Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Michelob UltraMichelob Ultra

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Light Lager

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Reviews: 590 | Ratings: 2,209
1.56/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Listed as an adjunct lager, but too me it's one of the low carb beers. Review alonside other low carb beers to compare to Bud Select.

Appearance: Clear, pale gold/yellow. Foamy head that was gone in a flash. No lacing, plenty of champagne-like bubbles.

Smell: Nothing natural like. Adjunct almost chemical smell, and that was only after breathing in deep.

Taste: The good news is there is little taste. The bad news is, what little taste there is it is horrible, almost an unnaturalness to it. Bad tasting water.

Mouthfeel: Thin, watery an well carbonated.

Drinkability: I'm going to have to give the others away. I had a freebie from the Bud distributor when this came out. I thought it sucked. Now I don't think it sucks, I kknow. The number one thing I had heard, and an opinion I also formed is that regular beer drinkers (and I'm not just talking BA here but BMC guy) do not like this, but the casual beer drinker (especially one up for the low carb fad) loves it. I have seen this first hand.

1.43/5  rDev -22.3%

The problem with this "beer" is that, if you have it after you've had any other sort of beer, you can't taste it. After having Stoudt's American Pale Ale, I wanted to see exactly if Mich Ultra would be ok. I didn't expect seltzer water. In a pint glass, set next to my beer, it looked like someone put a drop of gold coloring in Sprite. The taste, nonexistent.

1.5/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Ummm well, new low carb beer. Poured this into a glass, looks like what you would expect from an adjunct beer, a very light golden color, with little head, and very bubbly. The nose is well, hard to describe, maybe mineral water with some very subtle graininess. The taste is like the nose, mineral water and some slight grains. Mouthfeel very bubbly, agian like sparkling mineral water. Drinkability could theoretically be a five, but at 95 calories a bottle, I would rather drink san pellegrino mineral water. Low carb and most lite beer is garbage. Just drink one real beer instead of two of these no taste beers, and you will be consuming almost the same amount of calories. America, eat less french fries and drink more beer, real beer!!!

1.33/5  rDev -27.7%

Good grief, just drink water and save your money – NO calories or carbs that way. This carbonated seltzer water with a beer name has to be the weakest stuff I’ve ever had. Doesn’t have a *bad* taste, but should no taste, aroma, mouth feel actually count as a beer? Still, I finished it, so it’s not getting a bottom of the barrel score.

1.05/5  rDev -42.9%

A buddy of mine hosting his off-training party dared me to drink one of these, betting my "sophisticated beer palate" *his words* wouldn't allow me to finish the whole thing. This is where pride gets in the way...
Offered in a standard pint glass, MicU had to be the palest brew I laid eyes on, just water with a drop or two of yellow dye #2 diluted. A fizzy white head flared and died in an instant.
The smell was non-existent. Tried smelling tap water? Same, same. No malt, no hops, not even something 'off', just nothing. The taste actually displayed a faint husky malt and corn syrup flavor and a ghostly metallic note at the very back of my tongue. The feel was like tonic water, very light and spritzy thanks to a plethora of carbonation.
I had no problem downing this "beer". Hell, it was like drinking water and I do that all day. However, as beers go, this is simply taking advantage of those people out there fearful of carbs and lacking much beer appreciation. As for me, I came, I drank, I won't have it again. Any BA seeing me holding one in the future has my permission to beat me to a bloody pulp. I deserve it.

1.54/5  rDev -16.3%

Got some at a company event today. Decided I might as well review it.

Pale pale straw color, crystal clear. Slight head, but poor lacing. Grainy, corn-like aroma. Fairly dry, with a little graininess. No hops, almost no malt, just nothing. I'm sure it takes a high degree of brewing craft to brew a beer this tasteless. The lack of any flaws lets me give it a 1.5 instead of a 1. Thin & watery body.

Not the worst beer I've ever had, but possibly the blandest.

I hate it when our company sends completely beer-ignorant employees out to pick up drinks for an event. Last time they sent me, I came back with over $130 worth of Unibroues, Chimay, Stone Brewing, Hobgoblin, Weihenstephan, Fuller's, etc.

2.75/5  rDev +49.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance-clarity is ok, not much head, a fizziness that spews up and then dissapears fairly quickly.

Smell-a spicy aroma along with some grain, hops are actually noticable, not nearly as clean as I thought although certaintly not great

Taste-light certaintly, fuller than some others, goes down smooth, hops don't linger at all it goes down leaving nary a trace.

Mouthfeel-light without much of an aftertaste, fairly crisp, not bad at all.

Drinkability- I drink stronger beers than this, but for those that are into this they can have as many as they want.

Overall-I don't hate this nearly as much as I thought I would, not a bad choice for those just starting on beer but the market it's intended for is idiotic. You should definitley choose others over this (i.e. non-light beer) but this does carry decent quality I guess.

if any of you who are beer advocates like this beer, then you should be ashamed. so light that you can see through it, no head, no taste, no nothing. you dont even save yourself calories or whatever if you were to drink a real beer. it should be taken off of the isle forever

1.2/5  rDev -34.8%

I tried this one just out of curiosity. It was born on December 2, 2004. It poured a pale, pale yellow with a slight white head that seemed to vanish instantly. The smell is... of... um... not much, maybe some malt and a touch of hops, but that's it. The taste is very light and left a strange aftertaste that words cannot quite describe. The mouthfeel is very, very thin and a bit too carbonated. It's like drinking seltzer water. I'll make it a point to never drink this one again. It is the polar opposite of what I usually drink.

3.22/5  rDev +75%

I have to admit I didn't hate this as much as I thought I would.
Aroma is light spicy hoppy/yeasty that's typical for a light beer.
I'm not sure how mauch paler it can get. Full white fizzy head. Watery clear.
Not much flavor. Slightly acidy bite towards the end. Carbonation seems to contribute. Very short finish, but what is there has a sour quality. Balanced hops and malts.
Fullness from tons of carbonation, otherwise pert near water.
I don't hate this. Considering what it's trying to accomplish it's alright.
I got this for $.10 from a pop maching at the ranch I was staying at in the Black Hills. Nice people. Good trip.
Again scores are in comparison to style, not all beers.

1.5/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle, label as pictured.
What else can you expect: Low carb, light beer. Not a whole lot to else to say. Looks watered down yellow color, no head to speak of. Tastes watered down too. A friend knew we were trying the low carb diet and was "nice" enough to bring this back from a trip to the States, because it is way better than other low-carb beers. Thanks alot. Please get this out of my fridge - it is not beer.

I have better lacing and head retention when I pour a can of Sprite. The only differance is that I would drink the Sprite! PS, I only looked to see if this "beer" was listed because I was certain it wouldn't have been. I have to go drink a 90 Minute now and forget about the horrors I have witnessed here today.

1.4/5  rDev -23.9%

So, what is so "ultra" about this stuff... It seriously has no flavor and a lot of carbonation. I tried this beer after a long day of watching college football. I believe we all know how good that first beer after a long day in the sun watching football tastes...or at least how good it should have tasted. This one was a big dissappointment.

Not much flavor, almost as if someone had taken a bud light and poured club soda in it.

very high carbonation

not much smell or coloring...i was very dissappointed with this beer.

1.2/5  rDev -34.8%

Please remove this from Beeradvocate, as this is not a beer in the strictest sense of the term.

Since the foundation of beer is the makeup of the nonfermentable carbohydrates it contains, it makes sense that a beer void of significant carbohydrates would be light in color, low in taste, and lacking any mouthfeel whatsoever. If that is your gauge, this beer delivers. If I am watching carbs, I'd prefer to have less quantity of a good beer than any of this. I'll pass, thank you.

On the plus side, it is somewhat thirst-quenching. But then so is water.

2.67/5  rDev +45.1%

11/02/04- Purchased at the local grocery store..

Appearance- Poor head retention (next to none), same with the lacing. Very light yellow straw coloring,

Smell- Scent of corn, maybe a bit of malt. Not really much scent. Doesn't smell horrible.

Taste- Well, I was expecting the worst, but it wasn't half bad. I had these for the first time in Arizona early this year and this is about the only beer my girlfriends Grandfather had. So, we drank it and got kind of used to it. It definitely quenched my thirst. Don't get me wrong, it's not a superior beer or anywhere near that. But, it's not a bad stand by if it's all you've got. A bit of malt taste. Very light and very crisp.

Mouthfeel- Pretty heafty carbonation. Kinda like seltzer water. Crisp feeling.

Drinkability- See taste above. Better than I expected. Not much flavor though. Did the job at hand though. Quenching my thirst at 90 plus degree temperatures.

1.09/5  rDev -40.8%

Ever piss in a frosty mug? Hey...look a glass if Michelob Ultra.
(also leftover from someone else...I have more self-esteem than to buy this swill)

I just despise these ads on the radio about "rewarding yourself with a good beer after a workout." Uhh...then don't drink this crap.

Ok ok, a real review.
Appearance: Very light, pale yellow, crystal clear (there's hardly anything there) with a thin, weak foam. Ok, so some real beer may appear similar, in the right light, in the fog, if you squint...

Smell: My nearby glass of water had more aroma.

Taste: For all you beer morons...no carbs = no taste. It's that simple. There's just nothing there except that stale beer aftertaste that coated the back of my toungue on many a morn in college.

Mouthfeel: A mouthful of pop rocks would fizz less.

Drinkability: Fizz stale beer flavor water! Whoo hoo! I'll have another and a swift boot to the head please!

1.69/5  rDev -8.2%

Did not and would not pay for this beer, leftovers from a friend (girl) from a party we hosted...

The appearence I will mark at average, despite the piss golden color from the pour the medium-small white head rentained quite well, also there was a few signs of lacing with a decent effect, not a bad start... however, the smell I tried to find something and it smelled like a few kernels of corn, what a joke.

No joke, this beer has little to no taste to this, it's a litter version of Bud Light's beer flavored water. The mouthfeel wasn't good, the aftertaste was non-existant and my mouth just was not happy. The drinkability is good from a standpoint that you can drink these down easily and it's easy to drink, but that doesn;t prove to be good enough when your beer has little-to-no taste, therefore I would not have another, I will drink a locally brewed Christian Moerlein as my safety beer, same price and all...

Final Thought: I apologized to my taste buds, and I'm not joking about this!

1.48/5  rDev -19.6%

I was at my friend's house and look to see what beer they have and all they got is a case of this. What the hell I'll give it a try. The pour leaves a super light pale appearance with a medium head that goes down after a few seconds. Smell is odd and not too good. There's a corn and mud smell to it. Amazingly the taste is nothing. I don't know how they do it, water has more taste. Maybe I should give higher ratings because this is probably a good beer to the crowd A-B is making it for (people who don't like beer or flavor), but to me this sucked. I guess it was somewhat crisp and washed down my lunch but that's about it. Probably good for drinking games as well.

1.25/5  rDev -32.1%

Brewed by Anheuser-Busch. Adjunct lager. Light. Low-Carb. Any one of those is enough to give me pause. All four in the same bottle are a frightening proposition, one that I had avoided until now. When a few bottles were left over after a tailgating party prior to a football game yesterday, I couldn't resist the temptation to see what this stuff is actually like. Knowing that I'm a lover of good beer, my friend was more than a little amused when I accepted a bottle and agreed to try it. Her words were something to the effect of "I guarantee you won't like it". Gee, think so?

The very definition of straw yellow. In fact, it's *light* straw yellow. The only lighter 'beer-like beverage' (which, come to think of it, could be used for both examples) in my experience was a now forgotten brand of cider/perry. The head is shockingly bright white and is composed of semi-stiff foam. The fact that it doesn't fall instantly and leaves a little lace leads me to bump it a half point above the minimum allowable. At least we're not looking at 'ones' across the board.

Even though the nose is nearly absent, something is making its way to my olfactory lobe. I can appreciate faint grain-like notes along with an artificial, chemical-like nastiness that isn't powerful enough to truly offend. If I'm being kind, there's a suggestion of fruitiness that, nevertheless, can't pull this sucker out of the abysmal range.

Actually, it has more flavor than I expected. That doesn't mean that it's more than minimal, just that it's more than none. It's distinguishable from soda water, but only just. There's the barest suggestion of sour grain with that same artificial flavor that I appreciated in the nose. Both fade almost as soon as they appear, carried along on the wateriest 'body' that one can imagine. In fact, this beer has no body. It's non-corporeal, ghost-like, as graspable as water vapor (with which it has much in common).

The original owner of this beverage said the following when she handed over the bottle: "I don't like beer and I only drink this because it tastes less like beer than any beer I've ever had. It has to be ice-cold though or I won't touch it". That says it all, don't you think? The plain truth is that Michelob Ultra isn't beer at all, but anti-beer. For that, it deserves every bit of hostility thrown its way. And more.

Embarrassingly, I've tried this shit. What a pitiful excuse for a "beer". Low carb beer? It's worse than decaf coffee. It's worse than sugar-free candy. It's even worse than non-alcoholic beer. It's like seltzer water that got left for 20 years in a septic tank. Nasty shit. Atkins people are going to be the death of modern society.

1.57/5  rDev -14.7%

Hmmm.

Drank this because a chick bought a pitcher and the service was terrable. Next time I will wait.

It's like club soda with a twist of beer. Not much color, not much flavor. Not bite of hop.

Not really much to say about this stuff. It's pretty popular with girls...

2.37/5  rDev +28.8%

I thought I rated this one pretty fairly. Taking into consideration what kind of beer it is and toward whom it is marketed. I didn't give it lousy ratings because is didn't have a coffee like smell to it or have a caramel-like taste. I gave it lousy ratings because even considering what kind of beer it is, it's not very good. Not total crap, but you can see "total crap" from where this beer stands. This is with out question, the absolute lightest coloured beer I have ever seen in my life. It's almost clear! Like watered down ginger ale. Typical adjuct lager/old damp dish rag smell. Sorry lacing. Tasted about like someone dumped a shot glass full of MGD into a big glass of seltzer water. Very carbonated. The only reason I gave drinkability 3.0 is because you could drink gallons of this stuff, there's nothing to it.
Here's a piece of advice. If you're on the low-carb kick and you still want some kind of brew, do yourself a favour and pick up some Aspen Edge from Coors. It's still beer flavoured water, but it has alot more flavour than this stuff has.

1.48/5  rDev -19.6%

Presentation: 12 oz brown twist off bottle with a “Born On Date” on the neck. Pours an extremely pale yellow color. Very clear, little carbonation. The only saving grace was the tall head, though it disappeared within a minute. Aroma seems typical of an adjunct, a corn-type smell to it, but it smells almost stale.

Very little flavor to it at all. I'd say there's a bit of a hop flavor in the background, but nothing discernable. Feels watery and thin, though crisp. Feels almost like a sparkling water.

While this beer would be extremely drinkable by the sheer fact that it would do down like water, I couldn't see being able to drink this often, or more than in a setting anyway, if that. And, yes, this beer was proof that my favorite kind of beer is free and cold.

1.35/5  rDev -26.6%

This might be the worst beer I have ever had. There is no taste or mouthfeel. This is a beer that was created by a marketing company. I hate this mouthful of shait.

Here's the premise: If you are active --carbs are making you fat !!Beer has lots of carbs ! Drink this low carb beer and it fits in perfectly with your active lifestyle and you will stay thin and beautiful--like you think you are now.

Here are some characteristics -- carbonated, watery crap flavored like bad beer.

1.55/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours like a typical pilsner but lighter. Reminds me of piss after I have put down a few juggs of water. Slight color, lots of carbonation. I guess they took out carbs and added water and carbonation in its place. Imagine Keystone Light mixed 50/50 with water without the aluminum can taste. If you can imagine that, you hit this beer right on. Who would pay for this? I'd rather drink half of any other beer than drink a full one of this if I was truely in it for watching my carb intake. Does anybody else realize that alcohol is one of the simplest sugars...worse on you than sugar. Hmm, don't ever buy this, or even drink it when offered. I once had this on ice...yes poured over ice, horrid.

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch