Budweiser & Clamato Chelada | Anheuser-Busch

Style: Fruit and Field Beer

Added by Zorro on 06-24-2007

View: Beers

3.87/5  rDev +86.1%

25 ounce can into pint glass, canned on 2/24/2018. Pours moderately murky/cloudy reddish orange/amber color with a minimal foamy off white head with poor retention, that reduces to nothing pretty quickly. No lacing on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation and clinging bubbles on the glass. Okay appearance. Aromas of tomato juice, lime, salt, garlic, onion, celery, chili pepper, peppercorn, brown sugar, cracker, and white bread; with light notes of clams, vinegar, and herbal/spice earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of lime, clamato, salt, and moderate pale malt notes; with solid strrength. Taste of big tomato juice, lime, salt, garlic, onion, celery, chili pepper, peppercorn, brown sugar, cracker, and white bread; with light notes of clams, vinegar, and herbal/spice earthiness. Mild herbal bitterness and peppery spiciness on the finish. Lingering notes of tomato juice, lime, salt, garlic, onion, celery, chili pepper, peppercorn, brown sugar, cracker, white bread, and herbal/spice earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Great complexity, robustness, and balance of lime, clamato, salt, and moderate pale malt flavors; great malt/bitter/spiciness balance, and no cloying flavors after the finish. Lightly increasing dryness from lingering bitter/spiciness. Medium-high carbonation and medium body; with a very smooth, moderately bready/grainy, fairly crisp, and lightly sticky/creamy tomato mouthfeel that is fantastic. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 5%. Lightly increasing pleasant lingering pepper heat through the glass. Overall this is a delicious fruit/spice/vegetable beer. All around nice complexity, robustness, and balance of lime, clamato, salt, and moderate pale malt flavors; very smooth, crisp, and refreshing to drink with the mildly bitter/spicy finish. This is the best one in this style I have had. Was even better than the bud light version, very similar but with more clean malt presence. Most other cheladas I've had were too heavy on tomato juice/body. This is perfect balance of Budweiser and Clamato flavors; with plenty of malt presence for the style. A very enjoyable offering, and outstanding style example.

3.98/5  rDev +91.3%

Remember one of the BA rules “don’t rate styles of beer that you don’t like”. It seems as though people who don’t like a Chelada or beer ‘n clam as we call it in Canada are rating it hence the low rating.

I’ve been mixing my own beer ‘n clams since I was a teenager and love it! This is just coveniant as you don’t need to mix your own. Taste is great if you love the cocktail but the price (here in Canada anyway) is too expensive. It’s much cheaper to buy a cheep lager and mix your own but I buy these all the time for camping and fishing trips where I don’t want to bring cups, beer and a big jug of clam with me.

It is what it is. It’s beer and Clamato juice so if you don’t like beer and clamato than obviously you won’t like this drink but for my fellow beer ‘n clam drinkers, drink up! You’ll love it.

3.18/5  rDev +52.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

You have three health benefits one alcohol one tomato juice and third clam broth . Even though they don't mix but u have to look at it health benefits.

1.97/5  rDev -5.3%

3.15/5  rDev +51.4%

This is going be a polarizing beer cocktail. First, you've got to love both beer and bloody mary cocktails. If you just like beer then this is not for you. This is a pretty good blending of two disparate, yet compatible, drinks. The Bud version is infinitely better than the Bud Light version so I never buy the BL variety. What it is a nice refreshing beer cocktail suited well for the warmer weather months...if you also like your Bloody Mary cocktails but want more refreshing carbonation. Here's the deal as I see it. It's more beer-ish if you will and not unlike flavored brews. I could stand more zing and more tomato as such. But, it's refreshing and drinkable. No weird notes if your in for spicy tomato juice and enjoy some carbonation. It comes in either 16 or 25 ounce cans in my area and the 'big boy" is all I want and is just right on a hot summer evening for a change of pace. Sure, a lot of folks will gag and I get that. However, if you are a well-rounded drink enthusiast this can have a place in your warmer weather rotation. The only thing I'd do if I was AB is to drop the Bud Light version and have two Bud renditions: this one and a [email protected]$$ BOLD one that is 6% or more ABV with a real wallop of pepper and tomato.

1.03/5  rDev -50.5%

Shared 25 fl.oz. can at local tasting. Cloudy orange to red colour, hardly any head. Aroma of cheap ketchup and stale seawater ponds. Sickly flavour of stale ketchup, salt and spices. Undrinkable.

2.16/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

3.95/5  rDev +89.9%

Let me start by saying this is not really beer - it's a beer cocktail. It ain't a lager, ipa, pale ale, stout etc etc - it's just beer mixed with spicy tomato juice. Sooooo, why did I give it a 4 you might ask???? I happen to love tomato juice, I love anything spicy and as you can imagine . . . I love beer sooooo this stuff (though it ain't really a beer) is super tasty IMO. It tastes like fizzy spicy tomato juice with a slight hint of beer. I have always seen this at the local liquor store and I never bothered to buy it but one day - in a moment of weakness - I said to myself "what the hey - let's give it a try" and lo and behold - I love it.

3.75/5  rDev +80.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tall 25 oz can (free ounce!). No head really. Looks like a bloody mary. Tastes pretty similar to a lighter version of a bloody mary. Tomatoes and some peppers. It's pretty much what you'd expect it to be. I like it for what it is. But I really enjoy bloodies.

3.46/5  rDev +66.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.64/5  rDev +75%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.55/5  rDev +70.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Backlog. 24 oz can. I love this stuff! I don’t care what anyone says! I never thought I’d give anything Anheuser-Busch makes such a high rating, but I do love a red beer every now and then, especially on a hangover. AB has made the perfect red beer in my opinion. *blows raspberries at all the beer snobs*

Edit: I wrote that review in 2009, and all these years later, I've found a much better michelada: Modelo Chelada Tamarindo Picante.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

3.09/5  rDev +48.6%

Great morning beer or hangover helper. pretty rough otherwise. Spicy tomato juice and a background of cheap beer makes this one go to the bottom but like I said, the morning after cure to get you going again !!

1.08/5  rDev -48.1%

Aroma is tomatoes, salt and mild malts/grains. The flavor is pretty much the same as the aroma. Could only stand a sip, knew it was going to be a mistake.

1.09/5  rDev -47.6%

Rippin' through flesh is what this beer does best, tear off my arm amputate my neck, eyes removed cranium smashed decomposing remains of my tongue severed in half.

It's so bad it's almost good. I usually take my reviews very seriously but it isn't even worth it. No words can truly explain this nectar of the Gods. I'd like to thank my neighbor for graciously donating this can to me. I will now pour it into a garbage bag and bury it. The soil wont be fertile for years ( think another potato famine ). This beer is the direct result of Barack Hussein Obama. Fox News told me so. Impeach Obummah! No therd turm!1;1;1;1; Mah guns!;1;1;

1.05/5  rDev -49.5%

3.88/5  rDev +86.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Cloudy reddish pink color with a slightly pink two and a half finger of head. The head was quite perforated through with large bubbles and was settling quickly into the beer.

Smells like tomatoes and something sweet like lime or citrus. Not much of any beer smell coming up to the nose.

The taste was quite surprising. Tastes of a nice mix of beer and clamato. As it should.

The mouth feel was more full bodied than other watery canned Micheladas.

I like to make my own tomato beers on occasion but do find a pre made version to be handy now and then. This applies only if the combo is done correctly, unlike so many commercial varieties of Micheladas. This one comes close to that good variety. I could see adding a bit more spicy heat and a touch of salty goodness. If you do not like tomato juice in your beer stay away from this one and avoid it like the plague. For those that enjoy the mix this one is really worth a try.

2.15/5  rDev +3.4%

2.25/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.07/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch