Budweiser American Ale | Anheuser-Busch

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by KI9A on 06-08-2008

Ratings: 1,109 |  Reviews: 766
3.1/5  rDev -0.6%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, pop top. From the "inventor" of the born on date, we get a cryptic date code?! Other than that it is a decent looking bottle.

Appearance: Amber colored, average sized head, fades to just a bit of lacing.

Smell: Caramel malt, just a bit of fruity hops.

Taste: Medium bodied, similar caramel flavors as the aroma had, hops are there a bit in the finish but subdued.

Overall impression: This is a fairly average amber ale - that said its better than most Bud offerings. Unfortunately it was priced at the microbrew tier and not the macro, so I certainly won't be buying it again at those prices.

3.98/5  rDev +27.6%

I find it odd that the very first thing I noticed about the Budweiser American Ale was that the bottle looks very British. It's the wider neck at the top that does it. Anyway...

It pours a crystal-clear auburn body with reddish and golden highlights. The head is off-white of light khaki in color, and it holds remarkably well, leaving wide craggy rings of lace behind.

The aroma is bready, and a touch doughy, with a distinct caramel edge, some yeasty fruitiness (juicy apple, soft berry, some plum), some spiciness, and delicate floral, leafy, and citrusy hops.

The flavor is sweetish with a combination of caramelish malts and yeasty fruitiness. Hops appear across the middle and into the finish where they mix with the dusky caramelish malt to become leafy and grassy. Spicy accents appear throughout as it crosses the palate, and then twinkle in the lingering finish. It's surprisingly rich, and fairly complex - based on the color and already held perceptions, I was expecting something more like Killarney's but this is much fuller in flavor and complexity.

A basic amber ale, but quite enjoyable! I'd love to find this on tap.

3.52/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from 12 oz bottle to pint glass. Pours crystal clear hyper-amber (yes, I invented a color, it was amber but almost "neon-ish"). Thick fluffy white head much like a macro product. Smell was nice. Biscuity, malty, a bit of hops, really what I would expect from an Amber. Taste was good as well. A dry, not too sweet, malt with a little hop kick at the end. Really not too complicated. Mouthfeel was a little thin but not too bad. Overall I thought this was a very drinkable beer and will definitely be welcomed in a bar where they only have macro products. This hads down would be the choice (unless Sam or SNPA was there).

3.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a super clear amber with two finger off white head

Smells slights of citrus hop with a biscuity malt smell

Taste is sweet caramel and biscuit malts with a light fruity hop in the background. Pretty balanced and easy drinking.

Mouthfeel is fairly thin and kind of oily. I didn't feel this was overly carbonated. Easy drinking.

Drinakability is high. It's on the level with Sam Adams Boston Lager in my book. If I were at a restaurant lacking really interesting craft beer I'd go with this or SA. I'd personally like to see the hops beefed up just a little bit but that might turn off the customer base they are shooting for.

3.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Clear amber with 2 finger of white head. Moderate retention; head settles to a white collar with some lacing.

S - Lots of caramel and biscuit malt with a vague fruitiness and some hops hiding somewhere.

T - Not much to be said here. Pale, uninteresting malt is the main focus with mere suggestions of the caramel character from the nose. There's a touch of indistinct fruitiness which is accompanied by a quick hop bitterness.

M - Light bodied leaning towards medium. Moderate to high carbonation but not prickly.

D - Easy drinking, but sadly like most A-B products this is due to a real lack of flavor. While there is flavor there, this is easily the most watered down aspect of the beer, as I feel the aroma and mouthfeel are both decent. Overall this is an OK beer, but probably not anything I'll bother to buy again. It straddles flavor and flavorlessness, which I already have preferences for on both sides.

3.78/5  rDev +21.2%

Pours a clear reddish color with a large white head that quickly settles to a thin cap. Just a little lacing is left on the glass.

Has just a light citrus hop aroma and faint toasted malt.

Surprising good flavor. Not big by any stretch but has malt and hop flavor. More than what can be said about other A-B beer. Nice citrus flavors from the hops but I would of liked the malt to come out more.

Overcarbonated and the the body is a touch thin. Not watery but lacks any depth.

For $6.99 a 6-pack it is a decent deal. Not a regular buy for me as I would rather give my money to a local brewery but I suspect this may be widely available at bars that feature macro lager and nothing else.

3.49/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a clear amber red color with a nice white head and plenty of carbonation. Great appearance, the best aspect of this beer no doubt.

Scent of malts and hops with a pinch of alcohol. Nothing special, but it certainly isn't bad.

Taste of sweet malts and hops balance out quite nicely, with a hint of citrus, not bad at all.

Mouthfeel is clean, but oily and inconsistent.

Overall, I was pleased with this beer and at an attractive price I may very well buy this again.

3.85/5  rDev +23.4%

Pours a nice amber with a good initial quarter-inch head. Smell is a decent nose of malt with a faint, grassy presence. Taste is a nice semi-sweet malt, with a definite floral undertone. Mouthfeel is a blend of initially sweet malt that finishes with a definite dry hop finish. Very easy on the drinkability scale...smooth to dry transition is very nice. Very happy to see AB delving into more creative brewing.

3.41/5  rDev +9.3%

I guess my expectations weren't too high for this beer, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. In my pint glass it was a cherry amber color with a thick tan head that dissipated quickly. There was a minimal amount of lacing present. A faint citrus aroma. Sweet malt taste with a late hops presence. Maybe a little bit on the mild side, but not a bad beer.

3.44/5  rDev +10.3%

A - A nice amber color. A hard pour got me almost three fingers of head but it settled down to hald a finger leaving some lacing all around the glass's sides. Very little visible carbonation.

S - The nice light citus scent when first poured quickly lessened as the head shrank. It finally held steady at almost not detected. A tiny bit of toasted malt can also be found.

T - Surprisingly nice taste. A fruitiness hides in the background almost hidden by the malts. But then it seems to at times push more forward and the malts take a back seat. The fight for attention but don't try to overpower the other.

M - The citrus lingers a bit but as a nice aftertaste. The Beer is smooth and clean. The carbonation is more noticed and clean the tongue after each swallow it seems.

D - Very drinkable. I can see getting this at a bar/club with friends. When you want something with some flavor, a nice change from the usual yellow beers.

Anheuser-Busch has almost a hundred beers listed on Beeradvocate.com alone. Of these less then ten have I tried and liked even a bit. This beer is now on this same list. They at least try and I have to give the company props for it Here's To Beer campaign. Good going. Now will Inbev kill this spirit or help keep it going. Time will only tell.

3.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours an effervescent copper with 1 finger of sand colored head. Above average head retention & lacing

S: Caramel & not much else

T: Fruittyness ( pears, apples ) dryness, a touch of grainyness & some caramel up front. Chalky dryness, grainyness, metal taste & slight flowery hops, plus more caramel as this warms. Caramel & grainyness, plus a light bit of orangey hops

MF: Light bodied, with low carbonation, the balance is a bit like the taste, meh

Drinks alright, I could down a few in a pinch, but wouldn't seek it out. I got this as a single, but @ $7.99 a sixer, this is WAY over priced. I wanted to like this, but, the taste is just too tamped down for me

3.55/5  rDev +13.8%

Sampling this (as we speak) for the first time. From a bottle stamped '08 24 9 s158' - gonna have to decode this. $6 in Massachusetts. Smells & tastes very fresh. Poured into a pint glass, nice looking copper with a fast head, but nice lacing.

Ahh, the smell of Cascades in the morning.... very nice. Now, as I raise the glass, I'm 'spectin' the taste of Bud, but, no. This is a nice balanced ale. They didn't go overboard on the hops, but they're there for sure. In a blind test I woulda never guessed Bud. I'm searchin' for good cheap beer, and this could join Narragansett as part of my solution. Cheers!

3.34/5  rDev +7.1%

This was poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - very clear medium amber color with a thick, foamy head that is well retained; leaves a nice lacing

S - light toasted grain scent with some alcohol noticed and a very faint touch of hops

T - dominate malt flavor with some light toasted grain taste; slight yeast fruitness with a slight hop finish

M - medium body, moderate carbonation

D - This is probably one of A-B best mass-marketed efforts. Being available in every bar in America would be nice, but unfortunately I don't believe this will happen (I thought the new all-malt Mic might have gone that way, but nope). I think this beer has/had the potential to be something unique and fantastic, but as it stands, it's just an average American amber style most likely blanded out by a marketing department which is probably divided about making a craft beer but attempting to appeal to a larger market segment. Gateway beer? Perhaps. But what will you 'gateway' into - certainly not an A-B offering. For my money, I'd just go for some of the other mass-marketed 'true' craft beers (and you probably know which ones I mean.) in cases where the establishment has limited selections. Sorry, but too little, too late for the game I think.

4.85/5  rDev +55.4%

I picked up a 6 pack for $6.99 and decided to give it a try. It pours a nice amber color with a good head. Simply put this tastes very close to Yuengling. This is great for those who love Yuengliung, but are not in its limited distribution. Definitely not piss water and I could drink this beer all night.

3.81/5  rDev +22.1%

I picked up a six pack of this last night and was pleasantly surprised to find I enjoyed it more than I had at the tap. It poured into a pint glass with a nice dark amber color and a good head. The smell was not overpowering but nice malt and hops characteristics. Drinking it there is a good malty body that balances out the hop flavor, granted it could have more hop flavor but for the target market of this ale I think they got it just right. The caramel tones come through as well but are not strong by any means. Overall well balanced taste. I could drink this all night long.

While some will hate it for the AB label but I think a lot will be pleasantly surprised. This is a solid ale and perfect if your favorite ale is not available when you are shopping for beer in a pinch.

3.63/5  rDev +16.3%

I was sitting in a local bar when the A-B man was bringing this in for the first time so I had to try it. The best characteristic of this beer is its appearance. It has a really attractive dark copper color. It had a small head that dissipated rather quickly. I damn near stuck my nose in it, but still the aroma was rather weak. The flavor was very non-descript. Very bland, nothing stood out. The mouthfeel was okay. The drinkability was okay because there was nothing offensive, but there was nothing pleasing about it either.

Update: I had this again recently and I found this to be a bit more tasty and more aromatic than my original assessment of it. I definitely detected more caramel malt flavor and more hoppiness as well. Consequently, I am amending my original numbers.

3.83/5  rDev +22.8%

The beer pours a brilliantly clear amber color with copper highlights with a medium white head that quickly diminished into a thin skim. The aroma is moderate-low citrus hop with medium-low caramel notes. The flavor is moderately malty, caramel-like with medium citrus hop flavor and medium-low bitterness. The finish is prickly, rather clean with a bit of lingering malt. Carbonation is high, a bit too high IMO, the body is medium. Overall a very drinkable beer with good flavor. This beer exceeded my admittedly lower exceptions. A well crafted beer. It doesn't push the envelop of the style, but not every beer needs to, it is well balanced.

2.55/5  rDev -18.3%

Served on tap, this pours a clear amber color with a small white head that slowly dissipates, and leaves little or no lacing on the glass. The smell is just plain bad. It's both sour and skunky. The taste is surprisingly better than the smell. It hits most of the notes of a good British pale ale, with a nice malty flavor with a bit of crispness, except that it is a bit watery. Not a lot of hops there. The mouthfeel is equally watery. This is a marked improvement from Bud's usual cheap lagers, but it's a "beginner" ale and there are many many better examples. Time for Plan B.

3.43/5  rDev +9.9%

When I saw this new brew I just had to give a shot. Big bro brewer aiming one at us beer geeks. Even the beer cap, not a twister, points at this. Anyway this "Ale" pours really good, has a nice amber color and a good two fingers of head and even leaves a bit of lacing behind. Is a bud Belgian triple next? Nose is a bit subdued, but does has some nice malt and sweet caramel notes. Taste is not a good as looks or smells. A slightly stale, grainy and malty flavor is about all that is there, falling in the OK realm is all that I'm getting. It also leaves a slightly unpleasant dry aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light with good carbonation which lends itself to a good session beer. You could likely drink volumes at an outdoor BBQ. A thumbs up to In-Bev, I mean Budweiser for another attempt at us beer geeks.

Prost

3.11/5  rDev -0.3%

A- Copper/amber in color, the beer looks filtered, I'm sure so it looks pretty in the glass. The head was an eyelash shy of a finger width. The head must be introverted and didn't want to stay and play, only partially stayed. The beer must be toying with me.

S- There is a slight hop smell, not one that wants to punch your nose in, but it is there more like it is trying to give you the "Hey whats up" look from the other end of the bar. The hop smell that is there is sweet and grapefruity. I also smell the smell of beer. You know that smell from back at college where all beers smelled the same and it was all about quantity and not quality. I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about. As for those who don't, either you had way too much money, or you never left the library. In other words this smells like an AB lager with pretend-a-hops in it.

T- This has a funny taste, part of me was thinking Chinese food. The malts are strange and more like a funny form of marzipan. The hops are just there to be bitter, not quite butt puckering bitter, but like fermented sour bitter. The hops were not allowed to play in this beer. It's like Communism in a bottle, the hops aren't allowed to do what they should be doing, which is to be free and let their essence come through. Just like the hippies of the 60's-70's in San Francisco, they were one with the environment.

M- As for the mouth feel it feels like beer, well duh it is beer, but there is a dirty after taste. Sort of like the next day after a fun night of partying and that chick you were with just can't escape your taste buds.

D- You could drink this. I'm drinking this. I'm sure it would be a great golden door for those who are still in the dark world of BMC Lagers. However, it would be even better if they had used the hops properly, instead of using them for the sake of using them, and had a better malt character. Is this the same malts they use for the Lager? Did they also use rice or corn in this beer? Overall, it isn't horrendous, but most likely this beer is going to tailor to college people who think they are drinking sophisticated and the others who don't know the difference between a lager and an ale and think that ale is a fancy term.

3.51/5  rDev +12.5%

Copper color, thin but sticky head.

Thin aroma of caramel malt and faint citrusy hops.

Flavor: A passable ale, for sure, which lands somewhere between Bass and Sam Adams Boston Ale.

Caramel malts provide easy drinkability and a moderate body, and hops are restrained but present in just enough quantity to not suck. Mild citrusy Cascades and a lightly peppery hint in the finish. Good drinkability, for some reason I am reminded of the easy quaffability of Anchor Steam.

Drinkable "craft" ale, I'll give it that. This isn't some god-awful concoction of corn and a top fermenting yeast that belongs with macro-swill; it's an honestly good beer. I'd prefer SNPA. I'd prefer Sam Lager or Ale. The line is drawn roughly at Yuengling and Guinness, because this is better than either of those.

I won't seek it out above true craft beer, but it should be a viable option when there isn't much else worth drinking.

3.87/5  rDev +24%

I was pumping my gas today and I saw the Bud Light truck roll in to the parking lot. As I was walking into the store I saw the delievery guy and asked if he wasy delivering any Budweiser American Ale. With a disgusted look he said "Did you try it yet?". Followed that by saying he would have saved me some money, but he ran out of free samples on Friday. Needless to say he told me he didn't like it and I explained to him that I drink different beers. Well you might like it I thought it sucked.

Anyways nice labels and thick glass bottles with pry off tops, holy shit I haven't had a bud product with a pry off top as long as I can remember. Definitely aimed at us beergeeks, pours a clear amber body with a nice textured thick light kahki head, after each sip leaves behind thin uneven lacing. 0251 is etched on all of my neck labels in my sixer, what happened to the born on date?

Aromatics are really pleasant with light but evident hop notes rolling with citrus and mild pine character. Fruity caramel malts blend in with the herbal notes of the hops. Bread and biscuit malt present a great overall balance in the nose.

Flavors althought not as agressive in the hop bitterness as I regularly enjoy, the hop flavor and bitterness are solid here. I'm not thinking terrible like I was expecting, instead this is decent well rounded hoppy amber ale. Not a homerun but a good start for showing us craft beer drinkers that the big guys can do it to. Most of the Michelob has been either really so so or really shitty. This brew is solid hop flavors include citrus and floral notes but the caramel sweet malt finish really brings it altogether. Can't even compare this with a SNPA or other more mainstream crafts like Sam Adams this is it's own beast. Go and try it form your own opinion, it was $6.99 a sixer. I can't wait until the 22s come out it will be a nice every once in awhile brew when access is limited to craft offerings.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied smooth carbonation never cloying easy going on the palate. Solid all around never thought that would be the case.

Drinkability is effortless three down without a problem, flavorful and easy drinking definitely nothing here that makes me not want another. Solid all around good brew by the big boys, could it be better of course. But throwing their flagship Budweiser on a hoppy ale this was a ballsy mover, I think most people's reactions will be like their own delivery guy. He just didn't get it by the way if your in the area only Kroger and Reisbeck's in Wintersville, OH are carrying it right now. Nobody else in Wintersville ordered based on the free samples last week.

2.6/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours a reddish amber with a thin bubbly head that has no hang time to speak of nor any lacing to speak of. The nose is a bit sweet with what smells to be hops,to bad they are so understated. This tastes malty,but a on a scale of ten it's at about a 2.5,a very one dimensional ale that is to thin and foamy. Slight dryness on the finish could be attributed to the hops,but I think it's just the attempt to make a interesting profile that falls well short. I started off tolerating the first bottle,but by the second and third,I was irritated with this beer.

2.62/5  rDev -16%

Well, i finally caved in and picked up a six-pack. A beer from bud that doesnt pour a piss yellow color, ill give them a points for that, after that its all downhill. Not much of an aroma here and the taste is budweiser with a hint of sierra nevada. On the label it raves about the hop presence....rightttt there is some bite but its pretty weak. Would only drink this if the only other choices were bud and bud light, much rather have a sam adams than this. Nice try budweiser, maybe next time.

3.21/5  rDev +2.9%

Tried this with my father-in-law. Poured a clear amber into a pint glass with a surprisingly thick, sudsy head, which quickly popped down to a thin film and left trace hints of lacing. Aroma was a bit of malt and piney hops, but not much else. Mouthfeel is thin and enthusiastically carbonated. Taste was malt and hops in the front, and then an alcohol warmth with a bit of piney hop bitterness toward the finish. Drinkability is moderate to high.

This was a passable brew, and I may add this to my regular rotation of widely available brews such as Yuengling Lager or Sam Adams Boston Lager. However, this is emphatically NOT a "gateway beer" for light beer drinkers. It is simply too drastic a departure, and is obviously not marketed to this demographic.

Budweiser American Ale from Anheuser-Busch