Budweiser & Clamato Chelada | Anheuser-Busch

Added by Zorro on 06-24-2007

1.75/5  rDev -13.8%

1.25/5  rDev -38.4%

2.63/5  rDev +29.6%

A: The beer is rather hazy orange yellow in color and has a moderate to high amount visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that rapidly dissipated and left a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of tomato and clam juice are present in the nose.
T: The taste very much follows the smell and seems like a Clamato drink that's been watered down a bit with added carbonation and a slight amount of bitterness. Notes of salty clams linger through the finish.
M: It feels nearly medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I didn't have much in the way of expectations for this "beer" but it's definitely a lot better than the Bud Light version of the Clamato Chelada and surprisingly seems to work well with the Budweiser. The carbonation and light amount of bitterness seemed to make the Clamato a little easier to drink whereas the Clamato flavors kept the Budweiser from being bland. I doubt that I would purchase this again, but I wouldn't have a problem drinking all 24 ounces of this beer if I had to (the Bud Light version was a different story and mostly got poured down the drain).

1.57/5  rDev -22.7%

This beer is true to it's ingredients: Beer and tomato juice. The sharp acidic flavor of the tomato dominates the beer, leaving little appreciation of the timid lager characteristics. The carbonation amplifies the acidity of the beer, giving a harshness that makes drinking difficult. Pungent and diry throughout. The watery mouthfeel comes from a thinning of the tomato juice and giving an alka-selzer-like texture and taste. Nausiating at best; unfit for human consumption at worse. I render it undrinkable.

1.82/5  rDev -10.3%

12oz can, from a cross-border beer incursion a few weeks ago, and now into an American pint glass, ever so undeservingly, if I may exercise a bit of prejudgement here.

This 'beer' pours a hazy, chunky pale tomato/salmon colour, with some peppery (I assume) sediment, and two fingers of flimsy, weakly foamy, and soapy dirty white head, which disappears faster than you can say, "a drink for the saucy lady at the end of the bar". If you're looking for lace, you've come to the wrong place, I'm afraid - once the head is gone, this looks all too much like plain grapefruit extract, with a thin oily film around the glass - yum.

It smells of salty tomato juice, black pepper, and a faint seafood stench - very cold mall cafeteria soup-like. The taste starts out pretty much like a Bloody Mary or Caesar for me - salty seafood pasta sauce in liquid format - thick tomato juice, cheap fruits de mer, yer typical salt and pepper spice, and really nothing else - any beer characteristics (hah!) are duly subsumed by the heady Clamato additive.

The carbonation is damned-near non-existent, the body thick, rich, and heavy, yet in a wholly different beverage vector - not bad, just not the right one, y'know? It finishes off-dry, weirdly - sweetly vegetal and of course savoury like those questionable hangover cures of my early university days.

Jesus tap-dancing Christ, this is hardly a beer, despite any underlying, undetectable malt and hop attributes (who am I kidding, this is Bud, after all). As a decided non-fan of Caesars, or Bloody Marys, or whatever, all I can say is that this seems like an attempt to cross promote a different bar drink with their own headlining crappy pale lager. Or perhaps this is just some leftover gazpacho I mistakenly dumped into my glass, which would trip the switch in my brain for this from egregiously pandering, to actually palatable, but more for something resembling food, and not this marketing company cum brewery's idea of an actual beer.

"This is some fucked up repugnant shit." -Pulp Fiction

1 pint 8 fl oz can acquired at a cheap Mexican cornerstore in Los Angeles and served into a hefeweissbier glass in me gaff. Reviewed live. Expectations could not be worse.

A: Three finger head of off-pink vomit colour (really, it's fucking uncanny), terrible retention, and no cream. Colour is a nontransparent hazy red. Horrible appearance all around.

Sm: Vomit and tomato puree, with perchance some light grapefruit. This is one of the worst aromas I've ever encountered. And it's moderately strong to boot.

T: Vomit and tomato. Perhaps putrefaction and vague meconium to boot. Really one of the foulest concoctions I've ever endeavored to swallow. Some light clam notes are present, which add to the mixture in a distinctly miserable way. Horribly, wretchedly built and balanced. Atrociously awful. What in Ireland we refer to as "utter shite". It's like they combined Hitler's bodily fluids (and I do mean ALL of them) with smegma. I imagine it would taste the same on the way up. Seriously disgusting.

Mf: Smooth and wet.

Dr: It's appalling this beer even has a market. Who buys this more than once? This is plain terrible. This is otherwordly in its wretchedness. There's a distinct vomit note, and I say that without hyperbole. It would actually be better if it were watery. Please for the love of God don't consume this filth. This is an insult to beer, even by AH Busch standards. Jaysus H Fooking Christ, lads. Don't even use this for cooking. Unfathomably foul.

On the plus side, this probably has enough calories to last you the whole day, so there's value there if you're a decrepit homeless man (or woman - let's be P.C.!) living in alleyway squalor.

If this isn't a 1 out of 5, what is? Where do we draw the line?

3.22/5  rDev +58.6%

As a seasoned Michelada drinker, this really was no big surprise. Try ordering one at a Mexican restaurant sometime. This wasn't really as godawful as I was expecting, though i've had far better at restaurants and mixed at home. Better ingredients (ie, Bohemia or Dos Equis Amber) make a better "beer cocktail" for sure. Rating as a "beer cocktail" and not so much as a beer.

Poured out into a 22 oz. mug, best served ice cold or over ice. The color was an electric pink, identical to Hawaiian punch. There was an angry mass of large and filmy pond scum bubbles on the surface, and their movement reminded me of a mad colony of hornets or pulsating maggots from a nature show. A gritty film coats the rim of the glass, with chunky sediment floating in it. Pretty nasty.

Smells and tastes like seasoned tomato juice or V8 with a vague undercurrent of dull beer. Since I like tomato juice, this smells appetizing enough to me. It does not taste like spoiled fish, rotting clams, or any other bizarre lurid descriptor one could muster.

The tomato juice of the Clamato dominates, and let's face it, it has more flavor than Bud. Tomatoes have acidity, perfectly natural. There is a tingling peppery taste similar to Maggi seasoning in the back, and there's some lingering savory saltiness. Thankfully the spicy tomato juice steamrolls the insipid beer. Unfortunately it has about as much carbonation as tomato juice too.

It's actually refreshing if you can get over mixing Clamato/V8 and a macro lager. This is the solution for all those crappy beers leftover from that party last weekend, just mix with Clamato or V8, lime, & Cholula and enjoy!

Been wanting to try this one for a long time, glad I finally had the chance.

Appearance: Fizzy, hazy reddish-pink with no head retention.

Smell: Cilantro, parsley, tomatoes and faint seafood. Normally this would be appetizing to me, but this is beer we're talking about here, and it's cold. Kinda revolting.

Taste & mouthfeel: Salty tomato with a clammy kick. I can't really taste any actual beer flavors here, but Bud is pretty subtle stuff to begin with. Honestly, beer geekery aside, this is probably the worst beer I've ever tasted. It's every bit as bad as I was hoping it would be, possibly even moreso. My quest to find the worst beer ever made has come to an end. Now to grab a couple cans to cellar...

1.89/5  rDev -6.9%

Uggh. Intensely repulsive. I understand that someone likes this, but who? It's a combination of mildly peppery and spicy clamato juice and beer. The fishy smell is repulsive, and the tomato doesn't help the flavor. But who can fault the beer? If A-B hadn't mixed it, the people who drink this stuff would have done it themselves!!! Ahghghhhh... it gives me shivers just thinking about it. I really don't think I could learn to drink this even if I was on a deserted island. But that's just me. So how do you judge this? I'm going to have to go with quickly!!!

1.81/5  rDev -10.8%

A: Pours a cloudy pale pinkish orange in color (not dissimilar to pink grapefruit juice) with some light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a quarter finger tall fizzy pinkish white head that quickly fades to a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of crushed tomatos, tomato juice, celery salt, and something very briny...maybe even fishy.

T: Moderate to strong flavors of watery tomatos, celery salt, salt/brine, and clam juice...there is no beer like flavor from the Budweiser that I can discern.

M: Light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly slick.

O: This is not something that I will be running out to try again but I'm glad I finally found it as it was rather elusive... Semi-offensive in the smell and taste but I guess it is something that really appeals to different palates (possibly ethnic or diet based...).

3.57/5  rDev +75.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I didn't want to see what this looked like in a glass, if I was actually going to drink it. Pinkish foam always puts me off. So I drank it out of the can. Coarse carbonation on the tongue and the appropriately zingy mouthfeel, can't hate that. The smell is metallic tomato, I agree with the haters on that.

This stuff is actually pretty good. It's an improvement over the Bud Light concoctions as it actually tastes somewhat beery. But it's also an improvement over unadlturated Budweiser. The flavor is mostly fizzy and quite spicy Clamato. Tangy and acidic with something not entirely unlike lime. Not bad at all if you like Clamato, and it was the ideal gulp with a day-old sandwich and the taste of sea water in my mouth.

From the 16 oz can purchased at the supermarket. I hated on a revered Crooked Stave sour "Saison," so I feel better praising this flavored beer-like substance.

1.89/5  rDev -6.9%

A –Pours the color of neon-ruby red grapefruit juice… complete with pulp. White head disappears almost instantly.

S – Salsa-like with tomato, pepper, and cilantro. Not a bad thing in and of itself, but to compare this in an honest light (i.e. for a beer that's supposed to have tomato juice in it), the tomato aroma is relatively flat, and more acid than fresh. Interestingly, the more I smell this the more I think the spice note could have actually saved the nose - if they really cranked it up with fresh horseradish or something it could have actually have been pretty interesting. Unfortunately the spice falls flat as well.

T – Salt and V-8 tomato juice, with a touch of black pepper. Honestly, the opening is palatable; it’s basically just a cheap bloody marry. The backend is horrid though, as a wave of sourness ushers in an ocean water finish.

M – Overly carbonated with medium body. It takes a moment before you realize that there are chunks of… something… throughout the drink. Clawing saltiness on the finish.

O – Parts of this aren’t as atrocious as I thought, but the downsides are crushing. If I had to describe this beer in a sentence, I’d say it was an aggressively carbonated, under flavored, and harshly overly salted, bloody marry.

1.48/5  rDev -27.1%

Shared with ShanePB a few weeks ago. Had side to side with Chelada light.

Going to stray from my usual review format for this one. This beer was extremely similar to the light version (see review), except that it was a bit more pungent. The aroma was a bit stronger and spicier, as was the flavor profile.

This beer tastes like over salted, watery tomato juice with pepper and horseradish thrown in. Does not resemble a beer at all.

1.5/5  rDev -26.1%

Tomato juice has never crossed my lips. Neither has V-8. Nor clams. Nor clam juice. I have had Budweiser a few times and was... 'thoroughly disgusted' gets it about right. The clam juice, however, is what's making me more apprehensive about drinking this stuff than any beer (or beer-like beverage) that I've ever imbibed. That said, this review of Budweiser Chelada will be conducted with an open mind.

Murky coral that could also be described as pinkish orange. The head (hurry, before it's gone!) is pale pink and has an odd texture that resembles cotton candy. It falls to a thin film in less than a minute, is gone shortly after, and leaves the glass covered with a slimy film. Gotta be the clam juice. What the hell have I gotten myself into?

Chelda smells nothing like beer. Not even close. It smells like watery crushed tomatoes and celery salt. There's also a faint fishiness that is, thankfully, so subtle that I am no longer afraid to tip the glass up. Well, not much anyway. No lime is noted.

After the smallest sip possible... it isn't completely revolting. Nor is it enjoyable, but at least I'll be able to get it down (and, hopefully, keep it down) for the purposes of this review. Again, this concoction tastes nothing at all like beer.

A-B, Inc. doesn't list the milligrams of sodium on the can. Probably because they're sky-high. Again, watery tomatoes lead the way, with the same background fishiness that is found in the nose. Please don't make me drink any more looking for flavor nuances.

The body/mouthfeel is light with an underlying slick sliminess that is unpleasant. At least the carbonation isn't fizzing up the joint. It's probably unavoidable given the ingredients, but the mouthfeel is limiting my drinking more than the flavor.

In the end, Budweiser Chelada is pretty much what was expected. More power to those who brew it and to those who enjoy it, but I'm going to try to forget this experience as quickly and as completely as humanly possible.

1.15/5  rDev -43.3%

Again with these lagers with the fake fruit flavors, do they not realize that this simply does not work. Poured cold and into a pint glass, consumed on 08/16/2010.

What have I gotten myself into as tomato juice pours out of my glass? No head, nothing just thick, dark red looking tomato juice. Ok....Aroma is light peppery, lots of tomato, and just odd. This is not a beer, should be taken off the site completely. I do not know what it is, nor do I ever care to find out. I took one sip and tasted some light spices and a thick almost clam and tomato mix and poured it. I take back my statement I made about the blue, this is the worst thing I have ever tasted. I would not have this one again if you paid me, a lot.

1.72/5  rDev -15.3%

I saw this little number in the cooler at one of my locals lat night and since I was half (or more) in the bag following Groundhog Day, it seemed like just the thing to buy. Now, in the harsh light of day, my buyer's remorse rivals that feeling of Coyote Ugly that I have also experienced many times over the years.

What is this I see before me? It looked like Pink Grapefruit juice, a favorite of mine. Absolutely no head. Flat as a board. But pretty. Very pink, cloudy, like I said, grapefruit juice. Nose was salty, like the breeze blowing in off the Atlantic, underlain with a tomato-like tang. Frankly, Mr. Shankly, my mouth actually began to water. Now for the moment of truth - an actual mouthfull of it. Wow! The mouthfeel was watery thin. The admixture of salt, clam juice, tomato, and beer was just foul. Whew. It reminded me of the fantail on days when we could not dump trash and garbage and the sharks would troll behind us, hoping that we would chum the waters for them, having built up a smell that would fall a redwood. The finish left a taste that can only be described as decomposing flesh. Putrid. Run, don't walk, to the nearest sink and make this a drain pour. OMFG, 24 oz! My drain is now sick.

1.75/5  rDev -13.8%

1.28/5  rDev -36.9%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Roman numeral X during Swill Tour 2010. I imagine a sinister robotic voice spouting the name of this beer every time I take a sip. It pours a cloudy, precipitate-filled fruit punch with a short-lived sudsy head. Mike: "There's a light one! Wasn't one enough, you masochistic fuck!?" Nope. The pain must be eternal, Hellraiser style. Pinhead is a decent substitute for a sinister robot. As it's taken down, a snail's slime trail is left on the glass. The nose comprises Tabasco, vomit, bad marinara sauce, and Ginger blood (I think it's the soullessness). The taste is definitely salty, with some horrible cocktail sauce leavings left over. There is no beer here, just like there is no glimmer of heaven's light in sight after drinking it. Lord. The body is kinda light, kinda heavy, with a light carbonation and a slimy feel. Kill me. AKA give me more of this.

1.3/5  rDev -36%

I honestly have no interest whatsoever in tackling the bottom of the barrel list. However, some sick and twisted part of me suggested sharing this can with Matt and Paul after Matt said he was saving it for "Bad Beer Thursdays."

The color is a glowing red / orange, with a head that fades instantly, as if to say "I am getting the f*** out of here!"

Aroma: If tomato juice could write the short bus and misbehave the entire time, it would be Budweiser Chelada.

I feel like this so called beer would fare well on "Fear Factor". Perhaps this was brewed for the prisoners at Guantanamo Bay and served with every meal. There is absolutely no reason to drink this harsh, vile concoction of your own free will.

Mouthfeel = Ow! Please make it stop.

Overall: see mouthfeel.

Well, I can honestly say I've tried it. Never again.

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch