the CAN: "Ice Brewed For Exceptional Smoothness"; "One of the World's Largest Recyclers". I CAN definitely get behind that last bit!

The Crack & Glug went off without a hitch and I was looking at two very foamy fingers of bone-white head with lousy retention. It disappeared as quickly as any of my students when the bell rings. Bye! The color was a pale sunshine-yellow and I might have mistaken it for a light version of a beer, had I not been able to read that it was an Ice version. The nose was just more of the same ol' same old. Same beer, different day. I CANnot understand how I used to enjoy such things in my youth. It smelled like silage, plain and simple. More corn than a hog could eat from its trough over an entire summer. Blah! And yet, it is stylistically correct. Oof. It is sometimes enough to make me regret this undertaking. Mouthfeel was medium with a slight lager sweetness underlain by corn and cotton candy. How do they make this swill?!? It should not taste like this and yet so many do! Finish was indeed smooth, given that I did not have to choke it down, but neither was it terribly pleasurable. It was what I imagine drinking Liquid Oxygen (LOX) would be like. Cold, semi-dry, liquid, but not much beyond that. I would not bother seeking this out, nor taking up valuable cooler space.

2.72/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I have a hard time with the large number of "1" ratings for this beer. I'm not going to do a A-S-T-M-O type review since this stuff will mostly be drank out of the can anyway.

This is a perfectly acceptable "Ice" style beer. I poured a little in a glass and as expected it was pale yellow with fleeting head. The smell and taste are actually quite neutral. The mouthfeel is pleasant due to a moderate level of carbonation. Even several minutes after finishing a 24 ounce can I still have a pleasant after taste.

There is a multitude of malt beverages that make this stuff look like a world class beer which makes me wonder how anyone can rate it a "1".

This is a drinkable, 5.9 class ice beer. No - it's not world class but it's hardly bottom of the barrel either.

2.72/5  rDev +27.1%

I get some sweetish banana Runts candy on the nose along with the tiniest bit of malt underneath. Somewhat sweet on the palate with the same light malt and banana flavors up front. The flavor doesn't last long though, despite the somewhat sweet intensity of the initial impression. The carbonation scrubs the malt and banana flavor to a bland sourness at the midway and then turns to this very watery flavor followed by a very dry, almost “furry” impression on the tongue and cheek during the not so short finish. The weird over-carbonated and dry feeling on the finish lasts longer than the actual taste of flavors.

2.64/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Tallboy can picked up at The Beer Store; listed at 5.5% and brewed by Labatt for the Canadian market. I've never noticed this stuff on shelves before, but I'm not sure if that's because it's new around here, or if they recently changed the packaging, or if it's just that I don't make it a habit of staring at the unfortunate shelves carrying the abominable burdens that are the macro ice beers. Served ice cold, as God intended.

Pours a pale golden-yellow colour (a familiar hue, indeed), topped with slightly more than one finger's worth of frothy, soapy white head. It manages to maintain cohesion for at least a few minutes, until it finally gives up the ghost and melts away into a thin, dense cap and a modest collar. There's even a few smidges of lacing on the glass - this actually looks pretty good for what it is. Too bad that it smells exactly like it's supposed to; an unpleasant mixture of corn syrup, boiled vegetable water and apple skin. Not the worst-smelling ice beer I've ever sniffed, but it's still not very appealing.

To be fair, it's not the worst-flavoured ice beer I've ever had, either - though there's still plenty of those odd off-flavours that generally keep me away from these higher gravity lagers. I get a very strong green apple vibe that sort of permeates the entire flavour profile... probably for the best, since it ensures that the notes of cardboard, ethanol and corn syrup beneath it are considerably less distracting than in most brews of this ilk. The finish is a little sweet, with a hint of lingering apple tartness. Fairly light-bodied, with appropriate carbonation for the style - fairly strong with a solid bite, but not fizzy/bloat-inducing. Easy to drink when it's cold, but you should probably do it quickly.

Final Grade: 2.64, a C-. I'm a little torn - Busch Ice isn't a very good beer, obviously, but I'd still take it in a heartbeat over much of the competition (which in these parts amounts to garbage like Carling Ice, Keystone Ice, Old Milwaukee Ice, etc.). There are off-flavours, and the overall taste isn't terribly appealing, but if you just want something cheap to get shitfaced on, this is a serviceable option that I can see being popular with the frat house set. Overall, this isn't nearly as awful as it's made out to be and I'd drink this if it were handed to me at a party or something, but it's not worth buying again.

2.62/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

This stuff is beyond cheap. Some sort of deflation must be setting in. I find this beer in only one place, but it goes $8 for an 18 pack! My new favorite, even cheaper than Milwaukee's Best!
And it's not a bad drink when you're hot and tired. That ice beer flavor starts in on you from the outset. The cold fizzy yellow life-giving elixir soothes and refreshes from your beer entrance on down. Unfortunately, I occasionally notice a note of sake in the finish, probably due to the large amount of rice used in the brew. Sake is one thing I can do without, but luckily, it's a fleeting sensation.

2.6/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours a macro yellow with a white head, nothing much to offer but a 5.9 abv. Nothing I would write home about. But nothing that is totally objectionable. It is cheap,and available everywhere. I would drink this beer on a hot summer day when I am short on cash.

2.53/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Clear, pale golden color, with a large white head, thick, sticky lace, and numerous streams of small, fast-rising carbonation. The head retention is fairly good, the head eventually collapses to a small layer, but does not entirely disappear.

Aroma: Prominent, sweet alcohol and cooked grain dominate the aroma, with faint herbal hop notes as well.

Taste: Opens with mild malt and sweet alcohol, late in the taste there are some bitter, metallic notes, the finish is crisp and dry.

Mouth feel: Smooth and soft on the palate, a bit thin.

Drinkability/notes: Not that bad, really, cheap, and would be refreshing on a hot summer day. Not a great beer, certainly, but you already knew that. At about a dollar for a twenty-four ounce can, it is hard to complain.

Presentation: Packaged in a twenty-four ounce aluminum can, served in a standard pint tap glass.

2.5/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a very clear straw color with no much carbonation. Head starts out thick, but recedes to a very thin lace. Smells like your every day macro lager. Goes down smooth with no bitterness and very little carbonation. Taste is below par for an ice beer, doesn't taste much different than regular Busch. Overall this might be an ok session beer, but if your looking for a good ice beer, try Milwaukee's Best Ice instead.

2.43/5  rDev +13.6%

It has a sweet and fruity and highly adjunct aroma. The body is a golden almost brass color that is very clear. There is a lot of head but that goes away fast to make some thin lacing. It has basic flavor that is also very sweet and adjunct. It is not bitter at all. This beer reminds me a lot of watered down malt liquor. It is very plain. I will say that the mouthfeel is pretty smooth.

2.42/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pale yellow, immediately disappearing head, fizzy.

Smell like corn and metal.

It tastes better than I expected. It's got a big adjunct flavor and a touch of hop bitterness.

It's watery and bubbly.

I like this better than another BMC's ice beer I think. You're #1 Busch Ice!

Busch Ice from Anheuser-Busch