Love Belgian Beer?

Missouri, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Zorro on 06-24-2007

Reviews: 162 | Ratings: 312

I tried this...whatever it is, on a stupid dare. I rank this somewhere between MD40 and Night Train. It's what you buy when you absolutely want/need to punish yourself and/or your tastebuds. If you only have a few dollars in your pocket and absolutely need a drink, Steel Reserve is a safer bet.

Ok, let me start off by saying I'm not a religious man. But this beer has made me believe that Satan is very real. I don't even know where to begin. Should I start with the atrocious excuse of a can design or the vomit inducing pungent smell? Whenever you open this literal sin to mankind I am convinced that the terrorist won if this this is even allowed to exist. Me and my friends were dumbfounded after tasting this. Is this a joke? Does this excuse of a beverage actually sell? Is this the one thing that slipped through the matrix? After taking a sip I felt like releasing the contents of my stomach and dying. I just don't know anymore.

I said the same thing about the Bud Light version - Worst... beer... ever.

We bought a can of this because it sounds so disgusting we were intrigued. It didn't let us down. We had 9 people taste it and only one person liked it enough to finish the can for us (he's living in Montana and said "red beer" is often served at bars). This beer is the most disgusting beverage (let alone beer) I have tasted in a very long time.

Horrible. Just horrible. It looks like ruby red grapefruit juice. Zero head. Murky liquid with frightening floaties lurking in the depths. The aroma is mostly rotting vegetable matter with a light smack of clam. The flavor is fairly putrid. I've never had clamato, but I do like V-8. This is gross. I'm not sure what else to say about it. Well, I will say that Bud Chelada doesn't exactly belong on the same scale as a normal beer. It's not really possible to judge the brewing quality because it is very difficult to taste the beer. What I can judge is that the combination of this beer, Clamato, lime and salt is horrible.

I had the Bud Light Chelada and found it to be horrid. Could Budweiser Chelada be as bad?

Has a pinkish orange color with a practically non-existent head. Reminds me of the color of the chum used in the movie "Jaws". Smells vile. Clam juice, tomato juice, and cooked rice? This is not a good combination.

The taste is nothing to write home about. With the clam juice, I can't help but to compare it to the chum used in "Jaws". True, I never tasted or smelled chum, but could this be much different? The worse part about this is the clam and tomato combination. Who thought that was a good idea? The cooked rice is all to familiar from regular Bud. This is a disaster.

Mouthfeel? Drinkability? Who is kidding who? Just stay away from this mess.

1.02/5  rDev -49.3%

I had the Bud light version back in 2007. I decided to get the regular, just in case my taste has changed. I'm hoping for the best, but fearing for the worst. The picture will be in WBAYDN 1271.

Poured into a shot glass, just in case.

Pours light pink, the head was thick, but went away almost instantly. The nose is oh, god, why did I open this. putrid tomato, mixed with a bad fish smell, mixed with bad beer. Some chunks in the shot glass.

Taste: do I have to drink this? Ohhhhhh, yes I do, so it can be a proper review. The taste is putrid. Bad beer, bad tomato, bad clam juice. Oh, why do I want a beer style this badly? One sip was all I can take. No more. rest is a drain pour, and I feel bad for the drain.

1.03/5  rDev -48.8%

haven't opened it yet. reminding myself to keep an open mind, to be objective; though i must admit i'm slightly apprehensive. clam + tomato + bud? good lord. i have forged a tolerance for V8 over the years; maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised.

tallboy served in a standard pint glass.

pours a cloudy pink grapefruit-like tone with a finger of whitish head. very low retention - almost instantly dissipates; no lacing. little things floating it in. that's not too encouraging.

nose (i.e. strench) offers budweiser, vegetable juice, salty low tide, decay, and unrealized dreams. truly unappetizing. judging from the aroma this might be appropriately served by the couple drowned in the ocean by leslie nielsen's character in the creepshow - turning them into zombies covered in seaweed. maybe the taste will be be an improvement.

sweet Jesus. oh momma. the taste! it's hard to describe, this flavor. it's like... if one were to drink V8, have a bud, chug down some sea water, eat clams, eat day-old roadkill, then vomit everything up and serve it in a pint glass. truly the most vile, nasty beverage - not merely beer, but BEVERAGE - i've ever had the misfortune to consume. can't speak to the finish as my gag relex kicked in; had to shove past my wife en route to the sink and violently expel the atrocity from my marred palate.

thin, unimpressive mouthfeel. drinkability couldn't be worse. to me the premise here amounts to the Frankenstein of beer: good intentions, good parts coming together and going horribly, horribly wrong. strike that... clam juice is not a good part. well, i guess this just isn't for me.

1.03/5  rDev -48.8%

Ever since i heard of this, I just had to try it. I don't know, I'm a sucker for pain. Plus, I had an absolutely devastating meal at Roy Rogers and instead of having to run to the loo on separate occasions, I figured I'd combine the two. 16oz can into my 12oz snifter.

A: Pink grapefruit pour with a massive white head that recedes almost as fast as the head on a soda. There's shit floating around in the beer and this looks ominous. Swirling this leaves a bunch of vegetative sediment on the side of the glass

S: Someone threw an unripened tomato, a cucumber, some salt and pepper into a blender. Maybe if i take a deep breath, I could get some corn from the bud but heck, i'd be comatose by then. Positively revolting and I'm not exaggerating.

T: Sweet corn, tomato, salt, cucumber, onion. Fuck it, give me a V8 instead. This is *horrendous*, beats the Michelob Ultra Pomegranate Raspberry hands down

M: I'd tell you if i swished it around but I couldn't bring myself to.

D: Why would you do this? I mean why?

Notes: I'm going to contradict myself and say that you need to try this. Just make sure that as you pour this down the drain, you only have cold water running - any hot water causes the release of volatiles and nausea on inhalation.

1.03/5  rDev -48.8%

A big screw AKBelgianBeast for this one. It was part of my losings for the LNBA FF. And I've had the light version of this and I'm hating Frank in the worst way at the moment.

A- This beer is staring this evil stare at me, and it is making me feel very uncomfortable. It appears to be Satan's tears. This pinkish reddish fluid is not looking good.

S- Dear God! If only you can see me gag. I hate clamato juice so this one is just making me ready to vomit as is. There is a hint of beer with this foul clam tomato juice concoction.

T- Shit, I don't want to drink this. Seriously I should just pour this out and save my tastebuds from the low tide flavor to come. I'm actually having to psych myself up to drink this. Ok, deep breath and here we go. Up yours Frank. Why?!? Why?!?! Why did the AB company decide to blend tomato sauce with hooker poon tang? Was this beer brewed with vaginal yeast, and was the donor on the rag? This beer is horrid, if I could rate this there would be a minus score here. I literally almost blew chunks.

M- I was so focused on not vomiting, yet trying to taste the beer that I didn't get much of a mouthfeel.

D- Hell no, the only way you would think this is tasty and drinkable is if you are missing many teeth, get offended by Jeff Foxworthy redneck jokes, or are just from Montana.

1.03/5  rDev -48.8%

A: Pours a murky ruby red grapefruit juice like color with very little head that fades incredibly quickly. There is no foam on the beer after it settles and no lacing at all. It's a bit darker than the Bud-Light version.

S: Again, this beer smells terrible. It smells of tomato, salt, and pepper.

T: It tastes of mild tomato, lime, salt, and pepper. It also has a bit of a tart finish. I actually think it's worse than the Bud-Light version.

M: Light bodied beer. It's slimey, and there is a bit of an effervescent carbonation in the finish.

O: It's bad and it's really gross. It is definitely worse than the other version. The rest of the can is headed down the drain.

1.05/5  rDev -47.8%

Never had before, so I figured I'd try before I bash. Poured from a classy 24 oz. can, "beer" pours a hazy red color and has no head. Doesn't resemble a beer. The smell is a nasty mix of tomatoes, budweiser and sprite. The taste is terrible - makes me want to vomit. Mouthfeel is fairly viscous and has almost no carbonation. This is a complete drain pour for me. I hate tomatoe juice and if I had been smart enough to put "clamato" together I may have realized that this wasn't for me. I remember my dad telling me stories of mixing Colt 45 with V8 juice, I imagine he may like this - but I think it's horrible.

1.06/5  rDev -47.3%

Appearance. Pours a lightly rusty tomato-juice red with a little gold.

Smell. Canned tomato juice, celery, a little bit of beer smell that's reminicent of the drips that you get on your hand when you're collecting those beer cans from a party the night before.

Taste. Clamato juice with extra celery, lime juice, and sweet, terrible bmc lager.

Mouthfeel. Medium body with a soft grainy texture, somewhat sticky, and light + carbonation.

Overall. Truly putrid. I hate to be this negative in a review, and rarely am, but this stuff is vile. I thought I could handle this, being a Caesar fan on occasion, but a few sips of this tall boy was enough. I would advise to never buy this beer, even out of curiosity as was the case for me. A rating of 1 seems very generous here.

1.06/5  rDev -47.3%

With the amount of fizzy yellow and tomato red, you get that shade of pink you see on the sidewalks Sunday morning around bars and whatnot. Aroma is nasty, but if you really try you can try and isolate some tomato.

Taste is like bud light ketchup. Gross sweetness, shitty juice beer, lemon, pepper, gtfo with this nonsense.

One of the worst beers of all time. Utterly terrible in every way. You have no father.

1.06/5  rDev -47.3%

L:Light pink salmon color. What head there was is a white pinkish color. Very cloudy and very pink.
S:Smells like a salty runny tomato spaghetti sauce. Like a meaty spaghetti sauce that has gone rotten.
T:A dsiturbingly gross rotted meat. It taste like spaghetti sauce that has been watered down. A odd spice also lingers in my mouth.
M:Sharp fizz and really watery. To be honest, I could not keep it in my mouth long enough to get much of a good mouth feel.
D:Friggin awful. Absolutely the worst beer I have ever had. Poured out what was left.

1.08/5  rDev -46.3%

Only sampled a very small glass at a neighbors on Thanksgiving. Red and cloudy, like tomato soup with Sprite and milk mixed in.

Aroma is like concentrated Long Island Sound. Brine and spice with a distinct dead sea creature nuance.

Flavor is so bad I can scarsely describe it. Pain. Fear. Agony. This is what cancer tastes like.

Body is akin to tomato soup mixed with Diet Sprite. Filthy and undrinkable. This tastes like a terrorist plot.

1.09/5  rDev -45.8%

I wonder who came up with the idea for this one. Bud is constantly putting out some odd stuff -- trying to push the envelope down people's throat.
This stuff is just plain odd. Pours a strange red color with fizz? Strange. Smells of tomatoes and some spices. Tastes of tomatoes and some burnt grain. Mouthfeel is thin and strangely chunky. Drinkability -- there isn't really any.

1.1/5  rDev -45.3%

16 oz can from my local supermarket.

Pours a pinkish color with a pond scum-like film of a head. The bouquet is that of rotting clams, fish and moldy tomatoes. This smell sort of reminds me of a backing up garbage disposal. The taste is only slightly worse, besides rotten clams and rancid tomatoes; I get puke, and bile. The mouthfeel is greasy. This is definitely an acquired taste, one that transcends and redefines the word disgusting. God help AB (those great Belgian brewers).

1.1/5  rDev -45.3%

24 oz. can. Pours a watery orange-red color with no head. Aroma of tomato almost made me vomit. I was hesitant to drink, but had to give it a whirl. I'm not a big tomato juice fan, not a big Budweiser fan, and not a fan of this beer. Another reason not to fruit your beer.

1.12/5  rDev -44.3%

Pours a medium-red color that resembles that of a tomato. One-finger head fades into almost nothing.

Aroma is full of tomato, salt and typical adjunct lager flavors. Pretty much expected.

Taste is full of tomato, salt and adjuncts. Very odd, interesting flavor. Not a fan of tomato and that's what I'm getting from this.

Mouthfeel is full of remaining salt and tomato. Hardly anything of the actual beer in this.

Yuck. Absolutely horrible idea, period. At least I tried it but I don't think I can stomach any more of this vile beverage.

1.15/5  rDev -42.8%

Again with these lagers with the fake fruit flavors, do they not realize that this simply does not work. Poured cold and into a pint glass, consumed on 08/16/2010.

What have I gotten myself into as tomato juice pours out of my glass? No head, nothing just thick, dark red looking tomato juice. Ok....Aroma is light peppery, lots of tomato, and just odd. This is not a beer, should be taken off the site completely. I do not know what it is, nor do I ever care to find out. I took one sip and tasted some light spices and a thick almost clam and tomato mix and poured it. I take back my statement I made about the blue, this is the worst thing I have ever tasted. I would not have this one again if you paid me, a lot.

1.15/5  rDev -42.8%

Considering I couldn't find Morning Glory, Fou Foune or Pliny the Younger for my thousandth review, I thought I would do something a little different.

Pours a beautiful, hazy red with floating pureed tomato and little red chunks for texture. Can't tell if they are seeds or pieces of tomato skin. Either way, they are very appealing to the eye. Pink, fizzy, soda-like carbonation performs the most amazing disappearing act. Who wants head on their beer anyway?

Complex, delicate aroma of rotten tomatoes paired elegantly with sea salt and lime. Really brings out the strength and spiciness of the rotten fruit.

Flavor begins with savory sea salt quickly shifting into citric, tropical lime. Tomatoes come to life mid drink imparting wonderfully stale, earthy tones. Rich, vomit-like acidity adds a depth to the overall flavor. Subtle pepper spice brings the whole experience together. No malt or hop flavor detected but in a beer this good, who needs it?

Smooth and creamy, moderate body with lots of tiny bubbles bring each and every delectable flavor to the palate one at a time. Wonderful, grainy texture of tomato seeds. Finishes dry from the wealth of sea salt. Every smooth, refreshing sip makes my mouth water for more.

Overall, a stellar fruit beer which really showcases the potential of each and every ingredient involved. What a wonderful blend of such complex and powerful flavors. This beer is so perfect, I feel unworthy to drink it. I suppose I must pour it down the drain.

Served in a pint glass

#11 on the Swill Fest

Pours a pink hazy color...dear God help me! Smell is of tomato, pepper and asshole. There may be sugar there, but I don't care to smell it anymore. There is the salty seawater smell there, why dear god why?! The taste is of DEATH! It won't go away! This is a terrible terrible flavor. It is a horrid drink, I don't know why it was made and Satan himself wouldn't serve this in hell. It feels bad and drinks bad. No person should ever do this to themselves. EVER EVER EVER. Sweet Jesus this is awful! I am not drinking this!

1.17/5  rDev -41.8%

We'll dispense with the pouring descriptions, except to say that it appeared a weird murky pinkish color, prob due to the "certified colors" mentioned on the label.

Now I have to say that I'm a big fan of tomato juice, Clamato, V8, Bloody Mary's, etc. And in my earlier drinking years would sometimes partake of the old draft beer (in this case Schaefer) and tomato juice mix. Us young guys in NY were told that's the way they drank beer in Pennsylvania. Funny, no?

Anyhow, this stuff is an overkill salty, celery/green pepper/tomato paste/hint of clam bait abomination. The concept is great, but leave it to AB to f*ck it up. Best you mix your own Chelada if you like this kind of stuff.

Oh, and beware. After drinking this potion, your stool will be red the next day, so don't be alarmed. You don't have bleeding ulcers, yet.

1.17/5  rDev -41.8%

Poured from a 24 oz. can into Samuel Adams glass. Sorry, Samuel Adams, your product deserves better.

Appearance: Well, it pours nice. A nice ruby red grapefruit juice hue flows out of the can, but slightly more red. This is accompanied by a light pink two-finger head that immediately dissipates into complete nothingness. Very mild and sporatic spotting left on the glass from what I could choke down.

Smell: Beer and tomato juice

Taste: Well...this...this is just horrible. Extremely sweet and salty Budweiser mixed with sea water, marinara sauce, and clams. I could replicate this by going to the Jersey shore with a glass half-full of Budweiser, dunking it into the ocean, and dropping a clam into the glass to marinate. Add a mild hint of cilantro and lime, and this is what you have. I could see how people would like this (my girlfriend continues to sip on it), but it's just not for me.

Mouthfeel: Ugh, do I really need to taste this again to get a mouthfeel? Light body, moderate carbonation, would be an easy drinker if it wasn't for the taste, but I guess it works for what it is.

Overall: An atrocity of a beer that I can understand how others would enjoy it, but it's just not for me. Ugh, NEVER again.

1.18/5  rDev -41.3%

What the hell just happened? First, I poured this V8 colored beverage into a glass, and it made a little bit of a head that I imagine that Hawaiian Punch would make if it were carbonated, and it disappeared as quickly. As I look down into my beer now (beer if you can call it that) I see little floating things that are the color the head was, I don't know what they are.
It separated like old vegetable juice does with a dark part at the bottom and light at the top. In all honesty it smells like tomato juice and blood. No kidding, it has the iron aroma of blood. At first this sound like a good thing because you can tell your friends that you're manly enough to drink blood, but in truth I have ha busted lips that taste better than this.
How did this make it past product testing, let alone all the way to East Tennessee? Granted, my friend brought this particular can from Texas, but this product can be had at local Wal Marts here. I really can't bring myself to finish my half of the rather large can that it came in. I was drinking Mickey's before this on this particular evening, and while it's not that great, it's going to taste like Cheatu Latour compared to the Chelada when I switch back... now.

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch