Michelob Ultra | Anheuser-Busch

Read the review
Michelob UltraMichelob Ultra

Missouri, United States

Style: Light Lager

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Reviews: 593 | Ratings: 2,238

There has to be something wrong with this beer... it's skunked right? That is the major response that I hear working at an outdoor summer concert venue when poured, after trying this beer just now I can honestly say I understand what they mean. In all reality this beer is not beer it's a bastardized marketing concept by a conglomerate of a big business in the brewing industry of a USA mass produced, dumb down American light lagers. Marketed as the "low carbohydrate" light beer to pair with the ongoing trend of the Atkins diet, so if you ask me this beer is going to die just the same as all trends do and mark my words if this ever becomes a staple of the brewing industry of this country I may just find my way to another place. Smooth and refreshing lager beer this is false advertisement, but here goes my description pours quite a few shades short of golden with a highly carbonated artificial fizzy white head leaving no lace, sad looking. Aroma very mild hop aroma some sweetness and light cooked veggie tones with an nonexisting aroma might as well be carbonated water. Taste offensive in all regards tries to pass of shitty piss water as a "lager beer" with a harsh nonrefreshing cooked veggie psuedo hop profile that I could only pray would taste like water instead of it's current form. Mouthfeel is of over carbonated seltza water with the drinkability of urine.

1.59/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A friend bought a pitcher for the band last night.

A: The beer is crystal clear and an extremely light shade of yellow. There is an inch of head that quickly fades, leaving no lacing.

S: There is no aroma. Zilch. I can't honestly say the aroma is repugnant, as it seemingly does not exist.

T: The beer has no virtually no flavor whatsoever, for better or worse. There's really nothing more to say.

M: It's extremely watery. In fact, it's the most watery beer I have ever had.

D: I would rather drink tap water. This beer is completely futile. It doesn't taste bad - it doesn't taste like anything. Why waste money on a product that has nothing to offer? To create the perception that you're taking care of your physique and/or being responsible by choosing low calorie, faddish, flavorless macro swill? I'll pass.

I CAN't believe that there are no previous reviews to edit! I just reviewed this ULTRA-nothing beer the other day and now I have to subject myself to it again. Boo hoo.

As with many macros in a CAN, it pours with a decent finger-and-a-half of bone-white head with decent retention. The really striking aspect of this "beer" is its color - Holy Urine, Batman, my stream this morning was darker than this! It was an ULTRA-pale lemon-yellow with ULTRA NE-quality clarity. Hell, I could see through walls with this one! The nose had a slight cereal quality, but that was after repeated sniffs, trying to discern even something worth mentioning. ULTRA ho-hum! Mouthfeel was light, airy, ULTRA smooth, almost like I was not even drinking water, no, air, no, beer. Oh that's right, I was supposed to be drinking beer. Well, you could not prove it by this concoction. ULTRA boring. Finish was ULTRA non-existent. Wow. Give this a wide berth unless ULTRA boredom is your bag.

2.06/5  rDev +11.4%

12oz bottle care of my brother poured into a pub glass. The brew pours a very pale yellow color with less than a finger of white bubbles that rapidly dissolves to a thin layering across the top. Rising bubbles of carbonation maintain a thin film.

The aroma of this brew does not bring much to the table. It has a faint sweetness about it that is stretching to say it is grainy. A bit of sulfur and a minor touch of sulfur.

The taste echos the aroma in that it doesn't really have much character. Very mild, neutral grain flavoring with some residual sweetness somewhat like corn. I could sit here and ponder this brew all day but the fact of the matter is that this brew thrives on just not tasting like anything.

This is a light bodied brew with a moderate amount of carbonation. It is pretty much void of any real character which I guess is fitting for the style. If you want a beer that tastes as little like beer as possible, by all means go tank a case of this and throw a couple limes in the neck of the bottle just for shits. Not recommended.

1.58/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured clear - slight yellowish with a thin white head.
It lacked a real smell. Some preservative-something-or-other was in the background. So, it did have a slight odor - but nothing beer-like.
It tasted like water - bad water at that. Very weak.
The only good part is you can drink a good beer afterwards because it didn't leave an aftertaste that would interfere.
A neighbor offered to split one with me and against my better judgement I took her up on it.

Why bother with this one...

1.81/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a pale golden copper with a loose, soapy head that fades quickly. Smells of sweet corny grains and a hint of metal. The flavor is excessively mild bordering on nonexistent. There are hints of grains and faint earthy hops. The mouthfeel is extremely thin and light, and the beer is excessively carbonated.

Well, they achieved what they were after; a very light, low calorie, flavorless beer.

2.02/5  rDev +9.2%

My mother is on the Atkin's diet, so she is trying this beer. I figured I'd have one just for the sake of reviewing.

Appearance- Extremely pale, looks like someone added water to a Coors Light

Smell- Typical macro lager smell, nothing special

Taste- Too light, not any flavor to speak of, not offensive though

Mouthfeel- Not bad, smooth

Drinkability- I wouldn't drink this again, but it wasn't so terrible as to make me loath Michelob Ultra. Its just too light to have any personality.

1.54/5  rDev -16.8%

Oh boy I totally forgot to write this one up! From my notes poured into a tall pilsner glass, taken from a good friend who always drinks this...

Off the pour an extremely bleach white head is formed, but very soapy and disappears quite quickly, but does always leave some pencil thin collar while consuming. While pouring just from the sound and appearance, the impression I get is that there is going to be no texture. Pours like water, lots of slapping noises, a very straw gold body, some decent rising carbonation. Overall it pours quite weak but looks passable for a lager, it's not really that bad appearance wise.

One whiff and suddenly it's all bets are off. The nose on the brew is extremely thin and papery. It smells like paper pulp, or papier mâché. Slight sour grain, and this huge sense of carbon dioxide like gas. Some very strange fake bitter fruit zest to it also. Hints of rice, LOTS of rice and airy quality. Barely even resembles beer.

Palate hits and there is no feel to this beer at all. It truly is like drinking tap water, with some sour gas added to it. Malt backbone to this consists of nothing but eating rice cakes (even if it might be mostly corn not sure). It's largely tasteless. Papery texture and wet is not a good combination on most food items, and for beer its got to be the biggest sin ever. Strangely there's some hop action on the finish which almost reminds me that this supposed to be beer, but barely. Extremely fleeting palate, with no depth.

Overall this reminds me of an old Cosby show episode. Bill's wife comes home with rice cakes and says look these are new, and they are good for you and healthy! Bill picks one up, bites into it... crunch. Thinks for a second, then says, "this has no taste". Wife replies yeah but it's got practically no calories! uh.. IT has NO TASTE... he says again.

This is that beer. It's about as interesting as drinking a box of styrofoam chips. If you want to drink something low calorie at least go for some Clausthaler Amber. This beers angle just makes no sense to me. It is drinkable, and easy, but for flavor and experiences why would I even bother to have this again?

2.67/5  rDev +44.3%

11/02/04- Purchased at the local grocery store..

Appearance- Poor head retention (next to none), same with the lacing. Very light yellow straw coloring,

Smell- Scent of corn, maybe a bit of malt. Not really much scent. Doesn't smell horrible.

Taste- Well, I was expecting the worst, but it wasn't half bad. I had these for the first time in Arizona early this year and this is about the only beer my girlfriends Grandfather had. So, we drank it and got kind of used to it. It definitely quenched my thirst. Don't get me wrong, it's not a superior beer or anywhere near that. But, it's not a bad stand by if it's all you've got. A bit of malt taste. Very light and very crisp.

Mouthfeel- Pretty heafty carbonation. Kinda like seltzer water. Crisp feeling.

Drinkability- See taste above. Better than I expected. Not much flavor though. Did the job at hand though. Quenching my thirst at 90 plus degree temperatures.

1.38/5  rDev -25.4%

If I really wanted bad beer, I'd go find some 3.2 Bud and call it a night. I, however, got a free sample after a triathlon. Talk about a disappointing way to end your race.

It poured a tall head, decent looking head but it was all downhill from there. It had a light adjunct odor that was none too inviting and as I put the beer to my lips it only got worse. It starts with little to no flavor and then there's a slight rush of below-average macro-lager flavor.

The first beer that comes to mind while drinking this is Colt 45 in that while it is somewhat smooth, the taste is rank.

If Mich wants to make a beer for active people they should try adding gatorade or at least something that would give a more pleasant flavor and aroma than the insoles of my running shoes.

2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours a clear, pale yellow with slight head and absolutely no retention. Also, of course, there's no lacing. Smells of what you would expect - adjunct in a lager. I guess it fits this great style. Smooth and crisp is the best I can say about this beer. Tastes, bland (watered down), mostly adjunct in lager. Overall, not very good at all.

1.94/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

OK, so this isn't a good be relative to most of those reviewed on this site. But for its category it ain't bad.
Very light body, sparse head of two fingers that did not last long.
Smell of malt and water.
Taste was very light, rice and malt dominate, yet not sweet.
Crisp feeling on the palate, goes down easy. Better than some 'Lite' beers, but still not my type.

2.94/5  rDev +58.9%

The beer pours a pale, almost clear, gold color; very light. The head laces nicely. The nose smells like regular Michelob, but noticably lighter. The taste is very watery, but still maintaining the lager flavor. It goes down very smooth and finishes crisp. It's a gusler, no doubt and a bonafied "chick" beer. I guess if you enjoy macro-brewed lagers like Michelob, this is a beer you would be excited about. It's the old philosophy of less calories, larger consumption. I don't worry myself with calorie counts. What's the point? If a beer tastes good drink it. Like anything else in life; Use in moderation.

1.25/5  rDev -32.4%

Appearance: pours an extremely pale yellow color, virtually almost devoid of color. There was a 2" head that quickly evaporated.

Smell: vegetable and corn mostly with a hint of grass.

Taste: little to no malt profile. Corn, dried grass, and no bitterness rounds it out.

Mouthfeel: light in body. Crisp throughout with a dry finish that is actually unpleasant. Clean aftertaste.

Overall: I don't understand why light beers need to be so tasteless. This is one of the worst ones I have had to sample. If you want some flavor in a light beer, have a Sam Adama Light. Avoid this.

1.61/5  rDev -13%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Please hold off any lo-carb jokes for now, we'll get to those later. I have a beer to review:

The head is a bit of a surprise (heck, it even leaves lacing on the glass), but the body is very pale and colorless. If you got this beer from the show "Iron Brewer", you would swear the secret ingredient was rice. There's just a trace of corn, but whatever little flavor there is neutral from the rice. No aftertaste follows (there's a surprise).

I though I would see this beer in museums by now, but long after the Atkins diet fad, I still see people drink this stuff. Speaking of Atkins, how is eating a pound of bacon healthier than eating one apple? I'm not going to buy into something like that, and neither should you. The only reasons to drink this are to add to your beers reviewed list and to remind you this is "beer" to the lowest common denomenator.

2.09/5  rDev +13%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Can from the discount bin at Jackson's, all of 35 cents. As pale as you can get, foamy head fades to nothing. Grainy aroma, normal for the style. Taste is barely there, and then disappears. Not horrendous, but not much substance either.

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

2.52/5  rDev +36.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a small head. Very mild aroma, some hints of corn. Really no taste to speak of. Beer flavored water. Feels light in the mouth. Drinkability is not bad. Overall I would say this is a sorry excuse for beer, but since I need to take of a few pounds, I guess there is a purpose for it.

1.95/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Clear nearly transparent yellow colored brew. White fizzy short lived head. Aroma of dry cereal grains, namely corn and rice with some malt. There is a small note of grass. In the flavor, grain driven sweetness with a flash of mildly bitter hop that was a surprise. The flavor is quite light and goes away quickly. Watery, over carbonated body. Not the greatest beer here. My friend saw me drinking a bottle of this and grabbed it out of my hand and threw it into the back yard. I'd consider him a good friend and an even better person.

2.04/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Michelob Ultra has a straw tone that, while suited to a white wine, looks exceptionally dull in a beer. This essentially colourless beer is as lifeless as it is transparent (which is to say entirely). Bubbles are released in seemingly precision timed intervals but don't amount to much head.

With Michelob Ultra the world’s largest brewery explores new standards of repulsiveness. It's an aromatic atrocity. This is one beer I'd actually recommend drinking from the can. No one needs to smell the foul corn syrup and chemical adjuncts. It's ultra bad.

The lack of beer-like flavour explains why most non-beer drinkers find this agreeable enough. (The unpleasant adjunct taste is why they prefer to drink it 'ice' cold.) It is soda-like both in its sweetness and carbonation and reminds me of ginger ale except for the off-putting aftertaste.

The 95 calories and 2.6 grams of carbohydrates per serving is a benefit where diet is concerned, but it doesn't make for much of a mouthfeel. The beer is so thin-bodied that it quickly turns syrupy. Asked to describe it, I'd say it most resembles soda water.

The only instances in which I've been able to tolerate - I didn't say condone! - Michelob Ultra have been at a ballpark where the beer selection is so poor as to make a bad 'light' beer preferable to bad standard-strength brands. It is after all, among its few positive qualities, one of the most bland things I've ever tried. Summed up in two words: adult pop.

1.6/5  rDev -13.5%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours the absolute palest of yellow, looks almost like a sickly light green, when held up to the light. No head past 2 seconds.

S: Basically nothing to speak of.

T: Carbonated water, basically, with the slightest hint of pale malt, not a hop to be found. Not a bad aftertaste or off-tastes to this though, the only good thing about it.

M: Basically becomes carbonation instantly when it enters your mouth, not beer quality.

D: Not a good beer, if you want a light beer, drink Guinness, it was not hard to drink this beer, but won't have again unless free.

1.32/5  rDev -28.6%

Pours the palest of all possible yellows, it is almost water color.

Smell is almost nothing, faint sweetness and grain smell.

Taste is almost nothing at all. Non alcoholic O’Doul’s has more flavors than this. Take a regular Michelob and dilute it by a factor of 4, that is what is here. Almost seltzer water.

Mouthfeel is water.

It is drinkable as in like a glass of water.

2.92/5  rDev +57.8%

330ml bottle found in a night shop in Hammersmith, London. Best before Jan 07, drank Dec 06.

Very pale golden liquid, with no head at all, not even a hint of one.

A sweet, almost toffee aroma seemed to hit my nose, which didn't transfer into the taste. Euro lager, a Dort or Pilsner style would have been my guess if this had been a blind tasting, no way would I have thought this had been brewed outside Europe. A bit watery, with a tinge of apple, but nothing offensive or great about this beer in my opinion.

I am not a lager drinker normally, but got this purely because of this site, so I could review it. I must be getting sad in my old age!

1.83/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours an extremely pale golden with a bright white head that fades immediately to almost nothing. Smell is lightly sour and vaguely citrusy and grainy- sorta like a poor quality Orangina knock-off that's been watered down. There is an underlying cereal sweetness. The taste is unbelievably light, an initial graininess and then....nothing. It just fades off in a burst of effervescence that tastes vaguely of slightly sweetened club soda. That being said, as weak as this is, I prefer its inoffensiveness to the cooked corn taste to so many other American macro lagers. This one is barely a beer, but I could see sucking one down while mowing the yard- but only if I were out of water.

1.32/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Pours a fizzy pissy yellow, with a one inch head, and no lacing.

Smells like nothing. Very watery.

It tastes quite watery. There's only 90 calories here, and it shows. Some skunky tastes, with more vegetal hop tastes. Just. not. good.

Watery mouthfeel, slightly crisp near the end. High carbonation. Kinda makes me want to vomit.

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch