Bud Light & Clamato Chelada | Anheuser-Busch

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Zorro on 06-26-2007

Reviews: 151 | Ratings: 398
3.26/5  rDev +84.2%

So, my friend Danielle and I came up with a way to enjoy the Bud Light Chelada in a more recreational, college crazy way. A pint glass half filled w the lovely pink Chelada, serves as the receiving half of what we call the 'Mater Bomb'. This title is attributed to our former colleague Shannon who witnessed our crazy brainstorming session. A shot of vodka with lime juice is dropped into the Chelada and consumed in an animalistic nature. The Spanish speaking cousin to the 'Mater Bomb' is''El Mater Bomb''. You guessed it, replace the vodka with tequila and you have yourself 'El Mater Bomb' Give it a try, but drink responsibly.

3.91/5  rDev +120.9%

It appears to be something akin to watery tomato juice. Not necessarily appetizing at all. It smells much better than it looks. Dried chili pepper, lime, tomato, and lager aromas. The mouthfeel is wet with a nice carbonation/spice on the back of the throat. A very pleasing gardeny and lime flavor that is the only thing that can hit that spot. A good bloody Mary, maybe, but it wouldn't be nearly as thirst quenching. I love it! I've always loved it. I'm as happy as a clam(ato) that I found a local retailer who sells it in sixers.

1.14/5  rDev -35.6%

Bought this one for the soul purpose of punishing myself and my palate. Served from can into a Stone 15th Anniversary snifter. Poured grapefruit red with a half finger pure white head that subsided to an almost non-existent amount instantly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, tomato juice, salt, and broken dreams. The flavor was of sweet malt, salt, tomato juice, hot sauce, lime, and seared palate. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was just plain bad... Why would anyone ever make something like this? And on top of that, put it in a 24 oz format!? Apparently there is SOMEONE buying this enough to keep it on the shelves at gas stations around here. I'm not even sure if Chuck Norris could down a full can of this on a good day. The can tells me 'Bud Light beer with natural flavor and certified color'. What the Hell is certified color supposed to mean!? I think I'm going to have to drink battery acid and start over from scratch on my palate. On another note, when this was drain poured it actually stained the sink... Not sure how I feel about this. Highly recommended!

1.37/5  rDev -22.6%

big 24oz can slightly warmer than fridge temp poured into a bulb style glass. no freshness info.

pours out a reddish, pink, grapefruit color. the pinkish white head fizzles away in seconds. lots of tiny slimey, pulpy chunks both in the beer and clinging to the glass, tomatoe juice? when it sits still for a bit it seperates into layers. by far the worst looking beer ive ever seen, it just looks so unappealing.

rotten tomatoe juice, some salt, maybe even some briney clam juice. the bud light base is pretty much undetectable.

yuck...pretty much all clamato, and very little beer flavor. tomatoe juice is the most noticable, salty with just a hint of lime. briney. slightly more budlight noticable than in the aroma.

light bodied, salty, briney feel in the worst way possible. carbonation is slightly prickly.

so unbearably undrinkable. i had to force myself even to take the smallest sip. thank god this review is over so i can pour it down the drain. repulsive...

1.33/5  rDev -24.9%

A: Pours a murky grapefruit juice like color with about 2 fingers of head that fade incredibly quickly. There is no foam on the beer after it settles and no lacing at all.

S: Uggh. This beer smells terrible. It smells of tomato, salt, and pepper.

T: This beer is quite strange. It tastes of mild tomato, lime, salt, and pepper. It also has a bit of a tart finish.

M: Light bodied beer. It's slimey, and there is a bit of an effervescent carbonation in the finish.

O: It's bad. It's no as bad as I was expecting, but it's really gross. The rest of the can is headed down the drain.

1.2/5  rDev -32.2%

I think I nearly broke the BA database with when I gave Budweiser Chelada a totally decent review (rDev +42.3%). But, seriously, it was pretty good. The clamato was thick and rich, tasted like nutrients and vitamins and shit, and the Bud actually did a nice job of complimenting the juice, fizzing everything up.

This--this was something completely different. They use, like, a severely watered down version of the Clamato, one that tastes like if you mixed saltwater and red food coloring and then added a squirt of ketchup into the vat. Add to that a splash of Bud Light and you get the gist of what this concoction is like.

So, huh. That's all I can say: huh. This fella's big brother was inexplicably much, much better than I had anticipated. That made me, stupid sheep that I am, open my mind wide enough to allow myself to try this, and it is exactly as bad as you would imagine it to be.

Im not going with an average BA style review with this beast.

I shared this with a few friends, and drain poured at least half of the 22oz can. I wanted to be as objective as possible, and I really gave it the ole college try... however this concoction refused to play fair, it doesnt come to the table with anything that could resemble decent or even average attributes. The only way i could imagine this being a beverage of choice would be if you grew up with every person in your family drinking clam and tomato juice for health reasons, and one day, someone said, lets add bad beer to it and it caught on.

Simply stated, this is the single worst liquid I have ever encountered in all the years of my adult life. As we broke open the can it, laughs and groans were heard as the waft of salty fish, (not clam... bad fish, like salt cod) wafted to our noses. Rancid tomato breaks through here and there. Pours a puke vegetable juice color. Literally looks like a wine drunk vomit after eating a salt stick. Salt granules literally stick to the sides of the glass.

The taste is something to be envied by any school lunch room double dare concoction. It hits the palate with a offensive tomato clam broth, followed by a tabasco sauce medley which isnt spicy, its more pointy... like its actually uncomfortable. Beyond my wildest nightmares of how awful something could be. Mouthfeel is thick and grainy and more pronounced after every filthy gag or clam salted burp. It reminds me of bad fishing bait.

Some of us, couldnt get past this first initial swig (me), but my friend downed at least 12 oz of bud light clamato. He rated it a 4 out of 10... I gagged thinking about it for days to come, and my stomach didnt feel right for about 4 hours after.

I know by reading some of the other reviews that this is a hit or miss for most... Lets just say I wouldnt drink this again if you paid me 100 bucks an oz.

2.89/5  rDev +63.3%

Disregard my scores for this beer. None of the criteria really apply to this concoction.

I drank it right out of the can, the way it was intended to be drank. The can itself just looked like an ad - something corporate and artificial. No, I didn't stick my nose in the mouth of the can to try to smell it. I think this is best drank in the dark.

(clam + tomato juice) + cheap beer = Chelada. The idea of squeezing a bunch of tomatoes and a bunch of clams together in one pot doesn't sound great, but somehow it tastes...why, it tastes okay! Throw in a soft-drink-like beer substance and you have yourself a fizzy, salty, substancial, hearty drink. If it was made with fine ingredients and some added hot sauce, this has potential to be something very enjoyable. I guess I'll have to make my own chelada at home (I wonder what kind of beer I should use).

3.3/5  rDev +86.4%

Bud Light & Clamato Chelada has a medium, pink head, which instantly fizzes away and an opaque red appearance, with golden splotches left on the side of the glass. The aroma is of tomato juice and a slight whiff of clam broth. Taste is of tomato juice, clam broth, lime flavor, and maybe some Bud Light. The body is medium to thick, and Bud Light Chelada finishes soupy, like a watery clam chowder. Overall, for what it is (an odd concoction), it’s pretty enjoyable. I recommend it for someone who would like to try something different.

RJT

1.03/5  rDev -41.8%

Can (2011)

Texas Liquor
Carlsbad, CA

Hazy light orange and pink--almost like the color of grapefruit flesh. There is absolutely zero head, no matter how forcefully I pour, and it leaves the glass clean, except for this sick looking, hazy film.

This is a vile aroma: old tomato, celery, and dirty pond water.

The flavor follows the nose: stale dishwater, salt, bitter vegetables (celery), and a bit of stinging, though disappearing spice.

Thin, though intensely carbonated (in the mouth, not at all in appearance), and a bit metallic.

Without a doubt, the worst beer I've put to my lips (yes, worse than 12+ year old 4.5% ABV Last Drop Bitter).

Back in the 1970s, I laughed my way through a John Waters cinematic grossfest called Pink Flamingos. Then, I found it extra bonus fun to take a unsuspecting girlfriend to this flick and watch her get repulsed to the core, capped off by the infamous closing poodle scene.

Although I've long left those sort of cheap thrills behind, I get a similar pang of nostalgia from those days when someone spots the can or two of Bud Light Chelada that I usually keep in the fridge and recoils in horror.

Me, I listen to my taste buds, which tell me that there's nothing wrong with a fizzy, beer flavored Clamato (especially after shaking in a few drops of Tapatio hot sauce). It's like the girlfriend your parents hate, the husband's best friend that his wife can't stand, and best of all - the one beer in the fridge that nobody else will drink no matter what. And I like it.

BONUS CHELADA EXPERIENCE

Go to Tijuana during the Tequila Expo in October where they serve Chelada with a tart Tamarind/Sugar rim. Now that's a mariachi party in your mouth, hot Latina groupies included.

Recommended food pairing: streets taco or a bacon wrapped hot dog.

3.9/5  rDev +120.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Consumed from a pint glass, poured out of a tall can.

I enjoy clamato a whole lot more than I enjoy Bud Light, and thus this delivers the taste with a small amount of alcohol.

The color is cloudy redish, basically what you would expect if you poured Bloody Mary mix into a pint of cheap beer appearance wise.

wow. this is tortuous to write.

appearance is a mix between guava juice and regurgitated guave juice

smells like a dirty beach and ketchup

so hard to swallow. salt and clam taste hits hard.

it felt like someone hit me so hard my tastebuds felt it. im sure now that micheladas are a beers worst enemy.

Pours a tangerine color with bubbly, soapy head that quickly disappears. Smells like Bud Light with a little tomato mixed in. Tastes like tomato juice mixed with water. Mouthfeel is light, sweet, and mildly carbonated.

WTF? How do they get away with selling this?! If you like V8 you'll like this, if not you're SOL.

1.32/5  rDev -25.4%

Can into pint glass
A – No head at all, yet appears highly carbonated. An opaque pink-red grapefruit juice color 1.5
S –Tomoto puree and grain scents, overall not an enjoyable scent 2
T – Watered down tomato juice, lots of salt, lime and that funky ocean/sea scent that you smell in the back bays/marinas around rotting marine life. Another sip honestly reminded me of vomit itself and/or the experience of throwing-up. 1.5
M – Over carbonated & watery 1.5
O – I can honestly say I have never done a drain-pour ever before this drink. I felt like I was drinking my own digestive juices/vomit with this beverage and was physically and mentally unable to continue consuming it. 1

1.28/5  rDev -27.7%

Picked this up along with Budweiser Chelada and split with ShanePB. We had to see just how bad they could be.

A: As we consumed from the can, couldn't get a good look, but it looked to be light red/pink in color. Rather bubbly.

S: Peppery tomatoes, a bit of horseradish, and a little bit of grain. Smells rather briny/salty. Certainly did not make me look forward to taking a sip.

T: Overly salty with synthetic tasting tomato juice. Some pepper and horseradish give it some spice. There is also some onion as well. Tastes much worse than regular Bud Light.

M: Light bodied with medium to high carbonation. Very fizzy.

O: Terrible, it amazes me that this product is still produced. I can't imagine it sustains itself off the curiosity of BAs though. Someone has to be buying it and I would love to know who.

24 oz can poured into a large mug.
10236 on the bottom of the can. "DO NOT SHAKE! Rotate gently to mix. With salt and lime, The perfect combination."

I highly doubt that.

A - Mixed in the can per instructions, this pours an insanely effervescent dirty tomato juice red. Floating in the abomination are chunks like mineral deposits. The head is nearly impossible to capture on camera as it disappears almost instantly, leaving behind a disgusting film covering the surface.

S - Rancid tomato soup and fabric band-aid give this beer a truly horrific aroma. I'll be totally honest that I'm actually pretty scared to try this.

T - I used to ate tomatoes. Recently I've become somewhat of a fan of them. Eating cherry tomatoes on, say, salad, startles loved ones into thinking somethings very wrong with me. Thanks to Chelada, I think I can never eat tomatoes again. Awful doesn't even begin to describe how wretched this tastes. Rotten tomato, salt, no lime to speak of, and to top it off...Bud Light. *Sigh

M - Avoiding taking another tiny sip to gauge the feel isn't very hard. But I press on... Insanely carbonated and effervescent, this makes Champagne feel flat. It's light-bodied and salty finishing.

O - Bud Light Chelada is by far the worst thing I've ever laid lips on. Terrifying beyond belief, nothing, not even this review, could possibly prepare someone for how quickly they'd want to run to the drain with this. If I go to hell when I die, this will surely be the only beverage available to me to quench a fire-and-brimstone-fueled thirst.

1.52/5  rDev -14.1%

Matt aka mdaschaf and I came across both Bud Light and Budweiser Chelada at Discount Liquors in Rehoboth, DE sitting in the cooler. $1.75 each, I just absolutely had to try it for the curiosity of it. Consumed from the 16 ounce can.

A: Obviously, I couldn't get much of a visual on it, but from what I could see in the light and what remained around the lip of the can after each sip, it had a watery light red / pink body. Essentially, tomato juice watered down with some bubbles added for carbonation.

S: Tomato puree, pepper, slight horseradish, onion and some very light grains. In no way does this resemble anything of a beer but then again this "style" is supposed to be a blending anyway, so it is what it is. The Bud Light version smelled much less potent than the Budweiser, but both had essentially the same characteristics.

T: Rotten tomato paste, red chilis, red onions, celery, spinach and a hint of spicy horseradish in the end. I can't get anything in terms of Bud Light nor any beer for that matter in here. The additional items blended on top of the beer simply overpower this and leave no traces of beer behind. It's rather unfortunate because even a more pronounced Bud Light flavor, as crappy as it is on its own, would have helped give this a much needed cut in the flavor.

M: Fizzy, watery, light bodied. For using Bud Light, I guess this is pretty in line though I would have thought the adjuncts would have at least given this some type of body.

It was fun to actually try this beer after seeing it at the "bottom of the list" in terms of worst beers on BA. I mean, we each only took a few sips from each can and then pitched them, but from someone who's actually had an authentic michelada, this is a terrible disservice and insult to the traditional drink.

3.46/5  rDev +95.5%

24oz can poured into a Budweiser pint glass.

Appearance - Chicos taco's sauce. Watery looking tomato juice. Opaque with visible particulate matter. No head. Weird looking, but proper for the style.

Smell - No smell. Vaguely like clamato. No offensive or off smells, just odorless.

Taste - Tastes more like clamato than beer. Has a nice bite. If you think of it as a Clamato while taking a sip, it's delicious. Tomato and sweetness with a slight undercurrent of bud light. Better than regular clamato. But if you think of it as a beer when taking a sip, it's kinda weird. Surprisingly enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - Clean with a crisp bite.

Overall Drinkability - Actually really enjoyed this. First time I had it I thought it was pretty gross, maybe because I was drinking it sort of warm from the can. Chilled in a glass is pretty worthy.

1.11/5  rDev -37.3%

I opened this with high hopes for a easily accessible Michelada. I'm not sure what I was thinking as it is a Bud product.
It pours thin fizzy red hued with lots of foam but no head. It smells of rancid tomato juice, like juice that you had forgotten in the back of the fridge for a year. The taste, it makes me think that if I were drinking bud light while eating salsa and had a problem with backwashing into the bottle, this would be the last ounce.
Overall, I really believe that the Michelada is a viable beer cocktail that has its time and place, but this is not it and is simply a terrible example of it.

1.63/5  rDev -7.9%

24oz tall can into Portsmouth snifter. I feel like I’m sullying my glass. Thankfully split five ways.

A: Pours a very like pink that actually looks like a really good lambic or something. The head was too short lived though, and I didn’t notice the color. Now the beer looks plain and flat.
S: Smells of sweet synthetic tomato juice, brine, and tomato soup. Kind of ketchupy and spicy.
T: I don’t know how people can drink this. I guess if you REALLY like tomato juice this would be passible as a beverage, but man is this gross. This tastes like ketchup mixed with water and acidic bile. The finish is salty.
M: Super light watery body with tingly carbonation. Mouthfeel is pretty rough. This did not go down well.
O: As someone who isn’t a fan of tomato juice, I hate this. As someone who can objectively review a beer based on style, I hate this. Buy this only if you’re obsessed with putting ketchup on your cereal.

1.5/5  rDev -15.3%

Drank 6/25/11. 24 oz can split 5 ways w/ bbb099, scottfrie, and others.

A: A slightly rosy, slightly rotten pink grapefruit color that is actually slightly reminiscent of a decent lambic.

S: This smells like the tomato soup I had for dinner two nights ago. To be honest it's not that unpleasant, but it is NOT what I want in a beer.

T: It's not the most disgusting thing, but the mouthfeel is so bad that I can't bring myself to drink any more.

M: Godawful. It's like a slightly carbonated can of V8 that is going bad. It's mildly syrupy with some thing that resembles carbonation. It made me pour the beer out.

O: If I could just look at this beer and smell it, I'd be ok. Having to taste this monstrosity destroyed any appeal it held.

1.03/5  rDev -41.8%

16 oz. can tried 25 Sep 2010. Served in the Sierra Nevada Celebration shaker pint (forgive me). Courtesy of KAV, remind me never to dare you to buy a beer again.

Opened and poured it, and then realized it seemed to have settled in the can. Mixed it a bit with a thumb over the opening to get the full effect. Unfortunately some spilled out on the ground in this process.

Head is kind of pinkish white, rapidly dissipating. Foamy pinkish rose in color, appears to have some small flecks in it but not sure of that. Aroma is all tomato and salt. Salty. Tomato. Clam in the background. Salty. Salty enough to almost induce a gag reflex, like getting smacked in the face with an unexpected ocean wave while you are breathing. Tomato salty clammy. Clammy tomato salty. Salty tomato clammy. How many permutations of those three words are there? Six I think. Imagine all of them written here.

This would make a good epicac. On the plus side, the Bud Light presence is completely swamped by the tomato clammy salty. Actually, more Bud Light presence would be welcomed. This might be better if you poured one can into a thirty pack of Bud Light.

Blargh. Five of us could not finish this can, even when I dared the other guys to man up.

1.4/5  rDev -20.9%

Uhhgg why do I do these things to myself....

A: a mirky reddish concoction that just screams pour me out.

S: Like someone squeezed a tomatoe into a budlight, oh wait....

T: I dont like tomatoe juice, so why in gods green earth am i doing this.

M: couldnt get it gone fast enough.

O: I will officially never buy this again unless it is as a joke for a friend whom I do not like.

1.26/5  rDev -28.8%

from the lost notebook!

whatever made me drink this is beyond me at this point as there is simply nothing at all redeeming about it. in fact this may have been one of the worst drinking expierences of my life. the pour is an ugly murky pink color that really just belongs more in the juice catagory then any alcohol. the smell is putrid with tomotoes, pepper, just wrong, i cannot even begin to really get into it as the aroma alone was making me gag and if that was not enough i decided to try and take a sip, why would i ever do this to myself is beyond me. i barely was able to get one sip down as the flavor was so overwhelmingly bad. tomotoes, pepper, stale fruit, just wow.

i have no idea how they could even market this as a beer. really this should be deleted from the database.

Bud Light & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch