Michelob Ultra | Anheuser-Busch

Michelob UltraMichelob Ultra

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Light Lager

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Reviews: 592 | Ratings: 2,217
1.3/5  rDev -29.3%

Served on tap at a dive bar in the Pittsburgh area. Vessel used was a plastic cup. Seemed appropo.

Appearance: Very pale straw yellow. Clear with a short lived white head.

Smell: Not much going on here. I got some faint grassy aromas, occasionally some skunkiness, and some other off aromas that just may have been the background smells of the bar.

Taste: A "beery" taste that lasts a millisecond, giving way to seltzer water. Blech.

Mouthfeel: Perrier has more substance.

Drinkability: Ick. I can't believe I drank this, but my family had ordered it, and I thought I should see just how bad it was.

1.3/5  rDev -29.3%

Pour- What in the hell is going on! NO HEAD at all! Little carbonation bubbles, like I poured yellow 7up.

Smell- Has a feint smell of Bud Light. Nothing to the nose really at all.

Taste- Rice,corn uh-nothing else

Mouthfeel- A joke, I think I just drank water.

Drinkability- Low carb? Come on! Is this what we've reduced ourselves to. Macro-Beer was already reduced down in flavor and calories a hundred times before this drink came around. America Macros supposedly made good beer before WW2 and then they marketed after the women, so what does that tell you?(No offense to any women on this site that like good beer)

1.3/5  rDev -29.3%

Pours a see through yellow white color. The smell is of nothing, there is a hint of some type of grain. The taste is of nothing, but a barely there grain. The taste is watery, but at least not offensive. The mouthfeel is overly carbonated. Overall there is not much to this beer, it is pretty simple and weak all over, yet there is nothing offensive about it. It is really nothing to speak of.

1.3/5  rDev -29.3%

It has a very pale yellow color with a small, fizzy head. The smell is hard to desrcibe because it doesn't really smell like anything. The taste slightly resembles a lager, but for the most part it tastes like water. Mouthfeel was also rather water-like. I gave it a 2 on drinkability because you could easily drink alot because it is so light.

1.3/5  rDev -29.3%

Obviously AB had created a watered down lo cal/carb beer for people who want to drink a beer but don't like beer (if you know what I mean...). Had this at a friend's wedding last week. :(

A = Light pale straw in color with a short-lived minor head and no lace.

S = Very minimal grain presence.

T = This reminds me of some stale "big city" tap water with a minimal level of beer flavor added as an after thought.

M = Thin and watery...

D = Couldn't get past the first couple of swallows.

No food pairing suggestions on this weak effort.

1.3/5  rDev -29.3%

Poured a 2" white soap suds head which faded really fast. Clear straw yellow color. Faintest little grass smell. Taste is kind of like dirty seltzer water. So THIS is 95 calories? You're better off drinking plain clean water than this seltzer water out of a dirty glass.

1.3/5  rDev -29.3%

Absolutely the worst beer I've ever had. It can hardly be called beer. The taste is like if someone took half a bottle of water and added another half bottle of bud light to it. The only upside would be the drinkability. I would rather drink a non-alcoholic beer than this.

1.29/5  rDev -29.9%

Appearnace: This beer pours a very light yellowish hue,almost clear. The head is a bright white color that stacks up as high as you want to coax the liquid from the bottle,and then maintains a thin layer on top. Lots of beading can be found floating to the top.

Smell: The aromas were pure corn adjucts with a hint of grassy hops. Seemed to be borderline skunkish and pines.

Taste: A weak grassy hops and an even lighter corn husk. This concludes the taste. Basicly its a weak beer flavored water.

Mouthfeel: The feel was smooth crisp easy to drink. Medium level of carbonation with a light body. Watery in the finish.

Drinkability: I wouldn't recommend this. It just doesn't have any good characteristics. This is actually worse than Bud light.

Cheers2Beers

1.29/5  rDev -29.9%

I have to thank (or curse) my wife's friend Jenny for leaving this at my house. God knows that's the only way I would get to review it.

Poured a 12oz bottle into my New Belgium globe. This beer pours the most translucent shad of yellow I have ever seen pour out of a beer bottle. It really looks like yellow, bubbly water. The only thing that I can give it credit for is the fact that the pour produced a huge, 3 finger white head. When looked down from the top of the glass, it really looks like a pretty beer. The smell is really watery with just a hint of corn. The taste is, well, canned corn water. The mouthfeel is non-existent. Just like water. If you like drinking water, stick with the tap, if you like drinking beer, move on to something else. Either way, avoid this beer.

1.28/5  rDev -30.4%

Wife came home with a 6-pack. Looks, smells, and tastes like a watered-down Budweiser. To recap: clear yellow pour. Sickening corn syrup nose. Watery, beer-like taste with straw and sugar. Upside: you can drink a ton since it is as close to water as you can get. Downside: you have to drink a ton of this to like it. A travesty.

1.28/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Not going to go into a full review of this beer.

Lets just say that it does not taste like beer, does not look like beer and if I had a choice of this or no beer I would go without.

I understand the effort to make light beer for those trying to watch carbs or calories but if this is what you have to resort to you should just quit beer all together.

330ml bottle

Pours with a colourless body, fairly heavy carbonation and a fuzzy whispy head which doesnt stay around for long

Smell, is this a beer? Almost nothing comes off this, smells like the unfermented aroma of becks non alcoholic

Taste, sickening dryness, tastes with fizzy water, not much else

I hope that this low-carb thing doesnt become any bigger, and I hope it dies like all bad ideas should

1.28/5  rDev -30.4%

someone had these on a recent camping trip, and i couldn't resist trying it. pours a very fizzy clear, clear yellow with an instantaneously disappearing head. no aroma to speak of. taste is watery corn-beer, like someone took a coors light and cut it with club soda. palatable if ice cold, forget it if it gets above 40 degrees. i can't even imagine people who like light beer liking this crap. what an f'n disgrace.

1.27/5  rDev -31%

Some people left this behind at my house so I figured that I would at least try it. This is my first time ever tasting this stuff. Pours an extremely pale, extremely clear, straw color with big soda-like carbonation bubbles. Very small head that fizzles out quickly. Aroma is of light grains, adjuncts, corn, and a slightly "off-smell." Whoa, the taste is REALLY bad. This beer brings out a new level of skunkiness. Tastes extremely watery with an intense skunkiness in the finish. Mouthfeel is very watery and carbonated. This is one of the few "drain-pours" that I have had.

1.27/5  rDev -31%

This has to be one of the worst beers that I have ever tried. I kept asking myself "why, why, why." The color was extremely light and not enticing, much like the aroma. No hop aroma what so ever and a taste that is almost non-existant. A very watered down beer. I had to put some hops in the beer to give it at least a decent aroma to help me finish the beer.

1.27/5  rDev -31%

clear, pale, pale, pale yellow....thin foamy head. hints of lace. hints of adjuncts in the aroma. tastes of...um...nothing. seltzer water body. mineral water soul. there is some slight graininess to give it a ghostly like "light beeriness". crisp and clean. it's drinkable, but why would you want to drink this "beer" again? i swear i will NEVER drink this again as long as i live. worse than i expected...a shameful concoction.

1.25/5  rDev -32.1%

This beer is like sex in a canoe-it's fu**ing near water. Pours a pale, pale yellow, (almost clear) with little to no head. I have had bottled water with more taste than this garbage. No smell to speak of, mouthfeel is non existent. I can only give a higher mark for drinkability simply because the stuff goes down so easy, but so does water. Ultra is a fitting name for this beer, it ultra SUCKS.

look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Anyone so concerned about their weight that they might stoop to drinking this should just give up and drink a shot of vodka mixed in seltzer or diet tonic water.

1.25/5  rDev -32.1%

Appearance: pours an extremely pale yellow color, virtually almost devoid of color. There was a 2" head that quickly evaporated.

Smell: vegetable and corn mostly with a hint of grass.

Taste: little to no malt profile. Corn, dried grass, and no bitterness rounds it out.

Mouthfeel: light in body. Crisp throughout with a dry finish that is actually unpleasant. Clean aftertaste.

Overall: I don't understand why light beers need to be so tasteless. This is one of the worst ones I have had to sample. If you want some flavor in a light beer, have a Sam Adama Light. Avoid this.

1.25/5  rDev -32.1%

Poured this Light Lager from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Poured a pale yellow color, produced a small amount of head, poor retention and left only a small amount of lace on the glass. The aroma consists of cooked corn and cereal. Light in body, this brew has very little grain flavor, it tastes more of water then it does beer. There is only a ever so slight amount of hop bitterness. Dry finish. Overall one of the most boring,non flavorful beers that i have ever tried.

1.25/5  rDev -32.1%

I thought the phrase "beer flavored seltzer water" was a beer snob exaggeration until I tried Michelob Ultra. It indeed tastes like seltzer water with a light beer flavoring, which is in no way an exaggeration. I don't even know what to write about; there's barely any taste to the beer whatsoever. The aftertaste is bready. That's about it. I'll have this again when I run out of water.

1.25/5  rDev -32.1%

This wasn't the worst beer I've ever had because it isn't a beer. What? not a beer? But it has all the esential beer ingredients, like water, carbonation, and a bottle with a label.

The beer poored a wonderful color between the ground and the sky in kid's pictures. The smell? I never caught the smell. My olfactory glands aren't sensetive enough. What's left? Taste? It tasted like seltzer mixed with light beer. At least its better than seltzer though.

Why was I drinking this? My uncle insisted. I think I finished the bottle because it was empty, but my stomach didn't believe it.

1.25/5  rDev -32.1%

[Appearance]: Very pale yellow color, clear. Good amount of carbonation. No head, no lacing whatsoever. Looks like piss and club soda mix together.
[Smell]: Not much aroma, perhaps some adjunct.
[Taste]: Not much flavor at all, but I could detect some adjunct, but otherwise its very bland and watery.
[Mouthfeel]: Watery, very carbonated. Finish is clean maybe some dry aftertaste.
[Drinkability]: It's so bland and watery that I couldn't finish drinking the whole beer.

1.25/5  rDev -32.1%

After watching this beer sell like crazy and seeing everyone at bars drinking it I finally had to break down and try this " beer"(I had sworn I wouldnt ).

Appearance-- the lightest pale yellow i have seen in a beer.. It looked like I had poured water in a dirty beer glass in order to clean it. Minimal head with no retention.

Smell-- not much to say.. Vaguely cereal with off putting chemical notes.. but not much smell to speak of.

Taste. If the colour was light the flavour was lighter. It tasted as if someone cut a Michelob light with tonic water. This is the white wine spritzer of beer. No real malt and the hops are there only if you really think about it.. Also seems overly carbonated. I guess you could say its got drinkability since its like drinking water. Actually I would prefer water to this stuff. Low Carbs be damned give me some flavour!!!

look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

This is just a awful beer. No way would I ever purchase this beer, but a friend left some in my frig while visiting. I hate to see any beer wasted, but after tasting this one I have a change of heart. Watery yellow color, no distinguishable taste, ugh! Just bad.

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch