Michelob Ultra | Anheuser-Busch

Michelob UltraMichelob Ultra

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Light Lager

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Reviews: 592 | Ratings: 2,218
1.1/5  rDev -40.2%

Do I even need to say anything? Well I have to have two hundred fifty characters, so I guess I will. In all seriousness, this is made for a female to look good in the bar with. A trendy, I'm drinking a beer like the guys kinda thing. Not saying women don't drink beer, but most usally have this kind of thing in hand.

1.06/5  rDev -42.4%

Since 1986 I have had Michelob Light on tap at home. Up until December 2003 when I got on a Guiness kick I wouldn't go to a bar or eatery that didn't serve Mick Light. While on the Guiness wagon a friend suggested I try a Rogue Shakespere stout. It took a half and hour for me to get it down. My taste buds were in shock. Too many years of Clydesdale urine I guess. That was then. Now, nine months and 350+ beers later, along with a trip to Belgium, I can't beleive that I was brainwashed by the billion dollar ad campaign as mentioned on the back of an Arrogant Bastard ale.
I was at a party and was given a 'beer'. To say it was horrible would be a compliment. After asking, I was told that I had a Michelob Ultra. "Pretty good, huh?" , the guy said as he served up another to some poor brainwashed soul. My taste buds were in shock again. Thank God I have good gag reflexes too.
Ultra can't be a beer. It's fizzy something, but I don't know what. There is no malt, no hop, no taste. I'm thinking that there's water in it, that's why it's wet, but I can't say if the water is potable because I could only take a few sips and felt my body going into full regection mode. I left the party saying I had other commitments and proceeded home to a Rochefort 10. God bless the monks.
After the Ultra experience I've come to two conclusions.
1. The mentality of society has got to be regressing. What could possibly be the only other reason someone would buy this ' yellow fizzy whatever'.
2. A billion dollar ad campaign really does work. A couple of frogs talking to each other. A herd of horses playing football. The next thing you know Ultra is the next best thing since sliced bread. PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS!!!
Here's my plan. I shit on the roof of my car and then buff it all over the damn thing. If anyone asks, I tell them it's Shine-ola and I'm the only supplier. If all goes as planned, two months later I'm rich. Ya gotta love stupid people. Anheuser and Busch do.

2.7/5  rDev +46.7%

Presentation:
12 oz. brown long-neck twist-off bottle.
Born on date: 11FEB09 (Freshest Taste Within 110 Days).
Poured into an American pint glass.

Visual:
Pours pretty fizzy into an extremely pale gold body with a white head that-... wait. Where'd the head go?

Aroma:
Not much to say other than soft grains in the weak malt. No noticeable hop presence. A light crispness takes the nose at the end that is reminiscent of fresh crushed apples.

Taste:
Extremely light. Selzter/carbonated water flavors are followed up by light pale malts. Watered down grain in the end with a faint apple crispness. Fizzy, but not extremely effervescent. A smooth, almost watery mouthfeel matches the extreme lightness.

Overall:
This is definitely an extremely light beer. I'm not a huge fan of light beers in general, but I'm okay with this one. It makes for a great beer to just sip and not think about when chilling and talking with friends (at BBQ's, picnics, etc.).
The only reason I would give this beer lower ratings, is simply because I've tasted better beers - not because there is anything "wrong" or "bad" about Michelob Ultra. It is not complex, rich, or special in any way. It is just simple and light. It is as "drinkable" as it's leading competitors (Bud Light, Miller, etc.).
This style reminds me of a lighter Thai/Indian lager, and would probably be best paired with savory and spicier dishes such as curry, Indian and/or Thai cuisine.

Cheers!

2.1/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

First, I should say that I'm an aspiring beer snob who has been forced to go on a low-carbohydrate diet. I had been drinking Coors Light and Miller Light, but could not pass up the 2.6 carbs offered by Michelob Ultra. Michelob Ultra is by no means a craft beer. Heck, it has trouble stacking up to most national brews. But the main reason I judged this beer so low is because it's lacking in just about every department. It poors a faint yellow, with a short-lived head. The bouquet is pretty much non-existent (smells like a dried empty beer bottle). The taste is faint, but drinks easily.

I had hoped that Michelob Ultra would be the brew that I could use to introduce my wife to beer. But, after gagging on half a sip, she commented that it "tasted like her parents' bar used to smell". I suppose that if the daughter of former bar-owners doesn't like beer by mid-life, chances are she never will.

It took me a long time to admit publicly that I like the BeeGees. Admitting to buying and drinking Michelob Ultra is just as difficult for me. But I will continue, until Sam Adams comes out with a 2.6 carb beer (hopefully better than their current light offering).

1.34/5  rDev -27.2%

Very poor. Very very very poor. Has this in a pitcher via tap and all I can say is that I think it was water, not beer. Thats what I get for trying something new.

Little head or retention for that part. The only thing I can same about this is that it did feel crisp, thats why I gave a 2 for mouthfeel. Not bitter, but then again not much of anything. This is as light as it gets. For someone that wants to drink beer with their friends but is watching their weight, and does not not beer much anyways, this is the beer for you. light as it gets. Nothing more, nothing less. Gives you bloatedness while tasting like water.

1.3/5  rDev -29.3%

Pour- What in the hell is going on! NO HEAD at all! Little carbonation bubbles, like I poured yellow 7up.

Smell- Has a feint smell of Bud Light. Nothing to the nose really at all.

Taste- Rice,corn uh-nothing else

Mouthfeel- A joke, I think I just drank water.

Drinkability- Low carb? Come on! Is this what we've reduced ourselves to. Macro-Beer was already reduced down in flavor and calories a hundred times before this drink came around. America Macros supposedly made good beer before WW2 and then they marketed after the women, so what does that tell you?(No offense to any women on this site that like good beer)

2.7/5  rDev +46.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I am kinda surprised by the overall F here. It is nowhere near as bad as Busch, Coors Light and Natty light and it is MUCH better. It actually tastes like it has some malt and hops in it.

Not much, but some. In my opinion it is one of the better mass prodcued beers.

1.36/5  rDev -26.1%

I had the choice of this or Corona Light at a recent cook-out. I guess I made the wrong choice. I drank it from the bottle so I can't say anything about how it looked. But my other senses told me enough. This is crap. The only taste I could make out was a metallic chloriney tinge - Chemical soup. This is a beer for people who don't like beer. Why bother ?

1.8/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance- Watery.

Smell- Adjunct grains and an alcohol smell dominate. There are almost no hops to speak of in this beer.

Taste- This is one of the worst beers I've ever tasted. Not only that, but its one of the worst "light" beers, as well.

Mouthfeel/drinkability- light body and decent carbonation however the aftertaste and taste in general make this beer nearly undrinkable.

3.25/5  rDev +76.6%

Not Bad

This is what you drink when you've been drinking so much beer that your belly is starting to show it. It's also relatively inexpensive. It's not fantastic. You're not going to sing alabanzas. But it's not bad for a light beer.

1.66/5  rDev -9.8%

Wow, I can't believe I drank this. At least I didn't pay for it. A guy I know brought it to our New Years Eve party. Yes I know that was days ago, I just couldn't bring myself to review this. Partly shame, partly that I want to forget the experience. Poured a very clear, very light yellowish color. Like someone put a drop or two of yellow food coloring in water. Those of you who couldn't smell this, be glad, the smell was horrid. Smelled like rotten egg. Very very gross. Made me want to put it back in search of something that I could stomach. Thankfully it didn't taste like it smelled. To be honest it tasted fairly close to Bud Light. Like a watered down rice beer. No hops to speak of. Light in the mouth. No bite. Just like drinking water as far as the mouthfeel went. Drinkability? They wish. I'll never drink this again. It took me a few hours to get over the smell of it. I suppose if you're on the Adkins diet and you are adamant that the beer is what caused the gut, then this could be the beer for you, however, as I observed, this is not the beer for me. I went right back to the Bully! Porter I brought and tried to drown my tastebuds in something they'd enjoy. I also appologized to them for hours.

1.12/5  rDev -39.1%

Resorted to this at a Holiday party when all the decent beer was gone. It was in a big galvanized tub of ice and was exceedingly cold which was probably a blessing. I drink macro-swill so infrequently that I am truly shocked when I encounter one. This beer comes from a marketing company that pretends that it makes beer. No color, no head, no mouthfeel, no taste....no point to it at all. Avoid it at all cost...even if it's free.

2.05/5  rDev +11.4%

My Wife bught me a 12 pack, with the idea this would be a good beer to drink while trying to cut carbs. You know, the Atkins thing. Anyway probably good while on that diet, but for a lover of full bodied, hopped, micros and home brews, this one tasted like carbonated water. I really had to try to get some flavor here. I could do the same thing by putting a tablespoon of homebrew in an empty bottle, and fill it up with water, carbonate it, and there you go. Lots cheaper too.

1.25/5  rDev -32.1%

This beer is like sex in a canoe-it's fu**ing near water. Pours a pale, pale yellow, (almost clear) with little to no head. I have had bottled water with more taste than this garbage. No smell to speak of, mouthfeel is non existent. I can only give a higher mark for drinkability simply because the stuff goes down so easy, but so does water. Ultra is a fitting name for this beer, it ultra SUCKS.

1.1/5  rDev -40.2%

Had the misfourtune of tasting this swill. A light beer drinking friend offered me a bottle, and not being one to turn away free beer regardless of how bad it is I agreed. Wish I never agreed! One word comes to mind when consuming this "beer" water! No head to speak of, no hop presence not anything! While this beer deserved ones across the board I gave it's drinkability a 1.5 simply because I can see how these could be drank rather quickly. Something that might appeal to the college crowd, or to someone looking for a quick buzz.

1.1/5  rDev -40.2%

I never thought you could put dog piss in a bottle, but AB managed to do it. But then, they are the only company big enough with their massive marketing budget to actually pull off sales of this swill. Does Augie III actually taste this shit before it goes out? I know his Dad used to.

The last time I saw something this color was in the urinal. Not much to the pour with corn in the nose. Taste was watered-down to get to be "Ultra". This beer gives the Michelob Premium brand a bad name...if it's possible. I'd rather drink water and this was my first and last Ultra....and it gave me a headache to boot. Thanks, Augie.

2.8/5  rDev +52.2%

Very light beer, with the attitude of a very light beer. There is very little smell, taste, feel or appearance to this beer, but thats what its for. It pours light yellow, with a slight malt smell. Tastes very watery and very plain with very little alcohol. Plus side is that if your looking for a beer with little kick, some alcohol, but fewer cards and calories, this beer has it.

2.5/5  rDev +35.9%

Not much to say. This alleged "beer" is slightly more tasteful than a Coors Light, or a glass of water (aren't they the same thing?)

I agree with another reviewer: it's a great beer for your girlfriend, or for a night of Poker where you want to knock back a few and not really get too filled up.

honestly I'd rather drink Rolling Rock in that situation, but if your local store doesn't support Old LaTrobe then this is the one to buy.

faced with this choice in a cooler at a block party this summer I gladly chose the Michelob Ultra:

Heineken, Bud, Bud Light, Bud Select, and Michelob Ultra.

1.45/5  rDev -21.2%

Was at a graduation party last year for a neighbor and this was the beer one of the hosts brought back with him. It's taken me this long to review it because, honestly, I forgot I even had it because it was so unmemorable.

The smell is almost non-existent and the taste is so thin that you would almost swear you're drinking iron-filled water. I swear, Bud Light is hoppier than this. You can barely tell that it is a beer, by which there is no feel of alcohol whatsoever. The only reason the taste did not get a 1 is because it is not as horrific as Michelob Light.

The drinkability is moderate just because it is so weak, you can knock a few of these back like bottles of water. You will probably get the same buzz, as well.

Honestly, what is the point? This beer was probably created so businessmen could drink during their lunch break and leave no smell of alcohol.

Leave it.

3.55/5  rDev +92.9%

Saw this in a local pub and just had to try it. Pours the lightest I have seen in recent memory, this beer is so pale it looks like it needs a warm dose of chicken soup and some serious bed rest. Spritzy and effervescent, head does not stick around but I would not expect it to.

Low aroma of pilsener malt and cooked corn, similar in flavour with a very low bitterness level; carbonic bite counteracts whatever malt sweetness there is more than hops do. I fancy there's a trickle of spicy hop as the beer warms up but I am not entirely sure. Very light body reflects the pale colour.

I give them big points for producing what they intend and getting it all the way down under with negligible loss in quality. It's clean and wet, not much else to it but importantly to me there are not any faults other than perhaps too fizzy.

1.13/5  rDev -38.6%

Why would anyone drink this sorry excuse for a beer? Oh, because it's "low carb." Well, I'd rather be a few pounds heavier and enjoy good beer than drink this garbage.

appearance - a very light golden

smell - not much of one

taste - almost non-existant. I've tasted better NA beers.

mouthfeel - watery as all get out with mild carbonation.

drinkability - I couyldn't even finish one of these.

3.08/5  rDev +67.4%

My favorite light beer by a nose...! =)

A: Very clear yellow in color. It looks very diluted, and there isnt much head to speak of. It left no lacing on the glass as I drank it.

S: Not good. I cant describe why, but I just dont like it.

T: This is the only area where this beer shines. It tastes like a beer (mind you a very light one), but a good one. Not bad at all.

M: Forget about it. Water is more filling in your mouth than this is.

D: Good, because it almost like beer flavored water.

Don't get me wrong-I like this brew, but it has few redeeming qualities, and as the reviews show, most if not all agree.

2.48/5  rDev +34.8%

Quick Version:
Ultra light and flavorless. No skunkiness. For people who don't like beer.

Details:
I think it's important when rating this 'beer' to at least try to keep in mind the context of the audience AB is trying to reach.

This product is really for designated drivers and people who don't like beer but want to look fashionable holding a brown beer bottle in various social settings.

Let's face it, people don't drink it to get a buzz and they certainly don't drink it for the beer flavor.

In this context they hit it out of the park. It's pretty much an A+. Fancy looking bottle, low calorie, no flavor, no buzz. Good for business too because they sell it by the boxcar load and don't have to really put any ingredients in it other than water, carbonation, and a smidgeon of yellow food coloring. What a business model!

Now, from the perspective of someone who doesn't fit into this category of beer drinker, I'd feel a bit ripped off if I didn't already know what I was getting into (actually left over from my mom's last visit).

I know now why the call it "ultra". It stands for ultra-pale, ultra-aromaless, and ultra-flavorless. I also know why they advertise so heavily in Runners World and sponsor a series of running races across America. They could literally hydrate marathoners at every mile marker with it.

It poured clean and crisp for sure. Lots of snow white foamy bubbles. About a 1/2" or so that faded to flat before the bottle hit the table. Bubbles were perky throughout the rest of the review.

Color is ultra pale, almost transparent, yellow. Very much like a well hydrated person's urine. Bubbly carbonation is a bit refreshing.
No hop aroma. Closest thing I could come up with to describe it is a faint dishwater lemon/lime smell. Like a lemon Palmolive maybe.

Wateriest, least flavorful beer I've ever tasted.
Lack of skunk flavor and smell was a plus (which we all know is pretty much expected in this genre) and gave it a boost in my ratings. Feeble finish. Maybe a non-salty pretzel aftertaste with some carbide drillbit shavings in it. Definitely taste a little metal.

p.s. Where's the malt? Is there ANY in here?

I'd tank this beer lower if I didn't see it for what it is. In its own right it's what it needs to be. However, I just can't look myself in the mirror and give this dog anything higher than a D...

1.72/5  rDev -6.5%

Talk about a light beer every thing about this says light,light,light.

Looks like water , tastes like water , the only thing like a beer is some aroma and I mean very little.

Tried this just to try, would never order this again. Something my wife sister might drink , she hates beer.

2.62/5  rDev +42.4%

Pours VERY pale. Paler even than ginger ale. About 1/4 inch of head that lasts a couple seconds. No lacing.

Smell is on par with carbon monoxide or air. That is to say, none.

Taste is bland, but not entirely flavorless. Sweet, but no bitterness to speak of.

Has the mouthfeel of soda.

Drinkability is the highlight here. Could easily down a 12 of these.

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch