Shock Top Belgian White | Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Witbier

Originally known as Spring Heat Spiced Wheat

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.

Added by zjungleist on 03-11-2006

Reviews: 875 | Ratings: 3,791
2.03/5  rDev -32.8%

I tried this beer last night at my favorite watering hole (Summits in Sandy Springs). It pours into a barrel mug a very cloudy orange with about a 1/2 head that stays and produces good lacing. The color is very unusual that orange hue is unique for sure. The smell is of very tart and potent citrus, so strong that I can't detect anything else. The taste is nearly all citrus as well. The balance is off in this beer. I think they were trying for a Hefe or a Witbier but fell short. The taste (what I can taste beyond the citrus) comes off like wet cardboard. The wheat flavor just doesn't seem right. The mouthfeel isn't bad, it comes off as medium weight and very creamy. Overall this is not a very drinkable beer. I applaud AB for trying to branch out and try new things like Stouts, fruit beers, and the like but so far they just haven't measured up.

2.03/5  rDev -32.8%

This is AB's attempt at a Witbier.

A- Cloudy Gold - Cloudiness varies from top to bottom. Off-white 4-finger head reduces to 1-finger very quickly. The head dissipates after half the beer. Some lacing.

S- Citrusy nose with a coriander back, no smell of malts to be seen. Lacking the aromatic qualities seen in better examples of the style.

T- Tastes like a mediocre wheat beer. Very refreshing with lots of coriander and a hint of orange rind and orange pith bitterness. A hint of hops and adjunct filler sits in the background. The bitterness of this beer builds up overtime to the point where it becomes unpalatable, the bitterness tastes like a composition of limonin + the classic AB chemical aftertaste. They must use a lot of citrus pith in their brewing, because the presence of limonin is definitely noticeable in the final product. The finish is metallic and more bitter with each passing sip. The aftertaste lingers long after I finished the beer and ruined my dinner. Later tastings of this beer did not have the metallic flavor, but the flavor was not there at all.

D- Easy to drink, but the approaching bitterness gets in the way and makes me want to pour the rest down the drain. Later encounters with this beer (on-tap) did not have the bitterness.

M- Some body provided by the suspended yeast, but overall kind of watery for this style. Reminds me of murky soapy water.

Other thoughts- I can only think I bought a bad 6 pack, but I do not want to risk purchasing this stuff again. The bitter compounds in the beer are unlike the bitterness of hops, it is an intense unpalatable metallic bitterness that builds up and lingers over a long period of time.

EDIT: Had this beer on tap recently. Whilst it did not possess the lingering bitterness that I attributed to bad bottles earlier, I was underwhelmed by the [lack of] flavor and feel this beer deserves the D+ rating I gave earlier.

EDIT 2: Had on-tap again, still has the body of soapy water and almost no flavor. I am utterly shocked that this has a C+ average, maybe my expectations in a Wit are too high.

2.05/5  rDev -32.1%

Meh. Looks like AB got a little jealous of the Blue Moon market share, so they developed their own crap. And while I never thought Blue Moon to be all that, it certainly whips this stuff.

Appearance, cloudy, still too yellow instead of the more orangish charm I like to see in a hefe.

Smells too similar to BMC stuff as well. Taste leaves a bad clove, tobacco and non hoppy kind of citrus taste in your mouth, like someone put a cigarrette out on a lemon and then threw it in your beer. Mouthfeel, you just want to get it out, it doesn't develop, it gets worse, and thus, isn't too drinkable.

2.05/5  rDev -32.1%

Pickings were slim at the airport, and the whole point was to get a beer with my shot, so this was it.

A: without knowing what it was, there might have been a bit of promise, but seeing the extra-tall pilsner glass full of watered-down SunnyD-looking swill, topped with superfoamy head, I was looking forward to the Jacquart Brut Mosaïque I knew I would be enjoying on the flight for which I was waiting.

S: not too bad, not too skunky, with enough fruit coming through

T: I knew what it was going for with its orange peel and coriander, though I like neither of those flavors, except in a truly well-balanced tripel

M: very thin body, and like cheap bubbly, the bubbles were too big

D: really would rather not do that again

Notes from 02.09.10 SEA-TAC

2.05/5  rDev -32.1%

I'm getting pretty tired of wasting my money and alcoholic tolerance on beers with Belgian in the name that has absolutely nothing resembling a beer brewed in Belgium.

I found out why when I looked on this page and saw this was an AB beer and I'm sure that has something to do with it, bit more and more I am finding even the smaller breweries putting "Belgium" labels on swill.

The beer is cloudy wheat with a funky off taste. As a matter of fact that is about the most prominent flavor. It seems like just barely enough barley to take it a notch above bud wheat. Would have been a great beer for $1.75 in a plastic cup at a Blackhawks game, but give me my money back for a $7.00 beer when I thought I was buying something decent.

2.07/5  rDev -31.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into half-liter Pilsner Urquell branded pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden-orange color with a small, quickly dissipating white head that leaves a bit of lace behind.

Smell: Smells HEAVILY of citrus. By heavily, I mean that this smells like kitchen cleaner with added wheat.

Taste: Tastes heavily of citrus- lemon, lime, and orange with a hint of wheat at the end.

Mouthfeel: Thin, with a bit too much carbonation. Refreshing.

Drinkability: If I wanted lemonade, then I would have bought that.

2.1/5  rDev -30.5%

So I was in the mid-west on business and the place I had diner had this tap handle I've never seen. I swear I reviewed this beer without knowing that it was an AB product. Had I known, never would have oredered it. But here are my notes:

Spicy wheat aroma with light citurs and a little honey. Oberall not very aromatic, everything is very light.

Yellow, too dark for style, very clear, big thick head.

There's a little wheat flavor in the malt and some honey. Lacking any spice flavor at all and no yeast esters. It's a very clean beer with just a touch of wheat and not Wit identity at all.

Pretty thin even for the style. lively carbonation but that makes it seem even more airy with no substance.

Not sure what the deal is with this beer. There are plenty of adequate Wits on the market and even a few really good ones. I would not have this again. Boring.

2.1/5  rDev -30.5%

I'm not a fan of this beer. Smells like OJ, tastes like watered-down OJ. Unpleasant, lingering aftertaste. It pales in comparison to other similar brews including Blue Moon, which is average at best in my opinion. Surprised to see it was over 5% ABV. Would not buy it again.

2.11/5  rDev -30.1%

Mistakenly bought this brew when it first arrived on the market, not knowing it was an Anheuser-Busch product.

Some people like this stuff, but it's way too bland for me. The flavor itself isn't awful with the ornage added, but it's too dank and sour to be enjoyable.

2.12/5  rDev -29.8%

Christmas party leftovers Part Two continues! The so called "faux craft" drink? How does it hold up? Pouring this into a Hoegaarden glass!

A very creamy/foamy topped head that falls fairly quickly. Body color is an off orange/yellow with lots of cola sticking bubbles. Seems to leave a small puck, but not any lacing.

Nose seems highly artificial. Powdered orange breakfast drink. Nothing else here, no sense of malt either.

Taste? what is this? Sweetened artificial orange juice? This doesn't even taste like beer. Extremely wet bodied, where is the malt density in this? No classic hints of lemon or zest. Sugar artificial Splenda tasting. No wheat chew whatsoever.

Overall... ugh. Barely even tastes like beer let alone a Witbier. Never would have bought this to begin with, so thank god I didn't.

2.13/5  rDev -29.5%

meh. This is just large corporate beer's weak response to the Belgian Beer trend in the U.S.

It is not a bad beer overall, but offers no complexity and a somewhat artificial orange flavor. To me there is something almost hollow in the way it tastes..like a fountain drink. Frothy, but not in a good way.

This is satisfactory for the novice palate, but you wouldn't waste your time on it if you know any better. That being said, if there wasn't anything else to drink I'd have one of these and wouldn't feel like I was suffering. It's drinkable, but mediocre.

2.14/5  rDev -29.1%

I really wanted to like this one...perhaps it's because I had the brilliant idea of purchasing 3 cans of it having not previously heard a single thing about it.

Similar to many other typical white ales, the nose reveals many citrus notes, however there is an abundance of lemon and lime peel to be found upon first sniff. Slightly off-putting, to say the least, seeing as how that's about the only thing you can smell. No hops to speak of.

When poured into a snifter, the beer reveals itself as being a nice hazy, golden-yellow colour. The carbonation is aggressive, and as such the one finger of fizzy white head dissipates within a few seconds, even after an aggressive pour.

At this point, the taste was not surprising. Despite a slightly higher abv than what I am used to in white beer, the alcohols presence is not felt. After an initial blast of orange and lemon, all that is detectable on the palate is a mild yeast flavour and excessive carbonation.

Qute easily the least impressive white ale I've yet to try. Anheuser-Busch strikes again...

2.15/5  rDev -28.8%

Overrated but of course Im also not a big wit beer fan.

appearance: cloudy golden, with orangish tint, liek a witbier should be. Very cloudy

smell: tad of citrus smell

taste: not spicy, overwheling orange flavor

mouthfeel: super thick

drinkability: overall not good for peopel who like beer, but a great crossover beer from macros. Especially if they like Blue Moon.

2.16/5  rDev -28.5%

Hazy yellow color with a fluffy head that for some reason doesn't impress me too much. The smell is of citrus fruits. The taste is is similar...it's nice but it lacks a lot of character...not bad but not great. This seems just like a standard, run-of-the-mill Witbier.

Light bodied.

I actually didn't know it as AB unitll now...just FYI for myself.

2.16/5  rDev -28.5%

Pours a nice cloudy, golden color with a nice head. Smell is a hint of spice and some slight fruitiness. Tasted like regular Bud except unflitered with some spices tossed in and some wheat substituted. Thught it could be drier, but could not get over the Bud taste. Was hoping a better attempt would be made.

2.16/5  rDev -28.5%

First of all, I do not dig on wheat beers in general. This beer poured light orange and hazy with no head. The taste is weak with not a whole lot going on. It definitely features the wheat but with limited success.

As my friend says, "It tastes like a weak Blue Moon."

Bingo.

2.16/5  rDev -28.5%

served a pitcher of this at saucy mommas in big bear. great food place, not so much with this beer tho.

A- cloudy orange and not complex color, nothing too interesting, decent head.

S- citrus and wheat. nothing fancy here..

T- Bland Hef with not anything making it worthwhile here either.

M- light and bubbly... maybe fit for someone who's never had a wheat beer.

O- not impressed.

2.2/5  rDev -27.2%

On draught at National Airport in DC.
A: cloudy orange with a solid white head that doesn't budge and inch over 10 minutes.
S: aroma of citrus and skunks.
T: very sour, unpleasantly so, with an extreme acidic finish.
M: light bodied for the style.
D: best skipped. Nothing remarkable about this one.

2.2/5  rDev -27.2%

Shock Top Belgian White pours to a yellowish/gold color with a good deal of bubbling action, very little foam, a cloudy body, and no lacing at all. There is very little aroma, with only a slight indication of citrus and spice.

This beer offers flavors of wheat, citrus, yeast, coriander, and other spices. The citrus tastes include orange, lemon, and lime. There is even a hint of banana in the taste, ending with a slight taste of coriander.

Shock Top Belgian White is an obvious attempt by Anheuser- Busch to compete with Blue Moon Belgian White. But it doesn't quite measure up and the reason is that Shock Top Belgian White is too tame, too timid to compete with the big orange and coriander flavors offered by Blue Moon Belgian White. It also has a certain artificial character to its taste, similar to the artificial flavoring found in certain fruity soft drinks. Anheuser- Busch makes this beer using real lime, orange, and lemon peel, but the fruit flavor still seems off base.

If you want a great tasting Belgian White brew, Shock Top Belgian White isn't the answer. It isn't terrible, but it fails to impress and its flavor will frustrate most who sample it. There are tastier witbiers that cost less and taste better.

2.2/5  rDev -27.2%

Aggressive pour into a thick tumblr from a 12 oz bottle.

Appearance is light orange/dark yellow. Thin white head with fine bubbles. Little retention and little to no lacing.

Smell/Aroma/Nose is restrainted with slight aroma of citrus zest, and not much else.

Taste is also citrusy. Label description of "wheat ale brewed with orange, lemon & lime peels" may have clouded my perception, as I am searching for the lemon-lime, and more complexity. But, this is a simple beer.

Mouthfeel is easy, smooth and non-offensive . Slightly metallic aftertaste.

Drinkability: Brewed by Michelob/AB as a mass-market adjuct beer, I found this to be non-offensive, yet unimpressive.

2.2/5  rDev -27.2%

I had this on tap after noticing an unfamiliar beer I had not tried before in the line-up. The bartender even warned me and asked if I was sure I wanted a pint of this stuff.One of the worst beers on drought I think I have had and thought it was a shame it was taking up space on the lines.Just stick to bluemoon and stay clear of this beer that has already added the orange flavor in it.

2.21/5  rDev -26.8%

My aunt brought a six pack of this stuff over, saying it looked decent and wanted to give it a try. She likes to pay for the "expensive" kind of beers (note that family get-togethers consist of mostly bud and coors, ha), was the price worth it? We opened some up, and the smell didn't intrigue me all that much. I took a sip, and the taste goes with the smell: not all that great.

Now, I love my hops so maybe this just wasn't the beer for me. A tad citrus, leaving an interesting after taste. I wasn't sold on it. Now it wasn't "terrible" or anything along those lines, but I was debating whether to finish it or not; deciding to in order not to break my own rule: you need to finish the beer you start.

Look was a murky gold color, wasn't bad looking, but not great either. Let's just say unless it calls for desperate times, I'm probably not reaching for that cool smiling orange slice again.

2.25/5  rDev -25.5%

Okay...took a few sips from a friend's bottle, here are my thoughts.....

Haven't had this in a few years, and it's exactly as I remember. Almost no nose, what is there is one of weak citrus fruit. Taste is the same, a weak white ale that finishes with a citrus, almost sour end. Not a great example of the style, even for a BMC offering.

There are MUCH better options out there.

2.25/5  rDev -25.5%

Bottle emptied into a shaker glass. Standard hazed straw witbier appearance with a small fizzle of soda-ish head.

Faint, must wheat with whiff of citrussy coriander seed. Little depth and quite watered down on the back end.

Obviously, another weak BMC attempt at brewing craft. Standard witbier flavors, but it's as if they mixed full strength beer with a portion of sparkling water.

2.25/5  rDev -25.5%

This seems to be one of the beers that attempts to bring different styles to those who are normally satisfied with the light beers, or beers that are common to places with three taps. I suppose being backed by such a large company helps that. However, its target audience is probably the only one that will be (slightly) impressed by it if only for its new drinkers to throw out terms like 'witbier' to their swill-drinking friends. With that being said, this beer is about as interesting as store brand orange juice from concentrate. And that isn't an indicator of its taste.

I don't believe that I am one to be able to properly indicate what flavors I taste in many things (although I continue to learn and try), and so I will just say that for no matter what the money you may be asked to pay for this beer, it is not worth it. Unless it came in a 30-pack of cans for ten dollars.

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch