Bud Light & Clamato Chelada | Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Zorro on 06-26-2007

I can't get the flavor out of my mouth. Somebody help me. I tried licking the bottom of my shoe. This beer tastes of cheap light flavorless beer mixed with the worst tomato juice you can find then someone accidentally poured the water out of a fish tank into it, then dumped salt into it to bring out the flavor. Truly horrible.

Literally the WORST BEER I EVER HAD. JUST STOP PRODUCING THIS SHIT

Appearance is very similar to the Bud version with pink ruby red grapefruit juice coming to mind extremely fizzy pink tinted head dwindles down to nothing leaves tomato juice residuals clinging to the glass but no lace to speak of here. Slight mineral can smell going on with salty citric acid ocean breeze and Campbell's tomato soup in your nares. Flavor wise this one doesn't taste as much like acid reflux as the Bud counterpart more salty tomato and citrus notes flooding the senses. Really clears out my sinuses for some out reason still no beer flavor coming through just like a seafood infused tomato cocktail or better yet to be fare it's like gazpacho minus the heavy spiciness or herbal cilantro qualities. Maybe it could use some vegetation because this is a really hard can to get down on your own split it up on a Sunday afternoon and make it a cocktail hour. If your going to abuse beer like this don't let AB mix it for you grab some tomato juice a little salt and call it a Red Eye. Why do we have to throw in the clam saltiness and citrus flow, because that equates to acid reflux in your mouth. Mouthfeel is kinda viscous hell it has almost 2 grams of protein in it, carbonation is fizzy but tomato puree' and clam juice make this one pretty hearty. Drinkability pretty horrible in my standards, I had to attempt the Bud Light version because it kept staring me from the fridge after my Budweiser and Clamato experience the other night. Not as terrible as that was I guess because I'm somewhat prepared now, but this is by all means a drain pour unless your trying to be a tough guy and finish it just to say you did. By the way, I'm not going to pour this one and as I continue to abuse my palate it adjusts to the Chelada flow and it actually becomes more tolerable with each sip.

Had to try this oddball after my tour of the brewery in Fort Collins.

A - Pinkish orange and very turbid with a frothy head. Looks like vegetables and ice that have been through a food processor. A shade lighter than V8. Looks nothing at all like beer.

S - V8, seafood, and hot sauce. Smells like bloody mary mix.

T - Hot sauce, tomato puree, V8 with tobasco sauce, and clam juice. This is definitely not my thing, but it sure is unique. It's quite foul.

M - Thick V8 puree viscosity. Feels like drinking spaghetti sauce or vomit.

D - Not for me, but this could be a very viable alternative for those who dig bloody marys or V8, or like to re-ingest their own vomit. This is, along with Cave Creek Chili Beer, the wosrt beer of all time.

Alright, review #500. I wanted to pick a special beer for this one. But, I couldn't resist Chelada. I suppose it is indeed special. But, not in a good way.

I'd like to thank csmiley for the can. This one has about 6 months of age on it, so it is a vintage 2008 can.

Appearance: In color, it's reminiscent of grapefruit juice. It's very pink with a slight orange hue to it. There's a lot of haze in there. A forceful pour only yielded a foamy white head that was about a finger deep. It dissipated quickly and left no lacing to speak of.

Smell: The nose isn't exactly a modicum of strength or depth. There is a distinct tomato smell to it. It's definitely salty smelling. There's also some light pepper and perhaps other spices. There's also an interesting soup-like aroma to it. Honestly, it's very weird and unimpressive. It's biggest fault is that it doesn't smell anything like beer. Not even bad beer.

Taste: I can honestly say that this is worse than I was expecting and I was expecting bad. Really bad. It's very heavy on tomato. That, in and of itself, is a horrible thing for a beer. It's very salty and that flavor resonates well into the aftertaste. It's a little peppery and spicy. There is an interesting soup flavor. Reminds of a chicken noodle broth. I'm not picking up any clam, but trust me, it wouldn't add anything positive here. It finishes like it started...full on tomato and salt blast.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied and watery. Not smooth at all. Carbonation is very high and buzzy. Drinkability is awful. I made a promise to drink the entire can and I intend to. But, damn...it is going to be a mighty struggle.

Wow. Bud Light Chelada takes it to a whole new level. How and why is this called beer? There's a not a single quality that justifies it being labeled as such. Having said that, this is truly the worst beer that's ever touched these lips. I'm still wondering if there's a way I can rate it lower. It doesn't deserve a "1" in the least. There's not a single, positive redeeming quality that could be built upon or improved. Bottom line, it's a train wreck.

Thanks for the opportunity and the experience, Chris. I'd love to say this is forgettable, but this awful beer will haunt my tastebuds for years to come.

Tallboy can from Chavez Supermarket. Bought this out of morbid curiosity, and it was everything I thought it would be.

Pours a hazy pinkish color with a rapidly disintegrating white head. Makes a sound as it fades, almost like pop rocks. Leaves some really weird residue on the glass.

Aroma is awful. Tomato, salt, lime, and clam. Yes, the clam is noticeable.

Flavor starts off not terrible, with tomato, lime, salt and crappy adjunct lager. Then the aftertaste hits you like a mack truck in the face. What is it? I really can't tell you. All I know is that it's plasticky and disgusting. Maybe rotting cellophane soaked in clam juice?

Light and boring on the palate with salty dryness.

This is sickening and very hard to drink. I didn't think this could be worse than the Indian Wells beers I recently had, but it was. This beer fails so badly in so many ways that it's utterly mind-blowing. Yes, I have had a real chelada, and this is infinitely worse than that was. This is the epitome of a perfect low score. Congrats, Anheuser-Busch, you did it!

If you are looking for a beer, don't drink this. Sure, you may be attracted to the odd combination of clam juice, tomato, and beer, wait, that doesn't sound good at all. The sole use for this beverage is to give to your friends when they first wake up from a hangover. Watch as they take one sip and then erupt like a volcano!

I was curious about this and picked a can up from the gas station. Got home and poured it into a pilsner glass. It looks like carbonated tomato juice. I took one gulp, swallowed, and immediately began retching and dry heaving. I kid you not, it tastes like you just vomited in your mouth and swallowed it back down. I ran straight to the bathroom thinking I was about to lose my lunch, and poured the rest down the toilet. This is the most vile concoction I've ever had in my life. Absolutely putrid. This is not just the worst beer I've ever tasted, it's the worst beverage I've ever tasted. For the life of me I can't figure out how anyone could enjoy this. But considering the fact that this has been on the market for five years, someone out there does.

24 oz can poured into a large mug.
10236 on the bottom of the can. "DO NOT SHAKE! Rotate gently to mix. With salt and lime, The perfect combination."

I highly doubt that.

A - Mixed in the can per instructions, this pours an insanely effervescent dirty tomato juice red. Floating in the abomination are chunks like mineral deposits. The head is nearly impossible to capture on camera as it disappears almost instantly, leaving behind a disgusting film covering the surface.

S - Rancid tomato soup and fabric band-aid give this beer a truly horrific aroma. I'll be totally honest that I'm actually pretty scared to try this.

T - I used to ate tomatoes. Recently I've become somewhat of a fan of them. Eating cherry tomatoes on, say, salad, startles loved ones into thinking somethings very wrong with me. Thanks to Chelada, I think I can never eat tomatoes again. Awful doesn't even begin to describe how wretched this tastes. Rotten tomato, salt, no lime to speak of, and to top it off...Bud Light. *Sigh

M - Avoiding taking another tiny sip to gauge the feel isn't very hard. But I press on... Insanely carbonated and effervescent, this makes Champagne feel flat. It's light-bodied and salty finishing.

O - Bud Light Chelada is by far the worst thing I've ever laid lips on. Terrifying beyond belief, nothing, not even this review, could possibly prepare someone for how quickly they'd want to run to the drain with this. If I go to hell when I die, this will surely be the only beverage available to me to quench a fire-and-brimstone-fueled thirst.

Bud Light & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch