Budweiser & Clamato Chelada | Anheuser-Busch

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Zorro on 06-24-2007

2.12/5  rDev +4.4%

2.1/5  rDev +3.4%

Picked this up from a local grocery store.

Pours a light reddish orange with a thin white head that dissipated quickly leaving no collar. Aroma was of tomato juice and a slight hint of barley. Taste was a red beer. Watery texture. This is not a good beer, but it does have a place it beats making my own red beer. Not great as a beer, but decent in its own right.

2.07/5  rDev +2%

Reviewed to style.

Pours a cloudy pink tomato color with a short lived pink head. Smells of salty tomato juice, but not of beer. Tastes follows suit with flavors of tomato juice, brine, V8-like spices and a splash of tobasco in the aftertaste. Brine reminds me of the ocean. Tastes like salty, fishy, tomato ass. Still not getting any beer. Spritzy carbonation, medium-low body, budweiser mouthfeel. Spice lingers after I swallow. I cringe at the thought of drinking this again.

2.07/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.05/5  rDev +1%

2.05/5  rDev +1%

a: poured out of a pint can into a normal beer mug, pours a grapefruity red color with about a half inch of very fizzy red head that dissapears as quickly as a soda pop, a ring of lace appears around the edge of the glass
s: tomatoe juice aroma, tabasco, slight sweet/ salty malt aroma
t: hints of bud but a strong taste of tomoato juice and hints of tabasco, deffinatly comparable to a bloody mary
m: medium bodied beer with very little sharp carbonation

overall, i will not drink this again

2.02/5  rDev -0.5%

Alright, curiosity finally got the best of me, and I had to try this, and then Zorro made me feel compelled to reiew it. I bought this at the local market for a thirst quencher at the beach.
It poured a lite red, pink color like grapefruit juice, but smelled like balls and feet.
I really like bloody mary's and I actually enjoy a Budweiser here and again. I feel that Bud actually has a taste as compared to MGD or Natty, but definitely not one of my favorites. The taste was pretty much what I expected. A Bloody Mary with beer instead of Vodka. Maybe if it were a better beer like a decent pilsner or good lager, this would have worked better. Mouthfeel was a bit thick, tomato-ey, and the Clamato is definitely prevelant. Drinkability sucks. It took me over an hour to finish a 24 oz can.
Overall, based on this review, this beer sucks to me. But I actually kind of enjoyed the experience. As a matter of fact I bought another can the next day, and am thinking about picking one up for the beach today. Oh, by the way, this stuff is flying off the shelves around here, so A-B sure has peaked the interest of consumers. Although I do live in Pismo and 5-Cities area which is predominately a Mexican community, so that may have something to do with it.
I say if you get the chance, pick up a can. Not something for everyone, or many for that matter, but it may be worth a try to some. May be your new guilty pleasure beer...

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

The only use for this beer is to cure a hangover

Pour: Very Bubbly and carbonated
Nose: Yeast, malt, tomato and spice
Taste: Tomatoey with hints of malt and yeast. No balance to this beer.
Body Thin and the mouthfeel is sloppy
Finish: Very Bitter
Overall: Had better tomato beer than this. Awful, not tasty

1.98/5  rDev -2.5%

I'll admit it, I do like a red beer now and then, but this one pretty much fails, mostly because I'm not a big fan of Clamato, I usually just use V8 and Budweiser, with some salt and Frank's Red Hot and they taste much better than this.

Pours a light red or pink color, thin pink head. A tad cloudy.

Smelled like tomato juice, with a sort of fermented fish on the back end, which I assume to be the "clam".

Tasted like the smell, a watery tomato juice with a slightly salty rotten clam aftertaste. That's why I don't like Clamato juice, maybe if fresh clam juice was used I would enjoy the Tomato juice/Clam juice mix, but it just doesn't work in Clamato.

I'll stick to my own concoction for red beers. This fails.

1.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Appears...pinkish red, fizzy in a bad way

Smells...mostly like tomato, a little like clam. Not a lot of beer smell. Maybe like dirty tomato juice.

Tastes...overpoweringly salty. Aside from the salt, I have to say it was not as bad as I expected. It tasted very much like a premixed, weak bloody mary. Tasted almost nothing like beer.

Mouthfeel...is like neither beer nor clamato juice. Not awful, but in no way beer-like.

Drinkability...is hurt by the saltiness, but otherwise is light and refreshing if it's very cold. I didn't finish the 24 oz can, but neither would I have finished a 24 oz Bud or a 24 oz Clamato juice.

Honestly, I bought this because it looked gross. It was ultimately not really that gross, though I don't see it being successful with the craft brew crowd. Worth a shot if you already like Bud and want a little spice, but don't want to step up to trying microbrews.

In sum, if the can looks good to you then you'll probably love it. If it looks bad to you, then pass.

1.89/5  rDev -6.9%

Uggh. Intensely repulsive. I understand that someone likes this, but who? It's a combination of mildly peppery and spicy clamato juice and beer. The fishy smell is repulsive, and the tomato doesn't help the flavor. But who can fault the beer? If A-B hadn't mixed it, the people who drink this stuff would have done it themselves!!! Ahghghhhh... it gives me shivers just thinking about it. I really don't think I could learn to drink this even if I was on a deserted island. But that's just me. So how do you judge this? I'm going to have to go with quickly!!!

1.89/5  rDev -6.9%

A –Pours the color of neon-ruby red grapefruit juice… complete with pulp. White head disappears almost instantly.

S – Salsa-like with tomato, pepper, and cilantro. Not a bad thing in and of itself, but to compare this in an honest light (i.e. for a beer that's supposed to have tomato juice in it), the tomato aroma is relatively flat, and more acid than fresh. Interestingly, the more I smell this the more I think the spice note could have actually saved the nose - if they really cranked it up with fresh horseradish or something it could have actually have been pretty interesting. Unfortunately the spice falls flat as well.

T – Salt and V-8 tomato juice, with a touch of black pepper. Honestly, the opening is palatable; it’s basically just a cheap bloody marry. The backend is horrid though, as a wave of sourness ushers in an ocean water finish.

M – Overly carbonated with medium body. It takes a moment before you realize that there are chunks of… something… throughout the drink. Clawing saltiness on the finish.

O – Parts of this aren’t as atrocious as I thought, but the downsides are crushing. If I had to describe this beer in a sentence, I’d say it was an aggressively carbonated, under flavored, and harshly overly salted, bloody marry.

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch