Budweiser & Clamato Chelada | Anheuser-Busch

anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Zorro on 06-24-2007

1.03/5  rDev -49%

Ever since i heard of this, I just had to try it. I don't know, I'm a sucker for pain. Plus, I had an absolutely devastating meal at Roy Rogers and instead of having to run to the loo on separate occasions, I figured I'd combine the two. 16oz can into my 12oz snifter.

A: Pink grapefruit pour with a massive white head that recedes almost as fast as the head on a soda. There's shit floating around in the beer and this looks ominous. Swirling this leaves a bunch of vegetative sediment on the side of the glass

S: Someone threw an unripened tomato, a cucumber, some salt and pepper into a blender. Maybe if i take a deep breath, I could get some corn from the bud but heck, i'd be comatose by then. Positively revolting and I'm not exaggerating.

T: Sweet corn, tomato, salt, cucumber, onion. Fuck it, give me a V8 instead. This is *horrendous*, beats the Michelob Ultra Pomegranate Raspberry hands down

M: I'd tell you if i swished it around but I couldn't bring myself to.

D: Why would you do this? I mean why?

Notes: I'm going to contradict myself and say that you need to try this. Just make sure that as you pour this down the drain, you only have cold water running - any hot water causes the release of volatiles and nausea on inhalation.

1.08/5  rDev -46.5%

Aroma is tomatoes, salt and mild malts/grains. The flavor is pretty much the same as the aroma. Could only stand a sip, knew it was going to be a mistake.

1.12/5  rDev -44.6%

Pours a medium-red color that resembles that of a tomato. One-finger head fades into almost nothing.

Aroma is full of tomato, salt and typical adjunct lager flavors. Pretty much expected.

Taste is full of tomato, salt and adjuncts. Very odd, interesting flavor. Not a fan of tomato and that's what I'm getting from this.

Mouthfeel is full of remaining salt and tomato. Hardly anything of the actual beer in this.

Yuck. Absolutely horrible idea, period. At least I tried it but I don't think I can stomach any more of this vile beverage.

Pours a kind of vomit color you see when people throw up from drinking too much, but not on an empty stomach, you know, with bits of food coloring mixed with fizzy yellow beer hodgepodge of stuff. Totally offputting. Head instantly disappeared within 3 seconds of the pour. Aroma, even worse than the appearance, smelled worse than budweiser, and somehow worse than tomato juice. I hate tomato juice. Somehow they made it even worse here.

Jeez, the taste is even worse than the smell. Has all the pepper of a super hot bloody mary, a bunch of bitter lemon, and the usual beechwood aged stuff, while palatable, is far from it here. Just a mouthful of salt, lemon, tomato juice and budweiser. I think the only way you could make this any worse would be to add body parts or pickles to it. This beer is 100 times worse than budweiser, if you can even call it a beer. Take a blender, put some oysters, tomatoes, shitty beer and tap water from a sucky area with tons of chlorine, and I think you can make this concoction.

This beer is a hate crime. Its the worst beer I've ever had. I always see empties next to or around dirty diapers in public parks for whatever reason.

1.06/5  rDev -47.5%

Appearance. Pours a lightly rusty tomato-juice red with a little gold.

Smell. Canned tomato juice, celery, a little bit of beer smell that's reminicent of the drips that you get on your hand when you're collecting those beer cans from a party the night before.

Taste. Clamato juice with extra celery, lime juice, and sweet, terrible bmc lager.

Mouthfeel. Medium body with a soft grainy texture, somewhat sticky, and light + carbonation.

Overall. Truly putrid. I hate to be this negative in a review, and rarely am, but this stuff is vile. I thought I could handle this, being a Caesar fan on occasion, but a few sips of this tall boy was enough. I would advise to never buy this beer, even out of curiosity as was the case for me. A rating of 1 seems very generous here.

3.14/5  rDev +55.4%

It was way better than expected. Not quite a "red" beer. Color is similar to watermellon juice; kind of pink. Soda pop foam when poured with no head or lace. Very pronounced Clamato aroma - fishy and tomatoey.. Ditto with the flavor. Not that bad, though, really. Actually I like it much better than a shandy. Wonder how it'd be using a weiss beer as a base instead of macro lagar. The Clamato totally dominates the Bud. Got it at a quick mart in North Miami Beach. Has almost no beer character. As far as being a great beer, the can says "drink alone or as a mixer". Read into that as you wish.

1.03/5  rDev -49%

A: Pours a murky ruby red grapefruit juice like color with very little head that fades incredibly quickly. There is no foam on the beer after it settles and no lacing at all. It's a bit darker than the Bud-Light version.

S: Again, this beer smells terrible. It smells of tomato, salt, and pepper.

T: It tastes of mild tomato, lime, salt, and pepper. It also has a bit of a tart finish. I actually think it's worse than the Bud-Light version.

M: Light bodied beer. It's slimey, and there is a bit of an effervescent carbonation in the finish.

O: It's bad and it's really gross. It is definitely worse than the other version. The rest of the can is headed down the drain.

3.42/5  rDev +69.3%

This is the hardest, most confounding beer review I have ever undertaken to write.

First off, this is to my knowledge the only premixed Chelada that's sold in the US. So I got nothing against which to judge it.

Secondly, I've had other Cheladas, made by mixing beers that are better than Bud with either V-8 or Clamato. Bizarrely, they didn't taste nearly as good as this one does.

My only reference point, then, is to compare this to other premixed beer cocktails. Normally, all premixed cocktails suck. That's just a rule of thumb: if you got the choice between a premixed margarita and a blend of tequila, lime, and triple sec, always take the latter. This is the only--ONLY--premixed cocktail I've ever had, of any kind, that is actually better than its handmade counterpart. That's worth at least a 3.0, right?

But then again, if this really is nothing but Bud mixed with Clamato, that's pretty lazy, right? And then again, it's not really beery--though neither is Wisconsin Red.

So.. So I'm going to to have vote with my gut on this one, away from standards the approbation of the beergeek majority, and away from any popularly recognized standards of style. This was one of the most surprisingly enjoyable things I have ever drank. It's not beergeek friendly. It's not by the standards of this site something that should be lauded. But it was pretty damn good.

Drank from a 24 oz. can. Bought this thinking it would taste like a michelada.

I know the rest of the U.S. probably hasn't heard of micheladas, but they are really good in the morning and are best served w/ a mexican beer such as Sol or Pacifico. touch of tomato juice, lots of lime, few shakes of salt and plenty of hot sauce (Valentina is the best for this).

A-B's version of this is NOT anywhere close to a michelada.

This abomination smells like clam poo-poo, if bivalves do indeed take a dump. The taste is even worse...I cant even begin to describe how nasty this is. I nearly wretch just trying to take a sip. How can they sell this stuff?

Mouthfeel is like a can of bud light that a dog has taken a crap in and left outside in 100 degree weather for 2 weeks.

Please avoid this at all costs, I beg you. Would never buy again, in fact I wouldnt drink a whole one of these if someone gave me 10 dollars. Worst thing I have ever tasted, no doubt.

2.07/5  rDev +2.5%

Reviewed to style.

Pours a cloudy pink tomato color with a short lived pink head. Smells of salty tomato juice, but not of beer. Tastes follows suit with flavors of tomato juice, brine, V8-like spices and a splash of tobasco in the aftertaste. Brine reminds me of the ocean. Tastes like salty, fishy, tomato ass. Still not getting any beer. Spritzy carbonation, medium-low body, budweiser mouthfeel. Spice lingers after I swallow. I cringe at the thought of drinking this again.

1.17/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Horrible. Just horrible. It looks like ruby red grapefruit juice. Zero head. Murky liquid with frightening floaties lurking in the depths. The aroma is mostly rotting vegetable matter with a light smack of clam. The flavor is fairly putrid. I've never had clamato, but I do like V-8. This is gross. I'm not sure what else to say about it. Well, I will say that Bud Chelada doesn't exactly belong on the same scale as a normal beer. It's not really possible to judge the brewing quality because it is very difficult to taste the beer. What I can judge is that the combination of this beer, Clamato, lime and salt is horrible.

2.83/5  rDev +40.1%

Allow me to start by saying that I have two friends who have enjoyed a variation of this for years. One used Straub and clamato and the other used Rolling Rock. I have had bloody beer before so this is not a real style shock for me.

I poured into a pint glass to a pinkish head. It looks like watered down tomato juice. It smells kind of like a bloody Mary. I did gently turn the cans a few times to mix the contents. The taste is as expected, mostly clamato. I prefer a generous addition of Tabasco. I enjoy it as an eye opener, but that's about it. It's an alternative to the blood Mary.

1.75/5  rDev -13.4%

2.5/5  rDev +23.8%

3.45/5  rDev +70.8%

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada has a very thin, pink head, which almost instantly fizzes away and a cloudy, pinkish-red appearance with little chunks of something floating about. The aroma is of the Gulf of Mexico and V-8 Juice, with just a hint of lime. Taste is of tomato, clam broth, lime flavor, and some possible beer showing up as well. Mouthfeel is somewhat heavy, and this concoction finishes soupy and weird. Well, I guess this is pretty good, and I would like to have it if I were ever in the mood for Budweiser, tomato juice, lime flavor, and clam broth. I doubt that I will ever be in the mood for that, however. But, one never knows. Overall, it's interesting, if nothing else.

RJT

3.09/5  rDev +53%

Great morning beer or hangover helper. pretty rough otherwise. Spicy tomato juice and a background of cheap beer makes this one go to the bottom but like I said, the morning after cure to get you going again !!

1.71/5  rDev -15.3%

a: A soupy pour gives a fleeting, fizzy head. The beer is a sort of opaque pink-red in color. Plenty of fine pulp in there.

s: Tomato juice, a touch of clam bed seawater, a hint of peppery spice. Light Bud aroma.

m: nasty tomato juice thick, low-med carbonation

t: Occasionally I'll take a sip and think it's interesting, and that's about the best thing I can say about it. Just a hint of grainy macro flavor, with a slight oystery saltiness hidden behind the dominant tomato juice flavor.

d: It is what it is, I guess