Michelob Ultra

Gots
SCORE
Awful
Michelob UltraMichelob Ultra
Notes: Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.
View: Beers
Reviews: 679 | Ratings: 2,581 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Fizzer:
Fizzer from Michigan

I drink this while working out, climbing mountains, running marathons, scuba diving in the south pacific, racing my yacht, winning the tour de france, putting decals on my WRX, fly fishing in Mongolia, paragliding from the top of Mt Everest, trading stocks on the NYSE, telling you I graduated from the University of Michigan, and numerous other elite activities.

Mar 28, 2017
UriaHeep from Indiana

Wow, this place is loaded with snobs. Beer enthusiasts are getting bad raps because of haters that crap on everything that isn't 100 ibus. Beer is beer, folks are getting snobbier than the wineos at my restaurant. It's a cheap, clean beer meant to be drank out of a can, on the golf course, around a fire, or just when you dont feel like sinking 12-16 bucks on a six pack. It is what it is beer snobs.

Nov 25, 2014
Curtw from Arkansas

4.68/5  rDev +154.3%

I am a fan of domestic light beer, and this is my goto. The bros insist waitresses card me when I order, claiming you can't order Ultra unless you are under 21. But I can't help myself, this is what I like. I can drink these all night with no damage. If you like flavor or a buzz, stay away - this aint THAT brew. This is for guys like me who harvest flavor from the enchiladas, and seek refreshment from my brew.

Mar 04, 2015
chOAKbarrell from Maryland

1.2/5  rDev -34.8%

Fascinating. The fact that Michelob Ultra is allowed by law to be labelled and marketed as "beer" has to be the one of the most massive examples of wool being pulled over consumers' eyes.

Its not that 1.0 is too high of a score to rate this beer. The thing is that these areas to be graded: appearance, smell, taste, mouthfeel - they simply don't APPLY. There is just nothing there. Mic Ultra doesnt even attempt to imitate what the general public's perception of a "beer" is (BudMillerCoors).

It looks like a glass of city water with the smallest eye-dropper amount of pale beer added. It smells that way too, which is to say there isnt really any scent. There is the most minimal amount of carbonation that disappears without a trace after one second in your mouth.

And the taste. My god, the taste. Once again, how is this allowed to be called beer? Only in America... It's kinda like someone went into a grassy field and siphoned a tiny puddle after a storm. And then went home & diluted the puddle water even more. Like there's sort of a flavor there, but you are not quite sure, because it was gone so quickly.

So why did I give the drinkability such a (relatively) high score? Well, quite simply, you could POUND these things. I mean chug them like they were gatorade and you had just run 5 miles. You would never notice. There's not a chance in hell of MicUltra ever filling you up.

Speaking of running - this is the "beer" you pour in your water bottle before you take off on a half-marathon. Or at least that's what the advertising would have you believe. Sooner than later the carb-craze will die, and MicUltra will be one of the casualties. No sad farewell. Just chuckles years down the line when asked "hey, remember when there was low-carb beer?"

Sep 20, 2005
RoyalT from Ohio

2.91/5  rDev +58.2%

Appearance – This one is, of course, extremely light yellow in color. The head rose up nicely.

Smell – Well, it still smells like cheap American grain, so I don’t know what they took out to make it, “Ultra.”

Taste – In looking at my notes on the regular Michelob, the cheap sweetness seems to have been extracted for the sake of carb reduction. This is actually an improvement. Also, the grain doesn’t seem to taste so bad. Who ‘da thunk?

Mouthfeel – The good carbonation and absence of cheap sugars make this one a not-so-bad alternative to a real beer.

Drinkability – I can’t believe I’m writing this, but this beer isn’t half bad.

Jan 12, 2004
SexyBadMotherFunker from Pennsylvania

I funkin like it. Don’t get scared from the word “ultra”. It’s basically just light beer. Tastes refreshing. Not all beers have to be douchey micro brews. Don’t get me wrong, there’s some better beers out there, but this beer has its place. When I read reviews, it’s funny that everyone thinks their an expert. It’s beer bro! It’s either drinkable, or dump that shit down the sink. If I was drinking for the soul purpose to get funked up, it wouldn’t be with beer.

Nov 25, 2017
MikeViall from California

3.8/5  rDev +106.5%

You know Meyers Briggs? That personality test. So it seems I'm basically an INTJ which means I have somewhat limited tact and I tell things like they are.

Drinking beer is like drinking bread. Face it. Once you realize after years of drinking that great Sierra Nevada Torpedo stuff that it contains, what, 235 calories and 21 carbs per bottle? And that now you are fat? Like I was? You will look for options.

Trust me, there will be a time when this fresh, clean deal or something similar will be your go-to. Until you convert I suggest you keep working out like a m#f&$$er. As good as as the Torpedo? No. For the trade-off -- definitely.

Sep 23, 2015
57md from Pennsylvania

1.25/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Anyone so concerned about their weight that they might stoop to drinking this should just give up and drink a shot of vodka mixed in seltzer or diet tonic water.

May 17, 2015
mark5692 from New York

4.5/5  rDev +144.6%

I am not sure why people dislike it so much. For 20 bottles it was 12$. Great buy. It is a great beer to relax and drink with. It does the trick but it has decent quality and taste when you compare it to other light beers in the same price range. It has a sweet taste that doesn't linger.

Nov 22, 2014
CaptainFleeker from Illinois

Not as bad as some of these reviews would indicate. I'm not a ABI or MillerCoors fan at all but when I'm at someone's house for a barbecue and its hot and humid as hell this isn't a bad choice. Time and place I suppose.

Mar 05, 2015
IvanJ126 from Texas

this embarrassing to say I even drank one at one time

Aug 20, 2014
LIL-BOOSIE from Vermont

4.76/5  rDev +158.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

After lengthy test of human endurance, man prefers to be rewarded with this magnificent brew. Cans are the prefered container due to their low weight for packing on a cycling, sailing, or skiing adventure. The slender size makes the cans perfect for packing into ones jeans. Optimally cans can be inserted through the front zipper stashed in the jeans above the ski boots. The cans are often purchased by the "30" as they are assorted into a beautiful suitcase. In ones hands delicate fingers wrap effortlessly to ensure a tight grip. The feeling of holding a slender tall yet athletic can can only be compared to the exhilarating feel of yachting on the mediterranean after a grueling cycle through the dolomites. The taste is world renowned. Some have compared the taste to that of a very young yet well fed flamingo, oh how delicious they are. After consumption the body feels a great pleasure which has no equal. The smell brings ill prepared man to his knees for it is unrivaled. As the beer slides down a man's throat he oft not forget how powerful each day he breathes earths air can be.

Feb 01, 2014
Jason from Massachusetts

1.34/5  rDev -27.2%

Presentation: 12 oz brown twist off bottle with a “Born On Date” on the neck. States “Calories – 95, Carbohydrates- 2.6” and “Low Carbohydrate Light Beer” on the label.

Appearance: Very pale yellow, perhaps the lightest colour brew I have ever seen. Skimpy white lace does not amount to much, pours out spritzy and almost soda like.

Smell: Odd adjunct aroma, smells of faint cooked corn and mild husk. Other than that it is very clean.

Taste: Watery and thin, very little flavour at all. The crispness is on the right track though with the beer being so light is gives a seltzer like quality. Trace malt is hard to find but it is there, clean husk and cooked adjunct are extremely light also. Vague hop twang with a laughable bitterness, so minute that it brings nothing to the palate. Finishes clean and bone dry without a trace.

Notes: Can beer get any lighter than this? Is this the base product for the production of malternative. This is light beer, so light there is nothing there. People who seek this beer out are people with boring beer palates. There are better light beers out there, even then what is the point? I compare this beer with baked fat free light nacho chips … its like eating air, what’s the point? Don’t even bother with this one as it is the most lackluster, boring, gimmicky brew of its time.

Oct 03, 2002
JamesD71 from Florida

4.17/5  rDev +126.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I'm diabetic with high triglycerides...not supposed to drink beer or whiskey, on both counts. From more healthy days, WAY back, my top three beers were Warsteiner, Becks, and Michelob Light. I'm not supposed to drink ANY beer, but I sneak one every month or so. So far, the only beer that doesn't impact my physical conditions (on a ONE beer serving only basis) is Michelob Ultra. Admittedly, it doesn't have the qualities of a Warsteiner or a Becks (which would now yield me "Alley Oop" ankles, on one serving) but it does compare favorably (for me) to Michelob Light, my favorite American beer. Ultra is not one of my top three beers, but if I want to avoid painful swelling in my ankles & lower legs while enjoying a single beer a month...it is my ONLY beer and I am truly grateful for it. It is enjoyable, and that's what it's now all about, for me!

May 04, 2014
BeerSamurai34 from Texas

1.75/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

This is basically just watered down beer. It drinks a lot like Bud Light but with a lot more water. I guess it's a good beer for someone on a diet, but I don't get the point. If you want something watered down, just drink water.

Oct 10, 2015
DaPeculierDane from Wisconsin

When I used to wait tables at an Italian joint we carried this stuff. I sold tons of it one summer during the height of the low-carb craze.

A lot of people loved it, although, that's too general. A lot women, no...still too general, a lot of really, really trashy 38-45 year-old women with stretch lines, bad dye jobs, and huge bangs loved this beer. They would drink like 5 or 6 of them with meals, which they would order like this:

“Hi, I'd like this rigatoni only can you add cheese and extra sausage and hold the pasta?”

Freaks! Who goes to an Italian restaurant and says "hold the pasta." People who like this liquid made my job difficult and that's reason enough to trash it.

The other reason is that it is not beer in any way, shape, or form.

Some folks might say that its drinkable but since it’s basically water and can’t give you a buzz no matter how much you drink, I’m giving it a one. I’d rather drink water and so this is obviously the most undrinkable beer ever.

Bring on the Natty Ice, I’ll take that hangover over this swill anytime.

Sep 26, 2005
Nickawala

3.93/5  rDev +113.6%

I don't know why this beer gets knocked all the time, if you want a low carb/light beer with a decent taste and a higher than 3% volume this is it.

Mar 15, 2015
leantom from Indiana

2.8/5  rDev +52.2%

Not good, but there are worse American adjunct lagers. Here goes:

A: Gold, well-carbonated. Actually leaves OK lacing.

S: Mostly corn, but not as bad as that of other AAL's. Can actually get some lightly-kilned barley and mild hops.

T: Follows the nose. Some hops and barley on a mostly corn background.

F: Smooth and crisp. OK.

O: OK for what it is. Comparable to Budweiser. Better than Miller and Heineken.

Jun 28, 2015
superspak from Michigan

3.16/5  rDev +71.7%

25 ounce can into lager glass, best before 5/24/2015. Pours crystal clear pale golden/straw color with a 1 finger dense and rocky white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of cracker, white bread, light biscuit/dough/corn, and mild herbal/grassy earthiness. A bit fruity, but not overwhelming. Okay aromas with pale malt/grain and light earthy hop notes; with decent strength. Taste of cracker, white bread, light biscuit/dough/corn, and mild herbal/grassy earthiness. Very minimal herbal, grassy bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of cracker, white bread, light biscuit/dough/corn, and mild herbal/grassy earthiness flavor a short bit. Solid robustness of pale malt/grain and light earthy hop flavors; with a good malt/bitterness balance, and zero cloying/astringent flavors after the finish. Moderately crisp/clean finishing. Perfectly clean on lager flavors, with zero yeast notes present. Lightly increasing dryness from lingering bitterness. Medium carbonation and light body; with a very smooth, fairly bready/grainy, and slightly sticky mouthfeel that is okay. Thin/watery, but not too bland of a finish. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 4.2%. Overall this is an okay light lager. All around solid robustness of pale malt/grain and light earthy hop flavors; very smooth, crisp, clean, and refreshing too drink. Nicely clean barley/grain flavors and mild earthy hop balance. For an ultralight beer this does a good job, without tasting like pure water. A fairly enjoyable offering, and well made style example.

Apr 21, 2018
Wattstriker from Georgia

2.64/5  rDev +43.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This isn't a top notch beer, but it has a taste that I personally find to be quite decent. I'll take it over Bud Light, Coors Light, and Miller Light any day of the week. It's also my father's go-to beer so it'll be in stock whenever I visit, but I've introduced him to some better stuff here and there to let him know that there is indeed more out there. I'll never diss anyone over this stuff though.

Jun 14, 2015
newcastleme from Ohio

This is nothing but carbonated water with a little alcohol mixed in. I really don't even consider this beer a 'social' beer. It's a disappointment. Michelob does have several other selections that are respectable. I consider this one to have one of the worst taste's of any beer I've tried.

Jul 20, 2010
eggmaggi from Oregon

3.25/5  rDev +76.6%

It's a light lager and for it is, it isn't half bad.

Apr 10, 2015
Srqdavid from Florida

3.4/5  rDev +84.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I was very drunk while drinking this and I have to say much better than budlight and any of it's light beer counterparts. I drank this out of a can at a cold temperature and It's pretty good if you wanna chug on something while dancing and partying. Vaping an ecig and drinking this beer is beautiful and an awesome feeling. Give this a beer a try and you may or may not hate it depending on how much of a beer snob you are.

Sep 28, 2015
drmystery from North Carolina

my dad bought this beer because "[i] need to watch my weight" and he bought a 6 pack and gave 5 to me.

i had it out of a bottle and didnt bother pouring it..i have no idea what it looks like but im guessing clear, because this abortion of a beer tastes like water, feels like water and smells like water. its a crap beer. i was at an airport bar and noticed the person next to me was drinking michelob ultra, which is fine, they like what they like and i cant do anything about it...but when they have sam adams and guinness on tap, why the hell would you drink michelob ultra? then i realized that this "beer", along with just about every other AB product is made for people who dont drink beer.

if youre at a party and they have michelob ultra, do yourself a favor and drink water.

this beer is the absolute worse beer i have ever had. stay the hell away from this atrocity.

Apr 11, 2013
gopens44 from Virginia

1.06/5  rDev -42.4%

Oh my. This is the drink that my friends have while golfing. I really don't see why you wouldn't drink water 1 : 1 with an actual beer instead of drinking this. If you need to count calories that bad, just skip about 250 calories worth of food in a day and enjoy a decent beer......

Apr 10, 2015