Michelob Ultra | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Light Lager

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Reviews: 605 | Ratings: 2,283
1.33/5  rDev -28.1%

Somebody at my New Year's party had a sixer of this wildly popular beer and I asked for a few ounces to try as a lark.

Appearance: lemon yellow, no head, light lacing

Smell: Perhaps some light lemons

Taste: Uh, distilled water? Very smooth, but where's the taste?

Mouthfeel: Light; low carbonation.

Overall: If I ever need watered down lemonade, I'll make it myself. A tasteless, practically odorless mess. Why so many people drink this is an absurdly odd statement about how badly people need to sample more craft beer.

look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Pours a fizzy pissy yellow, with a one inch head, and no lacing.

Smells like nothing. Very watery.

It tastes quite watery. There's only 90 calories here, and it shows. Some skunky tastes, with more vegetal hop tastes. Just. not. good.

Watery mouthfeel, slightly crisp near the end. High carbonation. Kinda makes me want to vomit.

Pass.

1.32/5  rDev -28.6%

Pours the palest of all possible yellows, it is almost water color.

Smell is almost nothing, faint sweetness and grain smell.

Taste is almost nothing at all. Non alcoholic O’Doul’s has more flavors than this. Take a regular Michelob and dilute it by a factor of 4, that is what is here. Almost seltzer water.

Mouthfeel is water.

It is drinkable as in like a glass of water.

1.32/5  rDev -28.6%

Decided to review this after it was left in my fridge after New Years Eve. Poured a lighter than pale yellow with a thin-carbon filled head. Similar to a soft drink. It smells bready with little substance. This is continued into the taste... bready with little taste and heavy carbonation. The carbonation dominates the mouthfeel. If you can drink carbonated water, this is drinkable. Poured this one out after 1/3 of the glass. No thank you.

Michelobe Ultra.....

I heard it taste like water
I knew it only had a few less cals than Lite
I knew it only had a few less carbs than Lite
I knew it wasn't going to be worth 8.99

but.........I was sold. I sold out.

Yes they sucked me in.

Those hot bodies on the commercials along with new years resolutions and the next thing you know I'm walking out of Krogers with a 12 pack.

It does not taste like water. It tastes like Perie. SPARKLING WATER!

It doesn't really even taste at all like BEER. NOT EVEN A HINT.

What was I thinking??????

I had to try it didn't I???

Is something wrong with me???

Am I normal???

Somebody HELP ME!

1.32/5  rDev -28.6%

A Low Carbohydrate beer regarded by Yuppies as a Reward. Has a very pale yellow appearance which culminates in a flavor profile of some light malt meets corn, and a slightly watery note of virtually no hops to balance out the water flavor. Tastes to me like seltzer water with a very slight hint of Michelob Light, itself no beer of character. With the slightest hint of a floral grain note. I'd much rather drink a sip of a real lager beer or ale which is decent than this horrid swill if I had to watch carbs and calories. To me, this is punishment, not a reward after a hard workout. I regard this as a beer insult even to low end BMC swill. So, you have a low rating. For many of us, this would take a dozen to not make you want more. So, horrid value for the money. So, please look elsewhere for a light lager and drink fewer and be happier. Ultra Swill I call this.

1.32/5  rDev -28.6%

Picked up at a family function. Most taste free beer I think I've ever had.

A: I'll give credit where credit is due. This beer looks pretty good. Very pale straw color with active carbonation. Head is foamy and firm, with good retention. Leaves quite a bit of lace.

S: Almost no aroma. Faint husky malt, plus rice and a hint of green apple. That's it.

T: Even less taste. A beer for people who don't like the taste of beer. Neither sweet nor bitter. Maybe a hint of dry malt. Finishes clean and dry. Almost like it was never there.

M: Super light body with too much fizz.

D: I'd never pick this up on purpose. No taste, no aromas, nothing going on. Like seltzer water with a splash of beer flavor.

1.31/5  rDev -29.2%

At first glance this beer's appearance isnt as bad as other light macros but, as they say, looks can be deceiving. Hardly any aromas to speak of. Maybe some mild metallic and corny husk. This beer literally tastes like seltzer with a bit of malt flavoring added. It's just awful. It's about as light as a beer can get. This is what people who don't really like beer drink or chicks who think they are watching their weight. Big time pass on this.

1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

Morbid curiosity drove me to try a bottle, and nearly killed me. It smells vaguely like beer but the resemblance ends there. It's sharp and fizzy and thin, with a harsh, almost soapy taste. If you think of it as mineral water, it's not so bad. Considering that it's obviously filtered to death, what the hell is in this stuff? Less than half a bottle gave me a vise-clencher of a headache and a queasy gut.

Never again.

1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

This beer pours a straw yellow color and is clear enough to read through; decent white head with some lasting power; little lace. An attractive pour.

The smell is thin. It's obvious that this beer uses a lot of adjuncts. I cannot discern any hop and the "malt" aroma is not from barley.

The only flavor notes of any value is the spiciness that is created more from over-carbonation than from any taste source. There is NO aftertaste. This is the thinnest beer I've ever had.

I'm not sure what is ultra about this beer other than the lack of taste and body. I suggest you save yourself and have water instead; it's cheaper with less calories.

1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

Served on tap at a dive bar in the Pittsburgh area. Vessel used was a plastic cup. Seemed appropo.

Appearance: Very pale straw yellow. Clear with a short lived white head.

Smell: Not much going on here. I got some faint grassy aromas, occasionally some skunkiness, and some other off aromas that just may have been the background smells of the bar.

Taste: A "beery" taste that lasts a millisecond, giving way to seltzer water. Blech.

Mouthfeel: Perrier has more substance.

Drinkability: Ick. I can't believe I drank this, but my family had ordered it, and I thought I should see just how bad it was.

1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

Pour- What in the hell is going on! NO HEAD at all! Little carbonation bubbles, like I poured yellow 7up.

Smell- Has a feint smell of Bud Light. Nothing to the nose really at all.

Taste- Rice,corn uh-nothing else

Mouthfeel- A joke, I think I just drank water.

Drinkability- Low carb? Come on! Is this what we've reduced ourselves to. Macro-Beer was already reduced down in flavor and calories a hundred times before this drink came around. America Macros supposedly made good beer before WW2 and then they marketed after the women, so what does that tell you?(No offense to any women on this site that like good beer)

1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

Pours a see through yellow white color. The smell is of nothing, there is a hint of some type of grain. The taste is of nothing, but a barely there grain. The taste is watery, but at least not offensive. The mouthfeel is overly carbonated. Overall there is not much to this beer, it is pretty simple and weak all over, yet there is nothing offensive about it. It is really nothing to speak of.

1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

It has a very pale yellow color with a small, fizzy head. The smell is hard to desrcibe because it doesn't really smell like anything. The taste slightly resembles a lager, but for the most part it tastes like water. Mouthfeel was also rather water-like. I gave it a 2 on drinkability because you could easily drink alot because it is so light.

1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

Obviously AB had created a watered down lo cal/carb beer for people who want to drink a beer but don't like beer (if you know what I mean...). Had this at a friend's wedding last week. :(

A = Light pale straw in color with a short-lived minor head and no lace.

S = Very minimal grain presence.

T = This reminds me of some stale "big city" tap water with a minimal level of beer flavor added as an after thought.

M = Thin and watery...

D = Couldn't get past the first couple of swallows.

No food pairing suggestions on this weak effort.

1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

Poured a 2" white soap suds head which faded really fast. Clear straw yellow color. Faintest little grass smell. Taste is kind of like dirty seltzer water. So THIS is 95 calories? You're better off drinking plain clean water than this seltzer water out of a dirty glass.

1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

Absolutely the worst beer I've ever had. It can hardly be called beer. The taste is like if someone took half a bottle of water and added another half bottle of bud light to it. The only upside would be the drinkability. I would rather drink a non-alcoholic beer than this.

1.29/5  rDev -30.3%

Appearnace: This beer pours a very light yellowish hue,almost clear. The head is a bright white color that stacks up as high as you want to coax the liquid from the bottle,and then maintains a thin layer on top. Lots of beading can be found floating to the top.

Smell: The aromas were pure corn adjucts with a hint of grassy hops. Seemed to be borderline skunkish and pines.

Taste: A weak grassy hops and an even lighter corn husk. This concludes the taste. Basicly its a weak beer flavored water.

Mouthfeel: The feel was smooth crisp easy to drink. Medium level of carbonation with a light body. Watery in the finish.

Drinkability: I wouldn't recommend this. It just doesn't have any good characteristics. This is actually worse than Bud light.

Cheers2Beers

1.29/5  rDev -30.3%

I have to thank (or curse) my wife's friend Jenny for leaving this at my house. God knows that's the only way I would get to review it.

Poured a 12oz bottle into my New Belgium globe. This beer pours the most translucent shad of yellow I have ever seen pour out of a beer bottle. It really looks like yellow, bubbly water. The only thing that I can give it credit for is the fact that the pour produced a huge, 3 finger white head. When looked down from the top of the glass, it really looks like a pretty beer. The smell is really watery with just a hint of corn. The taste is, well, canned corn water. The mouthfeel is non-existent. Just like water. If you like drinking water, stick with the tap, if you like drinking beer, move on to something else. Either way, avoid this beer.

1.28/5  rDev -30.8%

Wife came home with a 6-pack. Looks, smells, and tastes like a watered-down Budweiser. To recap: clear yellow pour. Sickening corn syrup nose. Watery, beer-like taste with straw and sugar. Upside: you can drink a ton since it is as close to water as you can get. Downside: you have to drink a ton of this to like it. A travesty.

1.28/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Not going to go into a full review of this beer.

Lets just say that it does not taste like beer, does not look like beer and if I had a choice of this or no beer I would go without.

I understand the effort to make light beer for those trying to watch carbs or calories but if this is what you have to resort to you should just quit beer all together.

330ml bottle

Pours with a colourless body, fairly heavy carbonation and a fuzzy whispy head which doesnt stay around for long

Smell, is this a beer? Almost nothing comes off this, smells like the unfermented aroma of becks non alcoholic

Taste, sickening dryness, tastes with fizzy water, not much else

I hope that this low-carb thing doesnt become any bigger, and I hope it dies like all bad ideas should

1.28/5  rDev -30.8%

someone had these on a recent camping trip, and i couldn't resist trying it. pours a very fizzy clear, clear yellow with an instantaneously disappearing head. no aroma to speak of. taste is watery corn-beer, like someone took a coors light and cut it with club soda. palatable if ice cold, forget it if it gets above 40 degrees. i can't even imagine people who like light beer liking this crap. what an f'n disgrace.

1.27/5  rDev -31.4%

Some people left this behind at my house so I figured that I would at least try it. This is my first time ever tasting this stuff. Pours an extremely pale, extremely clear, straw color with big soda-like carbonation bubbles. Very small head that fizzles out quickly. Aroma is of light grains, adjuncts, corn, and a slightly "off-smell." Whoa, the taste is REALLY bad. This beer brings out a new level of skunkiness. Tastes extremely watery with an intense skunkiness in the finish. Mouthfeel is very watery and carbonated. This is one of the few "drain-pours" that I have had.

1.27/5  rDev -31.4%

This has to be one of the worst beers that I have ever tried. I kept asking myself "why, why, why." The color was extremely light and not enticing, much like the aroma. No hop aroma what so ever and a taste that is almost non-existant. A very watered down beer. I had to put some hops in the beer to give it at least a decent aroma to help me finish the beer.

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch