Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Michelob UltraMichelob Ultra

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Light Lager

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Reviews: 590 | Ratings: 2,210
1.6/5  rDev -13%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Clear pale straw with a fizzy, white, soda-like, rapidly-diminishing head. Smells of weak grain, light doughy yeast and light metal. The taste is so mild it’s ridiculous, but it’s not offensive. It has a thin body, watery, soda-like texture and very lively carbonation. Sure, it’s refreshing I guess, but so is water. A why-bother kind of beer.

2.2/5  rDev +19.6%

A- Looks like yellow tinged water with bubbles, there was a thin white head that disappeared within seconds.
S- Mild malts, but other than that almost no scent.
T- Slightly malty body, with a light crispness at the finish...there really was not much more to detect.
M/D- This beer was very light(hence how it is marketed), almost water like in body with high carbonation. I could see how you might drink this on a hot day to cool down, but not too much for the pure enjoyment factor.

1.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured clear - slight yellowish with a thin white head.
It lacked a real smell. Some preservative-something-or-other was in the background. So, it did have a slight odor - but nothing beer-like.
It tasted like water - bad water at that. Very weak.
The only good part is you can drink a good beer afterwards because it didn't leave an aftertaste that would interfere.
A neighbor offered to split one with me and against my better judgement I took her up on it.

Why bother with this one...

1.2/5  rDev -34.8%

It pours a weak straw yellow, crystal clear and carbonated. A couple fingers of bright white, artifically frothy head swell capably, but drop away to mere nothingness.

The aroma is remarkably thin, which may just be a blessing in disguise, because what's there is corn, grass, and some other vague, off vegetal note.

Upon sipping, I wondered why I bothered. The corn sweetness comes through instantly, and in another blessed quirk, progresses very quickly to a dull, metallic, lightly skunky hops bitterness. The finish is a rapid declination from bitter to bad aftertaste. The words that spring to mind are bad and thin, not a good pair when talking about flavor, or ever, with beer anyway.

Beer...water...beer....water...the fact that only the carbonation laid claim to making it beer says it all.

First, in my defense, I went to a party, and it was this, Coors Light, or Shop Rite root beer. Since I was feeling daring and masochistic, I chose the Mich. Now, I won't be going to any more parties at this house, for the obvious reason, but at least now I can say I've tried this painfully misguided, trend-following concoction. The thing is, what makes it so lame helps make it drinkable, and that's the lack of any real substance. Still, the question is not whether I CAN drink it, but rather, whether I WILL drink it.
In a word, no. Not again, anyway.

1.29/5  rDev -29.9%

Appearnace: This beer pours a very light yellowish hue,almost clear. The head is a bright white color that stacks up as high as you want to coax the liquid from the bottle,and then maintains a thin layer on top. Lots of beading can be found floating to the top.

Smell: The aromas were pure corn adjucts with a hint of grassy hops. Seemed to be borderline skunkish and pines.

Taste: A weak grassy hops and an even lighter corn husk. This concludes the taste. Basicly its a weak beer flavored water.

Mouthfeel: The feel was smooth crisp easy to drink. Medium level of carbonation with a light body. Watery in the finish.

Drinkability: I wouldn't recommend this. It just doesn't have any good characteristics. This is actually worse than Bud light.

Cheers2Beers

1.1/5  rDev -40.2%

I never thought you could put dog piss in a bottle, but AB managed to do it. But then, they are the only company big enough with their massive marketing budget to actually pull off sales of this swill. Does Augie III actually taste this shit before it goes out? I know his Dad used to.

The last time I saw something this color was in the urinal. Not much to the pour with corn in the nose. Taste was watered-down to get to be "Ultra". This beer gives the Michelob Premium brand a bad name...if it's possible. I'd rather drink water and this was my first and last Ultra....and it gave me a headache to boot. Thanks, Augie.

2.17/5  rDev +17.9%

Michelob Ultra came served on tap in a pint glass, it was a typical macro yellow with no head. Smells and tastes like corn. It's just not very good. Drinkable at ice cold temperatures, preferably on a hot day. In other words, lawnmower beer. Not recommended.

1.16/5  rDev -37%

This “beer” came a weak, pale straw with a nice field of bubbles, but no head. “Could be an omen!”

Smelled faintly like wax and corn chips.

Tasted like dirty yeast and sour. Is sour a flavor? It is now. There was amazingly a chemical bitterness in the end that I suspect is trying to mimic hops. Thank goodness these flavors were so slight. Seriously, I just got a mild dry-heave re-reading my notes and entering this one. That just about says it all for this one.

The mouth feel was very light, nearly non-existent with a strange greasy feel to it. Also, the carbonation just erupted upon sipping, making this an unpleasant feeling beer.

WTF?!?!?! This is a good working definition of what a beer shouldn’t be. But think of how many calories I saved!

This is the worst beer of all time. Avoid if possible!! No hops, all water, no flavor. Makes you wanna vomit. Michelob dry was good, and not available any longer, this watered down mess is the residual of carb nutheads gone wild! Not recommended whatsoever!

1.93/5  rDev +4.9%

The color of this beer was very light and had a very light aroma that smelled faintly of malt and adjuncts. The taste wasn't very much of anything to be honest and was nothing more than crisp. The mouthfeel was like carbonated water and was of a medium/high carbonation. I'm not trying to be hard on this beer, but it's hard to consider a beer drinkable when there isn't much taste to it. If you are that concerned about calories, than just drink water. In summary, irregardless of personal biases, I felt that this beer was less than impressive when it comes to taste and quality.

My dad had this for a while because my mom made him drink it due to the low amount of carbs.
This is water. There is no color to it, there is no aroma, there is nothing. It's called ULTRA LIGHT for a reason. There is an ULTRA LOW amount of beer quality in this beer. If you want a low carb beer go for miller lite.

1.03/5  rDev -44%

Alright now I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel. Was at a gathering the other night, and there were cans of this 'beer.' I just had to try it to see if it could possibly be anywhere near as bad as BA's make it sound. All I can say is that most people on this site are actually overrating this beer. Here's what I could produce for a review on this substance:

A- Clear, somewhat yellow. Can you say water?
S- Some corn, but not much. Smells like the end of a Friday night at some rundown frat house on campus.
T- Well there is some corn....and, um...water....
MF- Fizzy water. There is absolutely no substance to this beer.
D- Well it's drinkable in the way that water is drinkable. Seriously I could get away with drinking this while I was working out. Perhaps hydration is the one value to gain from Mich Ultra. This is seriously the worst beer I've ever had in my life. I can't even think of what is second on that list now, its memory has been clouded by this beverage.

1.67/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured perhaps the palest pale , very clear , with bubbles quickly rising but no head. Smell is very clean , some light corn and adjunct aroma , not much , bit of grain. Taste is crisp , carbonated , extremely light , and clean. Not much flavors to describe really. Mouthfeel is bubbly and crisp. A drinkable beer , its just that i don't want to drink it , if that makes sense. Much better beer out there , don't waste your cash. Unless you don't like flavor in beer or are an extreme calorie counter.

1.1/5  rDev -40.2%

I got this at local bar for only $1. I thought, "it's only a dollar why not give it a try?" My mistake! $1 for a 12 oz. that came to me in the usual standard American pint glass.

Appearnce: Straw yellow color with no head of foam in sight and very few carbonation bubbles. I thought maybe the bartender did something wrong, but I saw other beers with foam, so I guess the bartender did everything right. It's just the beer that had this problem.

Smell: Nothing, unless you count water as an aroma.
Taste: Watery with waterd down malt
Mouthfeel: Watery
Drinkability: Looks like water, tastes like water, it must be water. This might even be cheaper than water in some places.

2.56/5  rDev +39.1%

This ultra-lite beer is kind of like catching a 400 lb Marlin on 4 lb test. It looks good for an instant then it's long gone. Deep yellow color. Has a little bit of lacing. Smell is faint sweet hops. Taste is alot of carbonation with some hints of beer flavor. Kind of a beer flavored soda water. Once again as most AB products, I believe this is designed to be dranken ice cold on a blustery summer day. If this were the case right now, I could drink a case of these.

3.2/5  rDev +73.9%

I can't really smell this. It is light and watery, but for its style, it isn't bad. For beer, it is terrible, but comparing it to other American Macro Lager offerings, not bad. I tried to keep that in mind when making my review. I was at a movie theater, so the cup was frost-colored plastic. Still, from what I could see, it was very light colored and pale. It retained a thin head for a long time. As it warmed, the malts became more defined. It tasted slightly fruity. There was no identifiable hops taste. Given the choice between this and city water, which tastes like a swimming pool, I'd drink this. (That was my choice.)

1.47/5  rDev -20.1%

I had five of these left in my fridge by a friend, I didn't purchase them so I thought I would review this beer. Poured into a 20 oz. pint glass, the color is lite yellow, emphasis on the word lite. There is alot of carbonation in the glass as well. There is an aroma there in the first scent, but I can not place it, it is very faint. Taste, is very similar to water, no taste at all. In the mouth it feels like water, with carbonation added with coloring to make it look like beer. It is very easy to be negative toward this beer, because of the brewery it comes from. It is valiant effort to make a beer low carb, but they left the taste at the door. This beer fits the description of Monty Python's line from the Bruce sketch, American beer is like making love in a canoe...

2.2/5  rDev +19.6%

I could go through every category and describe this beer but that would be a waste of time. I guess it's ok if you're looking to cut some calories or carbs, but for the beer enthusiast it offers very little that you couldn't get from a bud, miller, or coors light, which are equally as bland, they just sport a smaller price tag. Save your money.

2.5/5  rDev +35.9%

Not much to say. This alleged "beer" is slightly more tasteful than a Coors Light, or a glass of water (aren't they the same thing?)

I agree with another reviewer: it's a great beer for your girlfriend, or for a night of Poker where you want to knock back a few and not really get too filled up.

honestly I'd rather drink Rolling Rock in that situation, but if your local store doesn't support Old LaTrobe then this is the one to buy.

faced with this choice in a cooler at a block party this summer I gladly chose the Michelob Ultra:

Heineken, Bud, Bud Light, Bud Select, and Michelob Ultra.

2.25/5  rDev +22.3%

Essentially this beer is exactly what you would expect from a beer that advertises itself as the lightest beer on the market. It's probably right.

It looks like sparkling white wine, it has no smell, it has very little taste. the taste it does have is extremely clean. It is no thicker than water in your mouth, it feels almost like a smirnoff ice or something of that nature. I do give it high marks for drinkability, as you could drink this all night without ever getting full.

All in all, this is the second best beer to give to your girlfriend to drink if she refuses to drink beer, behind Labatt Blue Light. Take it for what it is, it certainly it is not the beer drinkers light beer.

2.85/5  rDev +54.9%

poured a very pale yellow color with moderate white puffy head that quickly disappeared. Smell is minimal with only a slight sweetness noted. Taste is very light and non-offensive, really not much to describe evcept for a slight swweetness. Finish is refreshing but not hops found. If you need to drinka low caerb beer, this one is OK.

1.13/5  rDev -38.6%

Why would anyone drink this sorry excuse for a beer? Oh, because it's "low carb." Well, I'd rather be a few pounds heavier and enjoy good beer than drink this garbage.

appearance - a very light golden

smell - not much of one

taste - almost non-existant. I've tasted better NA beers.

mouthfeel - watery as all get out with mild carbonation.

drinkability - I couyldn't even finish one of these.

1.4/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours a slightly yellowed clear color with a 2 finger head that falls to nothing over top. Very active carbonation bubbles from the bottom of hte pint glass. Nose is faint whisps of grain and corn sweetness, but very faint. Flavor is just as faint as the nose. Hints of adjunct sweetness and very light grainyness. Feel is watery with an active carbonation. Drinkable beer, but for all the wrong reasons. Not something I would keep around. This takes the light lager to a new level of bad.

The pale-est. whitest beer I've ever seen. Seltzer with a slight yellow tint.

Smells like feet and adjunct metal. Born On date says September, so there's no way it's expired.

Tastes like water and nasty feet. Nothing comes close to resembling a beer, and nothing comes close to tasting good.

The pain of the fizz mixed with the horrible flavor made me dump this out drinking less than half of it. This is an incredibly bad beer, and not in the usual macro "tastes like nothing" sense. This actually tastes like feet.

2.52/5  rDev +37%

Very nice look, little head but very clear & yellow as desired for style. The aroma is awful, though - it has a very odd chemical-corn smell and a hint of sulfur. The flavor is OK for style, which isn't saying much but I'm gonna rate this one by style, what the hey? Its crisp & clean, bland, easy to drink. A very faint sweetness at the end and a touch of bitterness as well that rapidly subsides are the only things I can pick up. Mouthfeel is light, OK for style, and the beer is somewhat drinkable. Not a great beer, not even that great of an American Macro. To me, the biggest tragedy is I"ve been on low-carb for a while, it works, its great, but its "low carb" NOT no-carb and its much better to drink a hefty good beer with more carbs than this crap, unless you drink 6 beers every night (which I don't). I cut carbs in sweets and some starches, NOT in beer.

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch