Michelob Ultra | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Light Lager

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,443 |  Reviews: 640
1.64/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured a clear... ummm... Aroma was of umm.... taste was... ahh...

There's not much I can say about this "beer", as there was not much of anything present besides carbonation. Tasted like someone mixed 3 parts seltzer and 1 part Bud Light. Maybe they should have put it in a green bottle and called it Heineken Ultra. At least I could talk about the skunky flavor. For purposes of a review, I can't say the smell and taste were awful and give them 1's because they weren't awful, they were non-existent.

1.16/5  rDev -38.9%

This brew poured a large head of fine white bubbles and a weak watery urine yellow colored body. It has a very mild hop aroma, good lacing and a watery and thin rice beer flavor. No thanks, glad to get this one rated and off my list. This brew was a drain pour. Never again!

1.73/5  rDev -8.9%

ok, so i compete in muay thai which means i really have to watch my weight. so i cant always enjoy that high alcohol stout or porter. sometimes you have to take one for the team, so i figured id try this. low calories and really low carbs, whoopdie doo. i didnt pour it out, i figured it wouldnt be impressive and would just be a waste of a glass. basically this stuff taste like seltzer water. its fizzy and has really no flavor at all. i mean, it dosnt even taste like a light beer. i cant describe it, because there isnt anything there. maybe ill just stick to good beer and do more sit ups. blah.

1.28/5  rDev -32.6%

someone had these on a recent camping trip, and i couldn't resist trying it. pours a very fizzy clear, clear yellow with an instantaneously disappearing head. no aroma to speak of. taste is watery corn-beer, like someone took a coors light and cut it with club soda. palatable if ice cold, forget it if it gets above 40 degrees. i can't even imagine people who like light beer liking this crap. what an f'n disgrace.

1.62/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Let's start by saying something positive. There's a Born on Date. This is the palest beer I have ever seen. Sort of what I peed after a day at the AOBF. An overly carbonated head fizzes up, fades and leaves a thin coating on top. The faint aroma of malt was barely discernable from a box of Rice Crispies and even that trace of smell faded into nothingness. There's a very mild citrus hop flavor and this taste can be conjured up by furiously smacking your tongue on the roof of your mouth several times (don't do this in public). An irksome seltzery fizz lasts almost throughout the glass. At 95 calories Ultra must be the choice of hip anorexics.
Edit: I had to lower the drinkability factor by a point. This this crap not be drunk!

1.25/5  rDev -34.2%

This wasn't the worst beer I've ever had because it isn't a beer. What? not a beer? But it has all the esential beer ingredients, like water, carbonation, and a bottle with a label.

The beer poored a wonderful color between the ground and the sky in kid's pictures. The smell? I never caught the smell. My olfactory glands aren't sensetive enough. What's left? Taste? It tasted like seltzer mixed with light beer. At least its better than seltzer though.

Why was I drinking this? My uncle insisted. I think I finished the bottle because it was empty, but my stomach didn't believe it.

1.35/5  rDev -28.9%

Very, very pale yellow with way too many bubbles. White head initally but this is a memory after the pour. Slight musty nose. Watery slightly sour musty malt taste. Tastes like overcarbonated light beer that has been filtered through a dirty old sock!

1.41/5  rDev -25.8%

I decided to give this a try at a work get together where I wouldn't be stuck buying a whole six pack of the stuff. It poured a very pale straw color and formed a white foamy head that left trace lace as it quickly subsided. A small amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of grain with an almost chemical aspect to it. A flavor of grain. The finish is just too tart/bitter/etc. to really recommend this beer at all.

2.88/5  rDev +51.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours an absolutely crystal-clear, and exceptionally-pale straw colored body. Streams of standard-sized, fast-rising bubbles are quite noticeable and help to support it's good-sized, foamy, bright-white head. Its retention is surprisingly good and it leaves a very nice ring of lace at the outset, and then some decent lace throughout the glass. The aroma leaves something to be desired with a thin huskiness that detracts from it's very lightly grainy malt note. The body is light; and the creamy head lends a bit of softness to the crisp and effervescent carbonation that follows. As it releases it's gas it becomes even softer, and somewhat creamy in the mouth; but it's a trade-off because the carbonation actually helps to enhance the flavor that's there. The flavor is limited, but what else could be expected of a beer that's labelled as a "low carbohydrate light beer". There's some thin grainy malt present, and it's surprisingly well-balanced by a subtle interwoven bitterness, yet it seems lacking. It finishes almost without notice. Still, it's clean and refreshing. It might make a good beer at an outdoor sporting event in the summer, but other than that I don't think it has enough character to keep it interesting throughout even one bottle.

1.35/5  rDev -28.9%

Looks like a fresh piss sitting in the toilet. It is slightly yellow with a few bubbles on top. I will say that the toilet bubbles hold better than the head on this one. Aroma? Well. if you really work at it, you may pickup some bread, and that is all.

Taste. Let's see. You know if you throw about an eighth of the required mix into an iced tea or lemonade and it tastes like funny water. That is what Ultra is. Ultra low watery flavor. A bit of grain, no hops, really no flavor. Much less flavor than flavored vitamin waters. For that reason, I can not give it good drinkability because it does not even strike me as a beer. It is not drinkable as far as flavored water goes. Wow, I can not believe people buy this stuff so much.

1.55/5  rDev -18.4%

Settled in at the tap corner of the local Cold Cheeseburgers and Bad Beer bar for a burger and a beer. So what tap pull is right beside my left arm? Mic Ultra. Happy hour discounts. Gotta try it, right? Big mistake. This is bad branding at its best. The Ultra label has got to mean something special, but not in this case. Ultra pale with almost no color whatsoever. No real aroma. No taste - which is a good thing considering that it's an A-B. No head. No lace. This is just Ultra bad.

1.08/5  rDev -43.2%

What the??? Is this really beer? I thought it was beer flavored water. I'd much rather drink water flavored water than waste my time on this "beer." Beers like this take the fun out of drinking. I drink beer because I like beer, not because I want to get drunk. This is not a beer made for people who like beer. Again: Yuck!

1.6/5  rDev -15.8%

Package: 12 oz. brown glass twist-off bottle. Predominantly white and blue label. “Born-on” date not noted.

Cost: Consumed at a party, but runs ~$4.99 around here

Presentation: Selected from an ice-chest and poured into a water glass.

Appearance: Vigorous pour resulted in a small, white, short-lived head. Palest straw, crystal-clear body. One of the lightest colored beers I’ve seen.

Smell: Almost no aroma whatsoever, perhaps due to its being ice-cold; but as it warmed, nothing developed.

Taste: Like the aroma, nothing but cold, carbonated liquid registers. As it warmed, the predominant taste was of boiled, frozen corn (actually boiled vegetables in general), with a vague sweetness and a bit of a metallic, bitter edge. Surprising for a bottle! No body or finish.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated, rough, mouthfeel, which is only somewhat ameliorated by the icy-coldness.

Drinkability: For people who want to know how one might rate this category, here goes my logic. I can’t see a circumstance (other than curiosity, which provoked this review) why one would drink this. If you want low carbs, drink dry table wine or water; if you want to get drunk, any other (cheaper) beer would do; if you want mineral water, drink Pellegrino. I don’t think drinkability refers to how many one can have in one sitting, or how easily it is consumed, but to what degree one would want to drink a beer within certain parameters or beer type. I would only consume this again under duress. Within these guidelines, this is a 1 (if not a 0).

I went to a housewarming party that offered this and Jersey Gold (had some of that as well) for beer selections, so I had to try it. This is the answer to a question, no one really asked, despite its low-carb credentials. Although it doesn’t present any really off tastes, it is not pleasant. Those who compare it to seltzer or mineral water are totally off. Mineral waters offer a wide range of complexity as well, with some having distinct, clean, refreshing tastes. I would much rather have a Pellegrino, Lanjaron, or Panna than this beer. If you want to cut carbs and have some alcohol, make a spritzer. If you want to drink beer, drink something else.

Bottom Line: Not the worst beer I’ve ever had (that remains Koch’s Golden Anniversary), but why drink it?

1.27/5  rDev -33.2%

clear, pale, pale, pale yellow....thin foamy head. hints of lace. hints of adjuncts in the aroma. tastes of...um...nothing. seltzer water body. mineral water soul. there is some slight graininess to give it a ghostly like "light beeriness". crisp and clean. it's drinkable, but why would you want to drink this "beer" again? i swear i will NEVER drink this again as long as i live. worse than i expected...a shameful concoction.

1.84/5  rDev -3.2%

Good Lord, who's idea was this? Michelob light is decent, but this...damn. There is no color, no flavor, no head, no good. I can't believe that this beer is actually being touted as "Keeping the Flavor". I try to find some good in all the beers I review, but this one is impossible. Skip it, and if you ARE trying to keep the calories and carbs down, go for Miller Lite, as it's nearly the same levels, cheaper, and tastes better.

1.68/5  rDev -11.6%

"Lose the carbs. Not the taste." What taste? Michelob Ultra has practically no taste except for its finish. Color is an extremely pale yellow with a thin white head. Aroma barely exists, except for some malt and alcohol. Extremely thin and watered-down mouthfeel. The taste was kind of like seltzer with the slightest malt flavor in the finish. Despite the low carbs, if I had to resort to a Lite beer I'd rather have Sam Adams Light. Even Miller Lite tastes better than this and that's not saying much. A boring and bland "Diet-Beer" that will initially sell as people are sucked into the hype of drinking a "healthy" alcoholic beverage.

1.67/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I've got nothing new to add to what's been said already. The only reason I didn't give it lower scores on taste and smell is because that it contains nothing patently offensive. It's just bland, tasteless, and odorless for the most part. It got a slightly higher drinkability score because (go figure) it goes down like water. I can't imagine that anyone who spends much time on this site will find this product worth his or her time.

1.56/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Incredibly pale golden color, strongly resembles seltzer water; quite lively carbonation with a decent snow-white head, good broken lace. Aroma is quite clean, perhaps because there is almost nothing there, just some faint malt. Taste begins with a little sting of carbonation and a washed out corn grits flavor, even that disappears quickly. There is perhaps a ghost of hop bitterness at the finish. A remarkably insubstantial beer.

1.7/5  rDev -10.5%

Michelob Ultra can best be described as watered down Michelob Light, which is in turn watered down Michelob. They all share the base flavor, which is something, considering that other lite beers often share no taste in common with their regular versions (e.g., Bud Light and Bud). Michelob Ultra pours to give one of the lightest golden beers I have ever seen; it hardly looks like beer. There is a faint aroma of malt. The taste is extremely thin: imagine a glass of club soda with a shot of beer added. There is almost no hop taste. The mouthfeel is extremely thin, not bad, but just like water. The drinkability is minimal (there is not a horrible taste, but just an almost complete lack of reason to want to drink this beer).

1.32/5  rDev -30.5%

Michelobe Ultra.....

I heard it taste like water
I knew it only had a few less cals than Lite
I knew it only had a few less carbs than Lite
I knew it wasn't going to be worth 8.99

but.........I was sold. I sold out.

Yes they sucked me in.

Those hot bodies on the commercials along with new years resolutions and the next thing you know I'm walking out of Krogers with a 12 pack.

It does not taste like water. It tastes like Perie. SPARKLING WATER!

It doesn't really even taste at all like BEER. NOT EVEN A HINT.

What was I thinking??????

I had to try it didn't I???

Is something wrong with me???

Am I normal???

Somebody HELP ME!

2.23/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I tasted this beer twice,once in a power outage and once with power. I think that I liked it better with out the lights. I do have to admit it is a lot better than Coors Light.

Crystal clear pale yellow with alomost no head. Not much for aroma and the taste was barely there. But if you are looking for a beer to pound for a party this could be what you are looking for.

There is a reason why 1.0 on our score here equals awful. This beer offers almost nothing that I can constructively critique. There is no aroma whatsoever, aside from some remnants of fermentation I suppose. However, there is some hint of flavor at the very onset of the sip. But that quickly dissippates into a bitter and bordering on nasty taste. That is not even including the after-taste. I know beer makers have to try to remain on the cutting edge, but the only thing that is being cut, after drinking this brew, is wind.

1.5/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The local beer store had singles of this beer sitting in a cooler near the cash-register. Curiosity grabbed me, and I bought one.
I knew not to expect much, but this isn't even what I call a beer.
Virtually no head; faint, dilute yellow color; zero aroma; almost no taste (possibly hints of cooked veggies); no hops. Curiosity let me down.

Pale light yellow color, fizzy white head, not much aroma(chemical), like seltzer water, clean but no flavor, sad AB has to resort to this, I guess this one is for Ultra fitness freaks that shave their chest. I gave this one the lowest rating, I would much rather drink water, it really sucks.

1.12/5  rDev -41.1%

Resorted to this at a Holiday party when all the decent beer was gone. It was in a big galvanized tub of ice and was exceedingly cold which was probably a blessing. I drink macro-swill so infrequently that I am truly shocked when I encounter one. This beer comes from a marketing company that pretends that it makes beer. No color, no head, no mouthfeel, no taste....no point to it at all. Avoid it at all cost...even if it's free.

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch