Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada | Anheuser-Busch

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Zorro on 06-24-2007

3.55/5  rDev +72.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Red cloudy beer. No head and only tomato juice particles on the side of the glass.
Smells like tomato and lime.
Tastes like a beer clamato juice and lime. There is also a few drops of something like tobasco sauce.
Finishes fairly spicy.
Overall a tasty beer bloody mary.

3.53/5  rDev +71.4%

3.5/5  rDev +69.9%

This is not a beer but rather sort of a cocktail drink to all those not familiar with michelada or chelada drinks. Color is pinkish and not that pleasant to the eye, smell is weak for michelada original ingredients, I liked the taste thouh, don't get me wrong this is nothing close to preparing one yourself. Great for 100+ degrees summer days and have 1 or 2 at most.

3.5/5  rDev +69.9%

3.49/5  rDev +69.4%

These kind of beers are big with Hispanics, I'm a Mexican American and I grew up with Clamato and beer. So when I first tried the Chelada I thought their ok but after drinking acouple I really started to like them. In my opinion they are not that bad I guess you really have to like clams tomato and cheap beer lol. Just give the Chelada a chance you'll start to like it.

3.47/5  rDev +68.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks like a "bloody beer" and I've had my share. You can smell and taste the lime in this, which I'm not a real fan of. Typically I'd rather take a Rolling Rock and mix it with some Clamato and Tabasco myself, but this serves a purpose. Has a little more "beer" taste than the light version of this. I like it just fine. Goes great the morning after being over served.

3.46/5  rDev +68%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.45/5  rDev +67.5%

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada has a very thin, pink head, which almost instantly fizzes away and a cloudy, pinkish-red appearance with little chunks of something floating about. The aroma is of the Gulf of Mexico and V-8 Juice, with just a hint of lime. Taste is of tomato, clam broth, lime flavor, and some possible beer showing up as well. Mouthfeel is somewhat heavy, and this concoction finishes soupy and weird. Well, I guess this is pretty good, and I would like to have it if I were ever in the mood for Budweiser, tomato juice, lime flavor, and clam broth. I doubt that I will ever be in the mood for that, however. But, one never knows. Overall, it's interesting, if nothing else.

RJT

3.42/5  rDev +66%

This is the hardest, most confounding beer review I have ever undertaken to write.

First off, this is to my knowledge the only premixed Chelada that's sold in the US. So I got nothing against which to judge it.

Secondly, I've had other Cheladas, made by mixing beers that are better than Bud with either V-8 or Clamato. Bizarrely, they didn't taste nearly as good as this one does.

My only reference point, then, is to compare this to other premixed beer cocktails. Normally, all premixed cocktails suck. That's just a rule of thumb: if you got the choice between a premixed margarita and a blend of tequila, lime, and triple sec, always take the latter. This is the only--ONLY--premixed cocktail I've ever had, of any kind, that is actually better than its handmade counterpart. That's worth at least a 3.0, right?

But then again, if this really is nothing but Bud mixed with Clamato, that's pretty lazy, right? And then again, it's not really beery--though neither is Wisconsin Red.

So.. So I'm going to to have vote with my gut on this one, away from standards the approbation of the beergeek majority, and away from any popularly recognized standards of style. This was one of the most surprisingly enjoyable things I have ever drank. It's not beergeek friendly. It's not by the standards of this site something that should be lauded. But it was pretty damn good.

3.4/5  rDev +65%

Sometimes, you just need some tomato-y alcohol, and even simple can get it done. Poured into a big plastic kitchen cup with ice, because that was what I had on hand. The head rises far up, then dies like a bird flying into a peterbuilt big rig. Tomato taste, mixed with some form of citrus, hot sauce, and a buncha fizziness. Light red. ...cheap.

3.35/5  rDev +62.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I normally avoid Budweiser like syphilis but the Clamato angle roped me in.

Poured into a 22oz Sam Adams glass. The color dark orange with a thin and fleeting head.
Spicier than Clamato but pretty smooth going down. I could definitely see myself slamming a couple of these for breakfast. Overall it's not great yet better than I expected.

3.32/5  rDev +61.2%

I don't like regular Budweiser, especially not in a can, but I do like cheladas and micheladas, especially when with family in Mexico, honestly if I'm gonna make one though I'd use a beer that I do like and use either Clamato or something equivelant.

3.32/5  rDev +61.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

first off i get a real kick out of people saying "oh no it is reddish pink", "oh no it is tomato flavor or clam flavor", or "it is spicy or salty". must not have ever heard of tomato juice or clamato juice or had a bloody mary.

i did not shake before opening. i did the slow rotating of the can end for end 3-4 times in each direction. poured a light reddish with some head. smells like...well beer and bloody mary. taste and smell are what i expect. i love a good bloody mary and ceasar so this was fairly good to me. a bit of spice with some carbonation. most of the beer taste is backseat to the clamato, but i expected that. to me, drinkable on a hot humid day as a refresher...kinda like a bloody mary or ceasar.

who'd a thunk it?

giblet

3.26/5  rDev +58.3%

GLASS: Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass
TEMP: Chilled to approx 38 degrees (Warmed while drinking)
22oz Can purchased in Kansas (Full-strength)
(I actually love traditional 'hand-made' Cheladas. Let's see if this pre-packaged version can compare.)

This isn't starting off very well. Looks like any average BMC macro lager with a medium-shade pink tint to it. A 'real' Chelada looks alot more like tomato juice or something. This looks like pink grapefruit soda. The head was about thre-fingers tall, but receded quite rapidly. Lacing is practically non-existent.

The smell is much better, actually. A good dose of Clamato presence is here. (I love Clamato.) The lime and salt presence are somewhat light, but at least they are detected. Below that is the Alka-Seltzer/corniness of an average macro.

Sadly, I can tell that a decent Chelada just might be hiding in this can. Unfortunately, A-B seems to have covered it/destroyed it with a big dose of sugarey sweetness. Too much corn sweetner was added, I'd guess. The lager taste is offset by the wonderful tomato juice-like taste. Then the lime and salt come into play and everything starts working. Just as you are getting ready to enjoy it though, in comes an abnormal and un-needed sweetness to destroy it.
Damn.

It's a medium body and has a medium level of carbonation. It works okay, but is actually on the thin side of what it should be, traditionally.

Overall, I guess that I'll keep making my own. They taste much better. If I drank a couple of them everyday, this might work out, but I only drink them about a dozen times a year.

3.25/5  rDev +57.8%

I have had many "red" beers I have mixed myself so somebody elses mixture in a can is intrigueing. Poured into a schooner and the color is ...well...red. The smell is tomato and peppery spice. The mouthfeel is good. This red beer seems to have a higher viscosity than one mixed myself. Dare I say the sliminess is due to the clam juice. Taste is good beer followed by tomato and pepper. Spicy to taste but not too spicy. The lime kind of comes through in the end. This is a grreat idea. Not an everyday beer, but when you want or need a red brew its nice to pick one up that is ready to go.

3.24/5  rDev +57.3%

3.23/5  rDev +56.8%

Honestly surprised the bros haven't tried this one.

There are notes of tomato juice, and beer. and what else could anyone ask for?

Totally refreshing. One of the few flavors I crave

3.22/5  rDev +56.3%

As a seasoned Michelada drinker, this really was no big surprise. Try ordering one at a Mexican restaurant sometime. This wasn't really as godawful as I was expecting, though i've had far better at restaurants and mixed at home. Better ingredients (ie, Bohemia or Dos Equis Amber) make a better "beer cocktail" for sure. Rating as a "beer cocktail" and not so much as a beer.

Poured out into a 22 oz. mug, best served ice cold or over ice. The color was an electric pink, identical to Hawaiian punch. There was an angry mass of large and filmy pond scum bubbles on the surface, and their movement reminded me of a mad colony of hornets or pulsating maggots from a nature show. A gritty film coats the rim of the glass, with chunky sediment floating in it. Pretty nasty.

Smells and tastes like seasoned tomato juice or V8 with a vague undercurrent of dull beer. Since I like tomato juice, this smells appetizing enough to me. It does not taste like spoiled fish, rotting clams, or any other bizarre lurid descriptor one could muster.

The tomato juice of the Clamato dominates, and let's face it, it has more flavor than Bud. Tomatoes have acidity, perfectly natural. There is a tingling peppery taste similar to Maggi seasoning in the back, and there's some lingering savory saltiness. Thankfully the spicy tomato juice steamrolls the insipid beer. Unfortunately it has about as much carbonation as tomato juice too.

It's actually refreshing if you can get over mixing Clamato/V8 and a macro lager. This is the solution for all those crappy beers leftover from that party last weekend, just mix with Clamato or V8, lime, & Cholula and enjoy!

3.2/5  rDev +55.3%

I tried this concoction after mowing my yard last weekend. Last time I was a fan of Bud was when I was a kid; so much for palate back in those days (zero). Anyway, my son has been bringing these home and, being a bloody mary fan, I decided to give one a try. Boy, I was pleasantly surprised! I found it to be quite refreshing and not nearly as bad as I've been hearing. I see by some of the reviews here that it's not thought of very highly, but come on! We're not talking about craft beer here, folks. For what it is, it not that bad at all. A bit steep at $3.40 a can, but I'll be having another.

3.18/5  rDev +54.4%

Seriously, you guys rating Chelada like its some kinda craft brew. Get over yourselves. It's friggin Budweiser and Clamato for Christ's sake!

First let's get a few things straight: Chelada is drunk only on swelteringly hot days. If you already took two showers today and you are just barely fending off the swamp ass, now THAT's a perfect day for a Chelada. I don't care if you drink it outta a frozen beer glass (good), an elegant champagne flute (better) or right out of the can (best, and good for mopping sweaty brow), it had damn well better be ice cold!

Here's the review: It tastes like Bud with Clamato. If you don't like those things, why on earth are you drinking Chelada? Go order yourself a burly man beer.

If you are lucky enough to live near an Hispanic community (Tip: No beer cocktail can beat into submission spicy authentic Mexican dishes like Chelada), your retailer may carry the Lime & Salt variety. Just consider yourself blessed.

Oh, one other thing. How many Cheladas should you have?

Martini lovers will know the answer: "There's nothing quite like your first sip of your second Martini."

Beer snobs can go smoke some hops. Anyone who loves food, drink and regional/ethnic delights, go find yourself a cold fridge and see if there's a Chelada in there!

3.14/5  rDev +52.4%

It was way better than expected. Not quite a "red" beer. Color is similar to watermellon juice; kind of pink. Soda pop foam when poured with no head or lace. Very pronounced Clamato aroma - fishy and tomatoey.. Ditto with the flavor. Not that bad, though, really. Actually I like it much better than a shandy. Wonder how it'd be using a weiss beer as a base instead of macro lagar. The Clamato totally dominates the Bud. Got it at a quick mart in North Miami Beach. Has almost no beer character. As far as being a great beer, the can says "drink alone or as a mixer". Read into that as you wish.

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch