Shock Top Belgian White | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Witbier

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.

Added by Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

Reviews: 800 | Ratings: 3,675
2.05/5  rDev -31.9%

I'm getting pretty tired of wasting my money and alcoholic tolerance on beers with Belgian in the name that has absolutely nothing resembling a beer brewed in Belgium.

I found out why when I looked on this page and saw this was an AB beer and I'm sure that has something to do with it, bit more and more I am finding even the smaller breweries putting "Belgium" labels on swill.

The beer is cloudy wheat with a funky off taste. As a matter of fact that is about the most prominent flavor. It seems like just barely enough barley to take it a notch above bud wheat. Would have been a great beer for $1.75 in a plastic cup at a Blackhawks game, but give me my money back for a $7.00 beer when I thought I was buying something decent.

2.07/5  rDev -31.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into half-liter Pilsner Urquell branded pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden-orange color with a small, quickly dissipating white head that leaves a bit of lace behind.

Smell: Smells HEAVILY of citrus. By heavily, I mean that this smells like kitchen cleaner with added wheat.

Taste: Tastes heavily of citrus- lemon, lime, and orange with a hint of wheat at the end.

Mouthfeel: Thin, with a bit too much carbonation. Refreshing.

Drinkability: If I wanted lemonade, then I would have bought that.

2.1/5  rDev -30.2%

So I was in the mid-west on business and the place I had diner had this tap handle I've never seen. I swear I reviewed this beer without knowing that it was an AB product. Had I known, never would have oredered it. But here are my notes:

Spicy wheat aroma with light citurs and a little honey. Oberall not very aromatic, everything is very light.

Yellow, too dark for style, very clear, big thick head.

There's a little wheat flavor in the malt and some honey. Lacking any spice flavor at all and no yeast esters. It's a very clean beer with just a touch of wheat and not Wit identity at all.

Pretty thin even for the style. lively carbonation but that makes it seem even more airy with no substance.

Not sure what the deal is with this beer. There are plenty of adequate Wits on the market and even a few really good ones. I would not have this again. Boring.

2.1/5  rDev -30.2%

I'm not a fan of this beer. Smells like OJ, tastes like watered-down OJ. Unpleasant, lingering aftertaste. It pales in comparison to other similar brews including Blue Moon, which is average at best in my opinion. Surprised to see it was over 5% ABV. Would not buy it again.

2.11/5  rDev -29.9%

Mistakenly bought this brew when it first arrived on the market, not knowing it was an Anheuser-Busch product.

Some people like this stuff, but it's way too bland for me. The flavor itself isn't awful with the ornage added, but it's too dank and sour to be enjoyable.

2.12/5  rDev -29.6%

Christmas party leftovers Part Two continues! The so called "faux craft" drink? How does it hold up? Pouring this into a Hoegaarden glass!

A very creamy/foamy topped head that falls fairly quickly. Body color is an off orange/yellow with lots of cola sticking bubbles. Seems to leave a small puck, but not any lacing.

Nose seems highly artificial. Powdered orange breakfast drink. Nothing else here, no sense of malt either.

Taste? what is this? Sweetened artificial orange juice? This doesn't even taste like beer. Extremely wet bodied, where is the malt density in this? No classic hints of lemon or zest. Sugar artificial Splenda tasting. No wheat chew whatsoever.

Overall... ugh. Barely even tastes like beer let alone a Witbier. Never would have bought this to begin with, so thank god I didn't.

2.13/5  rDev -29.2%

meh. This is just large corporate beer's weak response to the Belgian Beer trend in the U.S.

It is not a bad beer overall, but offers no complexity and a somewhat artificial orange flavor. To me there is something almost hollow in the way it tastes..like a fountain drink. Frothy, but not in a good way.

This is satisfactory for the novice palate, but you wouldn't waste your time on it if you know any better. That being said, if there wasn't anything else to drink I'd have one of these and wouldn't feel like I was suffering. It's drinkable, but mediocre.

2.14/5  rDev -28.9%

I really wanted to like this one...perhaps it's because I had the brilliant idea of purchasing 3 cans of it having not previously heard a single thing about it.

Similar to many other typical white ales, the nose reveals many citrus notes, however there is an abundance of lemon and lime peel to be found upon first sniff. Slightly off-putting, to say the least, seeing as how that's about the only thing you can smell. No hops to speak of.

When poured into a snifter, the beer reveals itself as being a nice hazy, golden-yellow colour. The carbonation is aggressive, and as such the one finger of fizzy white head dissipates within a few seconds, even after an aggressive pour.

At this point, the taste was not surprising. Despite a slightly higher abv than what I am used to in white beer, the alcohols presence is not felt. After an initial blast of orange and lemon, all that is detectable on the palate is a mild yeast flavour and excessive carbonation.

Qute easily the least impressive white ale I've yet to try. Anheuser-Busch strikes again...

2.15/5  rDev -28.6%

Overrated but of course Im also not a big wit beer fan.

appearance: cloudy golden, with orangish tint, liek a witbier should be. Very cloudy

smell: tad of citrus smell

taste: not spicy, overwheling orange flavor

mouthfeel: super thick

drinkability: overall not good for peopel who like beer, but a great crossover beer from macros. Especially if they like Blue Moon.

2.16/5  rDev -28.2%

Hazy yellow color with a fluffy head that for some reason doesn't impress me too much. The smell is of citrus fruits. The taste is is similar...it's nice but it lacks a lot of character...not bad but not great. This seems just like a standard, run-of-the-mill Witbier.

Light bodied.

I actually didn't know it as AB unitll now...just FYI for myself.

2.16/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours a nice cloudy, golden color with a nice head. Smell is a hint of spice and some slight fruitiness. Tasted like regular Bud except unflitered with some spices tossed in and some wheat substituted. Thught it could be drier, but could not get over the Bud taste. Was hoping a better attempt would be made.

2.16/5  rDev -28.2%

served a pitcher of this at saucy mommas in big bear. great food place, not so much with this beer tho.

A- cloudy orange and not complex color, nothing too interesting, decent head.

S- citrus and wheat. nothing fancy here..

T- Bland Hef with not anything making it worthwhile here either.

M- light and bubbly... maybe fit for someone who's never had a wheat beer.

O- not impressed.

2.2/5  rDev -26.9%

On draught at National Airport in DC.
A: cloudy orange with a solid white head that doesn't budge and inch over 10 minutes.
S: aroma of citrus and skunks.
T: very sour, unpleasantly so, with an extreme acidic finish.
M: light bodied for the style.
D: best skipped. Nothing remarkable about this one.

2.2/5  rDev -26.9%

Shock Top Belgian White pours to a yellowish/gold color with a good deal of bubbling action, very little foam, a cloudy body, and no lacing at all. There is very little aroma, with only a slight indication of citrus and spice.

This beer offers flavors of wheat, citrus, yeast, coriander, and other spices. The citrus tastes include orange, lemon, and lime. There is even a hint of banana in the taste, ending with a slight taste of coriander.

Shock Top Belgian White is an obvious attempt by Anheuser- Busch to compete with Blue Moon Belgian White. But it doesn't quite measure up and the reason is that Shock Top Belgian White is too tame, too timid to compete with the big orange and coriander flavors offered by Blue Moon Belgian White. It also has a certain artificial character to its taste, similar to the artificial flavoring found in certain fruity soft drinks. Anheuser- Busch makes this beer using real lime, orange, and lemon peel, but the fruit flavor still seems off base.

If you want a great tasting Belgian White brew, Shock Top Belgian White isn't the answer. It isn't terrible, but it fails to impress and its flavor will frustrate most who sample it. There are tastier witbiers that cost less and taste better.

2.2/5  rDev -26.9%

Aggressive pour into a thick tumblr from a 12 oz bottle.

Appearance is light orange/dark yellow. Thin white head with fine bubbles. Little retention and little to no lacing.

Smell/Aroma/Nose is restrainted with slight aroma of citrus zest, and not much else.

Taste is also citrusy. Label description of "wheat ale brewed with orange, lemon & lime peels" may have clouded my perception, as I am searching for the lemon-lime, and more complexity. But, this is a simple beer.

Mouthfeel is easy, smooth and non-offensive . Slightly metallic aftertaste.

Drinkability: Brewed by Michelob/AB as a mass-market adjuct beer, I found this to be non-offensive, yet unimpressive.

2.2/5  rDev -26.9%

I had this on tap after noticing an unfamiliar beer I had not tried before in the line-up. The bartender even warned me and asked if I was sure I wanted a pint of this stuff.One of the worst beers on drought I think I have had and thought it was a shame it was taking up space on the lines.Just stick to bluemoon and stay clear of this beer that has already added the orange flavor in it.

2.21/5  rDev -26.6%

My aunt brought a six pack of this stuff over, saying it looked decent and wanted to give it a try. She likes to pay for the "expensive" kind of beers (note that family get-togethers consist of mostly bud and coors, ha), was the price worth it? We opened some up, and the smell didn't intrigue me all that much. I took a sip, and the taste goes with the smell: not all that great.

Now, I love my hops so maybe this just wasn't the beer for me. A tad citrus, leaving an interesting after taste. I wasn't sold on it. Now it wasn't "terrible" or anything along those lines, but I was debating whether to finish it or not; deciding to in order not to break my own rule: you need to finish the beer you start.

Look was a murky gold color, wasn't bad looking, but not great either. Let's just say unless it calls for desperate times, I'm probably not reaching for that cool smiling orange slice again.

2.25/5  rDev -25.2%

Okay...took a few sips from a friend's bottle, here are my thoughts.....

Haven't had this in a few years, and it's exactly as I remember. Almost no nose, what is there is one of weak citrus fruit. Taste is the same, a weak white ale that finishes with a citrus, almost sour end. Not a great example of the style, even for a BMC offering.

There are MUCH better options out there.

2.25/5  rDev -25.2%

Bottle emptied into a shaker glass. Standard hazed straw witbier appearance with a small fizzle of soda-ish head.

Faint, must wheat with whiff of citrussy coriander seed. Little depth and quite watered down on the back end.

Obviously, another weak BMC attempt at brewing craft. Standard witbier flavors, but it's as if they mixed full strength beer with a portion of sparkling water.

2.25/5  rDev -25.2%

This seems to be one of the beers that attempts to bring different styles to those who are normally satisfied with the light beers, or beers that are common to places with three taps. I suppose being backed by such a large company helps that. However, its target audience is probably the only one that will be (slightly) impressed by it if only for its new drinkers to throw out terms like 'witbier' to their swill-drinking friends. With that being said, this beer is about as interesting as store brand orange juice from concentrate. And that isn't an indicator of its taste.

I don't believe that I am one to be able to properly indicate what flavors I taste in many things (although I continue to learn and try), and so I will just say that for no matter what the money you may be asked to pay for this beer, it is not worth it. Unless it came in a 30-pack of cans for ten dollars.

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a hazy yellow orange with a small white head, fair retention, no lace.

S: Orange zest, notes of wheat, solid.

T: It has the classic orange flavour, some lemon, no real spice character. Just bland overall, light.

M: Very thin especially in the end, light-bodied for sure, some crisp carbonation at points, but real disappointing here.

O: Not expecting much with AB and I was correct. Even comparing it to Blue Moon it's not that impressive.

look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

12 oz. Bottle from a 12-pack that I got for free.

A- Pours a hazy golden color with a one inch off white head. No lacing.

S- Mostly I get a candy-sweet orange in the nose with some grain. Smells like an orange Starburst.

T- Sweet orange up front, then I get some spice that must be the coriander. The orange flavor tastes very artificial. I guess the wheat is there, but not the way you'd want it to be. It finishes with some off tasting grain, corn, and fusel alcohol flavors that help you remember that you are drinking an AB product. Whereas, a better witbier would help you forget that you are imbibing alcohol.

M- The mouth feel is reminiscent of a witbier, but it is too thin and not smooth enough to be a good example of the style. Also, the carbonation isn't there.

O- This is worse than I remember it being, and I remember really not liking it. It essentially tastes like an orange extract, mimed coriander, and almost wheat flavored Budweiser, which is very marketable but not very good.

2.26/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A.-this beer poured a one inch off white head in a thick glass mug.It had A decent retention but poor lacing. the color was a milky gold and very cloudy with some settlement (maybe zest)

S.-not the strongest aroma..hint of citus, but leaves the nose quickly.

T.-the initial taste is less than strong,( maybe a little H2O heavy for my personal taste) follwed by a citrus aftertaste..

M.- did not really come alive for me as far as mouth feel but still went down smooth.

D.-fairly easy to drink, was a little heavy in the middle for my personal choice.

2.26/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured into a pint glass. A hazy golden color with a half finger of head that was completely gone within 45 seconds.

Smells of honey and metal, but only faintly overall.

Tastes like water, mildly orange and bitter.

Light body, higher carbonation.

It's not offensive because it doesn't taste or smell like anything. I'm curious which spices it was brewed with because none of them come through.

2.26/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured into a goblet. Straw hazy yellow color with about three fingers of puffy white head that hangs around a little while.

Smell is spicy coriander and orange/lemon zest.

Taste like it smells. Spicy orange and yeast. It's not bad when in the mouth. The after taste is a bit grainy.

Mouthfeel is light and very carbonated.

The beer starts out ok but then it takes a turn and it's something i would drink. It's a better offering from AB then i thought it would be.

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch