Shock Top Belgian White | Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Witbier

Originally known as Spring Heat Spiced Wheat

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.

Added by zjungleist on 03-11-2006

3.1

View: Beers
Ratings: 3,963 |  Reviews: 907
3.66/5  rDev +23.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, Shock Top is a cloudy pale gold with a big, fluffy white head that is fairly slow to settle, leaving only a smattering of lace.

Smell is sour wheat, citrus, and a quinine like mineral bite.

Taste is pretty grainy, particularly on the long lingering aftertaste. The citrus was not as dominant as I feared (lime, lemon and orange all cited on the label), and is well integrated. A pretty solid Witbier, I'm really suprised it from AB, decent refreshment while maintaining a few flavor. I'd certainly take it over Budweiser.

Mouthfeel is crisp, drier, medium bodied.

Drinkability is pretty good, this first one washed down my pulled pork easy enough, but I'm not in a hurry to drink the rest of the 6 pack. I would have never bought this, a Witbier from AB, but someone brought it over my house, and I'm glad I gave it a try.

2.41/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Pint from Naja's Place for three dollars during happy hour a few days ago, reviewed from notes, ordered having no idea what it was, should have stuck with the usual suspects

A-Pale golden yellow with some orange highlights, 3/4 inch foamy white head that did not budge for a few minutes, decent retention, no lacing

S-Funky lemon aroma, wheat, coriander, other spices, malt, orange peel, very weak overall and could barely distinguish anything

T-Started off with a sweet orange taste, some light wheat and malt in the middle, finish was also sweet with more citrus, some weird spices came out later and were not exactly pleasant, needed some hops or something to balance out the funky fruity and spicy flavors, not too complex overall

M-Light and sweet mouthfeel, thin body, too much carbonation, taste did not last long at all, watered down

D-Could drink a few of these because they are so light but would not want to, low ABV and not heavy on the stomach

Had never heard of this before and there is probably a good reason, bartender said I was one of the first people that ordered it after it had been on tap for over a week, one of the weakest witbiers I have ever had, would not drink again, not recommended

2.2/5  rDev -25.7%

I had this on tap after noticing an unfamiliar beer I had not tried before in the line-up. The bartender even warned me and asked if I was sure I wanted a pint of this stuff.One of the worst beers on drought I think I have had and thought it was a shame it was taking up space on the lines.Just stick to bluemoon and stay clear of this beer that has already added the orange flavor in it.

3.2/5  rDev +8.1%

this is not bad from a macro. it was a light yellow and slightly cloudy. pretty decent citrus smell and taste. some decent lacing in the glass and light carbonation. i would like to try this one out of a bottle to compare but it is worth a try.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

3.77/5  rDev +27.4%

12 oz twisty cap bottle> Stella glass

Pours out white gold with yellow and orange hues...nice carbonation, very spuradic. The head is a full two-fingers at first with medium retention and a thin, pure-white head that sticka around well.

The aroma is very nice, there's sweet, herbal lemmons, spicey corriander, wheat 'n grains malt and very wet, musty earth effect. I dig it.

This is a very light and crisp... no, zesty feeling and tasting brew. A very earthy and herbal wheat malt combines with the tang and zest of corriander, fresh lemmons and orange peels, and the sweet outer shell of the kumkwat. sp) The spicey wheat malt and earthy herbs seems to be in perfect balance. Finishes with a sour, yeastie and very hebal backdrop.

This is not a bad hot-day, mid-summer brew! Easy to drink, flavorful and well balanced but also refreshing. A good beach or pool-side brew.

3.63/5  rDev +22.6%

Poureda cloudy light apricot color with moderate white puffy head. Average retention with sparse lacing.
Smell shows stongs notes of lemony scitrus and corriander spice.
Taste has has some nice lemon secents and more of the spiciness.
A bit thin at the ending with a quickly disappearing taste.
A good example of the style.

2.75/5  rDev -7.1%

The look was golden clear. There was little head and some lace did remain. The smell was of grains and citrus. The taste was light hops that were barely there and of course orange and some spice. The feel was yeast and grains. There is not much to this beer,but I feel that in comparison I have had a lot worse. This beer is just too watered down to be considered worth buying again. Nice try Bud,but no cigar.

Note: I am getting the strong impression that the Superpower
Breweries sense the Revolution and they want a piece. There is a place for these intentions and they are not in the boardrooms of advertising & marketing firms. They are in the hearts of the Brew masters who make the beer. Build it and they will come.

3.13/5  rDev +5.7%

A pale golden body with a moderate frothy head that left a little bit of lacings. A light, citrusy smell, but nothing else. No hops, no spices, nothing but orange, and that is how I would describe the taste. It is like a sweeter version of orange juice with alcohol with the exception of some light spiciness on the backend. Goes down very smooth, but I doubt I would drink this again. A watered-down, bastardized macro version of a Belgian Witbier.
Not too bad though.

3.12/5  rDev +5.4%

Got home one night and found one of these in my fridge that a buddy had dropped off for me. My take on it was that it was a weak attempt at a belgian wit beer. There was just a hint of the belgian yeast but just lacking any real taste I expect from this style. Maybe on a hot summer day BBQing, but not a one and done beer. This one you could easily drink the six pack in a sitting, and still be waiting for more.

1.9/5  rDev -35.8%

We tried this mostly to see what AB's answer to Blue Moon was going to be, and no one was impressed. Most people agreed that this was brewed for those who thought Blue Moon was just a little too intense for them, which is kind of a scary thought. It's paler than most Belgian Whites, lacking the spice and mouthfeel that make them distinctive.

2.28/5  rDev -23%

Served on-tap at a Chili's in Waterbury.

A: Poured a bright yellow with a weak hazy chill of what might be a wheat appearance. The head was thin and white and there was little to no retention.

S: Smell was very faint and acrid citrus and wheat with an artificial lemon squeeze in it.

T: Taste was not all that great. A liquid cool lemon flavor backed with some puny malts and no real hop bitterness. The wheat does come through somewhat, but in a thin, watered down way.

M: Mouthfeel is a bit sharp and stinging, either from artificial agents or the over-carbonation of the brew.

D: It wasn't exactly a chore to get through this one, but I told the bartender not to recommend it should anyone ask what it was. It's got a time and a place; hot outdoor summer function.

Described to me as Bud's version of Blue Moon, but came off more to me like a Hoeggarden trapped in a nightmare. If Anheuser-Busch wasn't selling enough of their In Heat Summer Wheat, they didn't have to try and fake us out with this shoddy re-branding.

3.56/5  rDev +20.3%

Pours golden with a one finger plus white head. Very good retention,and a nice lacing.Body is light,and carbonated. Aroma is of sweet fruits,and spices.Nice,but a bit weak. Taste spiced fruit,with a bit of a peppery finish. Not the best version of this style,but far from the worst.

3.45/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle to a pilsener glass. Had a golden color, with a cloudy consistency. Not quite as vibrant as others of this style. Had a decent-sized head, but not huge.

Had a sharp citrusy smell that overwhelmed everything else.

This had a nice orange-tinged taste to it. It wasn't overly complex, but not bad.

This one could've used a bit more carbonation in it. Didn't have the necessary bite to it. Had a slightly syrupy finish.

This isn't a bad beer overall, but I can think of others of this style I'd drink first.

3.11/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a bright yellow with a moderate white head. Good appearance.

Smell is bit artificial. A fake orange taste, subtle, but that's not a good thing when you don't have much else going on. There is a bit of a skunky aftertaste. Not sure if that is due to age or intention.

Overall: Fun for a summer day but not good for much else.

3.87/5  rDev +30.7%

I picked this up, not realizing it was an AB product until I got it home. I figured the store would not take a return and after the batch of bad ZON I had, I figured I'd try it.

It poured a thick dark tan color and smelled of citrus. I looked in the bottle and could see a large ring of white stuff clumped in the bottom. Doesn't say that it was bottle conditioned, so I was getting scared. It says unfiltered, but come on.

I took a small sip and expected something overpouring and bitter, but it wasn't. The fruitiness is a bit more than it should be, but the wheat taste came through.

I would have liked a bit more creaminess on the tongue and less fruitiness, but otherwise I definitely would prefer this to Blue Moon if I am buying beer at a hockey game with only mega-brews on tap.

Also, for the current $2.50 price difference between this and most other 6-packs of wits, this is the one to share with someone that hasn't developed a taste for wheat beers.

4.5/5  rDev +52%

We saw this beer by chance in a local wine shop and figured we'd try it.

The beer has a very nice color, good head, good carbonation, and nice citrus refreshing flavor.

This beer is a lot like blue moon, just a little more mild and smooth of a flavor, and a tad more citrusy.

I like it, so does my bud...we'll definately buy it again.

3.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a weizen glass. Followed the bottle instruction for how to pour. The beer is a hazy pale yellow with my pour producing a foamy white head about 1 inch. Head does not last too long, leaves just a ring around the glass and no lacing.

Smell: Lemony citrous aromas. I think I even get a bit of a bready, yeasty, aroma half way through.

Taste: Citrous fruity (mostly lemon). A light wheaty body. Nothing bitter at all (little to no hops?).

Mouthfeel: Light in body, crisp, clean finish(no lingering aftertaste).

Drinkability: Easy to drink, ok to session with (I don't get easily bored with it). An ok beer. If if is still around in the summer I may give another 6 a go.

3.48/5  rDev +17.6%

has a flaxen flaxen color with a decent head. taste is a subtle mix of orange rind and malt. the flavor is a slightly bitter but quite tasty mix of orange, lemon, and spices. the bottle says there is some lime in there, but i can only taste it if i close my eyes, put my forefingers to my temple, and say "oooommmm" for a minute or so. but that's not a complaint -- this one goes down smoothly and would be a good session beer.

I didn't notice that this was brewed by anheuser-busch until I logged into beeradvocate. I'm glad about that -- I hate most of their other bland offerings, but this is an enjoyable belgian white.

3.8/5  rDev +28.4%

pours a hazy straw yellow with a one finger white head and a small amount of lace. hints of orange and coriander in the nose. taste is mostly of the orange with hints of lemon and line in the background. mouthfeel light carbonation ok. surprisingly not bad i would buy it again.

3.43/5  rDev +15.9%

Appears a hazy golden hue with bright white frothy head dwindles at a moderate pace with thin specks of lacing strung evenly around my Hoegaarden glass. Aroma sharp citrus mild sprite flow to it with coriander and really musty yeast notes. I guess they added orange, lime, and citrus peels to the mix all their missing are Clementine and pummelo peels. Flavor is present a bit mellow spice like Chamomile, persistent coriander, citrus notes and more yeasty goodness. A definite solid offering from one of the big three. Looks like a wit, smells like a wit, and tastes like a wit holy shit they can brew to style. Spices to linger for me knocking down drinkability in general but that's typical for the style in my opinion this one just seems extra spiced. Mouthfeel is light bodied spritzy carbonation with a tickling sharp citrus acidity and coriander coating stays with your palate. Drinkability is solid definitely better than the other seasonals these guys attempt to put out there.

2.39/5  rDev -19.3%

Shock Top Belgian White pours a hazy yellow with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. The aroma is definitely citrusy if not sour. The flavor is not pleasantl, there may be a touch of coriander, but it's not particularly noticeable. I would like a bit more wheat flavor, and although there should probably be more coriander to be true to style. Had to try it because it was from Anheuser. And like all there other beers I will not be drink it again.

2.7/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a five finger white head that fades quickly to a thin layer leaving some lace. Cloudy pale amber color with a lot of yeast left in bottle. Light carbonation and light bodied. Faint wheat nose. Flavor is like lemonade without the citric bite, could be a good summer beer but it doesn't have the hop backbone. $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Capitol Convenience Concord, NH.

3.6/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Shock Top Belgian White pours a hazy yellow with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. The aroma is definitely citrusy. The flavor is also pleasantly citrusy, there may be a touch of coriander, but it's not particularly noticeable. I would like a bit more wheat flavor, and although there should probably be more coriander to be true to style, I don't mind. Pleasant, easy to drink.

3.5/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured form a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass, the liquid is yellow cloudy and has OK carbonation. The head is small one finger white and leave little lace.

The smell is faint citrus and grainy with some yeast scent.

The taste follows, the citrus peal is thick and is a heavy grain taste, the yeast is a minor player, odd for the style. The orange ring after taste is not so great but I do like the for taste some what and the beefed up malt taste.

The mouthfeel is thin and moderately carbonated.

The drinkability is ok, very cool looking bottle to be sure but the beer as a whole is worth a try but not some thing I would look for. MK

4.5/5  rDev +52%

Color: Pours a cloudy yellow-white color with a small but foamy head.

Aroma: Coriander and orange peel in the aroma. Appetizing smell but will the taste match up? So far, so good.

Taste: Nice and wheaty. Orange peel and coriander make their presence known upfront. Pleasant and like eating an orange. Goes down smooth. No goofy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Never too dry or wet. Smooth.

Verdict: I actually like this witbier. It's smooth, decent and interesting introduction to the style. I will give A-B credit for this one.

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch