Michelob Dunkel Weisse | Anheuser-Busch

Added by mbrandon2w on 07-24-2008

View: Beers
firstprev| 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next → last
4.1/5  rDev +18.5%

Appearance: Pours a nice, cloudy amber in bright light with a pretty nice tan head. Plenty of tiny carbonation bubbles, and the head sticks around for a while, leaving some nice moderate lacing on the sides of the glass. Outside of direct light, the beer looks like a muddy brown. Not bad, it has all the qualities I would expect from a dunkel weizen, although maybe not quite as much as I would expect.

Smell: Once again, pretty good. I get caramel malts, some nice fresh banana, and cloves. Just how it should be. It's not overpowering, but it is there and strong enough.

Taste: I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, but again... this beer has a taste in line with what I would expect from its appearance and aromas. Nice and malty and wheaty, and the banana and cloves really kick in a bit later in the sip, and especially in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Not light, that's for sure, and not outright heavy. I would say it's somewhere between medium and medium-heavy. No complaints here.

Drinkability: Being made by a megabrewery, you'd expect this to be toned down somewhat and easy to drink. Well, it does seem toned down just a bit, but that's not a bad thing. And it certainly is easy to drink, but perhaps a bit filling. On the other hand, I love wheat beers, so by default the drinkability is up there for me.

Conclusion: I first had Michelob's Porter and Bavarian-Style Wheat, then their new all-malt Michelob Lager, and finally this. I'm impressed. It just goes to show, if a macro brewery wants to brew a quality beer, they surely can. They just often choose not to. I didn't originally like Michelob, when about all they sold was their adjunct-laden macro crap, but they're quickly earning respect from me. I will most definitely get this stuff again.

4.43/5  rDev +28%

Oh, Where do I start?..I didn't expect much from AB,but I was pleasantly surprised here!
Appearance: hazy carmel color, head left nice tight collar,leaving broken lace behind.
Nose: clovey esters, a bit fruity.
Taste: hop tingle up front, followed by delicious banana/clove flavors, and a bit spicy also.
Mouth: was slick, full and creamy.
Drinkability: is awesome!, very well done dunkel, I would not be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test between this and a good authentic German Dunkel Weisse, I was blown away at how good this was coming from Anhauser/busch, this WAAAY exceded my expectations!

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

12oz bottle

A- Pours a cloudy dark brownish amber color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is wheat and a good amount of clove and banana. I am pretty impressed with the aroma, I was expecting something a lot less enticing.

T- I am also pretty impressed with the taste. It is a lot more flavorful than a lot of the craft beer attempts by A-B.

M- The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- A good amount of flavor and easy drinking, what more can you ask for? Not too shabby, kudos to A-B for actually producing a pretty decent brew.

3.79/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Dark reddish brown. Has a decent tan rocky head that fades a little too fast.

Smell: It has the aroma of very ripe bananas especially when first poured. There is also some subtle cloves.

Taste: Taste of fruit and bananas. Cloves are still there but hard to find, just like they were in the smell.

I wasn't expecting much from this beer as every other Michelob product I've ever had has seemed to be a watered-down version of the style their meant to represent, But I'm glad to say that this is a very fine brew and it appears that Michelob is finally stepping up their game.

I poured this 'dark wheat ale' into my mug and found it to be a dark, murky copper color with a khaki head. The head formed a thick cap and retained very well. The aroma was earthy and robust, 'wet' wheat and hints of spice. The flavors were smoky, roasted and toasted malt, hints of cloves and a pleasant but subtle sweetness. Quite smooth and well balanced with a mild carbonation and medium body. Though the wheat character is a bit subdued I have to give this one credit. Michelob name aside, this is a very good Dunkelweizen and well worth picking up. Against all odds, A-B has produced a true-to-style, American version of a German beer competitive with craft brewers around the nation.

3.71/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours reddish brown with a small decent head and lace.
The aroma of cloves,malts and fruits.
The taste is sweet,cloves and some banana hints.Malts and fruit flavors follow.
The feel was smooth,some cream,medium body and light carbonation.

Notes: Not bad at all. Worth the try and decent. If this beer was a woman I would say yes to another night out. I would still come home though.

The first of the Michelob specalty beers that I've had that wasn't a twist off. I went three rotations before I got the opener. It pours out a nice hazy amber dark bronze with a foamy tan head. No seeing through this one. It has that banana and clove sweet aroma typical of the style. Flavor reflects the smell perfectly but also the faint flavor of prune or plum can be picked up on. This is the best beer Michelob makes, I believe. Creamy and a pleasure to drink. Good stuff for a great price. I'll definitely be getting more.

4.12/5  rDev +19.1%

Pours a mild, cloudy reddish-brown color with a thin head. Seems normal for the style.

Aroma is rich with hints of banana and clove. A bit of malt sweetness comes through.

Taste is smooth and sweet with the hints of clove and banana upfront. Seems spot on with the exception that it made me cough at first.

Mouthfeel is light with clove and banana lingering. Just a bit of sweetness too. Seems really nice for what it is. A little bit thin but has more flavor than their other offerings.

Drinkability is decent here. It takes a step of offering more flavor than their other offerings I've had. Not as dark as it could be but a very solid brew otherwise. I haven't had many dunkelweizens but I would buy this one again in a 6 pack if I had a choice.

3.41/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a dirty amber with minimal head. Second time I've had this beer, and both times I've thought "ugly." It's a bit too light for the style as well... or maybe it's just so dense with clouds that it looks light.
Sweeeet, sweet banana esters, clove, malt syrup, slight belgian spice. Smells like an inviting dunkel.
Flavor is not as sweet as the nose, and lends a distinct melba toast/cereal flavor with a minimal balance from the hops in the finish. Not very complex, mainly a bit too sweet and syrupy, and rather one dimensional. Perhaps just a hint of orange, but no clove or spiciness that the nose suggested.
Lightly carbonated, medium-full bodied, smooth, clean finish.
I'm glad it was free. The first time I had this I really liked it and was impressed. However, that was on an already fatigued palate. Actually dissecting the flavor now, I'm a bit disappointed. Still, it's one of the best beers I've had from our friends at AB.

After being a big fan of the Colorado-only Ascent 54, I grabbed this as soon as I saw it on the shelf. Here's hoping they didn't dumb it down!
Pours a cloudy dark brown color with a fluffy head that forms with a normal pour.
The banana/clove/wheat/dark bread smells and flavors are there in full-force. It's just as I remember it.
I downed a bottle of this just like I would one in Bavaria.
It looks the part, tastes the part, and drinks the part. Plus, the price was relatively low to boot. It's cheaper & fresher than the Hacker-Pschorr import that I adore.
In terms of quality, there's no difference between this and the original Ascent 54, or for that matter between this and one from Munich.
Don't let the Michelob name fool you, this is a legit dunkel-weiss that's on par with any other you'll find.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tumbler glass from a bottle.

A: Cloudy dark brown. Golden highlights around the edge of the glass. Creamy tan head taht disiaptes, but never goes away. Some sticky lacing.

S: Clove, sweet spices, hint of banana.

T: Swseet spice and clove on the front with a decent hop bite in the middle with a banana flavored finish. None of the flavors are too dominant. Pretty nice balance.

M: Creamy with decent carbonation bite in teh middle.

D: I normally take wiesse biers in ones or twos. The flavors end up being cloying after too many. Michelob (A-B) really surprised me with this one as it overacheived my expectations. Kudos to them and bring some more craft style beers to the marketplace.

3.88/5  rDev +12.1%

This poured a cloudy reddish/brown color with fluffy beige head that it retained for a while. Aroma was banana, clove, and spice. Flavor is pretty much the same. I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. Good mouthfeel and the drinkability is quite high. This was a nice effort from A-B.

4.14/5  rDev +19.7%

I too am taken aback by this beer; a good offering from AB!

Pours a reddish-brown with a big rocky, off white head.

Notes of bananas, spicy cloves, caramel, yeasty bread, and chocolate really come through in the aroma and flavour. Finishes with a nice dose of noble hops. This is certainly a well crafted wheat beer and I'm surprised that who know who bottled something this good... This is really tasty.

Medium to full bodied, silky smooth, well carbonated and overall; easy to drink.

Really, this is a good beer; and while not perfect, a pretty damn good example of the style! Hats off to AB... I never thought I'd say that.

4.42/5  rDev +27.7%

This beer scares me - because it was quite good. The fact of the matter is, A-B has the expertise and the resources to brew any style of beer that they want, and do it well. Now that they're branching out into some less traditional styles they could become a serious threat to the small volume craft brewers. I don't like that.
But I do like this beer, on it's own merits. The notes of clove and banana are dominant in both the aroma and taste. It was also a very easily drinkable beer. Plenty of taste without having a thick mouthfeel.
A very nice interpretation of this style. And that's saying a lot from me, because I'm not usually a wheat beer fan.

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

I knew that Michelob had the resources to make better beer than they were previously turning out and this is a good example of that effort since being unleashed by Bud/Inbev. It pours well into glassware and has the right amount of cloudiness to support the banana/vanilla/clove aromas that the style usually commands.
The first taste told me it was okay, but it didn't quite last the distance in flowing color that the appearance told me it would.
The dry aftertaste explained it needed either a little work or time to be compared to others, but that it was a good step forward.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A nice dark rusty color. Slightly hazed and clouded. A nice full tan head that laces somewhat well. A good balance of the carbonation keeps the brew smooth to the mouth.

The aroma and taste carry malts at first then notes the yeasty sour dough. The hop aids the tartness while spice of clove add flavor and banana adds a hint of sweetness.

Overall a nice easy Dunkel to drink from a surprise source. Good job A-B. I'll pick this up again.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got this from Mike at Poplar Wine & Spirits as a free sample!

Pours a hazy to cloudy rust brown colour with a solid 1 finger head of billowy foam.

The smell is nice with notes of clove, banana, some fruit, and some vanilla.

The taste has the clove & banana up front followed by light vanilla, and a slightly tart fruitiness that cuts through some of the spice nicely. A pretty good drinker that isn't overly complex but there are enough different flavours here to keep me interested.

It has a good medium mouthfeel and the carbonation just crawls into medium territory but not by much. A nice drop here and head retention is very good with some decent lacing.

Bottom line: I think this is a pretty good example of a Dunkelweizen and I could easily drink this again. Well done A-B.

3.65/5  rDev +5.5%

Cloudy rust colored ale with an initially large foam that slowly fades and leaves a thin layer that lasts well. Telltale Bavarian aromas, with hints of banana, clove, vanilla, and other fruits, maybe even some graham and cookie. Well balanced and well made, it even finishes really well. Authentic german dark wheat and a great effort from AB. It's not a complex ale, nor or the flavors as vibrant as I'd like, but it still a well brewed, high quality ale.

3.6/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

One of the best if not the best of A-B's efforts. Classic weisse aroma with the standard spicy fruitiness found in the Bavarian unfiltered wheat beers. Poured with a good long lasting head and plenty of lace. Nice dark hazy amber color. Flavor is same as aroma but with more malty. Definitely fresh! Very drinkable. One thing is its lack of depth. Very short finish. But pleasant.

3.32/5  rDev -4%

Pours out a cloudy root beer color with just a tad of white suds that stick to the rim of the glass.
Smell is charred wheat and caramel sugar with a hint of a banana in there.
Taste is pretty nice here for an AB brew. A quaffable mixture of water and dirty yeast with an aftertaste of wheat and clove.

Mouthfeel is clean enough here but the flavor leaves too fast for something good so I have to rate this one low here.
One could drink a bunch of these and not feel all full as with good dark wheats.

3.42/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured a cloudy meduim red-brown color with a voluminous pale sand-colored head of foam. Complex patterns of lacing inside the tall weisse glass as the head subsided. The note is full of fruity and spicy esthers - what you'd expect for the style with cloves, banana, and sweet malts dominating the nose. This beer smells ... dare I say ... like a German dark weisse bier, not an A-B clone of one. The palate fails to impress as much, but isn't bad. You get the sweetness from the dark malt right away with some phenolic characteristics coming through subtlely. A good flavor profile, but somehow a little disjointed. I don't get the wheat malt as strongly as I'd like here. The mouth feel is quite thin, save for the presence of quite a bit of residual yeast in the bottle. This helps, of course, but the beer still comes across just a little thinner than I'd like. Good carbonation and the finish is dry with a slight spiciness lingering in the mouth. All in all, a nice attempt at the style, but nothing groundbreaking here except for the fact that this beer is brewed my Anheuser-Busch. Could use a touch more wheat in the grain bill, perhaps, along with a slightly fuller mouth feel. Otherwise, not too shabby at all. The R&D department at A-B is doing some good stuff ... let's see if the die-hard craft beer world can accept these faux-crafts as legit.

4.04/5  rDev +16.8%

Recieved this bottle froma friend at AB in St. Louis. Not a test bottle, but, a production bottle.

A: Milky brown, tan puffy head. Nice lacing.

S: Banannas! Clove! Malt, and maybe dark fruit, or chocolate. So far, so good.

T: Same as above. WOW! A beer with real flavor from AB. Starts with a mix of sweet banannas and malt, then the cloves hit. Finished with a sweet caramel/chocolate hit. Nice.

M/D: Very drinkable. Clean finish, and not so complex as to blow you away, but enough to keep you interested. Among the best American "Dunkels" that I have had. Not complex like its German bretheren, but thats not a bad thing. I'm kinda glad it's not a clone.

Now that AB has spun "Michelob Brewing Company" off, and they have been making some drinkable, inexpensive, acessable beers, hopefully AB-IB (AnhueserBusch-INBEV) will see this, and not screw with it.

Nice job, guys!!

3.74/5  rDev +8.1%

12 oz bottle.
Pours a muddy brown, very hazy. The bottle actually has instructions how to pour (swirl the last 1/2 inch in the bottle, and pour in the yeast, basically).
First aroma is of bananas, then dominated by the clove and esters. Some sweet malt aroma. Pretty nice.
Taste is lightly sweet, with a mild banana flavor, followed by touches of chocolate, a hint of caramel and then finishes with clove. Sweetness stays light throughout. It's complex enough to be interesting, but not overpowering in any area.
Very smooth and surprisingly creamy mouthfeel.
This is a very drinkable, well done offering. I liked it, and after a positive experience with the Bavarian Style Wheat, I have to say it looks like AB is actually creating some solid beers in their Michelob lineup.

firstprev| 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next → last