Budweiser & Clamato Chelada | Anheuser-Busch

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Zorro on 06-24-2007

Reviews: 163 | Ratings: 314
1.15/5  rDev -42.8%

Considering I couldn't find Morning Glory, Fou Foune or Pliny the Younger for my thousandth review, I thought I would do something a little different.

Pours a beautiful, hazy red with floating pureed tomato and little red chunks for texture. Can't tell if they are seeds or pieces of tomato skin. Either way, they are very appealing to the eye. Pink, fizzy, soda-like carbonation performs the most amazing disappearing act. Who wants head on their beer anyway?

Complex, delicate aroma of rotten tomatoes paired elegantly with sea salt and lime. Really brings out the strength and spiciness of the rotten fruit.

Flavor begins with savory sea salt quickly shifting into citric, tropical lime. Tomatoes come to life mid drink imparting wonderfully stale, earthy tones. Rich, vomit-like acidity adds a depth to the overall flavor. Subtle pepper spice brings the whole experience together. No malt or hop flavor detected but in a beer this good, who needs it?

Smooth and creamy, moderate body with lots of tiny bubbles bring each and every delectable flavor to the palate one at a time. Wonderful, grainy texture of tomato seeds. Finishes dry from the wealth of sea salt. Every smooth, refreshing sip makes my mouth water for more.

Overall, a stellar fruit beer which really showcases the potential of each and every ingredient involved. What a wonderful blend of such complex and powerful flavors. This beer is so perfect, I feel unworthy to drink it. I suppose I must pour it down the drain.

1.36/5  rDev -32.3%

I'm sorry but this was the single worst beer I've ever had. Upon one sip it engaged my gag reflex and I began to choke. The rest was poured down the drain. Tastes like liquid Spaghetti O' s mixed with Bud Light. This started as a joke but it made me nauseous and the joke was over.

3.4/5  rDev +69.2%

Sometimes, you just need some tomato-y alcohol, and even simple can get it done. Poured into a big plastic kitchen cup with ice, because that was what I had on hand. The head rises far up, then dies like a bird flying into a peterbuilt big rig. Tomato taste, mixed with some form of citrus, hot sauce, and a buncha fizziness. Light red. ...cheap.

3.35/5  rDev +66.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I normally avoid Budweiser like syphilis but the Clamato angle roped me in.

Poured into a 22oz Sam Adams glass. The color dark orange with a thin and fleeting head.
Spicier than Clamato but pretty smooth going down. I could definitely see myself slamming a couple of these for breakfast. Overall it's not great yet better than I expected.

3.55/5  rDev +76.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Red cloudy beer. No head and only tomato juice particles on the side of the glass.
Smells like tomato and lime.
Tastes like a beer clamato juice and lime. There is also a few drops of something like tobasco sauce.
Finishes fairly spicy.
Overall a tasty beer bloody mary.

4.48/5  rDev +122.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Really a great product. Hazy red. No head. Salty. Limey. Clammy. Tomato. Fizzy carbonation is so refreshing. Goes great with some hot sauce. With I could find 12oz cans.

3.23/5  rDev +60.7%

Honestly surprised the bros haven't tried this one.

There are notes of tomato juice, and beer. and what else could anyone ask for?

Totally refreshing. One of the few flavors I crave

1.53/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This literally tastes like ketchup flavored seltzer. Has a spiciness on the finish that stays on the back of your tongue. Watery mouthfeel but carbonation is very much there. It's just weird. Not surprised this kind of thing is popular in Canada where ketchup flavored chips are also found.

I'm not ashamed to rate this as my highest beer ever. If I were stranded on a desert island. This is the beer I would want flown in. Pound for pound. Dollar for dollar. This beer tastes so good. First time I had it I thought it tasted like blood when I was a kid and I wrecked a bicycle playing "chicken" with my sister. I licked that wound. Why?

Well my thumbnail fell off in 1985.

Why did I lick that wound? And I hated this beer when I came out..

Now I love it.

Bloody Mary except no Vodka. You can sip it and enjoy it.

I'm totally hooked on this beer.

I've had a lifetime of experiences. And this beer is that beer that I want from now on when I want a beer.

It has enough salt to balance me. I don't get drunk on these. I get contemplative. It's like their is alcohol involved but hidden. It's like having a steak on the bbq and sunshine.

Yet in the deepest darkest howls of Winter winds...I still want this beer...

Good Job AB!

1.54/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Starts with super thick head with large bubbles that disappears in about 5 secs. Smells like tomato juice with just a hint of beer. Tastes like tomato juice and goes down like an adjunct, but burns going down throat. This is only slightly better than Bud Light & Clamato. Only reason I'm gonna finish it is because I hate to throw out beer.

Clamato pours a reddish pinkish color with no head. It smells like tomato juice and vomit. The taste is soapy with big tomato flavors very salty. Horrible flat body, horrible flavors. Overall it is not only the worst beer I ever had, it is the worst thing I have ever tasted.

I tried this beer on a dare and was amazed at how good it is! I’m not normally a fan of tomato based alcoholic beverages, preferring beer or table wine to my wife’s bloody mary’s. However, in the case of B&C, I’ve lot all inhibitions for mixing alcohol and delicious nightshade fruits.

I can’t give this beer a higher rating, and I don’t even like Budweiser by itself! Recommended+++

2.7/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I have to come clean with everyone out there. This stuff is like crack for me. It's a total acquired taste guilty pleasure. As a Canadian, I grew up mixing Clamato into shitty beers like Old Milwaukee. Beer and clam is a perfect drink for camping or hangover mornings. The way Cheladas are spiced is unique, but very appealing to me. I can't help myself.

4.4/5  rDev +118.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love this, the boyfriend discovered it in CA and since then it's always been a guilty pleasure. Totally for those who love clamato, and otherwise I could totally understand hating it.

1.77/5  rDev -11.9%

I'm convinced all the high ratings are AB employees. There is no way a real "beer advocate" would choose this over making their own. Grab your favorite lager and a bottle of clamato juice and mix accordingly. $2.99 a 25oz can, not worth it. Just make your own.

3.5/5  rDev +74.1%

This is not a beer but rather sort of a cocktail drink to all those not familiar with michelada or chelada drinks. Color is pinkish and not that pleasant to the eye, smell is weak for michelada original ingredients, I liked the taste thouh, don't get me wrong this is nothing close to preparing one yourself. Great for 100+ degrees summer days and have 1 or 2 at most.

Tried Bud light and Modelo version too. Even tried making my own different ways. This one is just the best mix of THIS TYPE OF DRINK. I tried using chelada mix and tried with V8 juice but doesn't compare. I think we need a new phrase... "Konk! Wow! I could have hard a Chelada!". :)

Never had this one either and also sampled last night on 8/18/14. This one came in a 25 ounce can for $2.39. Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a vintage "Budwesier' thumb print glass goblet that I bought for 59 cents about a mont ago at the local Salvation Army Store in 'like-new' condition.

Pours a pinkish-red in color with no head to speak of and no lacing to mention either. The aroma is would be expected and is of 'beer and tomato juice'. More going on with the taste as you can taste the lime and salt in the mix also. A little tangy on the tongue. Not as bad as i did except but not a great one either. It is different.

3.57/5  rDev +77.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I didn't want to see what this looked like in a glass, if I was actually going to drink it. Pinkish foam always puts me off. So I drank it out of the can. Coarse carbonation on the tongue and the appropriately zingy mouthfeel, can't hate that. The smell is metallic tomato, I agree with the haters on that.

This stuff is actually pretty good. It's an improvement over the Bud Light concoctions as it actually tastes somewhat beery. But it's also an improvement over unadlturated Budweiser. The flavor is mostly fizzy and quite spicy Clamato. Tangy and acidic with something not entirely unlike lime. Not bad at all if you like Clamato, and it was the ideal gulp with a day-old sandwich and the taste of sea water in my mouth.

From the 16 oz can purchased at the supermarket. I hated on a revered Crooked Stave sour "Saison," so I feel better praising this flavored beer-like substance.

3.81/5  rDev +89.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 4

I am not Mexican, but sometimes I feel like one. Especially on those hot summer days when I'm dirty. Twenty five ounces of Labomba! Makes me feel classy drinking a cocktail with the king of beers. Don't take too much on for the first sip, if shaken let it have a siesta, it can hit the back of your mouth and you may have the taste of puked Clamato. After that...enjoy the journey. Despite it's contents, the taste is perfumy and not too heavy. To make it authentic, I suggest enjoying it in an ice filled glass with a splash of worecestshire sauce and a slice of lime. But, if you bought a can of this you probably drink it from it's container wrapped in the brown paper bag coozie.

3.1/5  rDev +54.2%

Graciously donated at a recent bottle share in Portland. Was told by the lucky owner that he'd had this particular can for a couple of years.

What struck me the most about the serving format for this beer, is that it came in a 25 ounce can. I didn't find this beer to be nearly as horrendous as I was expecting, but even so, I can't imagine any circumstance where I'd want to drink 25 ounces of this stuff.

The beer pours a pinkish red color with no head and no lacing. Frankly, it looks (and for that matters tastes) like a somewhat watered down glass of V8 juice. So yeah, the beer looks pretty bizarre, but I guess that's no surprise.

On the nose, this wasn't really all that bad. Once again, the beer smells like tomatoe/V8 juice, with some noticable light clam juice, celery salt and maybe some lime. Again, obviously these aren't aromas I normally associate with beer, but it wasn't awful.

The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, and one thing I really liked about this beer, is that there was absolutely no sign of the base beer (not that I drink bud all that often, but there really wasn't much of an underlying beer flavor to this stuff). Otherwise, I got some V8, claim juice, more celery salt and even some light heat from what tasted like either chili peppers or horseradish. It really wasn't too bad. You can barely tell there's some alcohol in this beer, but it's pretty well disguised actually, and blends in quite well with the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, and the beer didn't seem to have much carbonation (not sure if that's on purpose, or if the two years in can had something to do with that). However, the finish is fairly smooth, and it wasn't too difficult to drink (though again, it's pretty hard to imagine drinking a whole lot of this).

The biggest criticism I would make of this stuff, is that it really doesn't taste like it has anything in common with beer. I'll take the manufacturers word for it that there is some bud in this stuff, but I sure didn't pick it up on nose or palate. Also, while I might not want to drink this stuff, I can think of a number of uses I could make of this stuff for cooking (would go great in chili or in a red pasta sauce I think).

Another example of why it's always good to keep an open mind when sampling something new or outside one's experience. I thought this would be flat out awful, but it really wasn't. Really enjoyed the opportunity to try this at long last.

1.24/5  rDev -38.3%

Oh, dear. I never thought I'd have the "privilege" to review this, but after my friend and I had put off tasting this (or pranking some friends with it) as a joke purchase, we decided to crack it open once and for all, after "aging" it for 8 months. I made sure to spin the can around to get the gleeful addition of Clamato residue throughout the whole pour. Poured out of a 500ml can into a tulip glass.

Looks really watery, and easily resembles the coloration of tomatoes after you've squeezed out all the juice possible from them. In other words, pinkish, slightly pale (straw), cloudy, and very unappetizing in nature. There was a surprisingly high amount of head that went with this, but it faded extremely rapidly in a seltzer-like watery manner. It doesn't really look very good. I'd give it a higher score but its look almost prevented me from going on.

While the smell has been heavily criticized by others, it actually isn't too bad in my view. It smells a lot like a gazpacho, which I enjoy. Notes of tomatoes, cilantro, celery, basil, lemon, and a slight saltiness. No fishy smell, no artificial feel, or any off-notes overall for that matter. Maybe the near year of aging has settled things overall? It's not great, but it perhaps won't cause any natural decay of any living beings that approach it just yet.

The flavor just might, however. This is awful. Notes of slimy tomatoes, old celery and cilantro, as well as a pervasive onion and garlic aroma that melds with a slightly salty, briny texture that must be from the clams. At first it wasn't so horrible, but then the aftertaste contained a mildly skunky, sulfurous note from the adjuncts, as well as a gritty, grainy flavor that melds with the briny qualities to horrific results. I took perhaps three sips before I started to gag. Thin, spritzy, with a texture that is pretty much the *opposite* reason why anyone would drink beer. This made me very sad.

I knew this would be horrible, but it's honestly an offensive tribute to Mexican micheladas, which are rather good, depending on how you make them. I've no clue who InBev was trying to cater to with this other than those that don't like beer, those who are okay with a dumbed down version of a michelada, and woeful sado-masochists such as myself. NOT FOR FANS OF BEER!

Ok, let me start off by saying I'm not a religious man. But this beer has made me believe that Satan is very real. I don't even know where to begin. Should I start with the atrocious excuse of a can design or the vomit inducing pungent smell? Whenever you open this literal sin to mankind I am convinced that the terrorist won if this this is even allowed to exist. Me and my friends were dumbfounded after tasting this. Is this a joke? Does this excuse of a beverage actually sell? Is this the one thing that slipped through the matrix? After taking a sip I felt like releasing the contents of my stomach and dying. I just don't know anymore.

2.63/5  rDev +30.8%

A: The beer is rather hazy orange yellow in color and has a moderate to high amount visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that rapidly dissipated and left a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of tomato and clam juice are present in the nose.
T: The taste very much follows the smell and seems like a Clamato drink that's been watered down a bit with added carbonation and a slight amount of bitterness. Notes of salty clams linger through the finish.
M: It feels nearly medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I didn't have much in the way of expectations for this "beer" but it's definitely a lot better than the Bud Light version of the Clamato Chelada and surprisingly seems to work well with the Budweiser. The carbonation and light amount of bitterness seemed to make the Clamato a little easier to drink whereas the Clamato flavors kept the Budweiser from being bland. I doubt that I would purchase this again, but I wouldn't have a problem drinking all 24 ounces of this beer if I had to (the Bud Light version was a different story and mostly got poured down the drain).

2.99/5  rDev +48.8%

A - pinkish orange with a ton of carbonation bubbles and an extremely fizzy, short lived head

S - tomato soup, faint lime, grains

T - tomato soup, faint lime, a bit salty in the finish

M - very crisp, light to medium bodied

This is similar to what I had to say about the picante version just the other day. This definitely won't satisfy any beer purists, but I could see where this beer has a purpose. I can see it as a beer for anyone who enjoys a bloody mary or needs a little hair of the dog. Though this isn't a great beer by any means it definitely achieves its goals.

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch