Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada | Anheuser-Busch

Added by Zorro on 06-24-2007

2.75/5  rDev +33.5%

2.05/5  rDev -0.5%

2.24/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

1.08/5  rDev -47.6%

Only sampled a very small glass at a neighbors on Thanksgiving. Red and cloudy, like tomato soup with Sprite and milk mixed in.

Aroma is like concentrated Long Island Sound. Brine and spice with a distinct dead sea creature nuance.

Flavor is so bad I can scarsely describe it. Pain. Fear. Agony. This is what cancer tastes like.

Body is akin to tomato soup mixed with Diet Sprite. Filthy and undrinkable. This tastes like a terrorist plot.

Got from Scoobydank as part of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly BIF - damn you!!! Poured from a 16oz can (no dating info) into a shaker glass. This did not deserve a pint and I'll have throw away the shaker now that it's been tainted with this evil. It was a watered down bloody mary color. It was very cloudy and had layers to it. Just looked disgusting. It had no head at all. Just some light fizz that almost instantly evaporated. No visible carb or lacing.

The aroma was horrendous. I HATE tomato juice and detest clams so this one is pure hell. The smell alone made me gag. My wife got a huge kick out of watching me smell and taste this thing. She wouldn't try it herself - smart. I could barely get around the smell but I had to taste it since the Ugly in the BIF. Absolutely awful. Did I mention that I HATE tomato juice and clams! Could only get 2 large sips down before I had to drain pour. This is by far, the worst "beer" I have ever tasted. May it rot in hell!!!!

1.74/5  rDev -15.5%

22 oz. can "born-on" 8/14/07 and sampled when it was one month old. On the labeling, English is the second language, just like their target market for this brew. The beer is opaque and sediment-laden, with a color between that of tomato and pink grapefruit juice. It has medium carbonation and a very short-lived, pink head that reduces to nothing; and instead of lacing the glass, it deposits tomato particles. Tomatoes and a lime/clam mixture in the nose, with no discernible beer aroma. I'm not really looking forward to drinking this, but oddly enough, it makes my mouth salivate. Tastes of tomato, salt, and lime up front, backed by shellfish, and perhaps some pepper and celery seed, all mixed with a slight Budweiser flavor, on top of a standard Budweiser body. An interesting brew to say the least, but, overall.... bleech.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

1.78/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours cloudy orange-pink in color, with no head.

Aroma is tomato, celery salt, and an odd musty quality.

Taste is tomato, celery, a touch of hot sauce and soda water. Finish holds the strange musty quality from the nose.

Mouthfeel is thin and spritzy.

Not worth trying again.

3.26/5  rDev +58.3%

GLASS: Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass
TEMP: Chilled to approx 38 degrees (Warmed while drinking)
22oz Can purchased in Kansas (Full-strength)
(I actually love traditional 'hand-made' Cheladas. Let's see if this pre-packaged version can compare.)

This isn't starting off very well. Looks like any average BMC macro lager with a medium-shade pink tint to it. A 'real' Chelada looks alot more like tomato juice or something. This looks like pink grapefruit soda. The head was about thre-fingers tall, but receded quite rapidly. Lacing is practically non-existent.

The smell is much better, actually. A good dose of Clamato presence is here. (I love Clamato.) The lime and salt presence are somewhat light, but at least they are detected. Below that is the Alka-Seltzer/corniness of an average macro.

Sadly, I can tell that a decent Chelada just might be hiding in this can. Unfortunately, A-B seems to have covered it/destroyed it with a big dose of sugarey sweetness. Too much corn sweetner was added, I'd guess. The lager taste is offset by the wonderful tomato juice-like taste. Then the lime and salt come into play and everything starts working. Just as you are getting ready to enjoy it though, in comes an abnormal and un-needed sweetness to destroy it.
Damn.

It's a medium body and has a medium level of carbonation. It works okay, but is actually on the thin side of what it should be, traditionally.

Overall, I guess that I'll keep making my own. They taste much better. If I drank a couple of them everyday, this might work out, but I only drink them about a dozen times a year.

1.72/5  rDev -16.5%

16oz can from Tiger Town in Gardiner. Pours a pinkish-red fairly opaque body with large bubble head that dissipates quickly. Smells like tomato with lime. Tastes like tomato, clam, with hints of lime. Medium in body with low carbonation. Not horrible I guess, but not what I'm looking for out of a beer.

2.07/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Every few times that I log on to BA, I always make a point to stop by and read some of the Chelada reviews. Some of them are so laugh out loud funny, that I have, on occasion, been brought to tears. Truth be told, after reading the negative ones, I've often asked myself if something can really be as bad as this. I mean, I'll try just about anything (beer or otherwise) and most things I find edible and more often than not, enjoyable. So, when I was in Peekskill Beverage earlier today, picking up a sampling of seasonal beers (and man, Peekskill has really upped their craft selection nicely), I spotted a 24 ouncer of Chelada peeking at me from the cooler. Why not?, I asked....and now the only question is WHY?!? I kid you not....I still gag when I think about what I put in my mouth over two hours ago. And it wasn't much, maybe 3-4 oz. The rest was a drainpour. This is the most vile, evil, putrid stuff that resides on God's green earth. I am fully aware that in some Latin countries, this mixture is often pleasing. However, AB's attempt to mass market this stuff is an absolute abomination. You've been warned...

2.25/5  rDev +9.2%

1.24/5  rDev -39.8%

Oh, dear. I never thought I'd have the "privilege" to review this, but after my friend and I had put off tasting this (or pranking some friends with it) as a joke purchase, we decided to crack it open once and for all, after "aging" it for 8 months. I made sure to spin the can around to get the gleeful addition of Clamato residue throughout the whole pour. Poured out of a 500ml can into a tulip glass.

Looks really watery, and easily resembles the coloration of tomatoes after you've squeezed out all the juice possible from them. In other words, pinkish, slightly pale (straw), cloudy, and very unappetizing in nature. There was a surprisingly high amount of head that went with this, but it faded extremely rapidly in a seltzer-like watery manner. It doesn't really look very good. I'd give it a higher score but its look almost prevented me from going on.

While the smell has been heavily criticized by others, it actually isn't too bad in my view. It smells a lot like a gazpacho, which I enjoy. Notes of tomatoes, cilantro, celery, basil, lemon, and a slight saltiness. No fishy smell, no artificial feel, or any off-notes overall for that matter. Maybe the near year of aging has settled things overall? It's not great, but it perhaps won't cause any natural decay of any living beings that approach it just yet.

The flavor just might, however. This is awful. Notes of slimy tomatoes, old celery and cilantro, as well as a pervasive onion and garlic aroma that melds with a slightly salty, briny texture that must be from the clams. At first it wasn't so horrible, but then the aftertaste contained a mildly skunky, sulfurous note from the adjuncts, as well as a gritty, grainy flavor that melds with the briny qualities to horrific results. I took perhaps three sips before I started to gag. Thin, spritzy, with a texture that is pretty much the *opposite* reason why anyone would drink beer. This made me very sad.

I knew this would be horrible, but it's honestly an offensive tribute to Mexican micheladas, which are rather good, depending on how you make them. I've no clue who InBev was trying to cater to with this other than those that don't like beer, those who are okay with a dumbed down version of a michelada, and woeful sado-masochists such as myself. NOT FOR FANS OF BEER!

3.25/5  rDev +57.8%

1.25/5  rDev -39.3%

2.25/5  rDev +9.2%

1.03/5  rDev -50%

haven't opened it yet. reminding myself to keep an open mind, to be objective; though i must admit i'm slightly apprehensive. clam + tomato + bud? good lord. i have forged a tolerance for V8 over the years; maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised.

tallboy served in a standard pint glass.

pours a cloudy pink grapefruit-like tone with a finger of whitish head. very low retention - almost instantly dissipates; no lacing. little things floating it in. that's not too encouraging.

nose (i.e. strench) offers budweiser, vegetable juice, salty low tide, decay, and unrealized dreams. truly unappetizing. judging from the aroma this might be appropriately served by the couple drowned in the ocean by leslie nielsen's character in the creepshow - turning them into zombies covered in seaweed. maybe the taste will be be an improvement.

sweet Jesus. oh momma. the taste! it's hard to describe, this flavor. it's like... if one were to drink V8, have a bud, chug down some sea water, eat clams, eat day-old roadkill, then vomit everything up and serve it in a pint glass. truly the most vile, nasty beverage - not merely beer, but BEVERAGE - i've ever had the misfortune to consume. can't speak to the finish as my gag relex kicked in; had to shove past my wife en route to the sink and violently expel the atrocity from my marred palate.

thin, unimpressive mouthfeel. drinkability couldn't be worse. to me the premise here amounts to the Frankenstein of beer: good intentions, good parts coming together and going horribly, horribly wrong. strike that... clam juice is not a good part. well, i guess this just isn't for me.

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch