Budweiser & Clamato Chelada | Anheuser-Busch

anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Zorro on 06-24-2007

1.45/5  rDev -29.6%

So after reading a few reviews I decided to give this a try...big mistake

First of all, a tall boy will run you about $2.50
Secondly, the can says 'con sal y limon' aka with salt and lemon' which is complete bullshit
A: Looked exactly like tomato soup...honestly it looked better after I threw it into the intracoastal...even then, in brown ocean water mind you, it left a red trail

S: Salsa, tomato soup, salt...anything but beer in the nose

T: I kid you not, this beer literally tastes like tomato soup...if you are sick, pour out this can in a bowl, microwave it, and dip some saltines in it

MF: Very thick, slimy

D: Not a chance

Overall, this beer should not be called beer...the label and ingredients are completely misleading. I am now scared after drinking this beer resulting in a phobia of AB beers that are marketed as 'refreshing' or in spanish

1.45/5  rDev -29.6%

24oz. can purchased at a Sheetz in VA on the first day of our annual Thanksgiving weekend beer trek. Thanks to Deuane for sharing... I guess!

A - Poured a hazy pinkish, watermelon-colored body with the quickest disappearing bubbly white head I've ever seen. Quite effervescent with huge bubbles of carbonation swimming to the top of the glass.

S - Hmmmm... smells like a clam bake with a hint of tomato juice and vomit. Seriously, the vomit aroma is reminiscent of a sour burp (aka puke burp).

T - Tastes like clam chowder with a tomato-based broth and salty meat. The clam flavor really lingers. I can't believe I'm saying this, but this could use more tomato flavor and less Bud flavor. There is virtually no hop bitterness, although it kind of reminds me when you swallow ocean water.

M - Thin, moderately carbonated body with a watery texture, but still kind of slick from the addition of the clamato juice. Mouthfeel is also a bit coarse from the salt.

D - Perhaps this beer would work well with a tomato-based soup or seafood, but I can't fathom why anyone would combine these ingredients. This beer answers the question: How can you make Bud taste even worse?

Brewslut's Quote of the Day:
"I've smelled vomit that smelled better than this."

1.46/5  rDev -29.1%

Budweiser=Terrible
Clam Juice= Terrible
Tomato Juice= Terrible

This can't end good. So what I gather from talking to a few people, this is similar to the bloody mary to cure a hangover thing. Unfortunately, I'll be drinking this as my first beer of the day in the early afternoon.

I refuse to taint my glasses with this mess, so I will be drinking this directly from the 24 oz can it comes in. Thus, the appearance will receive a 3 to be fair. I would do the same for the aroma, but as soon as I crack the can, the stench emitting from it is overpowering. I'll put it like this, after taking a sip, my wife refused to kiss me and told me to go brush my teeth first.

As I take my first sip, I remind myself to remain objective despite my prior assumptions of the beer. Didn't take long for the preconceived notion to come to fruition though. This is going to take awhile to get down.

All I'm getting is clamato. I ask myself maybe I was supposed to shake it. I examine the can and see "Ino Agite! Do not Shake. Rotate gently to mix" DOH!! Can't rotate it gently now so I pour it into one of those cheap plastic cup you get as souvenirs from places. There is all kinds of shit floating in this. Bits of tomato and clam? I just threw up in my mouth a little.

It also smells worse now. The can actually did it justice. Kept the aroma back and hid all the shit suspended in it.

Pouring it into the cup did let some of the Budweiser come through, but clamato still dominates. This shit sucks. I told myself I would finish it no matter what, but this is gonna be tough.

This beer is terrible. Ticker or not, I'd try to avoid this one if I were you.

1.48/5  rDev -28.2%

Shared with ShanePB a few weeks ago. Had side to side with Chelada light.

Going to stray from my usual review format for this one. This beer was extremely similar to the light version (see review), except that it was a bit more pungent. The aroma was a bit stronger and spicier, as was the flavor profile.

This beer tastes like over salted, watery tomato juice with pepper and horseradish thrown in. Does not resemble a beer at all.

1.48/5  rDev -28.2%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a cloudy rose color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mostly of tomato's and not so good. Taste is well, I'm finding it hard to find the words to describe it. Putrid comes to mind. Feels disgusting in the mouth. I would like to congradulate Anheuser-Busch for brewing my first ever drain pour.

1.5/5  rDev -27.2%

Tomato juice has never crossed my lips. Neither has V-8. Nor clams. Nor clam juice. I have had Budweiser a few times and was... 'thoroughly disgusted' gets it about right. The clam juice, however, is what's making me more apprehensive about drinking this stuff than any beer (or beer-like beverage) that I've ever imbibed. That said, this review of Budweiser Chelada will be conducted with an open mind.

Murky coral that could also be described as pinkish orange. The head (hurry, before it's gone!) is pale pink and has an odd texture that resembles cotton candy. It falls to a thin film in less than a minute, is gone shortly after, and leaves the glass covered with a slimy film. Gotta be the clam juice. What the hell have I gotten myself into?

Chelda smells nothing like beer. Not even close. It smells like watery crushed tomatoes and celery salt. There's also a faint fishiness that is, thankfully, so subtle that I am no longer afraid to tip the glass up. Well, not much anyway. No lime is noted.

After the smallest sip possible... it isn't completely revolting. Nor is it enjoyable, but at least I'll be able to get it down (and, hopefully, keep it down) for the purposes of this review. Again, this concoction tastes nothing at all like beer.

A-B, Inc. doesn't list the milligrams of sodium on the can. Probably because they're sky-high. Again, watery tomatoes lead the way, with the same background fishiness that is found in the nose. Please don't make me drink any more looking for flavor nuances.

The body/mouthfeel is light with an underlying slick sliminess that is unpleasant. At least the carbonation isn't fizzing up the joint. It's probably unavoidable given the ingredients, but the mouthfeel is limiting my drinking more than the flavor.

In the end, Budweiser Chelada is pretty much what was expected. More power to those who brew it and to those who enjoy it, but I'm going to try to forget this experience as quickly and as completely as humanly possible.

1.51/5  rDev -26.7%

Just recently moved out to LA and this seems to be pretty popular out here, especially among the Hispanic population. A lot of my coworkers say that they drink this so I thought I'd give it a try. Surprisingly cheap.

Poured from the 24oz can into a large mug.

A: The beer is a pure cloudy red with a tannish 2.5 finger head with pretty poor retention. I've never seen anything like this before. Strange coloration, but is actually exactly what you would expect tomato juice poured into beer to look like.

S: You can smell this on more than a foot away from the glass. Classic Budweiser smell of grain and corn first, but then comes the lime juice and then a hint of salty briny seawater, and last an overly sweet and peppery tomato-y fruity character that is not only fake, but smells like something you would regurgitate at the end of a rough night.

T: Tomato isn't actually as huge as I thought but it's a definite presence. Much more corn and lime and grain. It's very sickeningly sweet. Almost syrupy. Awful.

I will never drink this again but I guess it was good for the experience. Wow, what an experiment. It would be ok maybe if you made one of these yourself with natural ingredients, but this was just plain bad.

1.53/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This literally tastes like ketchup flavored seltzer. Has a spiciness on the finish that stays on the back of your tongue. Watery mouthfeel but carbonation is very much there. It's just weird. Not surprised this kind of thing is popular in Canada where ketchup flavored chips are also found.

1.53/5  rDev -25.7%

I'm glad I didn't pay for this one. My father-in-law had it in the fridge, so I thought I would give it a try. My initial thought is that your enjoyment of this beer will be more on whether you like tomato juice, rather than if you like beer.

A - Grapefruit red, actually rather pleasant on the eyes. Fizzy head that dissipates as quick as you pour. Zero lacing. Flaky bits of red float throughout.

S - Tomato dominates, obviously.

T - Sweet tomatoes, very strong at the beginning. Next, comes the salt and pepper. The beer ends with the smallest of small hint of beer. A very odd combination. Again if you like tomato juice (I can do without), this one might agree with you. Otherwise, leave it.

M - Blah

D - I drank half of my glass and was done. Why waste the calories.

1.54/5  rDev -25.2%

Super cloudy red with chunks of tomato. The head was super fizzy and disappeared almost immediately, leaving zero lace.

Smell is extremely heavily tomato, with heavy lime and a good portion of cardboard box.

Taste is super spicy, peppery with tons of clamato and a slightly sweet tomato paste finish.

Body is watery and poor, with almost an after-burn from the spices.

I've had the chelada light, and it's much better. However, they're both still bad, and bud regular chelada is a near drainpour unless you're out of money, too drunk to go to the store, or have no tastebuds.

1.54/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Starts with super thick head with large bubbles that disappears in about 5 secs. Smells like tomato juice with just a hint of beer. Tastes like tomato juice and goes down like an adjunct, but burns going down throat. This is only slightly better than Bud Light & Clamato. Only reason I'm gonna finish it is because I hate to throw out beer.

1.55/5  rDev -24.8%

Gross. This beer was kind of orange and hazy, reddish maybe, no head, big bubble carbonation, no head, no lacing, looked gross.

Aroma was salty, the way the ocean is salty, smelled like seaweed.

Beer is thin and salty with this seafood flavor that is nearly intolerable. The lime comes up later, undrinkable. One of the worse beers I've ever had.

Side bar: When I poured the remainder of the can out, it got darker, there were no instructions to shake the can before serving, I think the majority of tomato juice settled out.

1.56/5  rDev -24.3%

Reviewed in the Blind Beer BIF. 24oz can poured into a MBC glass

A:  Dark peach/puke color with a head that is gone before I could even measure it.  Couldn't even get any back with a swirl. No lace (2)

S:  Oh dear god.  It's like a Bloody Mary with a can of tuna juice dropped in.  Or wait, spaghettios! Regardless, since this is beer, it's flat out awful (1)

T: Carbonated bloody Mary and/or liquid spaghettios.  To replacate this beer, put some spaghettios in a blender and add seltzer and BOOM... you have this beer.  Just repulsive (2)

M:  Ummm, uber thin with decent amount of carb (2)

D: Tuuuuribbble.  Would never buy this.  Shouldn't be considered beer. Only drank about 4oz before drainpouring. Offered to other people at my apartment and they also passed (1)

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch