Bud Light & Clamato Chelada | Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Zorro on 06-26-2007

I was curious about this and picked a can up from the gas station. Got home and poured it into a pilsner glass. It looks like carbonated tomato juice. I took one gulp, swallowed, and immediately began retching and dry heaving. I kid you not, it tastes like you just vomited in your mouth and swallowed it back down. I ran straight to the bathroom thinking I was about to lose my lunch, and poured the rest down the toilet. This is the most vile concoction I've ever had in my life. Absolutely putrid. This is not just the worst beer I've ever tasted, it's the worst beverage I've ever tasted. For the life of me I can't figure out how anyone could enjoy this. But considering the fact that this has been on the market for five years, someone out there does.

2.25/5  rDev +26.4%

3.24/5  rDev +82%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I think you first have to know what Clamato tastes like, and at least moderately enjoy the stuff. That's basically what this Bud Light Chelada tastes like, with, as the label notes, "el inigualable sabor de Clamato." Since I can't really taste whether there is beer in this or not, it's a vast improvement over plain Bud Light, which is generally agreed to taste like metallic club soda.

Salty and sweet, a nice tang of something like jalapenos, and you're on your way to rehydration. I don't believe anyone has mentioned that this would be the correct beer pairing with menudo.

It does make you cringe a little when you pour this into a tumbler (not one of my Belgian beer glasses, sorry). Salmon pink with a big head that crumbles into some strangely big bubbles, and then flatness. That's why musicman575 is correct in saying it is intended to drunk from the can. More spritz that way.

1.03/5  rDev -42.1%

I for one can't imagine why this product would have ever been made. The only reason i can think of is that the high ups at Budweiser were piss drunk in the Caribbean some where and spilled there clams on the half shell into their beer and were so drunk they thought it tasted good. And in a black out stooper created this beer and marketed it before they sobered up. Shame on you Budweiser, shame on you. The beer is slightly pink with a horrendous smell think (the bottom of your tackle box in mid July) it tastes even worse; how that's possible
I don't know. I can only think it's taste comes form all the chemicals involved in keeping clam juice from spoiling. My overall opinion of this product is it's straight crap.

2.18/5  rDev +22.5%

Poured from 16oz pounder into a pint glass. I just tried the regular-Bud version of Chelada a few minutes ago, so we'll see if the Bud Light version is any different at all.

Appearance: hazy salmon pink, again, with a little fizzy foam that dissipates instantly. Not intriguing.

Smell: lightly sweet bloody mary mix, just like its big brother, except here there's a hint of that artificial plastic-like aroma which pervades plain ol' Bud Light. Not good at all.

Taste: kind of like the regular chelada, but lighter, more artificial and slightly less appetizing. Still, if what you are looking for is cheap beer mixed with tomato, then this will pretty much deliver.

Mouthfeel: light, lightly carbonated, bland but not completely insipid.

Overall: it's hard to wax poetic about a brew like this. Do I like it? No. Is there something here for some people? Sure. But, I will say, if you're going to go the chelada route -- do the regular Bud, not the Bud Light version.

1.5/5  rDev -15.7%

1.75/5  rDev -1.7%

3.34/5  rDev +87.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 4

I really like a red beer and this one is no exception. The color is not the best as it's sort of a pinkish color and not a lot of head. It's a little spicy and goes down really smooth and the aftertaste is really nice. Has a hint of lime and it's slightly salty. I think it's pretty decent red beer, but not something I'd drink all night long but is a good starter for the evening.

2.37/5  rDev +33.1%

Oooh this is weird. It's poured into a meaningless glass because this beer was purchased as a joke. I might not finish it.

It foams up quite a bit when pouring into the glass, and after the head settles there is a fine lacing of tomato particles. It is a cloudy pinkish red reminiscent of water that was just rung out of a rag that was used to wipe up kool-aid from a dirty floor.

The smell is perhaps the best representation of what "awkward" smells like. It smells like rubber balloons, fruit punch, cantaloupe, and sweaty men. It wants to smell good, but it just doesn't quite do it.

The taste is pretty unique, I didn't think a flavor like this would have ever existed on purpose, but Bud decided it needed to happen. It is mildly spicy, a little sweet, very slightly salty, and nothing like beer. It tastes like some children dumped a bunch of tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce, and cheap champagne into a glass. There are good flavors in here but they got into a fight with each other in the can and the result is unpleasant. I like the sweetness and the tangyness, and I kind of like the spicyness, just not together.

It is tingly, warmly spicy, and pretty light in the mouth. Swish it a bit and the bubbles and spicy character put on a decent show. The mouthfeel is certainly the crowning achievement of this beverage, worthy of a dollar store participation medal.

Overall, this isn't a beer. This is bad and my roommate hated it. I think I'll be able to finish this 24 ounce can, but I'm not sure yet. You know those awkward Christmas presents that you get from your grandparents sometimes? Well this is that, but in a "beer."

3.5/5  rDev +96.6%