Love Belgian Beer?

Shock Top Belgian WhiteShock Top Belgian White

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Witbier

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.

Added by Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

Reviews: 795 | Ratings: 3,647
2.83/5  rDev -6%

L: pale, golden, small 1/4 inch head
S: not much there, slightly hoppy
T: mildly hoppy on the start and finish, light notes of spice and citrus
F: smooth with a little carbonation
O: very drinkable but just not as flavorful as I would like

2.64/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I saw this advertised. (Ads create demand. right?) But I never looked closely at the ad closely. With zero investigation, something seemed to me not quite right.
The beer was given to me by someone who was leaving town (a second clue.)
Ignoring evidence and intuition, I pop open Shock Top.
No big deal... to be charitable. To be accurate, very bland beer.
I read the label for the first time. Certainly way below the label's promise. Who makes this stuff?
I go to BA.
The product is owned by A-B.
Oh, it all makes sense to me now.
Do I review the beer? This quandary still gnaws at my conscience.
I decide; I rate this beer. But I decide not to say anything because the rules are "Respect Beer."
So this review is the story of mass marketing, but not teaching the masses about quality... which is what advertising should do... And what Beer Advocate does.

3.36/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a light golden color with a nice thick head that slowly fizzles out along with fast rising bubbles. Very attractive appearance. Nose is malty with strong citrus. Taste is slightly hoppier than most Belgian whites. Other than that, not too remarkable. I didn't like the feel, it felt over carbonated and stings the tongue slightly. Other than that the finish is pretty good. Overall a decent brew.

2.74/5  rDev -9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2/10/16 Washington DC ($5 12 oz draft pour into beer mug at Harry's Pub w/ Orange slice). Cloudy blonde pour, medium white head, minimal lacing. Orange aroma and flavor, some carbonation, light and easy going down. OK offering though somewhat bland.

1.83/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

tastes like cheap beer. 5.2% alcohol, but the alcohol is at the front. watered down mushy feel on the tongue. plus I hate coriander. This is not distinct enough to notice the coriander much. I don't like Budwieser, but I would rather drink a Bud light then this mediocre beer.

I have nothing against mass produced beers. Anheuser-Busch is going to have to considered making better beer for the masses to continue drinking their products. For a few dollars more anyone can buy a six pack of great tasting micro brew. I can't imagine once people taste great beer they will want to go back. No matter how much $ is spent on marketing. Give me a Stone, or Deschutes, Odell IPA anyday over this shitty beer.

2.31/5  rDev -23.3%

2 years ago I would have said "a new favorite", but in the past year I have developed more of a taste for better beer. I picked up a six pack cos non-better-beer-appreciating-family was in town and I didn't want to offer something they wouldn't appreciate. I cracked on for myself to see what I thought about it now. I found it looked ok, not great,very faint smell I'd expect from a wheat beer, tasted very bland compared to better beers, felt thin and overall was drinkable but not particularly enjoyable. I don't feel I'm disrespecting anyone here cos I doubt the Brewer is going to see what people think. But this was a beer that started my exploration from miller light to other, better beers. Some props for that!

2.98/5  rDev -1%

Hazy, cloudy, almost milky in color with a thin white head. The aroma is fruity...orange and lemon, with some light malt underneath. I expected more yeast aroma, spice, or bread. Light in flavor as well. A bit of sweetness, some malt, and fruit. Light to medium in body. Not really offensive, but not great either.

3.73/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Looks hazy golden yellow with a creamy white head that floats quickly away.

Not much on the smell, mostly bready smelling with just a hint of citrus way in the back.

Tastes of some citrus, again slightly muted, and some hint of spices.

Mouth feel leans toward a medium creamy feel with a nice clean finish.

Shock Top is a pleasantly refreshing beer that I could see myself purchasing for that summer BBQ.

pours a hazy, peachy straw with a small head. nose; light gum & extremely light citrus zest. taste; mild wheat malt, mild orange zest/pith, and trace coriander. no real hops, fruit or spice that stick around. medium+ carbonation & light mouthfeel. after half a glass, you simply cannot shake the sensation of drinking empty-calorie starch water. as with blue moon, there's a good reason they put a piece of actual orange in the bottle. i did enjoy this more than the blue moon though, as it seemed to keep some semblance of the pulp notes for the entire glass.

1.79/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Cloudy dark straw color with storming activity. Slightly foamy white 1 finger head, lasting around 5-10 minutes, with average legs. Flavors of sweet grains, citrus, lime, noble hops, faint floral feel and corn. A little sweet yet astringent bitter. Thick full body with extra prickly carbonation. Medium strength finish from a highly bitter grassy spicy feel that is unusual for a witbier. Weird chalky citrus mouthfeel. Low freshness and highly acidic. Overall poor quality stuff. The lemon flavor is not pleasant and too harsh. Overly dry and too bold. Feels adjunct. It's almost disgusting and undrinkable.

3.24/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours pale, golden, hazy with a very mild white foam head. Aroma is citric and yeasty. Taste is kind of odd for the style, refreshing but a bit smokey, not a very nice example but drinkable.

2.36/5  rDev -21.6%

Has a medium white head. Nice pale amber color. Smells a little fruity. Very watered down, faint traces of wheat and some kind of citrus is present. Easy to drink.

3.14/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Citrus smell; stronger smell than taste. Somewhat bland taste, you can feel the orange lightly. The white head didn't last long. It's an acceptable beer, I'd drink it again with no problem but I don't look forward to the day I have to.

3.09/5  rDev +2.7%

Hazy wheat color leaning a little Orange. White head didn't last. Smell was light citrus/Orange. Taste was just a hint of Orange, but that hint took it from something I expected to be bud Light, over to something that wasn't bad at all. Not as much of a fruit or "flavored" beer as others from shock top. Nice offering from a macro. I'll take it.

2.64/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Ok. Last beer of the evening at a place with limited choices (but there was hockey on so it was ok). Not much taste here. Made me wish that Blue Moon was on tap!

3.67/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not too bad. Much more restrained in its orange flavor than the other big Belgian White, Blue Moon. Not a huge amount of flavor, but crisp and pleasant.

3.16/5  rDev +5%

I had this beer on tap at Shopsy's, a sports bar on the campus of York University in Toronto, ON (Canada) and drank it from a flute.

Look: Although the beer is brewed by a giant corporation, meaning Anheuser-Busch, the beer has a juicy and cloudy look. You can't see through it. Its body has a light shade of orange that is close to gold, which makes it look like milk mixed with orange juice. The white head is one-finger high and recedes to a ring. Moreover, there is a light carbonation. Based on the look, the beer closely adheres to the style guidelines of the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP).

Smell: The nose of this Witbier is weak compared to that of its better counterparts. Of course, we can smell some citric acid as well as the moderate sweetness of orange. The orange zests were hardly discernible.

Taste: The palate tastes like a bitter juice of orange zests toned down by notes of either honey or banana. Then the beer becomes sour, which is not a bad thing. However, the finale was disappointing. The notes of herbal spices, in this case coriander, leaves us under the impression that the brewers only added a few dashes in the mix. This means that there is a residual sweetness during the last phase of the tasting. Moreover, what the beer lacks in terms of spiciness, it seems to make up for it with its crisp finish. In short, this beer strays away from the style guidelines by not having noticeable notes of herbal spices.

Feel: Whilst the beer is too light in the department of flavours, the brewers got the mouthfeel more or less right. The beer was a little bit watery. It doesn't have the creaminess you would expect from other Witbiers. During the finish, expect a crisp feel as I mentioned in the previous paragraph. There is no bitterness on the dry finish as the objective of a Witbier is to be refreshing.

Overall: Whether you like Anheuser-Busch or not, you must give credit where credit is due. The ABV, which is at 5.20%, is between the recommended range, which is 4.5-5.5%. Shock Top Belgian White is not a sophisticated Witbier that comes from a microbrewery. After all, the brewer admits that he or she "added a little coriander spice to the mix" on the label. This is your keyword that reflects the brewer's objective to only do the minimum and offer a refreshing beer. All in all, this beer is made to please to the masses.

2.5/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yellow hazy color, citrus smell, light mouthfeel, watery thin tasting. 4th of the variety 12 pack. So far I'm not a fan of Shock Top. Looks like a craft beer, taste like the macrobrew it is. Good marketing, poor product.

3.79/5  rDev +25.9%

I'm Homeless

We're selling our house and buying another, but meanwhile we're staying at the Residence Inn. They serve food a few nights a week, and they always have beer. They always have interesting stuff too, beers that I otherwise might not ever try. Unfortunately they only permit two beers per room, but we've figured a way to get around that. A cute Latina is in charge of the meals, and I've impressed her with my Spanish skills and humor, and she doesn't mind that I take a couple (or a few) extras.

What were we talking about? Oh right. The Shock Top Belgian White. I only like Belgian whites when I'm in the mood for it, but the other night all they had was this, another white beer that I didn't like at all, and Bud Light so I had to go with this. I wasn't in the mood for Belgian White, but this was really good. I prefer to pour it into a glass and see the color and smell the aroma, but they didn't have beer glasses so I had to drink it right out of the bottle. It has a very subtle yet not too subtle taste, and I was loving it. This is even better than Leinenkugel's.

I'm probably not going to drive across town to get this, but I was NOT disappointed.

3.78/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I've had the opportunity to buy lots of Shock Top in bulk over the last year, so I've had plenty of time to get acquainted (and used to) their beers. So tonight, I'm RE-reviewing the Belgian White.

A : Poured into a globe snifter. The appearance is hazy orange-yellow, with 90% opacity. The head initially is very large, but gradually recedes to a fluffy ring.

S : Lots of wheat, and a bit of both juiced and peeled orange. There's also a hint of salt in the aroma.

T : Light rushes of barley, wheat, and coriander. The unfiltered quality comes through and it stays pretty linear and subdued with any fruity esters that are introduced. The finish is of wheat cracker and juiced orange.

F : Creamy, medium bodied, with appropriate carbonation. It ends crisp and clean.

O : The focus of Shock Top's Belgian White is not a sophisticated Witbier, but rather a refreshing one. There are better Witbiers out there, but I've had way worse from respected craft breweries. This doesn't even come close to a bad beer. It's great and refreshing for hot days or cool nights indoors. Especially great when you can find them on sale/clearance like I did.

2.98/5  rDev -1%

I was startled to find that this is a beer by Anheuser-Busch although the 5.2% ABV rating is more than believable. I was an avid Belgian wheat drinker before seeing the light and becoming a hop head where the real beer is.

Look-It pours a slightly hazy orange gold with a white head and thin lacing.

Smell-It smells of orange peel, yeast, wheat, and coriander.

Taste-The taste—surprise, surprise—follows the nose, but with less orange peel unfortunately. I did pick up on some nice notes from the coriander and yeast.

Mouthfeel-It is not without effervescent carbonation and a smooth finish. It is light-medium bodied, but crisp and subtle.

Overall-It is a nice beer, but nothing spectacular. I would drink it at a restaurant if the only other options were Bud Light, Corona, Heineken, and Stella Artois. However, I wouldn’t bring this puny beer to a Game of Thrones viewing night with the guys.

3.19/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

L- Cloudy-turbid orange body and a creamy white head.
S- Strong wheat smell and a slight touch of spicy coriander.
T- Lots of wheat and orange peel. Coriander did jump out.
F- Pretty much like drinking milk. Very chewy.
O- Mouthfeel killed this beer for me. The other aspects were ok, but I wouldn't have this again.

3.12/5  rDev +3.7%

Pulled it out of the "build your own six pack" cooler because I've never tried it. Traffic light amber, smells and tastes of oranges -- the marshmallow orange circus peanuts specifically. And I mean that in a good way because there isn't a lot of taste here. I could swill it like water. Carbonation is light, overall it's a refreshing beer, not the best, but I drank it all and -- depending on my choices -- would certainly get it again. I have a couple of friends who order the "lightest, mildest" beer on tap. I would direct them to this and they would LOVE it.

4.01/5  rDev +33.2%

I love ShockTop Belgium White, and honestly have very little bad to say about it. The truth is that it is one of the best Mid-Range beers out there (ie ShockTop, Blue Moon, Samuel Adams). It's nothing fancy, no cocoa, bananas or espresso beans... Looking at you yazoo... But it's good. This is one of those beers I drink when I go to a restaurant and need something with my steak or seafood, not one that I drink when I am looking for something new or need a 6 pack to bring to a Game of Thrones viewing party. Bottom line, this is beer... It's good, not great, and it's an awesome beer for when you want just that... A simple, good tasting, beer.

2.36/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

The good news is this beer is drinkable. The bad news is that is the only good thing I can say about it. As dull and as humdrum as you can get. When I saw that it was brewed in St. Louis, I should have guessed it was an AB beer.

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch