Michelob Ultra

Gots
SCORE
Awful
Michelob UltraMichelob Ultra
Notes: Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.
View: Beers
Reviews: 689 | Ratings: 2,610 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
frankdatank1337 from California

3.08/5  rDev +66.5%

It's nothing special but damn is it refreshing. It's like champaign. Light flavor and tons of carbonation. It's got a light barley flavor. I was skeptical but I finally tried it and I now get the hype. If I'm at all event that only serves domestics, this will be my go to beer.

Mar 30, 2021
DrBeergood from Ohio

3.25/5  rDev +75.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Popular brew. I sell quite a bit of it.

L: Pale straw yellow. Filtered clear. Moderate carbonation. Glossy surface.

S: Not much, but I am detecting a fermentation aid.

T: Easy barley. A touch of hops. It's mostly water, but tastes better, and is safer to drink.

F: Lightweight. You might catch a buzz if you drink 6 of them.

O: The can says "Superior Light Beer," and at 95 Calories, 2.6g Carbs and 4.2% ABV, it is. I'm pretty sure this beer is the closest thing to water you can get.

Mar 12, 2021
TedHead from Illinois

2.57/5  rDev +38.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Pours a very pale clear yellow with a white head that dissipates in a minute. It really smells like nothing, maybe a hint of some adjunct grains. The taste is minimal, but it does have little adjunct grain taste in the small amount of malt presence it has. The main thing I like about this one is the slammability. I could drink this all day it's so easy to drink. Overall a little better than bud light but that's about it.

Mar 02, 2021
bubseymour from Maryland

3.95/5  rDev +113.5%

Watery, completely non-offensive, refreshing and easy to drink. I'm good with this beer for when I don't want flavor and just want something not to think about at all. Time and place.

Jan 01, 2021
Tacoma223 from New York

4.58/5  rDev +147.6%

I am not sure why people absolutely knock this so badly, this beer has a beautiful color, sweet/hoppy smell. Extremely refreshing and light. Solid beer. It should be cheaper though . here in NY a 12pk is 22$ . Other than the price it’s a solid beer.

Nov 30, 2020
chitoryu12 from Florida

2.82/5  rDev +52.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Look: Clear gold with a slight orange tint. Virtually no head.

Smell: Very sweet adjunct malt and crackery malt.

Taste: Clean and dull, slightly metallic adjunct malt. Hops are a distant memory.

Mouthfeel: Thin and highly carbonated.

Overall: Yet another adjunct lager that tries to pretend it’s anything but.

Sep 06, 2020
Jugs_McGhee from Louisiana

3.24/5  rDev +75.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Review from notes:

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with a screw-top:

4.2% ABV. 95 kCal per bottle. 2.6 carbs per bottle. 0.6g protein per bottle.

I honestly get a bit of a caramel malt influence...which is far more than I expected going into this. It helps chop up the otherwise tedious 6-row malt backbone and gives the beer more perceived body and weight on the palate. Hm...this is far more drinkable than I expected without being watery thin. Frankly, for a light lager I think it's rather good - which is to say it's above average in general. At this ABV even if I was calorie conscious I'd still spring for Guinness Draught, but I'm finding this a surprisingly likable light lager with better depth of malt flavour than most budget lagers (including those that aren't light).

I taste no adjunct. Has no overt hop or yeast flavour, which is true to style. There are no off-flavours.

I feel like I could inhale a sixer of this and I'd enjoy myself doing it. The kind of airy light beer I could swill down with spicy wings and be a happy man...I think many are blasting it just because it's an AB-InBev product. Taken on its own merits, I think it accomplishes what it's trying to with aplomb.

High C+ (3.24) / ABOVE AVERAGE

***
02/07/21 bottle at a superbowl party:

Has a firm malt backbone with a note of caramel.

C+ / ABOVE AVERAGE

Sep 04, 2020
BigGold from Mississippi

2.89/5  rDev +56.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Finally had Michelob Ultra in August 2020 poured from slender 12-oz. can, left in my fridge by a friend, into pilsner glass.

Ultra actually pours with a decent but fizzy near-white head, which even sticks around a bit. No lace, of course, and color is standard straw. Off the pour, you get some nice spice and a bit of light citrus in the aroma, but it is fleeting, leaving nothing at all behind. On drinking, it starts ridiculously dry, a little sweet malt briefly interrupts the dryness, which itself gives way to a seltzer finish. There's simply no beer there.

Aug 23, 2020
defunksta from North Dakota

3.45/5  rDev +86.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Pours a bright, clear, pale, lemony champagne color that is sparkling with a medium, crisp white head. SRM of 5. (4.00)

Aroma: Earthy cereal grains and cracker with deep earthy tones from the oxidation here in the bottle. (3.25)

Flavor: Flavor follows with pale cereal grains, crisp cracker and an underlying deep earthy yeast/cracker flavor from the oxidation in the bottle. Finishes dry. (3.50)

Feel: Light to medium bodied for the style. Crisp and pretty clean. (3.75)

Compared to Bud Light 8/13/20: Pours a slightly lighter color. More earthy oxidation from this bottle. More skunk. Also more crisp and dry. Less milky. Winner: Bud Light due to the oxidation here.

Overall: This bottle I have on this one is oxidized so it's hard to rate this one. Clean and crisp, but the flavor is washed out by the oxidation and probably old bottle. Might have to try it again sometime. (Final Rating: 3.45)

Aug 14, 2020
Dingbat88 from Louisiana

2.34/5  rDev +26.5%

So yeah... There is nothing special about this beer and most of the people I know that drink it do so because it is cheap or they are watching their calories. If you like simple beers then this is for you.

Jul 17, 2020
IPAs_for_days_13 from Texas

1.87/5  rDev +1.1%

This beer looks pale almost clear with a slight piss yellow hue to it, if you look really closely. Smells like the inside of an aluminum can with a hay barn funk to it. Taste practically like carbonated water with the slightest taste of malt; a kind notion that it is actually a beer at all. Goes down about like water, very thin, but damn is it smooth. This is a light beer, & one of the best in it's class, so we can't forget about that fact. If you are looking for a lower calorie beer or just something you can crush on a hot day, you can't really go wrong with one of these.

Jul 01, 2020
JoKo from Connecticut

3.5/5  rDev +89.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

This will be the fourth light beer that I’m reviewing this week, being summer and all when you just want something crushable. Poured from can, Crystal clear, highly carbonated straw yellow with inch thick white head that dissipated very quickly. The nose is all grains up front, nothing else going on. The taste is actually a bit different from what I expected, almost has a cider mouthfeel and flavor, apple notes some graininess as well. As expected, highly crushable and a perfect “lawnmower” beer.

Jun 11, 2020
YeahWhateverImOverIt

2.48/5  rDev +34.1%

Judging against all beer, it's depressing alcoholic grain seltzer, but for a cheap light beer? Ultra crisp, satisfying in its mildness, "cuts the dust" perfectly, and goes well with food. It has its uses and does it well.

May 05, 2020
BJB13 from Maryland

3.62/5  rDev +95.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

American Light Lager is not a style that I am a fan of. Because of that I reviewed this one with the BJCP guidelines in front of me to ensure I would rate this to the style and not my particular taste.

Most of the negative comments about this beer are actual traits of the style.
Very pale yellow in color, check.
Low grainy corn like aroma, check.
Neutral low grainy palate, check.
Highly carbonated, light watery body with some tongue bite, check.
Crisp, dry, drinkable and refreshing, check.
The Guidelines actually read “Strong flavors are a fault.”
As far as the head is concerned, the thick, somewhat rocky yet short lived inch of foam that fast fades to a ring with minute amounts of lacing seems a strong showing for the style.

Clean, dry, easy drinking and refreshing session style beer.

Apr 04, 2020
brewme from Massachusetts

1.25/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Have had many times, usually against my will (think walking into a party, host asks: "You want a beer?" You: "Hell, yeah!" Incoming Multra = look of horror.

Feb 29, 2020
CDBeerDisappear from Ohio

There is no aroma. Tastes like seltzer water. Makes Bud light a flavor bomb by contrast. I don't know what anyone sees in this watery, thin, tasteless concoction. I have tasted well over a thousand beers and this is the worst one in my memory. It might be ok if it was a seltzer water. but dammit, it's a beer! This embarrasses me as a beer drinker.

This is what they say about their beer:

HAH! I would rather drink piss!

We were at a football game and my son bought this for me. He will never do that again (because he also bought one for himself) ... HAH!~, so he spent over $20 for us both to make this discovery that this is the worst beer in the entire beer spectrum!

Ok, it has 8 calories so if that is what you are after, go for it. Founder's All Day IPA ( the lowest alcohol/calorie beer I have consumed that I would ever consider buying again) is a 148 calorie beer. That's as low as I will go while still enjoying my beer, so for me, this is worse than shit, but if your beer drinking goals are more waist oriented then use this delightful concoction to get drunk!

Feb 27, 2020
UristMcBrewer from Pennsylvania

1.78/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

The beer is a sickly pale yellow with a fast dissapering foamy head. I really don't like the color. It smells odd, like damp bread with adjuncts. It taste sweet and stale. Maybe some hops in the background. The feel is loose and watery. Alright carbonation. Overall, not a beer people drink to drink beer. A beer people drink because they want to drink something

Feb 22, 2020
jwp777 from Oklahoma

2.3/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

Personally I think this is better than its rating. For a commercial light lager, it is really easy to drink (or chug) and has a decent flavor.

Look - transparent, yellow-ish with little to no head and no lacing.

Aroma - tiny hint of hops. Not powerful at all.

Taste - slightly bitter hops, but it is pretty watery. Kind of like alcoholic Pelegrino sparkling water. Still, quite refreshing on a hot day.

Feel - crisp and refreshing. By far the best attribute of this beer for me. It is light and the aftertaste doesn’t linger, which makes it feel better to me.

Overall, not a beer for anyone who appreciates beer as an art form or for adventurous drinking. However, for cheap, simple, decent tasting, and easy on the stomach, it does the job.

Dec 07, 2019
navy67 from Michigan

3.21/5  rDev +73.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

It poured out of a can with a nice foamy head. Has a crisp clean taste with not too much carbonation. It is surprisingly very refreshing if you are looking for a light beer or if you are just trying to take a break from the endless supply of IPAs . I tried out a few others because i need to cut back on my sugar intake and there is basically nothing else out there, especially from the craft breweries, that matches up with it. With 95 calories, 4.2 ABV, and 2.6 carbs, you will not find anything like it, unless you drop the ABV, and in that case, why bother. Cheers!

Nov 26, 2019
EJPA_0425 from California

2.04/5  rDev +10.3%

Honestly, this one is not as bad as everyone says. It's very refreshing and easy to drink. Much better in my opinion than Bud light, Coors light, and Miller lite. Looks is the only are where this one trails, it's very watery and clear in appearance. Smells slightly sweet, Tastes watery but not gross in any way. Very refreshing to drink and thirst quenching and that's something you can't say for all beer. I highly recommend this one, usually I don't like these beers, but this one honestly excels in this category.

Nov 21, 2019
Mrbob558 from New York

3.25/5  rDev +75.7%

It's a decent beer when their are no craft beer alternatives. I am on an Amtrak train and purchased the beer from the bar car. Their is not a strong taste and it's on the watery side. I rarely drink light beer, which this is, but I think it's a little better than most light beers.

Nov 10, 2019
0ccamsrazor

3.14/5  rDev +69.7%

If you're a 'beer guy' and care about flavor, appearance, etcetera, this is not the beer for you.

If you're looking for a beer with decent bang for your buck in terms of alcohol content per calorie (4.2% ABV and only 95cal/12oz, very solid, and low carb if you care about that) OR you're just looking for something refreshing on a hot day, you can't really go wrong with this stuff. I bought it very apprehensively because I need to watch my calories but was pleasantly surprised.
Yes, it is VERY watery.
However, the flavor it does have isn't unpleasant at all. There's no off-putting smell or aftertaste like many mediocre beers have.
If you buy it at the right places, it's also dirt cheap. Definitely don't buy this in a bar or whatever because it wouldn't be worth it. A 24 pack at my local cheapo store was $18. Anything more than that would be a rip-off in my opinion.

Basically, if you just want a refreshing beverage, this stuff isn't bad at all. It's basically carbonated water with a mild beer flavor and it isn't gross or fruity or sweet. It's also great if you want to get drunk off of beer but don't want to ingest an obscene amount of calories.

Sep 23, 2019
rsteeves97 from Washington

2.8/5  rDev +51.4%

Fairly watery, but not too bad overall. I don't think its that much better than the majority of American lagers, but it commands a craft beer price at times which is ridiculous.

Aug 13, 2019
amadori16 from Canada (ON)

2.73/5  rDev +47.6%

It's quite watery, with a faintly sweet barley aftertaste. I wouldn't rave about it, but it doesn't taste bad either. Better than sparkling water at least, and can be refreshing.

Aug 04, 2019
wmscottsimpsonjr from Missouri

2.85/5  rDev +54.1%

Pale pale straw. Smell is very light honey malt with the smallest hint of noble hops. Flavor is even lighter, with just a touch of malt. While it's basically sparkling water (and it's very sparkling), I like it better than some ultralight lagers.

Aug 03, 2019