Michelob Ultra | Anheuser-Busch

Michelob UltraMichelob Ultra

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Light Lager

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Reviews: 592 | Ratings: 2,218

12 ounce bottle from by buddy's fridge

Quite possibly the lighest beer I have ever drank

Pour was clear/golden color with no head

Taste was really lame, water with some carbonation pretty much

Could drink these all day because there are practically no calories or carbohydrates, they have called this beer zero

If you feel like drinking a case and not getting full or putting on weight, this is probably the way to go

2.38/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Color is almost totally lacking, just a hint of pale yellow. Some white foam, but quickly disappears. The aroma is mild: fruity, apple is hinted at, and the initial taste is harsh. A hint of malt, almost no hops – or flavor. Like a friend of mine said, why would anyone drink this when there are pilsners available? The flavor is more than “limited,” it is almost undetectable. This will definitely be my last Ultra.

2.38/5  rDev +29.3%

Appearance has a light straw color with a quickly dissipating crisp head. Smell has a faint grainy sweetness. Taste, having light grain and hops this must be the most diluted beer I've ever had. Mouthfeel is light with good carbonation. Not a terrible beer, but goes down real quick and smooth, would be exellent on a hot day.

2.39/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

From the can, it pours a very very pale golden with a vigorous head, dissipating rapidly, although a continual stream of bubbles comes from the bottom. Faint aroma of adjuncts?? Taste is quite minimal, but drinkable.

2.4/5  rDev +30.4%

If you could imagine boiling corn and rice in the same pot then straining it and adding sugary seltzer to the water the corn and rice boiled in you would come close to this. however this is an utlra light beer coming in at 95 calories and is useful when trying to loose weight. Like I have been doing for the past few months and it has paid off considerably and it is easy to drink. However, it doesn't taste like much of anything but is an alternative to drinking a high abv, high calorie beer when trying to work out and loose weight. This is the best ultra light beer I have had to date

2.4/5  rDev +30.4%

Do you like water? of course you do. If you are ooking for a buzz, but like the taste of water, then MU is what you like. My gf likes it for the atkins aspect- but I still don't. I mean tis is water w/ abv, basically. don't drink it if you hafta, but if you like water, by all measn go for it

2.4/5  rDev +30.4%

Even for a light beer, Michelob Ultra is pretty underwhelming. Light yellow in appearance, with a simple smell, and near non-existant taste. Carbonated, watered-down beer. Towards the end, it's hard to finish. Would be fine if you were desperate or having a burger or hot dog at a BBQ and trying to avoid the calories, but Sam Adams Light, Amstel Light or even Bud Light would be a better choice.

Reviewed from notes

Appearance: very pale yellow, minimal head, no lacing

Smell: not much at all, faint corn if anything

Taste: very much akin to the smell, not much going on, watered down

Mouthfeel: light, crisp on the tongue

Drinkability: the beer that got the wife to drink beer, hey, we all gotta start somewhere, thankfully, she has moved on.

Cheers!
The CPJ

2.4/5  rDev +30.4%

275 mL brown bottle poured into a glass.

A: thin, clear, pale yellow--lots of fizz, but not really a head, nor any lacing.

S: nothing much, just a generic lager smell.

T: not much flavor, but I've certainly had worse.

M: lots of crisp bite, but it leaves a strangely dry, faint aftertaste.

D: don't drink this if you want a beer--this is for the low calorie seeker only.

2.42/5  rDev +31.5%

Tasted at Red Lobster:

A: Extra pale yellow color, without head of foam;

S: Fresh malt and processed grains;

T: Malt, acid grains and lots of carbonation;

M: Refreshing, light bitterness, high carbonation and light body;

D: I liked with the clam chowder.

2.42/5  rDev +31.5%

Oddly enough, I think a number of BA's out there lose sight of what a beer is intended to do. It seems like BAs come in to reviewing this beer thinking that A~B wanted to make a beer with tons of flavor to stand up to the best Belgian or strong Ale, which just isn't the case.

When reviewing this beer, I will give it a 1.0 for Appearance, because it was like... neon green... almost like bud light with a highlighter broken into it. But smell wasn't 'awful' like 1.0 says, it was like... nothing noteworthy. Tasty wasn't 'awful' because it really has little to no flavor. Kind of nondescript, so I couldn't 1.0 it. Mouthfeel is bubbly, like Sprite. But one must consider drinkability. I mean I could drink a whole case of this and not feel too weighted down. So theoretically a high rating should be applied here.

But AB was trying to make a Low-Carb beer, and they achieved this goal. They didn't attempt at flavor or complex nature. Remember that when reviewing this beer. Because I love tons of quality brews, but since I'm a fitness addict, during the week when I want a brew, I don't need something with a Metric ton of calories. But something tells me a large percentage of the people truly bashing this beer for its caloric content, etc. have guts hanging over their beltlines... just a thought.

2.43/5  rDev +32.1%

Pours a very pale straw yellow color with a small amount of fizzy white head, not really any lacing.

The scent was mostly of corn.

The taste was of corn, some biscuty malts and yeast.

Light bodied, incredibly thin, very crisp, low carbonation.

I have to say this was much better than I had anticipated. There is actually some flavor which I expected none. I doubt I will drink this ever again but I would take it over many other light lagers.

2.44/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.75

12 fl oz can condition light lager - overpriced $8.5 locally (6 pack)

Pours a nearly clear pale yellow that appears to be more like water compared to any beer i've seen, with no retainable head or lacing. The smell resembles a faint cracker flavour with almost no character - I am not drinking this for its flavour; remember, it's because I want to keep a 6 pack....

Upfront flavors revel mainly malt, light hops (almost undetectable), and a tremendous amount of carbonation leaving nearly no taste and a tiny bit of cereal grain left on the palate. It's not even worth the exuberant pricing the badge bring, this is pretty terrible in all honesty.

2.45/5  rDev +33.2%

Poured into a pilsner glass.

A - Light yellow in color, with a slight amount of foam that settles quickly.

S - Nothing of note. Can barely smell anything that resembles beer.

T - Its refreshing, so I'll give it that much. But if you are looking for flavor you won't find any.

M - Okay. Not sure what to say here. There is some carbonation. But essentially its bland.

D - Yeah it is drinkable. But why would you have a bunch of these? I'll take one good craft beer over a few of these anytime.

2.45/5  rDev +33.2%

From spending the night at my girlfriends, I found myself alone in the house today. I grabbed one of these just to actually try it.

A: Pours a pale straw color with bubbly white head that fades really fast. No lacing. Boring.

S: Corn, slight metallic smells.

T: Corn is the first taste on the taste buds right away. There are some other grains, but corn is dominant here.

M: I feel like I'm drinking a new Corn Soda from one of our favorite Brands! Not what I want in a beer.

D: I guess you could call this drinkable, but by no means would I ever want a session or pong game with it. I suppose if you were dieting and needed a session beer, it would do.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Found this lone bottle hanging out in my fridge, it's a left over from last weeks party I hosted.

Pours a clear faint yellow color, really bubbly, with a decent white head.

Aromas are creamy, with some corn, and minerals. While this doesn't smell great, it certainly has more aromas than I expected.

Taste is sweet and mineral like. Lightly creamy, corn like, and crisp. Finish has some light mineral bitterness, and some more sweetness. For a really light beer, this has more flavor than I expected, but it's not very good flavors.

Mouthfeel is thin, and very watery.

Overall, well... It's not quite a drain pour, but it certainly isn't something I'd ever want to drink again. I'll give this beer some credit though for at least having some flavor and aromas, even though they aren't all that pleasant.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A head formed but disapeared quickly forming a faint ring around the glass. Very light straw yellow body. Looks quite carbonated.

Smells like your typical macro beer. Grain, cereal, faint grass, a weak apple aroma as well.

Carbonated water with grain, cereal, apple and grass. Very boring beer, I guess, okay, for a light beer.

Feels like carbonated water. Very prickly. Not much else.

If you want a light beer... Drink Miller Lite. Weak light beer. Boring by all means.

2.46/5  rDev +33.7%

I had a 6 pack of these over a couple of days. 12 ounce bottles poured into a pilsener. "Born On" date of 08/20/2012.

Appearance: Very clear pale yellow, white fizzy head that reduced quickly to a thin froth. Some carbonation bubbles and a thin lacing as the beer was drank.

Smell: Not a lot here. Slight grainy aroma with a little something metallic in the background.

Taste: As to flavor there was not a lot. Crisp, dry and semi-sweet with mild hop bitterness. Slight sting.

Mouth feel: Thin, watery, slight bite, semi-dry.

Overall: Refreshing and good after getting hot and thirsty. Easy to drink. If you want something with flavor you need to try something else.

2.47/5  rDev +34.2%

12 ounce bottle, "born on date" of 1/3/08. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a very pale clear yellow color with a half inch white head. Head retention is low, lacing is OK. Aroma is corn, grain, and a little bit of sweet malt. It tastes the same as it smells, sweet and grainy. No offensive aromas or flavors. Mouthfeel/body is light, it has a lot of carbonation and it's watery. Drinkability is average, it isn't hard to drink and it goes down almost as easy as water does. I could down a few of these on a hot day. It's not what I'd call a good beer, but it's not horrible either. For the style it's not bad.

2.48/5  rDev +34.8%

Quick Version:
Ultra light and flavorless. No skunkiness. For people who don't like beer.

Details:
I think it's important when rating this 'beer' to at least try to keep in mind the context of the audience AB is trying to reach.

This product is really for designated drivers and people who don't like beer but want to look fashionable holding a brown beer bottle in various social settings.

Let's face it, people don't drink it to get a buzz and they certainly don't drink it for the beer flavor.

In this context they hit it out of the park. It's pretty much an A+. Fancy looking bottle, low calorie, no flavor, no buzz. Good for business too because they sell it by the boxcar load and don't have to really put any ingredients in it other than water, carbonation, and a smidgeon of yellow food coloring. What a business model!

Now, from the perspective of someone who doesn't fit into this category of beer drinker, I'd feel a bit ripped off if I didn't already know what I was getting into (actually left over from my mom's last visit).

I know now why the call it "ultra". It stands for ultra-pale, ultra-aromaless, and ultra-flavorless. I also know why they advertise so heavily in Runners World and sponsor a series of running races across America. They could literally hydrate marathoners at every mile marker with it.

It poured clean and crisp for sure. Lots of snow white foamy bubbles. About a 1/2" or so that faded to flat before the bottle hit the table. Bubbles were perky throughout the rest of the review.

Color is ultra pale, almost transparent, yellow. Very much like a well hydrated person's urine. Bubbly carbonation is a bit refreshing.
No hop aroma. Closest thing I could come up with to describe it is a faint dishwater lemon/lime smell. Like a lemon Palmolive maybe.

Wateriest, least flavorful beer I've ever tasted.
Lack of skunk flavor and smell was a plus (which we all know is pretty much expected in this genre) and gave it a boost in my ratings. Feeble finish. Maybe a non-salty pretzel aftertaste with some carbide drillbit shavings in it. Definitely taste a little metal.

p.s. Where's the malt? Is there ANY in here?

I'd tank this beer lower if I didn't see it for what it is. In its own right it's what it needs to be. However, I just can't look myself in the mirror and give this dog anything higher than a D...

2.48/5  rDev +34.8%

A lot of people are going to think I am crazy, but I like this beer. A part of the reason is that I am straddling the line between beer geek (in training) and weight lifter (not huge yet). So having this at social gatherings at bars is almost necessary for me. If I wanted just to lose weight, I probably wouldn't drink this as there are much better light beers. Now, it is a very light, watery gold draft w/ a quickly dieing head that greets me (the barwecnch didn't even bother tilting the glass, but why bother with this beer). But I find that it has a nice, smooth but crisp body w/ the adjuncts making a nice taste (smell this and you are going to pick up water and corn). Since it is very low in calories and carbs and alcohol, this is redrinkable. In fact, you might have to drink many of them to catch a buzz.

2.49/5  rDev +35.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A - I'd like to say "average American pilsner," but it really isn't. A little paler, very clear. An almost unhealthy-looking color.

S - Rather poor. A hint of alcohol, some skunkiness. Nothing else notable.

T - Very little flavor at all. Doesn't possess the skunky bitterness that Budweiser has so strongly. A hint of wheat. Surprisingly drinkable. No malts, bare hints of hops.

M - Very light and watery. Makes it easy to drink, though, if your goal is quantity over quality.

O - I'd say Mich Ultra is actually a better beer than the typical BMC fare, if only because it is so devoid of flavor that it avoids all the bad flavors. Definitely more drinkable on tap than Bud (for my tastes).

2.5/5  rDev +35.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

810th Review on BA
Bottle to Pint
12oz
No Date

App- A very bubbly clear yellow with a one finger head and then its gone. No cling or lace either.

Smell- A little sweet lager notes with some wheat and lemon behind it.

Drink- I really have to say, I got nothing from this. It wasnt offensive or inoffensive just light and bubbly water with a little lemon.

Mouth- Light bodied and high carbonated.

Drink- When my stone IPA ran out, I had no choice at a friends house. I let him drink my beer, but Ill try not to have to drink this again

2.5/5  rDev +35.9%

Poured a very pale staw color.
Smell was very clean macro; a bit grassy with adjuncts.
Tastes like most light macro lagers, except with even less taste.
This beer is very carbonated, this was almost like drinking beer-flavored club soda.
Being that it is so inoffensive, this stuff is very easy to drink, but if you are looking for a beer with any taste you will be disappointed.
If you are looking for a light beer with at least some flavor, Miller High Life Light might be more up your alley (with similar calorie content as this).

2.5/5  rDev +35.9%

1st smell - not much here, a little bit of that "typical beer" smell you get from a bunch of empty bottles laying in the trash; but overall pretty bland
1st taste - watery, not much taste here; the only taste i can really put my finger on is the typical macro lager taste (they pretty much all taste the same - Bud, Coors, Miller, etc.), watered down some though. Not a bad taste though, just pretty bland.
Drinkability is good for this beer though, it's easy to chug. This is a good beer for beer pong, flip cup, or any other drinking game. As far as sitting down and actually enjoying a good tasting beer, I would not recommend this one.

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch