Shock Top Belgian White | Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Belgian Witbier

Originally known as Spring Heat Spiced Wheat

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 922 | Ratings: 4,040
3.02/5  rDev +2%

Light golden color, hazy. Light bready malt with coriander and a bit of citrus. There's a bit of a sort of funk too. Medium high carbonation with orange in the finish.

3.03/5  rDev +2.4%

This is a super easy drinking beer. Absolutely zero bitterness or really any strong beer flavors. Somewhat refreshing but has very little substance. Not terrible if its cheap but I'm pretty sure it isn't, so would not recommend.

2.8/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Sometimes I get a pack of this beer when its on sale. It won't win any awards, but it's a fine drink. Especially for a macrobrewery, they got the Belgian style wheat beer pretty on point. Good balance of orange peel, breadiness, a bit of biscuit flavor, slight hint of coriander, not watered down, just a bit more carbonated than I'd prefer. While there are so much better wheat ales, this is still fine especially when it's cheap. It's consistent and always satisfies me sufficiently. Also good for parties or group get togethers. I actually prefer this to Blue Moon, I think it has just a slightly better flavor. I guess you could say this beer is my guilty pleasure.

3.72/5  rDev +25.7%

Pours a hazy golden yellow with two fingers of pure white foam that recedes back to an eighth inch and hangs in for the duration. The carbonation is nice to watch, non stop.
The smell is silent, just a little malt.
The taste is much better, bready with the orange peel flavors. Nothing bitter here!
The feel is smooth and creamy.
I like this beer, the taste and feel are very good. This is a very good session beer.

4.11/5  rDev +38.9%

I like this beer. Its nearly as good as Blue Moon. I have had the unfortunate circumstance that this beer has been skunked at a few different places. So maybe its not selling as well and sitting around too long. Not sure. Its is wonderful with an orange slice just like Blue Moon.

3.29/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Did not expect much, but was pleasantly surprised. Better than I expected. Would make a good daily driver. I will most likely give this a shot every so often, I do like it

2.85/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I agree it's not bad & I do prefer it to Blue Moon. Some sharp citrus notes but nothing too unpleasant, it's worth a try if you have not had one already. Cheers! C

3.13/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

If youve ever thought,
"Hmm, i like that there Blue Moon but it needs just a titch more malt and coriander," then this is for you..
Now, i'm not sure *why* you'd think that, but Shock Top's there if you want it. I'll stick with Blue Moon if it's this kind of beer im looking for.

2.02/5  rDev -31.8%

Been on a whitbeer kick lately and Shock Top was the most lackluster I’ve had so far. Wasn’t surprised to learn after the fact that it is owned by Anheuser-Busch because it taste like a Bud Light version of a whitbeer.

2.96/5  rDev 0%

This beer is what I drink if there aren't any better choices. The slice of orange that most bars put on the glass has more taste than the beer. The beer is bland. Think of it as choosing Pizza Hut when in Italy instead of a local restaurant. You know what you're going to get. It won't be great but it won't be horrible. The next day you won't remember what you drank because it isn't memorable.

This one is just a kicked up citrus version of Oberon and Blue Moon. Maybe I am a sucker for sweetness and I am also loving the fact that his is a bit different with more of the orange shining through. It does have some very strong wit features shining through, but the citrus tones just provide enough bite. Oberon is still king though!

Easily worst beer I have ever had. If given the choice between this and bud light I would take the bud light any day. Rancid cilantro taste that reminds me of the smell of the juice that collects at the bottom of a restaurant dumpster or the essence of crushed stinkbug. It is not as if I am not a fan of cilantro like many are not, in fact, I love cilantro so much I will eat the leaves straight. I have a stronger than average stomach and half of one of these left me wanting to puke for an hour. Grossest tasting anything I have ever tasted, including all food I have ever had. Will likely never buy or even drink again. Spent 9 bucks on this hoping for something citrusy and refreshing like a Corona with lime, but instead, in the legendary words of Reviewbrah: "My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined."

3.83/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I've had this beer draft with an orange slice and in the bottle and I think it's fairly good. I would choose Shock Top over Blue Moon. It has a really nice true orange look to it and it is very drinkable. This beer is somewhat special to me as it was the first draft beer I ever had after turning 21.

2.93/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Foggy burnt orange with a large off-white froth that settles in lumps to a steady collar and thin film.

Smell actually has a bit of metallic and astringent hop character to it, with a touch of orange peel and spiced, cracked wheat in there. It's not very aromatic though.

Taste starts with both the peel and flesh of orange, paired with wheat bread and a very faint Belgian wit yeast character. However, it's pretty much all orange-spiked wheat beer more than anything else.

Body is frothy but light with a crisp, tingly semi-dry finish.

3.01/5  rDev +1.7%

Slightly hazy, light amber, not much in the way of head; Aroma is slightly citrusy; Feels smooth, slightly tangy, light carbonation. Flavor is very mild, slightly citrusy.

2.58/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Poured out of a 24 oz Can
Looks tremendous, hazy golden color, i've never disliked a hazy beer. Head dissipates before you even go to drink it, wow.
Smell is great, mix of fresh and bitter oranges, with wheat and lemon as well. Certainly can pick up the Belgium yeast as well. I like the overall presentation. Moderate carbonation.
Taste isn't as pleasant unfortunately. First thing i'm getting is play-doh flavor. I thought this would be similar to Blue Moon, but wow it is substantially worse. It tastes like fake orange flavoring and very strong coriander.
Buzz your girlfriend, Woof!
Well, never had one of these before, thought I would give it a try, and learned that it is really not a good beer, i don't think they really put enough time into this recipe. Gotta call it like you see it, grade is a C-

2.23/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Budweiser by any other name is still a Budweiser. Bland! The look of this beer is the only saving grace, it resembles a Belgian witbier, but once you taste it, you’ll notice it’s not. Not impressed...

3.73/5  rDev +26%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Oakland Intl Airport. Pale straw colour, white head. Typical witbier aroma and flavour of coriander and citrus / orange peel. Very refreshing, would be happy to drink this again. I suspect that it is underrated due to the ownership of the brewery - I was not aware that this was an AB InBev product, so I rated the beer for what it is.

2.96/5  rDev 0%

Was expecting more from this beer being that I really like Belgian Whites. It just went down more like an adjunct lager than I’d expect, and the aftertaste was borderline offensive. Kind of tasted as if I poured half a glass of Blue Moon into half a glass of Bud Light. Eh.

3.32/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Slightly hazy yellow-orange, typical of a wit beer. Orange and coriander on the nose (imagine that!). Primaryily a biscuity malt flavor in addition to what you get on the nose. Typical AB watery mouthfeel.

3.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a glass.

Look - Slightly clouded golden orange. A very still beer with no bubbles or head.

Smell - Wheat, a bit of citrus rind, a hard to distinguish herbal/floral/grassy scent. In general, a sense of earthiness.

Taste - My first impression is a strange essence of white cake, like vanilla and buttercream icing. The taste isn't really anything like the smell. A generic sweetness with the slightest tang.

Feel - Very flat feeling, could do with a bit more carbonation.

Overall - An acceptable beer, but not one I'll see myself coming back to.

3.67/5  rDev +24%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Usually served with a slice of orange, which helps a lot with the taste and smell. Tastes lighter, milder than its 5.2% alcohol suggests, more like a Pilsner. I've had better whites from Belgium, but this is not a bad brew considering the source. I haven't tried it at home, but am pretty sure it needs a slice of orange or at least a twist of lemon or lime.

3.23/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Look: Average orange color, with no head in the glass.

Smell: Distant citrus and malt, with a faint yeast note.

Taste: Bready malt is the dominant flavor, with some orange flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, but a decent amount of carbonation bite.

Overall: Not bad. Different than adjunct lagers and refreshing on a hot day.

Bottled 12/28/17, consumed 4/14/18

L: Somewhat hazy, orange & light-brown, no head, no lacing. Not appealing in any way.

S: Orange peel. If there's anything else, it's too faint and mild to struggle looking for.

T: Orange peel dominates here too. Pick up just the faintest trace of some spices maybe.

F: Medium, good carbonation, smooth.

O: Drank this in a flight sampling with Blue Moon, 1664 Blanc, and Allagash White. Obviously Allagash was the best by a long shot and 1664 Blanc was pretty nice in it's own way too. Shock Top was probably the weakest one, but I'd still get it over most other macros.

2.67/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Not what I expected of a Belgian white. Everything about it from the color (meek orange in color) to taste (flat) was just okay. I didn't detect the orange/coriander to the extent I expected - Hoegaarden for example is a good reference point and felt it came up short. I've had better Belgian whites. But my brother in law loves it so....potato, tomato or something.

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch