Budweiser & Clamato Chelada | Anheuser-Busch

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Zorro on 06-24-2007

Reviews: 163 | Ratings: 315
2.4/5  rDev +19.4%

This is certainly not the ideal michelada type drink. However, it's kinda tasty and refreshing. It's not *good* but it's just good enough for me to grab a can on occasion. Go for the spicy version if you find it.

4.7/5  rDev +133.8%

Honestly at first I was skeptical about this drink. The first time I drank it I did not like it. But there was something about the way it tasted made me want to try it again. Long story short, I fell in love with it and it's my go to drink in the summer!

1.02/5  rDev -49.3%

I had the Bud light version back in 2007. I decided to get the regular, just in case my taste has changed. I'm hoping for the best, but fearing for the worst. The picture will be in WBAYDN 1271.

Poured into a shot glass, just in case.

Pours light pink, the head was thick, but went away almost instantly. The nose is oh, god, why did I open this. putrid tomato, mixed with a bad fish smell, mixed with bad beer. Some chunks in the shot glass.

Taste: do I have to drink this? Ohhhhhh, yes I do, so it can be a proper review. The taste is putrid. Bad beer, bad tomato, bad clam juice. Oh, why do I want a beer style this badly? One sip was all I can take. No more. rest is a drain pour, and I feel bad for the drain.

I tried this...whatever it is, on a stupid dare. I rank this somewhere between MD40 and Night Train. It's what you buy when you absolutely want/need to punish yourself and/or your tastebuds. If you only have a few dollars in your pocket and absolutely need a drink, Steel Reserve is a safer bet.

1.06/5  rDev -47.3%

With the amount of fizzy yellow and tomato red, you get that shade of pink you see on the sidewalks Sunday morning around bars and whatnot. Aroma is nasty, but if you really try you can try and isolate some tomato.

Taste is like bud light ketchup. Gross sweetness, shitty juice beer, lemon, pepper, gtfo with this nonsense.

One of the worst beers of all time. Utterly terrible in every way. You have no father.

1.15/5  rDev -42.8%

Considering I couldn't find Morning Glory, Fou Foune or Pliny the Younger for my thousandth review, I thought I would do something a little different.

Pours a beautiful, hazy red with floating pureed tomato and little red chunks for texture. Can't tell if they are seeds or pieces of tomato skin. Either way, they are very appealing to the eye. Pink, fizzy, soda-like carbonation performs the most amazing disappearing act. Who wants head on their beer anyway?

Complex, delicate aroma of rotten tomatoes paired elegantly with sea salt and lime. Really brings out the strength and spiciness of the rotten fruit.

Flavor begins with savory sea salt quickly shifting into citric, tropical lime. Tomatoes come to life mid drink imparting wonderfully stale, earthy tones. Rich, vomit-like acidity adds a depth to the overall flavor. Subtle pepper spice brings the whole experience together. No malt or hop flavor detected but in a beer this good, who needs it?

Smooth and creamy, moderate body with lots of tiny bubbles bring each and every delectable flavor to the palate one at a time. Wonderful, grainy texture of tomato seeds. Finishes dry from the wealth of sea salt. Every smooth, refreshing sip makes my mouth water for more.

Overall, a stellar fruit beer which really showcases the potential of each and every ingredient involved. What a wonderful blend of such complex and powerful flavors. This beer is so perfect, I feel unworthy to drink it. I suppose I must pour it down the drain.

1.36/5  rDev -32.3%

I'm sorry but this was the single worst beer I've ever had. Upon one sip it engaged my gag reflex and I began to choke. The rest was poured down the drain. Tastes like liquid Spaghetti O' s mixed with Bud Light. This started as a joke but it made me nauseous and the joke was over.

3.4/5  rDev +69.2%

Sometimes, you just need some tomato-y alcohol, and even simple can get it done. Poured into a big plastic kitchen cup with ice, because that was what I had on hand. The head rises far up, then dies like a bird flying into a peterbuilt big rig. Tomato taste, mixed with some form of citrus, hot sauce, and a buncha fizziness. Light red. ...cheap.

3.35/5  rDev +66.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I normally avoid Budweiser like syphilis but the Clamato angle roped me in.

Poured into a 22oz Sam Adams glass. The color dark orange with a thin and fleeting head.
Spicier than Clamato but pretty smooth going down. I could definitely see myself slamming a couple of these for breakfast. Overall it's not great yet better than I expected.

3.55/5  rDev +76.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Red cloudy beer. No head and only tomato juice particles on the side of the glass.
Smells like tomato and lime.
Tastes like a beer clamato juice and lime. There is also a few drops of something like tobasco sauce.
Finishes fairly spicy.
Overall a tasty beer bloody mary.

4.48/5  rDev +122.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Really a great product. Hazy red. No head. Salty. Limey. Clammy. Tomato. Fizzy carbonation is so refreshing. Goes great with some hot sauce. With I could find 12oz cans.

3.23/5  rDev +60.7%

Honestly surprised the bros haven't tried this one.

There are notes of tomato juice, and beer. and what else could anyone ask for?

Totally refreshing. One of the few flavors I crave

1.53/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This literally tastes like ketchup flavored seltzer. Has a spiciness on the finish that stays on the back of your tongue. Watery mouthfeel but carbonation is very much there. It's just weird. Not surprised this kind of thing is popular in Canada where ketchup flavored chips are also found.

I'm not ashamed to rate this as my highest beer ever. If I were stranded on a desert island. This is the beer I would want flown in. Pound for pound. Dollar for dollar. This beer tastes so good. First time I had it I thought it tasted like blood when I was a kid and I wrecked a bicycle playing "chicken" with my sister. I licked that wound. Why?

Well my thumbnail fell off in 1985.

Why did I lick that wound? And I hated this beer when I came out..

Now I love it.

Bloody Mary except no Vodka. You can sip it and enjoy it.

I'm totally hooked on this beer.

I've had a lifetime of experiences. And this beer is that beer that I want from now on when I want a beer.

It has enough salt to balance me. I don't get drunk on these. I get contemplative. It's like their is alcohol involved but hidden. It's like having a steak on the bbq and sunshine.

Yet in the deepest darkest howls of Winter winds...I still want this beer...

Good Job AB!

1.54/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Starts with super thick head with large bubbles that disappears in about 5 secs. Smells like tomato juice with just a hint of beer. Tastes like tomato juice and goes down like an adjunct, but burns going down throat. This is only slightly better than Bud Light & Clamato. Only reason I'm gonna finish it is because I hate to throw out beer.

Clamato pours a reddish pinkish color with no head. It smells like tomato juice and vomit. The taste is soapy with big tomato flavors very salty. Horrible flat body, horrible flavors. Overall it is not only the worst beer I ever had, it is the worst thing I have ever tasted.

I tried this beer on a dare and was amazed at how good it is! I’m not normally a fan of tomato based alcoholic beverages, preferring beer or table wine to my wife’s bloody mary’s. However, in the case of B&C, I’ve lot all inhibitions for mixing alcohol and delicious nightshade fruits.

I can’t give this beer a higher rating, and I don’t even like Budweiser by itself! Recommended+++

2.7/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I have to come clean with everyone out there. This stuff is like crack for me. It's a total acquired taste guilty pleasure. As a Canadian, I grew up mixing Clamato into shitty beers like Old Milwaukee. Beer and clam is a perfect drink for camping or hangover mornings. The way Cheladas are spiced is unique, but very appealing to me. I can't help myself.

4.4/5  rDev +118.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love this, the boyfriend discovered it in CA and since then it's always been a guilty pleasure. Totally for those who love clamato, and otherwise I could totally understand hating it.

1.77/5  rDev -11.9%

I'm convinced all the high ratings are AB employees. There is no way a real "beer advocate" would choose this over making their own. Grab your favorite lager and a bottle of clamato juice and mix accordingly. $2.99 a 25oz can, not worth it. Just make your own.

3.5/5  rDev +74.1%

This is not a beer but rather sort of a cocktail drink to all those not familiar with michelada or chelada drinks. Color is pinkish and not that pleasant to the eye, smell is weak for michelada original ingredients, I liked the taste thouh, don't get me wrong this is nothing close to preparing one yourself. Great for 100+ degrees summer days and have 1 or 2 at most.

Tried Bud light and Modelo version too. Even tried making my own different ways. This one is just the best mix of THIS TYPE OF DRINK. I tried using chelada mix and tried with V8 juice but doesn't compare. I think we need a new phrase... "Konk! Wow! I could have hard a Chelada!". :)

Never had this one either and also sampled last night on 8/18/14. This one came in a 25 ounce can for $2.39. Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a vintage "Budwesier' thumb print glass goblet that I bought for 59 cents about a mont ago at the local Salvation Army Store in 'like-new' condition.

Pours a pinkish-red in color with no head to speak of and no lacing to mention either. The aroma is would be expected and is of 'beer and tomato juice'. More going on with the taste as you can taste the lime and salt in the mix also. A little tangy on the tongue. Not as bad as i did except but not a great one either. It is different.

3.57/5  rDev +77.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I didn't want to see what this looked like in a glass, if I was actually going to drink it. Pinkish foam always puts me off. So I drank it out of the can. Coarse carbonation on the tongue and the appropriately zingy mouthfeel, can't hate that. The smell is metallic tomato, I agree with the haters on that.

This stuff is actually pretty good. It's an improvement over the Bud Light concoctions as it actually tastes somewhat beery. But it's also an improvement over unadlturated Budweiser. The flavor is mostly fizzy and quite spicy Clamato. Tangy and acidic with something not entirely unlike lime. Not bad at all if you like Clamato, and it was the ideal gulp with a day-old sandwich and the taste of sea water in my mouth.

From the 16 oz can purchased at the supermarket. I hated on a revered Crooked Stave sour "Saison," so I feel better praising this flavored beer-like substance.

3.81/5  rDev +89.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 4

I am not Mexican, but sometimes I feel like one. Especially on those hot summer days when I'm dirty. Twenty five ounces of Labomba! Makes me feel classy drinking a cocktail with the king of beers. Don't take too much on for the first sip, if shaken let it have a siesta, it can hit the back of your mouth and you may have the taste of puked Clamato. After that...enjoy the journey. Despite it's contents, the taste is perfumy and not too heavy. To make it authentic, I suggest enjoying it in an ice filled glass with a splash of worecestshire sauce and a slice of lime. But, if you bought a can of this you probably drink it from it's container wrapped in the brown paper bag coozie.

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch