Michelob Ultra | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Light Lager

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Reviews: 597 | Ratings: 2,254
2.31/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Better than Budweiser but still unpleasant. I had this once in May 2016 in a 25 oz can I got from a local drive thru to relax on a warm sunset and try it. Close family friends drank this when I was a kid and I wanted to judge it for myself. Quickly dispersing foamy head, looks like any other AAL if not lighter... Smells like rice and soap. Like I find with most Anheuser-Busch beers, it had a characteristic sickly sweetness to which I despise. Feels carbonated as expected. Watery, also expected. No aftertaste, really. Standard AB quality (low).

2.33/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

My friends and I call Michelob Ultra "Uncle Beer" because it's the beer that seemingly all of our mid-50s to mid-60s uncles drink. Never had I ever tried it or planned to try it until I found myself broke this Christmas and unable to bring a six-pack of my own choice of beer to a family gathering. Seeing me without a beer, my uncle offered me an Uncle Beer. So I accepted.

This beer is light yellow, I think the lightest yellow I've ever seen a beer. Completely clear, fairly bubbly. I gave the smell a 2, because it doesn't smell bad. (It doesn't smell good either, it doesn't really smell at all actually.) The taste is... passable. It's really not bad. Actually better than a couple other light beers I've had. The feel similarly isn't the worst thing in the world. It's drinkable. I'd rather drink a couple of these light things than try to choke down a poorly made thick, heavy porter or stout.

Overall it's ok. I would drink this if offered for free at a BBQ or gathering and there were no other options, but I would never buy Michelob Ultra.

1.69/5  rDev -8.6%

12 oz bottle from my sister's fridge, decided to pour into a pint glass for review purpose only.

L - Just about the clearest beer I've ever seen. A tint of yellow, maybe started to turn neon under a certain light with my bad eyesight. Deceiving inch of head that goes away before you throw away the bottle. Resembles champagne or a watered-down ginger ale.

S - Water. Really hard to pick up any evidence of malt, hops, wheat, or corn. Some metal and wet grass but nothing really there.

T - Seltzer, the faintest bit of corn at the end. Makes me feel like I'm hydrating by drinking sparkling water but then remember it's beer. About as "diet" and "low cal" of a "beer" as it gets.

F - Everything factored in, it's clearly a light-bodied, highly-carbonated beer that's as drinkable as water. At about 4% ABV, you can "feel" good knowing it's a 95 calorie, 2.6g carb beer. But at that point, why waste your money? Nearly the equivalent of drinking an O'Douls.

O - Wouldn't turn it down if offered, otherwise would never go out of my way to purchase this. It's marketed nowadays as an "active person"'s beer. If you're going to work out and plan on drinking afterwards, I guess this is a good "post workout" beer. But that's like selling a cigarette to a kid.

1.8/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

As this was drank from a can, on a school bus, for my wife's best friends wedding as we were going to get pictures, without air conditioning, on a ridiculous unseasonably 80 degree warm end of October day, I will give this beer the benefit of the doubt as I was dying from heat in a full suit. That said, I am not a beer snob. I drink what you give me and don't complain. However, I made a mental note (after drinking a bud light and coors light) how bad this was in comparison. As it was in a can, I will rate the "look" higher than I probably should. The smell wasn't horrible, but the taste was utterly off putting. The feel was of seltzer water and nothing more. Note to self: avoid if there are other options.

2.63/5  rDev +42.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3

Pours a very pale yellow color, the medium sized head fades to nothingness very quickly. The smell is a very faint aroma of corn and grain. The taste is extremely light without much flavor, aside from a hint of grains at first taste and a slight malt finish. Definitely not a beer to drink if you are looking for great flavor or taste. The mouthfeel however is a different story. Without a doubt the smoothest beer I have ever had, as well as having a perfect level of carbonation which makes this beer refreshing and easy to chug.

2.09/5  rDev +13%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Can from the discount bin at Jackson's, all of 35 cents. As pale as you can get, foamy head fades to nothing. Grainy aroma, normal for the style. Taste is barely there, and then disappears. Not horrendous, but not much substance either.

1.25/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

This is just a awful beer. No way would I ever purchase this beer, but a friend left some in my frig while visiting. I hate to see any beer wasted, but after tasting this one I have a change of heart. Watery yellow color, no distinguishable taste, ugh! Just bad.

1.24/5  rDev -33%
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

No smell. Tastes like someone put a loaf of bread in a gallon of water and let it sit over night, then strained it through one of Caitlyn Jenner's old jock straps. I see people drinking this swill all the time and I just don't get it.

2.59/5  rDev +40%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Anheuser-Busch - Michelob Ultra. 4.2% ABV. 16oz mug ordered at a restaurant.

Look: Pale straw body arrived with a thin white head.

Smell: Not really anything; maybe light wheat.

Feel: Light bodied, heavily carbonated.

Taste: As bland as the smell. light wheat presence and that's about it.

Overall: Another big macro beer that is not special in the slightest. It is less offensive than some other Light Lagers that taste like corn or cracker soda, but that leaves this like soda water.

1.15/5  rDev -37.8%

Pours that straw yellow-ish color that nobody likes. Smells sour and of rotting fruit. Feels thin, watery, over carbonated. I'll drink one of these over a Bud Light, I actually made that decision today, but it's really not very good. There is a malt flavor that shines through here and there that isn't terrible, but usually it's terrible.

1.51/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Pours pale, very clear with a very mild white foam head. Aroma is very mild, of malts and some noble hops. Taste is incredibly mild, like mineral water, low bitterness, nothing to enjoy in this beer.

2.04/5  rDev +10.3%

A pale yellow with a thin, white head that falls off to a ring leaving no lacing, this looks OK. The nose is inoffensive and blend, a clean, mild water cracker flavor and aroma, no hops, no malt. Thin, clean and minimally bitter on the palate with no body, no flavor and nothing to be offended by, this is offensively inoffensive. Carbonation is high, adding a mild bit but that is no different from seltzer. Meh.

1.34/5  rDev -27.6%

This "beer" poured as clear as any I've had, with hardly any head. It looks a lot like ginger ale, and the taste was very watery...actually very little beer flavor at all. You couldn't get me to drink another of these...the target group for this brew must be people who actually don't like beer.

2.44/5  rDev +31.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.75

12 fl oz can condition light lager - overpriced $8.5 locally (6 pack)

Pours a nearly clear pale yellow that appears to be more like water compared to any beer i've seen, with no retainable head or lacing. The smell resembles a faint cracker flavour with almost no character - I am not drinking this for its flavour; remember, it's because I want to keep a 6 pack....

Upfront flavors revel mainly malt, light hops (almost undetectable), and a tremendous amount of carbonation leaving nearly no taste and a tiny bit of cereal grain left on the palate. It's not even worth the exuberant pricing the badge bring, this is pretty terrible in all honesty.

2.39/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

From the can, it pours a very very pale golden with a vigorous head, dissipating rapidly, although a continual stream of bubbles comes from the bottom. Faint aroma of adjuncts?? Taste is quite minimal, but drinkable.

2.33/5  rDev +25.9%

It looks like beer so ill give credit there.... doesnt smell like anything pleasant. the taste is water status but fuck it, its drinkable so its got that to offer!

2.06/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a very clear pale straw producing a single finger of shortlived, white, soap like foam head that leaves only a few motes of lacing. Aroma is faint adjunct grains & some grassy hops. Taste is watery cereal grain with grass & lemon in the background. Afrertaste is lightly "beery" before it fades. Mouthfeel is light bodied with moderate carbonation, slightly prickly, watery but clean & dry

2.36/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Get your water on, this one features select city water system tap water as its dominant aspect. So light and yellow you can see through it like it's one of those fish tanks at Scheel's. Aroma. Like smelling air.

Taste was barely there, lots of cool smooth water with lots of carbonation. Go looking for barley, you can find it. Its like having a beer, and cutting it with water. Mild hop noble jack stuff.

Climb a rock, shoot a commercial, post a selfie, drink this beer to let people know you let your hair down when not working out.

1.94/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Can. Drank straight from it. Boy does this one really lack anything worth noting. The aroma is so incredibly muted. Slightly sweet corn water. The flavor may somehow be even less notable. Its almost like corn seltzer water. Pretty remarkable in its lack of definitive well, anything. Water body. This one was impressive in its benignness.

1.71/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

What is there to say about this beer.
It does pour a decent pure white head that actually hangs around for sometime.
There is an odor of some distant earthy malts.
Water is very close to this. Can not imagine a beer getting any lighter or closer to the taste of water than this.

2.28/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Mich Ultra

A: Very very light pale straw yellow. Honestly probably the lightest beer I have ever seen in a glass. 2 plus fingers bright white head builds then dissipates quickly leaving essentially no lacing. 2.25

S: Subtle malt sweetness, adjuncty, not much else. 2.25

T: like the nose it's pretty much just adjunct flavors and subtle sweet malt. No hop characters to speak of 2.25

M/D: thin body, carbonation appropriate, drinks like water 2.5

O: well if you have to drink am AAL this one isn't a bad choice. Not particularly good but actually decent and no horrible off flavors like some of them. 2.25

3.8/5  rDev +105.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: crystal clear; pale straw in color; with an aggressive pour, less than a 1 finger white head that receded quickly to a thin collar; no lacing;

S: pilsner malt, a little lemon, grainy;

T: grainy up front; some corn sweetness at mid-palate; virtually no bitterness;

M: light to medium bodied; highly carbonated; crisp; lightly dry finish;

O:out of a can; much better than I expected; not a style I would choose for myself, but for what it it, it's well done;

1.99/5  rDev +7.6%

This is my first review. Iam pretty new to beer drinking. I have had alot of diff beer. Started with higher rated from this site and finally decided to try the cheap stuff.
This beer pours a very light gold color. White foam that goes away quickly. Has a fresh white bread taste and not much else.
I believe the whole point of this beer is to have a beer taste, but very light on calories and carbs. Great beer for a person that has a healthy lifestyle and watches their waistline. This beer accomplishes what it sets out to do.

2.24/5  rDev +21.1%

Had in a bottle for free...at a conference. Smelled decent enough but it's very very light and not very flavorful. Good choice for watching your waistline while still drinking...beer snobs avoid

2.26/5  rDev +22.2%

Wowee look at that rating,but in my quest to try the worlds different beers, this is inexpensive and was told it's "good". Though, it was non-beer drinkers who told me this. I mean, my mom hates beer and when she said it was pretty good for a beer, I knew it wouldn't be great. But hey, it's not THAT bad.
I poured mine into the glass that looks like a wine glass but deeper. The kind for beer. I did come in a set of beer drinking glasses. Anyway, it pours a clear-gold color and has a decent 2 finger thick foam head. (My fingers are skinny though, so it's probably not the best way to measure. The foam dissipated quickly enough, leaving the golden water beer.

My first smell of it, I thought "eh, cheap beer" but on following sniffs was noticing the grainy/malty smell to it, though faint, easily looked over, but there.

The taste? Well, for the price, I am a little disappointed, it's a couple dollars more than I think it should be for what it is. It's not bad, but it's a bit watered down. Not the most watered down of these low tier cheap lagers, but it's noticeable. I think if they didn't water it so, it could be a decently good beer.

It feels like a lightly carbonated water-beer. If it's cold on a hot summer day, this will probably do it.

That said, overall, I think this is my first "light" beer, and I'm not entirely disappointed. I expected more than what I got from what i heard it was like, but I'm not let down or feel cheated. Now, would I buy this again? No, not unless it was all that was left. Would I drink it again? Yeah, it's not insulting, nor the worst of these cheap lager beers I've had.

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch