Budweiser & Clamato Chelada | Anheuser-Busch

anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit and Field Beer

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 180 | Ratings: 345

I can't get enough of these red beer's ! I have bought out every local storeal around me and it look's like I may have to make my own for a bit ! I wish the distributor's would push these a little harder in our area . It's typical that you find something you really like and there is a very limited supply ! Awesome flavor and I wuld make a permanent place for it in my garage fridge if I could find more than a can or twould at a time !

I love everything about this beer. I didn't even want to try it because I hate all flavored beers. For me it boils down to the fact that my palate is geared so much toward savory than sweet. I also love a bloody mary and beer. I like every single flavor in this beverage. This is the only beer "cocktail " I have ever enjoyed. Other than this I strictly enjoy a mostly along the lines of a black and tan. On occasion a strong stout hits the spot.

3.93/5  rDev +85.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 5

I absolutely love this beverage. Now, I'm a boy from Texas, and I've been eating spicy food all my life, so to me a spicy tomato beer is par for the course.

I'd take this over a High Life anyday. Champagne of beers? No thank you. Give me that michelada knock off.

Now then, if you're a Northerner the advice that follows may not be for you, but if you're a spice man, like myself, then you've already done this, but if you fall somewhere inbetween I strongly suggest to you to dose this beer with a bit of hot sauce. Now, the type of hot sauce you can put on it can be almost anything. Tobasco will work, give it a bit more of a vinegar punch... But I've gotten into this Yucateca hot sauce, and that works like a charm.

It's great in the mornings, great at night, and great at lunch with some tacos from the local taco truck. Barbacoa especially.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

best ever , i have never tasted anything better on this aspect. limey flavor with clam & tons of tomato beer mix. Budweiser Chelada's are the best hands down!!! i can't go a week without having at least 4 25 oz chelada's

3.68/5  rDev +73.6%

Firstly, don’t call this “beer”. It’s a beverage. I like tomato, spice, & the salinity of clam juice. So, by me it’s a hit. Not as a regular indulgence, only as the mood hits. I’m talking about the “Bud” version, there is a “Bud Light” version. As with anything “Bud Light”, just say no.
Enjoyed with a WaWa soft pretzel, good combo.

I bought this because we need to try anything new we see and wow were we disappointed. It tasted like a watered down V8 light beer mixture It was just so hard to drink we were actually going to dump it out.

3.87/5  rDev +82.5%

25 ounce can into pint glass, canned on 2/24/2018. Pours moderately murky/cloudy reddish orange/amber color with a minimal foamy off white head with poor retention, that reduces to nothing pretty quickly. No lacing on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation and clinging bubbles on the glass. Okay appearance. Aromas of tomato juice, lime, salt, garlic, onion, celery, chili pepper, peppercorn, brown sugar, cracker, and white bread; with light notes of clams, vinegar, and herbal/spice earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of lime, clamato, salt, and moderate pale malt notes; with solid strrength. Taste of big tomato juice, lime, salt, garlic, onion, celery, chili pepper, peppercorn, brown sugar, cracker, and white bread; with light notes of clams, vinegar, and herbal/spice earthiness. Mild herbal bitterness and peppery spiciness on the finish. Lingering notes of tomato juice, lime, salt, garlic, onion, celery, chili pepper, peppercorn, brown sugar, cracker, white bread, and herbal/spice earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Great complexity, robustness, and balance of lime, clamato, salt, and moderate pale malt flavors; great malt/bitter/spiciness balance, and no cloying flavors after the finish. Lightly increasing dryness from lingering bitter/spiciness. Medium-high carbonation and medium body; with a very smooth, moderately bready/grainy, fairly crisp, and lightly sticky/creamy tomato mouthfeel that is fantastic. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 5%. Lightly increasing pleasant lingering pepper heat through the glass. Overall this is a delicious fruit/spice/vegetable beer. All around nice complexity, robustness, and balance of lime, clamato, salt, and moderate pale malt flavors; very smooth, crisp, and refreshing to drink with the mildly bitter/spicy finish. This is the best one in this style I have had. Was even better than the bud light version, very similar but with more clean malt presence. Most other cheladas I've had were too heavy on tomato juice/body. This is perfect balance of Budweiser and Clamato flavors; with plenty of malt presence for the style. A very enjoyable offering, and outstanding style example.

3.98/5  rDev +87.7%

Remember one of the BA rules “don’t rate styles of beer that you don’t like”. It seems as though people who don’t like a Chelada or beer ‘n clam as we call it in Canada are rating it hence the low rating.

I’ve been mixing my own beer ‘n clams since I was a teenager and love it! This is just coveniant as you don’t need to mix your own. Taste is great if you love the cocktail but the price (here in Canada anyway) is too expensive. It’s much cheaper to buy a cheep lager and mix your own but I buy these all the time for camping and fishing trips where I don’t want to bring cups, beer and a big jug of clam with me.

It is what it is. It’s beer and Clamato juice so if you don’t like beer and clamato than obviously you won’t like this drink but for my fellow beer ‘n clam drinkers, drink up! You’ll love it.

3.18/5  rDev +50%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

You have three health benefits one alcohol one tomato juice and third clam broth . Even though they don't mix but u have to look at it health benefits.

3.15/5  rDev +48.6%

This is going be a polarizing beer cocktail. First, you've got to love both beer and bloody mary cocktails. If you just like beer then this is not for you. This is a pretty good blending of two disparate, yet compatible, drinks. The Bud version is infinitely better than the Bud Light version so I never buy the BL variety. What it is a nice refreshing beer cocktail suited well for the warmer weather months...if you also like your Bloody Mary cocktails but want more refreshing carbonation. Here's the deal as I see it. It's more beer-ish if you will and not unlike flavored brews. I could stand more zing and more tomato as such. But, it's refreshing and drinkable. No weird notes if your in for spicy tomato juice and enjoy some carbonation. It comes in either 16 or 25 ounce cans in my area and the 'big boy" is all I want and is just right on a hot summer evening for a change of pace. Sure, a lot of folks will gag and I get that. However, if you are a well-rounded drink enthusiast this can have a place in your warmer weather rotation. The only thing I'd do if I was AB is to drop the Bud Light version and have two Bud renditions: this one and a [email protected]$$ BOLD one that is 6% or more ABV with a real wallop of pepper and tomato.

1.03/5  rDev -51.4%

Shared 25 fl.oz. can at local tasting. Cloudy orange to red colour, hardly any head. Aroma of cheap ketchup and stale seawater ponds. Sickly flavour of stale ketchup, salt and spices. Undrinkable.

3.95/5  rDev +86.3%

Let me start by saying this is not really beer - it's a beer cocktail. It ain't a lager, ipa, pale ale, stout etc etc - it's just beer mixed with spicy tomato juice. Sooooo, why did I give it a 4 you might ask???? I happen to love tomato juice, I love anything spicy and as you can imagine . . . I love beer sooooo this stuff (though it ain't really a beer) is super tasty IMO. It tastes like fizzy spicy tomato juice with a slight hint of beer. I have always seen this at the local liquor store and I never bothered to buy it but one day - in a moment of weakness - I said to myself "what the hey - let's give it a try" and lo and behold - I love it.

3.75/5  rDev +76.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tall 25 oz can (free ounce!). No head really. Looks like a bloody mary. Tastes pretty similar to a lighter version of a bloody mary. Tomatoes and some peppers. It's pretty much what you'd expect it to be. I like it for what it is. But I really enjoy bloodies.

3.55/5  rDev +67.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Backlog. 24 oz can. I love this stuff! I don’t care what anyone says! I never thought I’d give anything Anheuser-Busch makes such a high rating, but I do love a red beer every now and then, especially on a hangover. AB has made the perfect red beer in my opinion. *blows raspberries at all the beer snobs*

Edit: I wrote that review in 2009, and all these years later, I've found a much better michelada: Modelo Chelada Tamarindo Picante.

3.09/5  rDev +45.8%

Great morning beer or hangover helper. pretty rough otherwise. Spicy tomato juice and a background of cheap beer makes this one go to the bottom but like I said, the morning after cure to get you going again !!

1.08/5  rDev -49.1%

Aroma is tomatoes, salt and mild malts/grains. The flavor is pretty much the same as the aroma. Could only stand a sip, knew it was going to be a mistake.

3.88/5  rDev +83%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Cloudy reddish pink color with a slightly pink two and a half finger of head. The head was quite perforated through with large bubbles and was settling quickly into the beer.

Smells like tomatoes and something sweet like lime or citrus. Not much of any beer smell coming up to the nose.

The taste was quite surprising. Tastes of a nice mix of beer and clamato. As it should.

The mouth feel was more full bodied than other watery canned Micheladas.

I like to make my own tomato beers on occasion but do find a pre made version to be handy now and then. This applies only if the combo is done correctly, unlike so many commercial varieties of Micheladas. This one comes close to that good variety. I could see adding a bit more spicy heat and a touch of salty goodness. If you do not like tomato juice in your beer stay away from this one and avoid it like the plague. For those that enjoy the mix this one is really worth a try.

2.4/5  rDev +13.2%

This is certainly not the ideal michelada type drink. However, it's kinda tasty and refreshing. It's not *good* but it's just good enough for me to grab a can on occasion. Go for the spicy version if you find it.

4.7/5  rDev +121.7%

Honestly at first I was skeptical about this drink. The first time I drank it I did not like it. But there was something about the way it tasted made me want to try it again. Long story short, I fell in love with it and it's my go to drink in the summer!

1.02/5  rDev -51.9%

I had the Bud light version back in 2007. I decided to get the regular, just in case my taste has changed. I'm hoping for the best, but fearing for the worst. The picture will be in WBAYDN 1271.

Poured into a shot glass, just in case.

Pours light pink, the head was thick, but went away almost instantly. The nose is oh, god, why did I open this. putrid tomato, mixed with a bad fish smell, mixed with bad beer. Some chunks in the shot glass.

Taste: do I have to drink this? Ohhhhhh, yes I do, so it can be a proper review. The taste is putrid. Bad beer, bad tomato, bad clam juice. Oh, why do I want a beer style this badly? One sip was all I can take. No more. rest is a drain pour, and I feel bad for the drain.

I tried this...whatever it is, on a stupid dare. I rank this somewhere between MD40 and Night Train. It's what you buy when you absolutely want/need to punish yourself and/or your tastebuds. If you only have a few dollars in your pocket and absolutely need a drink, Steel Reserve is a safer bet.

1.06/5  rDev -50%

With the amount of fizzy yellow and tomato red, you get that shade of pink you see on the sidewalks Sunday morning around bars and whatnot. Aroma is nasty, but if you really try you can try and isolate some tomato.

Taste is like bud light ketchup. Gross sweetness, shitty juice beer, lemon, pepper, gtfo with this nonsense.

One of the worst beers of all time. Utterly terrible in every way. You have no father.

1.15/5  rDev -45.8%

Considering I couldn't find Morning Glory, Fou Foune or Pliny the Younger for my thousandth review, I thought I would do something a little different.

Pours a beautiful, hazy red with floating pureed tomato and little red chunks for texture. Can't tell if they are seeds or pieces of tomato skin. Either way, they are very appealing to the eye. Pink, fizzy, soda-like carbonation performs the most amazing disappearing act. Who wants head on their beer anyway?

Complex, delicate aroma of rotten tomatoes paired elegantly with sea salt and lime. Really brings out the strength and spiciness of the rotten fruit.

Flavor begins with savory sea salt quickly shifting into citric, tropical lime. Tomatoes come to life mid drink imparting wonderfully stale, earthy tones. Rich, vomit-like acidity adds a depth to the overall flavor. Subtle pepper spice brings the whole experience together. No malt or hop flavor detected but in a beer this good, who needs it?

Smooth and creamy, moderate body with lots of tiny bubbles bring each and every delectable flavor to the palate one at a time. Wonderful, grainy texture of tomato seeds. Finishes dry from the wealth of sea salt. Every smooth, refreshing sip makes my mouth water for more.

Overall, a stellar fruit beer which really showcases the potential of each and every ingredient involved. What a wonderful blend of such complex and powerful flavors. This beer is so perfect, I feel unworthy to drink it. I suppose I must pour it down the drain.

1.36/5  rDev -35.8%

I'm sorry but this was the single worst beer I've ever had. Upon one sip it engaged my gag reflex and I began to choke. The rest was poured down the drain. Tastes like liquid Spaghetti O' s mixed with Bud Light. This started as a joke but it made me nauseous and the joke was over.

3.4/5  rDev +60.4%

Sometimes, you just need some tomato-y alcohol, and even simple can get it done. Poured into a big plastic kitchen cup with ice, because that was what I had on hand. The head rises far up, then dies like a bird flying into a peterbuilt big rig. Tomato taste, mixed with some form of citrus, hot sauce, and a buncha fizziness. Light red. ...cheap.

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch