Bud Light & Clamato Chelada | Anheuser-Busch

anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Zorro on 06-26-2007

3.91/5  rDev +119.7%

It appears to be something akin to watery tomato juice. Not necessarily appetizing at all. It smells much better than it looks. Dried chili pepper, lime, tomato, and lager aromas. The mouthfeel is wet with a nice carbonation/spice on the back of the throat. A very pleasing gardeny and lime flavor that is the only thing that can hit that spot. A good bloody Mary, maybe, but it wouldn't be nearly as thirst quenching. I love it! I've always loved it. I'm as happy as a clam(ato) that I found a local retailer who sells it in sixers.

1.14/5  rDev -36%

Bought this one for the soul purpose of punishing myself and my palate. Served from can into a Stone 15th Anniversary snifter. Poured grapefruit red with a half finger pure white head that subsided to an almost non-existent amount instantly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, tomato juice, salt, and broken dreams. The flavor was of sweet malt, salt, tomato juice, hot sauce, lime, and seared palate. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was just plain bad... Why would anyone ever make something like this? And on top of that, put it in a 24 oz format!? Apparently there is SOMEONE buying this enough to keep it on the shelves at gas stations around here. I'm not even sure if Chuck Norris could down a full can of this on a good day. The can tells me 'Bud Light beer with natural flavor and certified color'. What the Hell is certified color supposed to mean!? I think I'm going to have to drink battery acid and start over from scratch on my palate. On another note, when this was drain poured it actually stained the sink... Not sure how I feel about this. Highly recommended!

1.5/5  rDev -15.7%

1.37/5  rDev -23%

big 24oz can slightly warmer than fridge temp poured into a bulb style glass. no freshness info.

pours out a reddish, pink, grapefruit color. the pinkish white head fizzles away in seconds. lots of tiny slimey, pulpy chunks both in the beer and clinging to the glass, tomatoe juice? when it sits still for a bit it seperates into layers. by far the worst looking beer ive ever seen, it just looks so unappealing.

rotten tomatoe juice, some salt, maybe even some briney clam juice. the bud light base is pretty much undetectable.

yuck...pretty much all clamato, and very little beer flavor. tomatoe juice is the most noticable, salty with just a hint of lime. briney. slightly more budlight noticable than in the aroma.

light bodied, salty, briney feel in the worst way possible. carbonation is slightly prickly.

so unbearably undrinkable. i had to force myself even to take the smallest sip. thank god this review is over so i can pour it down the drain. repulsive...

1.33/5  rDev -25.3%

A: Pours a murky grapefruit juice like color with about 2 fingers of head that fade incredibly quickly. There is no foam on the beer after it settles and no lacing at all.

S: Uggh. This beer smells terrible. It smells of tomato, salt, and pepper.

T: This beer is quite strange. It tastes of mild tomato, lime, salt, and pepper. It also has a bit of a tart finish.

M: Light bodied beer. It's slimey, and there is a bit of an effervescent carbonation in the finish.

O: It's bad. It's no as bad as I was expecting, but it's really gross. The rest of the can is headed down the drain.

1.2/5  rDev -32.6%

I think I nearly broke the BA database with when I gave Budweiser Chelada a totally decent review (rDev +42.3%). But, seriously, it was pretty good. The clamato was thick and rich, tasted like nutrients and vitamins and shit, and the Bud actually did a nice job of complimenting the juice, fizzing everything up.

This--this was something completely different. They use, like, a severely watered down version of the Clamato, one that tastes like if you mixed saltwater and red food coloring and then added a squirt of ketchup into the vat. Add to that a splash of Bud Light and you get the gist of what this concoction is like.

So, huh. That's all I can say: huh. This fella's big brother was inexplicably much, much better than I had anticipated. That made me, stupid sheep that I am, open my mind wide enough to allow myself to try this, and it is exactly as bad as you would imagine it to be.

Im not going with an average BA style review with this beast.

I shared this with a few friends, and drain poured at least half of the 22oz can. I wanted to be as objective as possible, and I really gave it the ole college try... however this concoction refused to play fair, it doesnt come to the table with anything that could resemble decent or even average attributes. The only way i could imagine this being a beverage of choice would be if you grew up with every person in your family drinking clam and tomato juice for health reasons, and one day, someone said, lets add bad beer to it and it caught on.

Simply stated, this is the single worst liquid I have ever encountered in all the years of my adult life. As we broke open the can it, laughs and groans were heard as the waft of salty fish, (not clam... bad fish, like salt cod) wafted to our noses. Rancid tomato breaks through here and there. Pours a puke vegetable juice color. Literally looks like a wine drunk vomit after eating a salt stick. Salt granules literally stick to the sides of the glass.

The taste is something to be envied by any school lunch room double dare concoction. It hits the palate with a offensive tomato clam broth, followed by a tabasco sauce medley which isnt spicy, its more pointy... like its actually uncomfortable. Beyond my wildest nightmares of how awful something could be. Mouthfeel is thick and grainy and more pronounced after every filthy gag or clam salted burp. It reminds me of bad fishing bait.

Some of us, couldnt get past this first initial swig (me), but my friend downed at least 12 oz of bud light clamato. He rated it a 4 out of 10... I gagged thinking about it for days to come, and my stomach didnt feel right for about 4 hours after.

I know by reading some of the other reviews that this is a hit or miss for most... Lets just say I wouldnt drink this again if you paid me 100 bucks an oz.

Bud Light & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch