Bud Light Golden Wheat

From:
Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
tbone1384 from Wyoming

Nov 06, 2012
jngrizzaffi from Texas

3.5/5  rDev +31.1%

I cannot review this beer anymore because it is no longer brewed. This was one of my favorites when I drank more macrobrews, but I am sure I would not rate it this high now. I will keep this rating, though, since I did like it at some point, and it got me into better beers.

Jul 13, 2013
nicholas2121 from Ohio

3.22/5  rDev +20.6%

I remember when this beer came out on the market. It was a non filtered wheat beer bud Anheuser Busch. It was a light brown in color. Not a bad taste. It was something different than the every day bud light or Budweiser. It is a shame they do not brew this beer anymore. This beer was an easy drinking drak light beer. I also remember you had to roll the bottle because beer had stuff floating in the bottom. Overall I gave this beer a 3

Feb 09, 2014
Suds from Missouri

3.2/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Honestly, this brew was a lot better than I expected. It's not much to behold...with a nearly non-existent head and moderately hazy golden color, and the aroma is lacking, but it's flavor, body, and overall impression are just fine. The smell is very mild, too much so, but there is a hint of wheat twang in the background. A little grass and a little fruit, but not enough to give this beer a reasonably good scent. The taste is a bit on the dry side, but there is a nice citric and wheat-chaff flavor. Lemon, orange peel, and fresh cut grass are dominant flavors. Wow...it's a Bud Light product that actually has a little taste. Appropriately light body that fits well with the flavor. All in all, I din't mind this one at all. It's nothing to be too excited about, but it was a nice surprise.

May 30, 2010
civilizedpsycho from Michigan

2.66/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured bottle into mug.

Appearance: Pours a golden color that is somewhat clear. Had a nice head and looked pretty decent for a wheat beer.

Smell: Has a faint wheat smell, but it's almost as if it is cut with something, leaving it more bland than other wheat beers.

Taste: Has a somewhat sweet and mild citrus flavor. As with the smell, though, it seems as if it's cut with something that leaves it relatively bland.

Mouthfeel: It's pretty thin and watery.

Drinkability: There are certainly better beers in this style, but it's not awful. I don't know if I would buy one again, but if it were at a bbq or something, I could have it again.

Side: I know this is a subject of controversy, but I am glad that AB is trying new things. With this beer and their American Ale, they seem to be taking notice that people's tastes are beginning to change. I like that they are putting new products like this out there to provide different options to the masses. That's my two cents.

Oct 19, 2009
Doyle from Minnesota

3.25/5  rDev +21.7%

Aug 05, 2012
yemenmocha from Arizona

2.86/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours hazy golden color with generous white head. Appearance wise, it's off to a good start. Nose is lacking complexity and seems to focus mostly on the orange aspect. On the palate the orange/coriander focus is dominant as well. It also has a bland, cereal-grainy macro lager flavor (even though it is an ale). Easy drinking, but lacking in genuine wheat beer character. At least Coors Blue Moon is actually close to the style that that faux-craft is trying to imitate.

Oct 21, 2009
tone77 from Pennsylvania

3.71/5  rDev +39%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some citrus. Taste is surprisingly good. Citrus and spices, very flavorfull. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and is highly drinkable. Overall I am pleasently surprised with this beer.

Nov 11, 2009
odbjs735 from New York

May 07, 2012
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

3.75/5  rDev +40.4%

An interesting move by A-B. And they've used the "Bud" name with it, so they must be pretty sure of it. They know that Blue Moon is doing well, so I guess this makes sense. But the name "Golden Wheat" doesn't imply that it's a kind of Belgian-style witbier - which I guess is brilliant too, in that people who might be scared to try anything "Belgian" will probably not be afraid of "wheat".

As to the flavor, well that's actually quite smart too - just the yeast character lends it flavor, so no extra malt (and the calories that come with is) is needed.

But how to judge this beer? As a Beglain-style witbier? No, I don't think so. If anything, it's almost a new beer style in itself. So, "herbed/spiced beer", I can agree with that. That's a pretty open category though.

Basically, it looks pretty good. Head retention and lacing could be better, but it is a light beer. And it smells OK. The taste is decent, keeping in mind that it is a light beer (118 calories); and there's nothing objectionable about it. It's got a good mouthfeel for a light beer; and although it's not great, it is pretty drinkable, and it's got enough character to it that you're not immediately bored with it. I'll drink Bud Light with Lime over Coors Light at the ballpark any day, so why not this? I've still got 4 more bottles to go out of my first 6-pack, so I'll add a little more to this later on.

Oct 18, 2009
twbeecher from Wisconsin

Nov 15, 2011
TurboBrew from Michigan

May 20, 2012
Beastdog75 from New Jersey

2.54/5  rDev -4.9%

I was originally surprised that AB would offer a version of Bud Light made with "golden wheat" and be flavored with coriander and citrus peels. It seemed to me that they were trying to make a version of Bud Light that would somewhat appeal to more craft beer drinkers. Then it occurred to me that with beers like Blue Moon straddling the line between craft and macro, Anheuser Busch was probably just trying to play their hand into getting into that type of market.

Bud Light Golden Wheat pours a nice golden color with a decent foam head that lasts for around 2 minutes. The aroma was light and originally I was not detected much, but the light aroma contained some generic wheat and citrus notes, and actually was a bit musty too. The beer felt thin on the palette, and had a high/moderate amount of carbonation. After taking a few sips, there was no mistaking that this was still indeed a light beer. The overall flavor was a generic grainy taste, with some light orange-like citrus notes. There is a reasonable amount of bitterness in the finish, but I wonder how much of that can be attributed to the coriander instead of the hops. The light bitterness and grainy flavors linger on in the aftertaste and there is no alcoholic warmth.

This is far more interesting than the beer it was spun-off from. It is a refreshing beer, and is good for the dog days of summer. If made into a full flavored beer I could see it working as a decent American hefeweizen or wit type brew, but I have to subtract points because it is very much dumbed down for the light beer drinking crowd.

Aug 07, 2011
Radome from Florida

2.52/5  rDev -5.6%

A - Golden color with an orange cast. Slightly cloudy, but not opaque. It reminds me of a slightly darker Hoegaarden in appearance, with just a little less cloudiness. The head is thin but lasting and is made up of tiny bubbles. Lots of carbonation activity is visible.

S - Not much aroma at all. I get some wheat and malt, but very faint. No hops apparent. I get a slightly vegetal or skunky smell on the edge of my perception.

T - Taste is not assertive, more like a watered down American wheat style. Initially there is weak-tasting malt and wheat, then some light fruitiness, but too faint to determine if it is from hops or yeast. In the end there is a grainy wheat flavor that provides what little aftertaste there is.

M - Light body, again seeming watered down. Despite the visible bubbles, there is very little CO2 "fizz". No alcohol burn, no hops bitterness.

D - Perhaps as expected, this is a well-made but bland and watery beer. No faults or off-flavors, but also no real flavor to speak of. Drinkable? Yes. An enjoyable beer experience that I would seek out again? Nope.

Jul 14, 2010
ck132286 from West Virginia

3.75/5  rDev +40.4%

May 13, 2012
Bitterbill from Wyoming

2.94/5  rDev +10.1%

Thanks to Mike at Poplar Wine & Spirits for the free sample.

A nice cloudy orange yellow colour with a +1 finger head of foam. This is a Bud Light variation? From the the appearance, I would have never guessed. It is a very nice looking brew.

The smell has some decent wheat notes along with some some bitter tones from hops? and *that* smell of Bud Light. Not a terribly bad nose...

The taste has a light presence of wheat, some slight sweetness, a little bit of fruity tartness and finishes with, first, some bitterness then drops off to a very neutral taste that is very regular Bud Light like. It was ok in the taste department until the finish.

Light bodied with medium carbonation. Head retention is good and it has a little bit of lacing.

Drinkability? This one bottle will do me fine and I won't be buying any when it shows up on the retail level but not bad for what it is.

Sep 04, 2009
xnicknj from Pennsylvania

Dec 05, 2011
SlaughteredWolf from Virginia

Sep 10, 2012
WVbeergeek from West Virginia

3.15/5  rDev +18%

First off not a bad looking brew we've got on our hands, I have to try everything from the big boys to either keep a healthy level of hate going or appreciate the fact that every once in awhile they can make some decent beer. Pours a beautifully hazed golden orange burst of sunshine with a nice thick off whtie head arising above the rim of my conical shaped glass. Unfiltered wheat beer with decent head retention with Bud Light in the name wow. Aroma is heavy on the citrus peel and takes it pretty easy with the coriander. A nice floral grassiness with the well rounded juicy citrus peel oils flowing, as well as some soft bready yeast notes and sharp citrus sweetness. Flavor is pretty balanced but heavy on the yeast nutty/bready flavor, minimal spices a bit of coriander, with citrus peel and grassy finish. Really not bad a bit of a Blue Moon light. I'm sure this will do okay out there. I can tell there's not actually orange juice in it like Blue Moon this has always been a turn off for me. Mouthfeel is light bodied with a bit more girth due to the yeast sediment, carbonation feels like a bud light some carbonated water with some balls. Drinkability overall is decent very refreshing not something I'd care to keep going back to but I'm glad I didn't pass it by.

Oct 02, 2009

3.5/5  rDev +31.1%

Oct 22, 2013
DrDoitchbig from Michigan

2.91/5  rDev +9%

Appearance: Poured a murky, light amber color with 2 fingers worth of bone white head that faded to a small cap after a couple sips. No lacing to speak of.

Smell: Very sweet like a Bud Light with a hint of citrus buried underneath the adjunct cereal grains.

Taste: The taste follows the smell. This beer has no business having "wheat" in it's name. It would have been more aptly named Bud Light Citrus. Because it just tastes like a BL Lime in which the lime has been replaced with an orange-esque citrus flavor. One positive here is the citrus finish seems to mask the traditional Anheuser-Busch metallic note. I will say the citrus is less artificial tasting than the lime as well. It's not that bad.

Mouthfeel: Thin and fizzy. Do I have to compare this to Bud Light again? I think we all get the idea.

Drinkability: This really isn't nearly as off-putting as a Bud Light. It is fairly refreshing. With a low alcohol by volume I could put quite a few back without incident.

Despite my numerous comparisons to Bud Light this really isn't that bad. It's is definitely better than the majority of A-B's offering. But I worry that BMC will have this and believe this is a true wheat beer. It could end up having the opposite effect of a gateway beer and inhibit beer exploration.

Nov 18, 2009
Shineonsolar

May 24, 2012
Andreji from Texas

3.55/5  rDev +33%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

So i tried this in absence of any other decent beers at a sushi place uptown.

And to be honest, i've seen bud offer worse things so this light wheat thing wasn't too bad a deal after all.

Pour is dark strawed with a small tan head. not too opaque but not entirely translucent either.

Smell is perhaps rather lame and softish, some grainy wheaty feel but it isn't overwhelming (something i'd like in my wheat beers).

Taste is fairly watery but not too shabby. some wheaty mouldy feel for the most part, rather sweet, and a very soft bitter end.

Well carbonated and definetly light bodied. in all, not bad, but definetly a one night stand here.

Mar 17, 2010