Budweiser & Clamato Chelada | Anheuser-Busch

anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Zorro on 06-24-2007

1.17/5  rDev -43.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

1.18/5  rDev -42.7%

What the hell just happened? First, I poured this V8 colored beverage into a glass, and it made a little bit of a head that I imagine that Hawaiian Punch would make if it were carbonated, and it disappeared as quickly. As I look down into my beer now (beer if you can call it that) I see little floating things that are the color the head was, I don't know what they are.
It separated like old vegetable juice does with a dark part at the bottom and light at the top. In all honesty it smells like tomato juice and blood. No kidding, it has the iron aroma of blood. At first this sound like a good thing because you can tell your friends that you're manly enough to drink blood, but in truth I have ha busted lips that taste better than this.
How did this make it past product testing, let alone all the way to East Tennessee? Granted, my friend brought this particular can from Texas, but this product can be had at local Wal Marts here. I really can't bring myself to finish my half of the rather large can that it came in. I was drinking Mickey's before this on this particular evening, and while it's not that great, it's going to taste like Cheatu Latour compared to the Chelada when I switch back... now.

1.19/5  rDev -42.2%

drabmuh pulled this one out and slapped this motherfucker down on his bar like he meant business. If he were not such an intimidating man that grinned ominously at myself and Mr. Huhzubendah while he cracked this 24oz monster, I would have pulled a Jenny from Forest Gump and prayed to thine Lord to make me a bird so that I could fly far far away.

This review is going to be pretty straight forward. Humor me for a moment and imagine that you combined Budweiser, tomato juice and clam juice into a 24oz can and named it Budweiser Chelada. Now imagine that for some goddamn reason that the world's largest brewer actually did this. This my friends in my reality as I am about to sample this nectar.

Poured into....does this really matter? I actually feel bad for whatever glass in my collection that I used to sample this beverage. I will make it up to if you let me drink from you again.

Looks like someone splashed some marco-lager in some V8. Not the worst looking thing, but this looks more like a cocktail than a beer.

Smell is right on par with what you would imagine these 3 storied liquids in once vessel to smell like. Unlike Huhzubendah, I'm not the most cultured man of life, but I think of myself as somewhat open minded. Perhaps in some region of life this is an enjoyed beverage by a cluster of beer lovers gathered in someone home, but right now in Hyatsville, MD, this beer is not getting much love in the front bar of drabmuh's home.

Taste is unsettling at best as Budweiser is the most enjoyable portion of the flavor profile. The tomato is certainly there, but surprisingly it is doing nothing positive in this concoction. Now we get to the main event...what the people really want to know about...the clam juice. As startling as it may be, the addition of clam juice into this bitch is even more revolting than I could have even imagined. Just thinking about how old this juice is and where it could have possibly come from is making me wish that my parents would have been able to utilize one of the many technologically and medically advanced forms of birth control such as pulling out.

This is thick as fuck and a drinkable as the computer on which I type this beautiful prose.

Certainly a milestone, but one that should be enjoyed with extreme caution unless you are already a fan of this particular style of adult beverage.

1.2/5  rDev -41.7%

I would say that this is the worst beer I've ever had... if I could even call it a beer. It tastes similar to V8 juice. It's a fiasco in a can. I can't even believe they are bottling this.

It's full of salt, too! The crappy taste lingers in your mouth, too. It's like roadkill.

1.24/5  rDev -39.8%

Oh, dear. I never thought I'd have the "privilege" to review this, but after my friend and I had put off tasting this (or pranking some friends with it) as a joke purchase, we decided to crack it open once and for all, after "aging" it for 8 months. I made sure to spin the can around to get the gleeful addition of Clamato residue throughout the whole pour. Poured out of a 500ml can into a tulip glass.

Looks really watery, and easily resembles the coloration of tomatoes after you've squeezed out all the juice possible from them. In other words, pinkish, slightly pale (straw), cloudy, and very unappetizing in nature. There was a surprisingly high amount of head that went with this, but it faded extremely rapidly in a seltzer-like watery manner. It doesn't really look very good. I'd give it a higher score but its look almost prevented me from going on.

While the smell has been heavily criticized by others, it actually isn't too bad in my view. It smells a lot like a gazpacho, which I enjoy. Notes of tomatoes, cilantro, celery, basil, lemon, and a slight saltiness. No fishy smell, no artificial feel, or any off-notes overall for that matter. Maybe the near year of aging has settled things overall? It's not great, but it perhaps won't cause any natural decay of any living beings that approach it just yet.

The flavor just might, however. This is awful. Notes of slimy tomatoes, old celery and cilantro, as well as a pervasive onion and garlic aroma that melds with a slightly salty, briny texture that must be from the clams. At first it wasn't so horrible, but then the aftertaste contained a mildly skunky, sulfurous note from the adjuncts, as well as a gritty, grainy flavor that melds with the briny qualities to horrific results. I took perhaps three sips before I started to gag. Thin, spritzy, with a texture that is pretty much the *opposite* reason why anyone would drink beer. This made me very sad.

I knew this would be horrible, but it's honestly an offensive tribute to Mexican micheladas, which are rather good, depending on how you make them. I've no clue who InBev was trying to cater to with this other than those that don't like beer, those who are okay with a dumbed down version of a michelada, and woeful sado-masochists such as myself. NOT FOR FANS OF BEER!

1.26/5  rDev -38.8%

I gotta admit. I have the lowest of expectations for this 'beer.' I wasn't even planning on trying it. This beer became the 'stakes' of a bet between my brother and I. Loser had to consume a 24oz can over the span of an hour. He lost. But feeling sort of bad for him, I told him I'd try a bit to relieve his burden. Here goes...

Pours an murky pinkish red with a big 2-finger head on top. This disappears quicker than I can say 'tomato juice.' It looks like grapefruit juice. Too bad it tastes nothing like that. Smells like celery and vomit. Serious horridness going on here. It's like a rabbit puked in my glass after an afternoon in my garden. Gross.

The mouth is spritzy and bubbly. Thank goodness for that. If this was mellow and flat, I would purge. At least it feels alright. Flavor is of watered-down tomato soup, celery, and the faintest of grains. This is just all-out horrible. I will never, ever again allow this to get into my digestive system...unless I lose the next bet.

1.28/5  rDev -37.9%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Roman numeral X during Swill Tour 2010. I imagine a sinister robotic voice spouting the name of this beer every time I take a sip. It pours a cloudy, precipitate-filled fruit punch with a short-lived sudsy head. Mike: "There's a light one! Wasn't one enough, you masochistic fuck!?" Nope. The pain must be eternal, Hellraiser style. Pinhead is a decent substitute for a sinister robot. As it's taken down, a snail's slime trail is left on the glass. The nose comprises Tabasco, vomit, bad marinara sauce, and Ginger blood (I think it's the soullessness). The taste is definitely salty, with some horrible cocktail sauce leavings left over. There is no beer here, just like there is no glimmer of heaven's light in sight after drinking it. Lord. The body is kinda light, kinda heavy, with a light carbonation and a slimy feel. Kill me. AKA give me more of this.

1.29/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

1.29/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

It smells and tastes like carbonated V8.

1.3/5  rDev -36.9%

I honestly have no interest whatsoever in tackling the bottom of the barrel list. However, some sick and twisted part of me suggested sharing this can with Matt and Paul after Matt said he was saving it for "Bad Beer Thursdays."

The color is a glowing red / orange, with a head that fades instantly, as if to say "I am getting the f*** out of here!"

Aroma: If tomato juice could write the short bus and misbehave the entire time, it would be Budweiser Chelada.

I feel like this so called beer would fare well on "Fear Factor". Perhaps this was brewed for the prisoners at Guantanamo Bay and served with every meal. There is absolutely no reason to drink this harsh, vile concoction of your own free will.

Mouthfeel = Ow! Please make it stop.

Overall: see mouthfeel.

Well, I can honestly say I've tried it. Never again.

1.31/5  rDev -36.4%

So, this is AB's version of the wonderful Mexican drink Michelada. I found this by the single 24 oz. tall boy can at the Harrisonburg, VA Sheetz for $2.29. Had to be purchased and shared with fellow BA's Ffejherb, SierraGs and Brewslut.

I have enjoyed Michelada along the Carribbean in Veracruz, Mexico so I do have experience with the drink.

A-Comes out reddish as expected but way to thin looking. More pinkish than red. A pinkish bubbly head starts promising and then vanishes like someone waved a magic wand over it and told it to disappear--no lacing whatsoever.

S-To quote Brewslut--"I have smelled vomit that was better than this"! Reminded me of being along the Delaware Bayshore on a hot, late spring day during horseshoe crab spawning and deeply inhaling the wafting odor of thousands of decomposing crab carcasses.

T-Only a slight improvement over the aroma. This is WAY to bland and watery to be considered a real Michelada. Basically no flavour until the end and aftertaste when the Clamato takes over and leaves you with an oddly disturbing "fishy" taste.

M-Almost none. Thin, carbonated water spritzy and a little lingering spice and clam tatste. No richness, zip or tanginess at all.

D-Are there people out there that actually like this? If there are I would love to meet one and ask WHY and or HOW! This is way off. Real Mexicans would never drink this and think of home! Who at AB thought this would be a good idea? Once again AB takes something of a classic and ruins it for the masses scaring people for ever in thinking that this is what a Michelada is supposed to be like.

For some perspective here are two REAL recipes that I found....

Ingredients:
*12 oz. Mexican Beer, non-dark, (Corona, Dos XX....)
*6 oz Motts Clamato
*2 dashes of premium worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins)
*2 dashes Tabasco brand hot sauce
*juice from 2 non-yellow key limes
*1 pinch coarse ground black pepper (Mcormick or from a pepper grinder)
*1 pinch sea salt

Mix all the ingredients except the beer into a shaker and shake briefly. Pour Clamato mix simoultaneously with beer into a 22 oz pilsner glass with a little ice. Watch out because if you pour to fast it will foam up. Rimming the glass with celery salt is optional.

Add vodka if desired. Cant taste it but it helps the alcohol content!

Recipe from Cancun

Ingredients:
*12 oz. Mexican Beer, non-dark, (Negro Modelo or Corona)
*2 dashes of Jugo Sazonador (Maggi) "This is the key to a REAL Michelada"
*2 dashes of premium Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins)
*2 dashes Tabasco brand hot sauce (add more if you like it spicy)
*juice from 2 non-yellow key limes (Very important)

Mix all the ingredients except the beer into a beer glass, stir well, and add a few ice cubes. Rimming the glass with celery salt is optional, but adds to authenticity.

1.35/5  rDev -34.5%

Being the adventurous sort, I'll try any beer once. Give it it's fair shake so to speak. Here is an honest assessment.

Don't. Just plain don't. Leave it on the shelf, back away slowly and avoid eye contact.

It poured a murky reddish/grapefruit color and was initially appealing to the eye. When brought to the nose it smelled of beer and clamato as expected. The initial mouthful was perplexing. The carbonation was spritely, and felt good, but the flavor of the concoction was not jiving with the initial sniff. I have no way to describe the dismay I felt as soon as it passed my lips. I soldiered on and finished anyway. Three cans remained, and I was determined to not let my first impression be clouded by the psychological effect Chelada had on me.

Over the course of the next week, I had one can every other day allowing my palate to recover. Each sip was as terrible as the first from can one through can four. This one is a definative low in my book. I give this one a ne'er again and leave it in my wake.

Slainte!

1.36/5  rDev -34%

I'm sorry but this was the single worst beer I've ever had. Upon one sip it engaged my gag reflex and I began to choke. The rest was poured down the drain. Tastes like liquid Spaghetti O' s mixed with Bud Light. This started as a joke but it made me nauseous and the joke was over.

1.36/5  rDev -34%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I obtained this unholy concoction after seeing it sitting rather innocuously in the fridge at my local Beerporium. I know now that I had fallen into an elaborate trap to traumatize my tastebuds and possibly get rid of some ancient Campbell's tomato soup that was taking up space somewhere around the Budweiser factory. If you are thinking of picking up this beer, there is an important question to ask yourself. Say, "Self, have I ever had the craving to put some pretty mediocre beer into old tomato soup and then add clam byproducts and a half a pound of salt?". If you answered yes to that, seek help. If you answered no but are still curious, I have braved this demon solution and possibly lived to tell the tale. The beer poured a pinkish red with a large pink head. It visually reminds me of a cranberry gingerale I had once. Any similarities between this demon brew and a beverage end there. The smell is of tomatoes and clams, with a hint of what may be beer in the background. Since I don't normally mix seafood and fruits with my beer, this smell was not entirely appealing. The taste is tomato and humdrum beer followed by a clammy taste that is mercifully killed fairly quickly by the judicious amount of salt that was likely included in the beer to kill off any potentially lethal pathogens. The mouthfeel is like watered down carbonated tomato soup, and it's about as drinkable as you would expect watered down carbonated tomato soup to be. Since there are sober kids in Africa, I will down the rest of this beer. Let this review be my last will and testament if I don't survive the ordeal.

1.39/5  rDev -32.5%