Michelob Ultra | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Light Lager

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Ratings: 2,324 |  Reviews: 611
2.35/5  rDev +27%

Okay, it was the lesser of two evils. However, this was not so bad today . . . hanging out at the Wachovia Open in Charlotte during the third round. Beautiful day to enjoy a beer, so what the heck. Typical light beer qualities. Very easy to down, especially in 85 degree heat. Not a bad memory in the least.

2.35/5  rDev +27%

I usually don't drink light beers. Somehow I was at the gas station walk in fridge and wanted something cheap and different and saw this. I thought wow Ultra that's not a light beer. When I got home a read the label more closely and realized it was a light beer. I needed to mow the lawn today so this was perfect. Cold, refreshing, not offensive. I really like the sexy tall can. Not much of a smell. Feels good in my mouth and is very smooth. Taste is actually ok, doesn't taste like much but nothing bad. Overall I liked it. I may choose this over Coors light and definitely over bud light.

Cheers :)

2.35/5  rDev +27%

Poured into 10oz pilsener glass. Poured a thin yellow color, the beer was very clean and clear with about a half-inch of white head that had low retention and very light lacing.

The aroma had just a light scent of grain and the faintest whiff of hops. The flavor was the same, just a bit weaker. The body was very thin, even considering the style. The beer was easily drinkable, but so is water. Overall, this is a decent example of the style. It would probably make a decent electrolyte replacement beverage after some hard work or play. But as a beer, why bother? It has all the peeing with none of the fun.

2.34/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

it's not as bad as many things. it can be somewhat refreshing and never makes me feel bad.

2.34/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Thanks to Tucker for buying a 12 pack of these and usually drinking half of these by the time he gets to wherever we are!

Looks like a very weak, but professional beer, tons of clarity, light watery yellow appearance, thin head. Pour a bunch of water into a normal AAL and this is what it prolly looks like. Aroma, almost nonexistant, but you can get a smidge of barley aroma in it. Its not bad, its just barely present.

Taste, barely anything to taste, but again, it isn't a bad taste, its just extremely watered down. Same with the mouthfeel. When you start to think you can pick up on a small hop zest, you realize its just the massive amount of carbonation they put in. Its like equal parts seltzer water and AAL.

I like this beer when its like 100 degrees out. Or when I need to cleanse my palate. Other than that, I don't understand this beer, but its not bad. Just watered down. Which is bad. Hmmm. Its somewhere between bad and watered down.

A = fizzy and yellow, like most AAL's. Nothing to write home about

S = Apple cider, some cereal graininess, cooked corn, some hop presence

T = Very sweet, apple/white grape juice-like flavor, cooked corn, very little hop bitterness.

M = Spritzy, not quite as seltzer-like as Bud Light but close, very slick and watery, thin

O = One of the better AAL's in my opinion, good as a thirst quencher and not much else. May as well drink a glass of sparkling cider or grape juice.

2.34/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank this from bottle at many bars, restuarants and college parties. no sustainable head, pale gold color with a terrible white head.. The aroma is light, not super skunky as this is mostly water. The taste is all water. Nothing worth ever drinking.

2.34/5  rDev +26.5%

Review from notes. Enjoyed by me 11 28 09. Poured from the 12 oz. brown bottle offered to me at a Birthday party last night. "Born on" date of 10 22 09 so I guess that it is fresh. Poured into a tall, clear weizen glass.

A Nearly water like appearance of extremely light yellow with bubbles rising up from the bottom of the glass. Brief white head dissipated within 45 seconds. Nearly devoid of character. 2.0

S Very light (I mean very light) barley with an interesting banana sweetness that I did not expect. 3.0

T Wow. Very close to water. The almost extreme thinness of the taste does carry with it the aforementioned barley and a bit of distant banana, as one might get from walking by a case of fresh bananas and getting just a hint of a whiff of them. There is no aftertaste. The trace taste simply disappears and then there is nothing, as if you just took a gulp of water. 1.5

M The thinnest mouthfeel maybe ever in a beer that I have had. This is the beer's worst feature. 1.0

D Well good since it is very close to water. In fact, I would take a nice glass of ice water over this beer. I mean it, I would rather have water and then, later crack open a beer with some taste. 4.0

2.33/5  rDev +25.9%

A drinkable beer who's major advantage is a low carbohydrate count. Will not fill you up no matter how much you drink. It is average in almost every category for its type(appearance, smell, taste.) Better than many lite beers but not overly impressive. Head does not last. It is best drank ice cold on a hot summer day.

2.33/5  rDev +25.9%

It looks like beer so ill give credit there.... doesnt smell like anything pleasant. the taste is water status but fuck it, its drinkable so its got that to offer!

look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

My friends and I call Michelob Ultra "Uncle Beer" because it's the beer that seemingly all of our mid-50s to mid-60s uncles drink. Never had I ever tried it or planned to try it until I found myself broke this Christmas and unable to bring a six-pack of my own choice of beer to a family gathering. Seeing me without a beer, my uncle offered me an Uncle Beer. So I accepted.

This beer is light yellow, I think the lightest yellow I've ever seen a beer. Completely clear, fairly bubbly. I gave the smell a 2, because it doesn't smell bad. (It doesn't smell good either, it doesn't really smell at all actually.) The taste is... passable. It's really not bad. Actually better than a couple other light beers I've had. The feel similarly isn't the worst thing in the world. It's drinkable. I'd rather drink a couple of these light things than try to choke down a poorly made thick, heavy porter or stout.

Overall it's ok. I would drink this if offered for free at a BBQ or gathering and there were no other options, but I would never buy Michelob Ultra.

2.32/5  rDev +25.4%

What can I saw that hasn't already been said. I tried this beer to just try it. I wanted to go jogging, this stuff is water. I don't even understand why this is made. Sure it's low in carbs and everything, but it's all empty calories. It's not healthy for you, wake up. This beer is sold based on marketing alone.

2.31/5  rDev +24.9%

Ordered at Uncle Julio's. Poured starw coloured with thin head, no smell and soda water 0.1% hop taste. Surprisingly, not even a hint of malt. Waterlike with high carbonation. If you want a session without any stopping or guilt, this could be a possible choice.

2.31/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Better than Budweiser but still unpleasant. I had this once in May 2016 in a 25 oz can I got from a local drive thru to relax on a warm sunset and try it. Close family friends drank this when I was a kid and I wanted to judge it for myself. Quickly dispersing foamy head, looks like any other AAL if not lighter... Smells like rice and soap. Like I find with most Anheuser-Busch beers, it had a characteristic sickly sweetness to which I despise. Feels carbonated as expected. Watery, also expected. No aftertaste, really. Standard AB quality (low).

2.3/5  rDev +24.3%

to say this beer is watered down is an understatment. i guess this beer would be good for someone on the low carb diet, other than that i see no real use for it other than ocassional because although the taste is nearly nothing it still has more taste than bud light, but that does not say much.

2.3/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.5

A vigorous pour of Michelob Ultra yields the palest of pale straw-yellow bodies and a head that disappears in the blink of an eye and leaves no evidence it ever existed. Carbonation is vigorous at first. Then the large, soda-pop bubbles disappear and things calm down. A few vigorous swirls around the glass fail to produce any foam to speak of.

The nose is more appealing than expected. Watered-down cider and champagne come to mind.

The taste follows the nose, but adds flavors of seltzer water and alcohol. Bittering hops add crispness to the beer's cider-champagne flavors. I like this much more than I thought I would. Skunky "macro-brew" flavors are kept to a minimum thanks to the beer's extremely thin malt profile.

The beer is entirely too watery. Its carbonation is harsh at first, then disappears. Flat beer? No thanks.

I can think of a few reasons why beer drinkers might reach for a Michelob Ultra. It's a fine choice for beer drinkers who are counting calories and carbohydrates. Its crispness and wateriness are welcome characteristics on very hot afternoons. The thinness of its malt profile minimizes the nasty "skunk" flavors of American macro-lagers, making Ultra comparatively enjoyable. Indeed, I'd reach for a Michelob Ultra before any of the "big three" (Coors, Miller, Budweiser) or their light counterparts.

Born on dated 5-17-04

This beer poured a pale-pale yellow, very watered downed yellow in color. It was crystal clear and super carbonated, tons of dancing bubbles (probably one of the most carbonated beers that I have come across to date). After a semi-vigorous pour it produced a fairly thick foam, between 1 and 2 inches high. It was not to dense, more on the light and airy side (cloud like). It was pure white in color, and had a lasting power that was fairly decent; it finally fell to nothing around half glass. There was some lace present in the beginning but it ran down the sides and disappeared faster then the head. The aroma was on the light side, hints of grains, husks (corn) and a light malt, more sweet then malty. All and all the aroma was nothing outstanding but was crisp, light and airy, like the head that was produced. The taste was allot like the aromas, light, airy, and on the sweet side. Flavors of sweet light malt dominated along with a grainy husky corn presence all through the mouth from first sip on the lips and tongue to it made its way down the back of the throat. There was a slight aftertaste of some sweetness and grains, but it quickly faded. It was very light in body. Over all impression of this beer, it is a good beer compared to most of its competitors, nothing much as far as aromas and tastes. It leaves nothing to make you want to come back for more. But I can say it is a crisp, clean, refreshing beer that on a hot day did its job. I swiped this one from my dadÂ’s case that we keep for him for my house because he helps out so much, and I can honestly say, his stash is safe from me, I will not be raiding it.

2.29/5  rDev +23.8%

Michelob Ultra
Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
Style: Light Lager
ABV: 4.20 %

Reviewed @ home 11/12/08, bottle>dimpled mug
Reviewed according to style, I refuse to slam BMC products out of style context!

A 3.0, very very light pale straw in color, poured to a clean nice 2 finger head - gone quick, reduced to an okay collar - wow this is a surprise.
S 1.5 - very faint malt/grain smell, faint hints on hops - but faint indeed
T 3.0, not bad, just not good - because not much taste at all.
MF 1.5 - very very thin. Watery. High carbo.
D - 2.0 - I guess it's "good" if you like this sorta thing for light beer. But it's shy on taste, mouthfeel and ABV - so it's leaves thinking - what's the point?

look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.28/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Mich Ultra

A: Very very light pale straw yellow. Honestly probably the lightest beer I have ever seen in a glass. 2 plus fingers bright white head builds then dissipates quickly leaving essentially no lacing. 2.25

S: Subtle malt sweetness, adjuncty, not much else. 2.25

T: like the nose it's pretty much just adjunct flavors and subtle sweet malt. No hop characters to speak of 2.25

M/D: thin body, carbonation appropriate, drinks like water 2.5

O: well if you have to drink am AAL this one isn't a bad choice. Not particularly good but actually decent and no horrible off flavors like some of them. 2.25

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch