Budweiser & Clamato Chelada | Anheuser-Busch

anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Zorro on 06-24-2007

3.25/5  rDev +60.9%

I have had many "red" beers I have mixed myself so somebody elses mixture in a can is intrigueing. Poured into a schooner and the color is ...well...red. The smell is tomato and peppery spice. The mouthfeel is good. This red beer seems to have a higher viscosity than one mixed myself. Dare I say the sliminess is due to the clam juice. Taste is good beer followed by tomato and pepper. Spicy to taste but not too spicy. The lime kind of comes through in the end. This is a grreat idea. Not an everyday beer, but when you want or need a red brew its nice to pick one up that is ready to go.

3.24/5  rDev +60.4%

3.23/5  rDev +59.9%

Honestly surprised the bros haven't tried this one.

There are notes of tomato juice, and beer. and what else could anyone ask for?

Totally refreshing. One of the few flavors I crave

3.22/5  rDev +59.4%

As a seasoned Michelada drinker, this really was no big surprise. Try ordering one at a Mexican restaurant sometime. This wasn't really as godawful as I was expecting, though i've had far better at restaurants and mixed at home. Better ingredients (ie, Bohemia or Dos Equis Amber) make a better "beer cocktail" for sure. Rating as a "beer cocktail" and not so much as a beer.

Poured out into a 22 oz. mug, best served ice cold or over ice. The color was an electric pink, identical to Hawaiian punch. There was an angry mass of large and filmy pond scum bubbles on the surface, and their movement reminded me of a mad colony of hornets or pulsating maggots from a nature show. A gritty film coats the rim of the glass, with chunky sediment floating in it. Pretty nasty.

Smells and tastes like seasoned tomato juice or V8 with a vague undercurrent of dull beer. Since I like tomato juice, this smells appetizing enough to me. It does not taste like spoiled fish, rotting clams, or any other bizarre lurid descriptor one could muster.

The tomato juice of the Clamato dominates, and let's face it, it has more flavor than Bud. Tomatoes have acidity, perfectly natural. There is a tingling peppery taste similar to Maggi seasoning in the back, and there's some lingering savory saltiness. Thankfully the spicy tomato juice steamrolls the insipid beer. Unfortunately it has about as much carbonation as tomato juice too.

It's actually refreshing if you can get over mixing Clamato/V8 and a macro lager. This is the solution for all those crappy beers leftover from that party last weekend, just mix with Clamato or V8, lime, & Cholula and enjoy!

3.2/5  rDev +58.4%

I tried this concoction after mowing my yard last weekend. Last time I was a fan of Bud was when I was a kid; so much for palate back in those days (zero). Anyway, my son has been bringing these home and, being a bloody mary fan, I decided to give one a try. Boy, I was pleasantly surprised! I found it to be quite refreshing and not nearly as bad as I've been hearing. I see by some of the reviews here that it's not thought of very highly, but come on! We're not talking about craft beer here, folks. For what it is, it not that bad at all. A bit steep at $3.40 a can, but I'll be having another.

3.18/5  rDev +57.4%

Seriously, you guys rating Chelada like its some kinda craft brew. Get over yourselves. It's friggin Budweiser and Clamato for Christ's sake!

First let's get a few things straight: Chelada is drunk only on swelteringly hot days. If you already took two showers today and you are just barely fending off the swamp ass, now THAT's a perfect day for a Chelada. I don't care if you drink it outta a frozen beer glass (good), an elegant champagne flute (better) or right out of the can (best, and good for mopping sweaty brow), it had damn well better be ice cold!

Here's the review: It tastes like Bud with Clamato. If you don't like those things, why on earth are you drinking Chelada? Go order yourself a burly man beer.

If you are lucky enough to live near an Hispanic community (Tip: No beer cocktail can beat into submission spicy authentic Mexican dishes like Chelada), your retailer may carry the Lime & Salt variety. Just consider yourself blessed.

Oh, one other thing. How many Cheladas should you have?

Martini lovers will know the answer: "There's nothing quite like your first sip of your second Martini."

Beer snobs can go smoke some hops. Anyone who loves food, drink and regional/ethnic delights, go find yourself a cold fridge and see if there's a Chelada in there!

3.14/5  rDev +55.4%

It was way better than expected. Not quite a "red" beer. Color is similar to watermellon juice; kind of pink. Soda pop foam when poured with no head or lace. Very pronounced Clamato aroma - fishy and tomatoey.. Ditto with the flavor. Not that bad, though, really. Actually I like it much better than a shandy. Wonder how it'd be using a weiss beer as a base instead of macro lagar. The Clamato totally dominates the Bud. Got it at a quick mart in North Miami Beach. Has almost no beer character. As far as being a great beer, the can says "drink alone or as a mixer". Read into that as you wish.

3.1/5  rDev +53.5%

The first time I saw this it was like God Almighty....what kinda crap has Bud come up with now? I'll not elaborate much here because I don't know how to desribe it except that it tastes like Bud/Clamato/Lime/salt. That hot, throat parched day that I decided to try it, I actually liked it enough that I bought it 2 or 3 more times.

All I've gotta say, if you have ever liked red beer, is try it... you too may find it odly refreshing. It is, IMHO, much better than the crap Miller is trying pass off as a Chelada sytle.

Edit: I probably should have given this lower marks on smell and appearance (esp), it doesn't look that appetizing.

3.1/5  rDev +53.5%

Graciously donated at a recent bottle share in Portland. Was told by the lucky owner that he'd had this particular can for a couple of years.

What struck me the most about the serving format for this beer, is that it came in a 25 ounce can. I didn't find this beer to be nearly as horrendous as I was expecting, but even so, I can't imagine any circumstance where I'd want to drink 25 ounces of this stuff.

The beer pours a pinkish red color with no head and no lacing. Frankly, it looks (and for that matters tastes) like a somewhat watered down glass of V8 juice. So yeah, the beer looks pretty bizarre, but I guess that's no surprise.

On the nose, this wasn't really all that bad. Once again, the beer smells like tomatoe/V8 juice, with some noticable light clam juice, celery salt and maybe some lime. Again, obviously these aren't aromas I normally associate with beer, but it wasn't awful.

The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, and one thing I really liked about this beer, is that there was absolutely no sign of the base beer (not that I drink bud all that often, but there really wasn't much of an underlying beer flavor to this stuff). Otherwise, I got some V8, claim juice, more celery salt and even some light heat from what tasted like either chili peppers or horseradish. It really wasn't too bad. You can barely tell there's some alcohol in this beer, but it's pretty well disguised actually, and blends in quite well with the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, and the beer didn't seem to have much carbonation (not sure if that's on purpose, or if the two years in can had something to do with that). However, the finish is fairly smooth, and it wasn't too difficult to drink (though again, it's pretty hard to imagine drinking a whole lot of this).

The biggest criticism I would make of this stuff, is that it really doesn't taste like it has anything in common with beer. I'll take the manufacturers word for it that there is some bud in this stuff, but I sure didn't pick it up on nose or palate. Also, while I might not want to drink this stuff, I can think of a number of uses I could make of this stuff for cooking (would go great in chili or in a red pasta sauce I think).

Another example of why it's always good to keep an open mind when sampling something new or outside one's experience. I thought this would be flat out awful, but it really wasn't. Really enjoyed the opportunity to try this at long last.

3.09/5  rDev +53%

Great morning beer or hangover helper. pretty rough otherwise. Spicy tomato juice and a background of cheap beer makes this one go to the bottom but like I said, the morning after cure to get you going again !!

3.09/5  rDev +53%

I like this version a lot better than Bud light

3.02/5  rDev +49.5%

After drinking so many good beers lately, I was forced to go slumming down the canned BMC section of Kroger's for an upcoming camping trip. Then I spied this repulsive sounding beer.

This beer has a sickly orange pink glow to it. Strange pink head that dissipates quickly. Quite a bit of tomato floaties.

Aroma is tomatoes, not much else.

This beer tastes like a decent Bloody Mary. Some peppery spices , a hint of lime , very salty.

Mouthfeel is about what I'd expect?? A little too carbonated.

I'll probably drink more of these, most likely in the morning. Maybe a little pricey considering the ingredients.

Never had this one either and also sampled last night on 8/18/14. This one came in a 25 ounce can for $2.39. Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a vintage "Budwesier' thumb print glass goblet that I bought for 59 cents about a mont ago at the local Salvation Army Store in 'like-new' condition.

Pours a pinkish-red in color with no head to speak of and no lacing to mention either. The aroma is would be expected and is of 'beer and tomato juice'. More going on with the taste as you can taste the lime and salt in the mix also. A little tangy on the tongue. Not as bad as i did except but not a great one either. It is different.

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch