Shock Top Belgian White | Anheuser-Busch

Read the review
Shock Top Belgian WhiteShock Top Belgian White

Missouri, United States

Style: Witbier

We’ve shaken up traditional tastes by brewing a spiced Belgian-style wheat ale with real orange, lemon and lime peels,and then added a little coriander spice to the mix. This uniquely-crafted and award-winning ale is unfiltered to create a brew that is naturally cloudy with a light golden color and a smooth, refreshing finish.

Added by Bitterbill on 12-04-2007

Reviews: 800 | Ratings: 3,667
1.53/5  rDev -49.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Awful overall. The taste makes me want to vomit. It is most definitely two notches under most wheat beers on the market. It features a complicated, medicinal, chemical blend of citrus flavors. Poor look too, loses its head of foam quickly and looks flat thereafter. This beer is poor at best.

2.6/5  rDev -13.6%

essentially the same beer as Blue Moon Belgian White. Only difference is that this beer makes me sick. Idk what it is what Anheuser-Busch products but there is something they use that makes my stomach sick

1.71/5  rDev -43.2%

I had some hopes when I opened the bottle - but they were clearly dashed.
It makes sense that this is Bud's version of a Belgian Wheat
Light, insipid, somewhat fuzzy mouth feel.
A little darker and more cloudy than a regular Bud - so they made an attempt

3.75/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Nice beer, crisp and clean, not a whole lot of flavor, good for a hot day or to drink with spicy food, better with lemon, lime, orange wedge added to it. would buy again

4.26/5  rDev +41.5%

They just started carrying this at the local Olive Garden. It is tasty and I like the way it looks ...cloudy with character. It's very smooth beer with a nice but minimal citrus taste.. if you like a smooth beer with some character, this is pretty good stuff. If you think your beer needs to taste like a hops covered shoe dipped in alcohol and with dirt added for color, this isn't going to cut it..

3.1/5  rDev +3%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a nice mix of citrus and grass, not overwhelming
Appearance- A murky golden yellow with a medium sized white head.
Taste- Has a nice flavor of wheat and a slight citrus backdrop
Palate- A light bodied brew with medium carbonation that has a crisp finish
Overall- Not a bad beer, middle of the road.

3.1/5  rDev +3%

Get all preconceived notions out of your head before drinking....

Don't think about who it was made by
Don't view it as a crafty beer

Just drink. It's pretty refreshing! I would say on a blind test that it has an adjunct light base, but ramped up slightly with some depth and nicer mouthfeel. Looks pretty good too.

As long as this stays in the correct price range (lower end) it's a decent and tasty alternative to the piss filth Anheuser-Busch pumps out otherwise.

2.87/5  rDev -4.7%

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a hazy golden hue witha two finger white head that fades almost immediately to leave a thin halo and light wisps. No real lacing at all.

S - Aromas of soft belgian esters, light banana, faint wheat.

T - Taste is similar to the nose, soft belgian easters, gentle wheat, banana, lighter lemon.

M - Mouthfeel is crisp, on the thinner side.

O - Overall...yeah, no one is buying this beer to savor and enjoy. Is is pleasant with an orange slice, sure, but as is it gets the job done and goes well with food.

Serving Type: Bottle

2.3/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I had this with and without an orange. With the orange, I primarily tasted the orange and very little of the beer itself. It was more like a soda than a beer. Without the orange, and overall, I found the beer less than average. I could taste the citrus and coriander, which gave it an earthy tone, but, unfortunately, it just wasn't all that great.

2.69/5  rDev -10.6%

Well, this isn't a great "craft beer," but it's not as though it's undrinkable....as though all of us didn't grow up on PBR, Milwaukee' Best, Bud Light, etc. So, that said, this is a slightly below average beer, but very below average Belgian/Wheat. With the lemon/fruit smell and taste, leave this to the summer. I wold much rather see this served at a summer party as oppposed to Miller Lite, Coors Light, etc.

A - Light orange/yellow in color and hazy, it almost reminded me of pear juice; it started with a nice white foamy head and not overly thick, but dissipated almost completely; small amount of sediment
S - Crisp lemon and fruit
T - Nothing overpowering, or even dominant in flavor; easy to drink; some lemon, but generally weak if you are looking for big taste
F - moderate carbonation
O - You could easily drink 3-4 of these , can be refreshing if you didn't mind the lack of beer taste; it tastes mass produced, if that makes sense

3.53/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to a Stella Artois goblet.

A: Bright golden orange, hazy, with a 1 finger white head that fades to a layer of foam.
S: Orange peel, slight alcohol tang, some spice notes.
T: Sweetness, candy orange flavor. Some yeastyness at the end. Same tasting malt as the adjunct lagers.
M: Medium mouthfeel. Less creamy than Blue Moon. Very drinkable and refreshing.
O: About the same as Blue Moon, but it seems to be more of a mix between a witbier and an adjunct lager. A little crisper, though. Buy whichever is cheapest.

3.09/5  rDev +2.7%

I don't get the vitriol for this beer; it isn't a bad beer by any means, it's just not a great beer. Is it a legitimate Belgian beer? Of course not, but Budweiser isn't really a legitimate lager, so I'll judge it on its taste alone: pretty good, not bad.

2.67/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Why did I buy this, on tap no less? I am still not sure. The truth of the matter is, I was sitting in my local pub and I had had a couple beers, and I was trying to mix it up a little, and I thought, "What the hell, how bad can it be?" Pretty bad, as it turns out. And I knew this was a bad idea going in. So here it goes:

Shock Top Belgian White, served on tap in a standard pint glass:

Appearance: A pale, foggy mash with an almost nonexistent head. A stupid orange slice sits precariously on edge of the glass. Gag me with a teaspoon! I threw that damned thing away immediately.

Aroma: Good question. There wasn't any. Maybe a distant rotten citrus scent? But that was probably from the orange slice I just discarded.

Taste: Bland, slightly citrus, some wheat but not much. This is one damned crappy "crafty" beer. My tongue is NOT thanking me right now.

Mouthfeel: About average, light, and very slight carbonation. Not overly pleasant. Not disgusting either. It just is.

Overall: This beer is certainly below par, but what was I really expecting anyway? I got it just because, and I regretted it from start to finish. I would never order this again. Period.

2.87/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Type: 12-oz. bottle
Glass: Lagunitas mason jar
From: Albertsons in Alpine, Calif.
Price: $10.99 for a variety 12-pack
Purchased: Dec. 3, 2014
Consumed: Dec. 6, 2014
Misc.: Bottled on Oct. 8, 2014; Bottled read, “To serve, pour down side of glass until ½ inch is left in bottle. Swirl and pour remaining brew to release the aroma and flavor. Enjoy!”

Poured a honey, orange, straw, hazy color with 1-to-2 fingers of off-white head that dissipated rather quickly. Some bubbles coming up from the bottom, but nothing crazy. No lacing on the sides. Minimal retention on the top. (Sight - 2.75)

Smelled citrus zest, orange peel, coriander, Alka-Seltzer, caramel, citrus wheat and grassy hops. (Smell - 3.25)

Tasted pretty bland overall. Got coriander, Citra hops, orange peel, caramel, grassy hops, orange wheat, honey and Alka-Seltzer. (Taste - 2.75)

Light body. Oily-to-thin texture. Lively-to-fizzy carbonation. Abrupt, somewhat fruity finish. (Feel - 2.75)

It’s funny how I used to like this beer. But I also put an orange in there and we all know that you can never trust a beer that needs fruit added to it. (Overall - 2.75)

2.87 | 67 | C

2.82/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.75

Has a cloudy golden look, with a small white head.

Smells of yeast and malt.

There is definitely something appealing about this taste. With a lot of bananas, cloves, citrus, Belgian-ish yeast, and malt. Sadly, the carbonation completely overwhelms this beer. I could see myself drinking a fair bit of this if the carbonation was subtler, as what I was able to feel beyond the carbonation was quite intriguing.

In this state, this is a tolerable beer. I just wish it was a good one.

3.19/5  rDev +6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A very hazy orange with bits of what I presume to be citrus peel swimming around. Not much of a head. Smells like your average mass marketed beer. The tongue senses lots of carbonation & citrus tangyness. Not too sweet, not too citrusy, not too much flavor but not bad.

2.25/5  rDev -25.2%

Okay...took a few sips from a friend's bottle, here are my thoughts.....

Haven't had this in a few years, and it's exactly as I remember. Almost no nose, what is there is one of weak citrus fruit. Taste is the same, a weak white ale that finishes with a citrus, almost sour end. Not a great example of the style, even for a BMC offering.

There are MUCH better options out there.

2.9/5  rDev -3.7%

Well. My options tonight were the ubiquitous American Light Pale Lagers... and this. It was inoffensive and satisfying for the place I was at. It's Anheiser-Busch's "craft" line, and honestly feels like they tasted Blue Moon and went "oh, yeah? Well, HERE."

2.38/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Really not much to this one. Some grainy and citrus elements, particularly orange. Light and simple. Beyond that, little depth, flavor and complexity. I simply wanted to at least try this one. Now that I've done that, I have decided that once is quite enough.

3.28/5  rDev +9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours with a small, white head. Is golden in color and very murky. Has aromas of citrus from brewed peels and wheat that combine to create and alright smell. Initial taste is strong with coriander, but not too strong. Orange and like combine to create a finishing flavor. Overall taste is alright. A right in the middle beer.

Poured into Belgium pint glass.
Appearance: Cloudy orange. Starts as a two finger white head which fades to a film with some lacing.
Smell: Oranges and wheat.
Taste: Very slight orange flavour and moderate wheat. Slight bitterness on the finish. Sickly corn, a common flavour in macro brews, is only slightly present. Body is light with high carbonation.
Overall: A fairly drinkable beer which is relatively free of the astringent corn flavour that is present in most of their other beers.

3.25/5  rDev +8%

I usually like IPA's and I was kinda disappointed to find out this was made by "them". But I have to say that this has a consistent drinkability and enough flavor to make it above average.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I have tried about 3 or 4 Shock Top brand beers and I have not liked one yet. It's as if they took some old beer and then tried to add various flavors to it. I'm sorry but I would not try again or recommend.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

I've reviewed this beer before (I don't know where it went, sometimes they just disappear, probably in data transfer to new servers or whatever) so I won't go into detail. Everyone knows what it is anyway.

I wonder, however, why it has such poor ratings on BA. It's a bit dark for the style, I'll say that. And perhaps the head retention and lacing could be a little better, but I still think it's pretty good for the style. It's a bit malty, mainly wheaty in the aroma, but there's still some coriander to it, as well as orange peel, and all of that carries into the flavor as well. It's rounded and balanced. It might be fuller than I'd expect, but there are other American breweries doing the same. Blue Moon is much heavier, and scores better, and there are a lot of brewpubs and smaller micros in the same boat. Besides all of that, it's clean and consistent. I think it's just getting a bad rap here because it's made by A-B.

2.96/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy gold, fizzy head that completely dissipates.

Smell: Not strong at all. Maybe a hint of wheat and orange.

Taste: Nothing to write home about. Some fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Too much pop for my liking of a wheat beer.

Overall: Nice beer for a a party. Light and easy to drink.

Shock Top Belgian White from Anheuser-Busch