Bud Light & Clamato Chelada | Anheuser-Busch

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Zorro on 06-26-2007

1.75/5  rDev -3.3%

3.8/5  rDev +109.9%

I'm reviewing this product purely for what it is, not as compared to any other beer.

I love a good tomato juice (particularly homemade stuff by people who know what they're doing, like my mom used to, and another woman from my hometown who made rich, spicy tomato juice specifically for mixing with beer) and though this stuff doesn't really compare to good homemade tomato juice mixed with a better beer, for the convenience, and for what it is, I have to say I love the stuff.

One or two of these after work really hit the spot for me. With it's lower alcohol content (4.2%) it doesn't hit hard, and the tomato/Clamato flavor along with the seasonings is almost food-like in a way. A little heavy on the salt, but overall, and again, knowing what this stuff is (Bud Light's macro version of something that can be better with a little TLC) it's not bad at all, IMO.

Rated purely for what it is, I give it a 4.0. Up against good beers of all types and styles, maybe a 1.5.

1.37/5  rDev -24.3%

WOW!!!! Got this can against warnings from friends and others. Had to laugh that on the side of the can, it read that Bud Light Chelada is the "official cerveza" of Team Mexico in the 2012 London Olympics! Bwahaha!!! Well before I give my review of this beer, I am a very big Bloody Mary Afficianado, so this style would typically be up my alley minus the Bud Light, but I am giving this a fair try.

GOD AWFUL! appearance of watered down V8, nose had something to say with tomato juice and lime (very little tho), taste was horrendous, like an overseasoned bloody mary but the bartender tried covering it up with a bad beer. No taste of the clamato at all, just bad beer & salty tomato juice combined, no joke. The mouthfeel was the worst part, it was like carbonated tomato beer that teases your gag reflex. 22 oz. was way too much as well, poured out 18 oz. I'm very surprised Mexico would support this horrendous mudpie of a refreshment. Utter PUKE!!!! DO NOT TRY!!!

1.4/5  rDev -22.7%

From the label:
"Bud light and clamato. With salt and lime. The perfect combination."

Poured into a maudite tulip.

A: I might have heard a demon escape as I popped the tab.. Color, somewhere between ruby grapefruit, and skanky salmon. A full white head on top that slowly settles back into the body of the beer, lightning quick.

S: The first scent that comes throught is bud light, although that is quickly trampled by canned tomato, celery salt, and possibly some garlic or chili powder. It smells like early stages of cooking chili with way too much bad beer in it.

T: Imagine the flavor combination of cold leftover chili, and bad bloody mary mix. For being so thin and watery, it certainly packs a punch of flavor, not very good flavor mind you, but flavor none the less.

M: Watery.. very watery. The carbonation is fine in size, and does nothing to help out this disaster of a beverage. The carbonation acts like small burst of napalm spreading terrible all over your tongue.

O: Overall I think this might have some sort of culinary application, but I am not going to try it out, seeing as how I would have to taste it again to find out. Although I will hand it to BudLight, they were generous enough to provide 24 ounces of this beer even though all you really ever need is 1 ounce.

2.89/5  rDev +59.7%

24oz can
Served in a conical pint glass

A - It pours a reddish orange. The pinkish head is gone before I can really distinguish the color.

S - It smells like tomato juice.

T - It tastes like carbonated tomato juice.

M - Moderate

O - I started feeling a little hung over today and thought a bloody beer might help. I prefer to add hot sauce to this beer. Maybe I should mix this with my Ghost Scorpion?

3.35/5  rDev +85.1%

OK first, I think this beer or mixed beer is a bit underrated. Maybe because I remember my dad using beer and clamato juice the day after putting on a good one. My opinion is that this is an OK beer on a hot day or (morning after) if you want something that's got some salt to help keep you hydrated, decent flavor if you like tomato juice, and its pretty easy on the taste buds. IMHO, you can't judge this beer for anything but what it is. A tomato based brew meant for a certain occasion. But, thats my opinion. Anyway, I give it an average rating. Its a specialty beer to me.

1.03/5  rDev -43.1%

Appearance: Pinkish orange with little carbonation.

Smell: Raunchy tomato soup

Taste: By far the most putrid substance that has ever graced my lips. Rotten tomatos and salt are the first thing that come to mind. The bud light is almost non existent in this drink, normally that would be good, but I almost wished it resembled it more.

Mouthfeel: Thin, yet heavy at the same time... if that makes sense.

Overall, I'd rather not drink than pick this up again.

1.25/5  rDev -30.9%

1.21/5  rDev -33.1%

16 oz can bought for...well to trick some friends of mine.

A - An odd pinkish peach colored body. Some foamy bubbles but no head to really speak of.

S - Smells like salsa with a twang of corny sweetness on the finish. Vile clam and tomato juice.

T - The initial taste isn't too terrible. Tomato juice with some clammy and salty notes. The aftertaste is just miserable though. Salty and skunky. Bleh...mouth feel is carbonated and sort of light.

O - This is just gross. One for the worst things I've ever tasted. The aroma just seems rotten and the aftertaste is off putting and lasting. Avoid, avoid, avoid, AVOID!!!!

Bud Light & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch