Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Shock Top Belgian White | Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Witbier

Originally known as Spring Heat Spiced Wheat

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.

Added by zjungleist on 03-11-2006

2.25/5  rDev -24%

3.75/5  rDev +26.7%

2.25/5  rDev -24%

1.69/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Not a fan of this beer. Had it more than a few times. Some times it was more enjoyable than others. This time not so much.

Bottle has no date which always bothers me. Pour gives a cloudy orange/ brown color. One finger head which leaves very quickly. Almost as if it was never there. First thing I smell is coriander. Very, very strong. Orange follows behind as expected but is more mellow than I think it should be (especially considering the label). Tons of carbonation on the tongue. A bit too much for me. Getting a strange watery, bitter orange juice flavor with the overpowering flavor of coriander. Doesn't work well on my palate. By far the worst part of this experience is the lingering after taste. Very hard to describe. Makes my mouth pucker but not in a dry wine kind of way.

This is my second time drinking this beer this week and both times I seem to get this wierd stomach ache. Expired? No way to tell since there is no date... On other occasions I've had this it has been more palatable. If I reviewed this when I had it last year it would be a solid 3. This time I didn't enjoy it at all.

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch