Budweiser & Clamato Chelada

Gots
SCORE
Awful
Budweiser & Clamato CheladaBudweiser & Clamato Chelada
Notes: Budweiser & Clamato Chelada and Bud Light & Clamato Chelada are a combination of our classic American-style lagers, Budweiser and Bud Light, and the rich, spicy taste of Clamato Tomato Cocktail. We follow the traditional brewing process for Budweiser and Bud Light. Clamato is carefully blended with the beer to create the proper balance of the crisp finish of Budweiser or Bud Light and the signature taste of Clamato.
View: Beers
Reviews: 185 | Ratings: 354 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
GreesyFizeek from New York

1.27/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

This one pours a weird and dead looking light red color, with a small head, and not much lacing.

This smells like an old fetid tide pool, salt, warm rain water, pepper spice, and ketchup.

I don’t know who this is made for, but it’s certainly not made for me. The back end is weirdly sweet tomato ketchup type flavors but also with an unpleasant spice to it. I don’t mind a bit of brine in certain beers, but it just feels so old and nasty with the clam juice in here.

This is simultaneously super watery but also uncomfortably thick at times, with a weird slickness. It just kind of hurts going down.

I could barely stomach about 3oz of this thing. It’s just not my thing, not at all. I hate it.

Jul 05, 2020
Bouleboubier from New Jersey

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

(25 oz can, code 19236; purchased cold single... poured into a Gibraltar glass)

L: cloudy, pinkish liquid; looks like a raspberry wit? but without any foam, suds of which explode and vanish on the pour... with subsequent pours, the murk gets murkier, and some nasty, spitty, tomato-y foam smears do cling, tomato specks abound

S: moderately-intense emanation of tomato juice and limey brine on the nose, however, little if any 'clam'; smells innocent enough, not necessarily off-putting, unless you have a depressingly dull diet... certainly has a fresh, floral overtone

T: tomato juice, mellow undercurrent of grain-soupy adjunct lager, light-moderate sea mist, barely a kiss of citrus color, but a rather forward peppery bite I wasn't expecting... almost a subtle tomato paste-y sweetness around the edges, but thankfully not sweetly-flavored like caramel or sugar... pepper and lightly malted tomato nectar prevalent in the aftertaste

F: mildly spritzy carbonation coupled with the peppery bite makes for an enlivening, burn/sting upon the tongue/palate, mellow heat building an embery fire... take the flavors away, and it's arguably rather wit-smooth in its textures up front, and relatively prickly-hot at the back like perhaps an egregiously coriander-ed extra-triple

O: should I be surprised that I enjoyed and was fascinated by this? - the recipe works well but, to my taste, I'd prefer a little more brine and maybe some umami-funk to give it more depth... not sure I'd quite go gangbusters experimenting on cocktail-ish flavor doctorings with this, but I can already think of a variety of ways to accent flavors here: lime wedge(s), (more) clam juice, anchovy oleo, celery salt, spicy mango, tequila chaser, et al... overtly Bloody Mary-like, noticeably/deliciously malty, and applicable within countless culinary scenarios - needs and begs to be paired with charred meats, oily carbs, spicy fruits etc etc... definitely going back for another - wow! (1639)

Jan 12, 2020
Ander109

1.92/5  rDev -3.5%

Blegh. The taste of tomato is so strong, it doesn't even taste like tomato. It's worse than a V8. It looks decent. but tastes like clam juice. Do not drink.

Dec 02, 2019
WyomingBeerfan

4.74/5  rDev +138.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The best chelada bud makes. You get 25 ounces of tomato based clam beer beverage for $3, what more can you ask for? I'm an ipa guy, but the balance of spice, clamato, and budweiser creates a vortex of euphoria that smoothly slides down your throat. Look is typical of a chelada/michelada; off red/pink with floating bits of tomato. Smell is very tomato forward with the typical malt smell of budweiser. Taste is amazing, a perfect balance of spice and refreshing light beer, along with a decently high carbonation this is a great summertime beer..I drink a lot of these after being on the water all day, but also make great drinks after skiing too. A great all around beverage

Nov 08, 2019
Mline1980 from Texas

4.32/5  rDev +117.1%

Any flavored beer in a big can you gotta be skeptical. When my friend showed me this beer I couldn't believe what I had been missing. I like Budweiser but only on draft at a ballgame. It seems this is a perfect combination. I've mixed my own bud and tomato juice with a little worsteshire and lime, it's killer as well. But you can get 2 of the 25 oz. for $6, perfect. Great for hangovers. I can only drink 2 of them at the most as they taste packed with sodium. Then I switch to regular beer. Cheers!

Aug 20, 2019
Cowboy1965 from New York

I can't get enough of these red beer's ! I have bought out every local storeal around me and it look's like I may have to make my own for a bit ! I wish the distributor's would push these a little harder in our area . It's typical that you find something you really like and there is a very limited supply ! Awesome flavor and I wuld make a permanent place for it in my garage fridge if I could find more than a can or twould at a time !

Jun 29, 2019
AwesomeSauce from Virginia

I love everything about this beer. I didn't even want to try it because I hate all flavored beers. For me it boils down to the fact that my palate is geared so much toward savory than sweet. I also love a bloody mary and beer. I like every single flavor in this beverage. This is the only beer "cocktail " I have ever enjoyed. Other than this I strictly enjoy a mostly along the lines of a black and tan. On occasion a strong stout hits the spot.

Jan 12, 2019
LingeringProfanity from Texas

3.93/5  rDev +97.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 5

I absolutely love this beverage. Now, I'm a boy from Texas, and I've been eating spicy food all my life, so to me a spicy tomato beer is par for the course.

I'd take this over a High Life anyday. Champagne of beers? No thank you. Give me that michelada knock off.

Now then, if you're a Northerner the advice that follows may not be for you, but if you're a spice man, like myself, then you've already done this, but if you fall somewhere inbetween I strongly suggest to you to dose this beer with a bit of hot sauce. Now, the type of hot sauce you can put on it can be almost anything. Tobasco will work, give it a bit more of a vinegar punch... But I've gotten into this Yucateca hot sauce, and that works like a charm.

It's great in the mornings, great at night, and great at lunch with some tacos from the local taco truck. Barbacoa especially.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

Jan 09, 2019
Hartzal from Texas

best ever , i have never tasted anything better on this aspect. limey flavor with clam & tons of tomato beer mix. Budweiser Chelada's are the best hands down!!! i can't go a week without having at least 4 25 oz chelada's

Nov 13, 2018
MackT from Florida

3.68/5  rDev +84.9%

Firstly, don’t call this “beer”. It’s a beverage. I like tomato, spice, & the salinity of clam juice. So, by me it’s a hit. Not as a regular indulgence, only as the mood hits. I’m talking about the “Bud” version, there is a “Bud Light” version. As with anything “Bud Light”, just say no.
Enjoyed with a WaWa soft pretzel, good combo.

Nov 11, 2018
JimboBrews54 from Michigan

I bought this because we need to try anything new we see and wow were we disappointed. It tasted like a watered down V8 light beer mixture It was just so hard to drink we were actually going to dump it out.

Oct 19, 2018
superspak from Michigan

4.02/5  rDev +102%

25 ounce can into pint glass, canned on 2/24/2018. Pours moderately murky/cloudy reddish orange/amber color with a minimal foamy off white head with poor retention, that reduces to nothing pretty quickly. No lacing on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation and clinging bubbles on the glass. Good appearance. Aromas of big tomato juice, lime, salt, garlic, onion, celery, chili pepper, peppercorn, brown sugar, cracker, and white bread; with light notes of clams, vinegar, and herbal/spice earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of lime, clamato, salt, and moderate pale malt notes; with big strength. Taste of big tomato juice, lime, salt, garlic, onion, celery, chili pepper, peppercorn, brown sugar, cracker, and white bread; with light notes of clams, vinegar, and herbal/spice earthiness. Mild herbal bitterness and peppery spiciness on the finish. Lingering notes of tomato juice, lime, salt, garlic, onion, celery, chili pepper, peppercorn, brown sugar, cracker, white bread, and herbal/spice earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Great complexity, robustness, and balance of lime, clamato, salt, and moderate pale malt flavors; great malt/bitter/spiciness balance, and no cloying flavors after the finish. Lightly increasing dryness from lingering bitter/spiciness. Medium-high carbonation and medium body; with a very smooth, moderately bready/grainy, fairly crisp, and lightly sticky/saline/creamy tomato mouthfeel that is fantastic. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 5%. Lightly increasing pleasant lingering pepper heat through the glass. Overall this is a delicious fruit/spice/vegetable beer. All around nice complexity, robustness, and balance of lime, clamato, salt, and moderate pale malt flavors; very smooth, crisp, and refreshing to drink with the mildly bitter/spicy finish. This is the best one in this style I have had. Was even better than the bud light version, very similar but with more clean malt presence. Most other cheladas I've had were too heavy on tomato juice/body. This is perfect balance of Budweiser and Clamato flavors; with plenty of malt presence for the style. A very enjoyable offering, and outstanding style example.

Oct 06, 2018
Burgz from Canada

3.98/5  rDev +100%

Remember one of the BA rules “don’t rate styles of beer that you don’t like”. It seems as though people who don’t like a Chelada or beer ‘n clam as we call it in Canada are rating it hence the low rating.

I’ve been mixing my own beer ‘n clams since I was a teenager and love it! This is just coveniant as you don’t need to mix your own. Taste is great if you love the cocktail but the price (here in Canada anyway) is too expensive. It’s much cheaper to buy a cheep lager and mix your own but I buy these all the time for camping and fishing trips where I don’t want to bring cups, beer and a big jug of clam with me.

It is what it is. It’s beer and Clamato juice so if you don’t like beer and clamato than obviously you won’t like this drink but for my fellow beer ‘n clam drinkers, drink up! You’ll love it.

Sep 07, 2018
Johnb78 from Florida

3.18/5  rDev +59.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

You have three health benefits one alcohol one tomato juice and third clam broth . Even though they don't mix but u have to look at it health benefits.

Aug 08, 2018
AudioFileZ from Alabama

3.15/5  rDev +58.3%

This is going be a polarizing beer cocktail. First, you've got to love both beer and bloody mary cocktails. If you just like beer then this is not for you. This is a pretty good blending of two disparate, yet compatible, drinks. The Bud version is infinitely better than the Bud Light version so I never buy the BL variety. What it is a nice refreshing beer cocktail suited well for the warmer weather months...if you also like your Bloody Mary cocktails but want more refreshing carbonation. Here's the deal as I see it. It's more beer-ish if you will and not unlike flavored brews. I could stand more zing and more tomato as such. But, it's refreshing and drinkable. No weird notes if your in for spicy tomato juice and enjoy some carbonation. It comes in either 16 or 25 ounce cans in my area and the 'big boy" is all I want and is just right on a hot summer evening for a change of pace. Sure, a lot of folks will gag and I get that. However, if you are a well-rounded drink enthusiast this can have a place in your warmer weather rotation. The only thing I'd do if I was AB is to drop the Bud Light version and have two Bud renditions: this one and a [email protected]$$ BOLD one that is 6% or more ABV with a real wallop of pepper and tomato.

Jul 03, 2018
Sigmund from Norway

1.03/5  rDev -48.2%

Shared 25 fl.oz. can at local tasting. Cloudy orange to red colour, hardly any head. Aroma of cheap ketchup and stale seawater ponds. Sickly flavour of stale ketchup, salt and spices. Undrinkable.

Jun 12, 2018
MeanMotaScootah from California

3.95/5  rDev +98.5%

Let me start by saying this is not really beer - it's a beer cocktail. It ain't a lager, ipa, pale ale, stout etc etc - it's just beer mixed with spicy tomato juice. Sooooo, why did I give it a 4 you might ask???? I happen to love tomato juice, I love anything spicy and as you can imagine . . . I love beer sooooo this stuff (though it ain't really a beer) is super tasty IMO. It tastes like fizzy spicy tomato juice with a slight hint of beer. I have always seen this at the local liquor store and I never bothered to buy it but one day - in a moment of weakness - I said to myself "what the hey - let's give it a try" and lo and behold - I love it.

Sep 09, 2017
mothman from Minnesota

3.75/5  rDev +88.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tall 25 oz can (free ounce!). No head really. Looks like a bloody mary. Tastes pretty similar to a lighter version of a bloody mary. Tomatoes and some peppers. It's pretty much what you'd expect it to be. I like it for what it is. But I really enjoy bloodies.

Aug 08, 2017
poisoneddwarf from Idaho

3.55/5  rDev +78.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Backlog. 24 oz can. I love this stuff! I don’t care what anyone says! I never thought I’d give anything Anheuser-Busch makes such a high rating, but I do love a red beer every now and then, especially on a hangover. AB has made the perfect red beer in my opinion. *blows raspberries at all the beer snobs*

Edit: I wrote that review in 2009, and all these years later, I've found a much better michelada: Modelo Chelada Tamarindo Picante.

Jun 05, 2017
hophugger from Virginia

3.09/5  rDev +55.3%

Great morning beer or hangover helper. pretty rough otherwise. Spicy tomato juice and a background of cheap beer makes this one go to the bottom but like I said, the morning after cure to get you going again !!

Apr 17, 2017
jzlyo from Iowa

1.08/5  rDev -45.7%

Aroma is tomatoes, salt and mild malts/grains. The flavor is pretty much the same as the aroma. Could only stand a sip, knew it was going to be a mistake.

Apr 05, 2017
BeerBobber from Nevada

3.88/5  rDev +95%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Cloudy reddish pink color with a slightly pink two and a half finger of head. The head was quite perforated through with large bubbles and was settling quickly into the beer.

Smells like tomatoes and something sweet like lime or citrus. Not much of any beer smell coming up to the nose.

The taste was quite surprising. Tastes of a nice mix of beer and clamato. As it should.

The mouth feel was more full bodied than other watery canned Micheladas.

I like to make my own tomato beers on occasion but do find a pre made version to be handy now and then. This applies only if the combo is done correctly, unlike so many commercial varieties of Micheladas. This one comes close to that good variety. I could see adding a bit more spicy heat and a touch of salty goodness. If you do not like tomato juice in your beer stay away from this one and avoid it like the plague. For those that enjoy the mix this one is really worth a try.

Feb 05, 2017
mfTOMHANK from Arizona

2.4/5  rDev +20.6%

This is certainly not the ideal michelada type drink. However, it's kinda tasty and refreshing. It's not *good* but it's just good enough for me to grab a can on occasion. Go for the spicy version if you find it.

Aug 07, 2016
BeernutzO from Texas

4.7/5  rDev +136.2%

Honestly at first I was skeptical about this drink. The first time I drank it I did not like it. But there was something about the way it tasted made me want to try it again. Long story short, I fell in love with it and it's my go to drink in the summer!

Jul 14, 2016
Victory_Sabre1973 from Minnesota

1.02/5  rDev -48.7%

I had the Bud light version back in 2007. I decided to get the regular, just in case my taste has changed. I'm hoping for the best, but fearing for the worst. The picture will be in WBAYDN 1271.

Poured into a shot glass, just in case.

Pours light pink, the head was thick, but went away almost instantly. The nose is oh, god, why did I open this. putrid tomato, mixed with a bad fish smell, mixed with bad beer. Some chunks in the shot glass.

Taste: do I have to drink this? Ohhhhhh, yes I do, so it can be a proper review. The taste is putrid. Bad beer, bad tomato, bad clam juice. Oh, why do I want a beer style this badly? One sip was all I can take. No more. rest is a drain pour, and I feel bad for the drain.

Apr 14, 2016