Bud Light Golden Wheat | Anheuser-Busch

anheuser-busch.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Added by JohnGalt1 on 07-28-2009

1.76/5  rDev -37.6%

when I first heard of this beer I was skeptical, but I said what the hay and bought a six pack. upon first taste when it first struck my tounge I thought it tasted bit like a blue moon light. Quickly though the flavor diminished leaving a strange flavor in my mouth. I muscled down about 3 and half but I coulden't do it. I am not a man who wastes a beer or even not finish a six pack but the weak body and very little if not any smell or flavor was just terrible. Nice try bud lite but I see this beer to popular only with women or people who just dont know or drink good beer.

2.68/5  rDev -5%

A: A hazy organge with a thin white head

S: There is a huge orange peel aroma and maybe a little bit of a bready wheat smell. The orange is a little bit overpowering.

T: The orange peel flavor is absurdly strong....that is pretty much all I can taste. All the other flavors are killed by the orange. Not necessarily a bad flavor though. I take that back, as it warms up, there is some really awful flavors, kind of sweet, skunky and really off....so drink it quick!

M: It has an ok mouthfeel. Carbonation adds a nice feels to it....a little spice, but it's on the watery side.

D: The flavor is all one dimensional, but it might be a little better than a regular bud light on a hot day as long as you are really thirsty and drink it quickly.

3.23/5  rDev +14.5%

A-Hazy golden color with a nice white head.

S-coriander, orange, typical nose for a wheat style beer. Nothing overwhelming however.

T- The first sip impressed me, it had a nutty note with a touch of coriander. It has a good flavor but nothing overpowering. It is essentially what the name says, Bud light, but a wheat version.

M-Carbonated and thin.

D-Highly drinkable given the smoothness, flavor, and low alcohol content.

Overall, I think Anheuser-Busch should be given some credit for this product. Its nothing amazing, but was anyone expecting it to be? I doubt it. I think it serves its purpose pretty well, to introduce macro drinkers to a more micro style.

2.82/5  rDev 0%

It's bud light with some extra spice thrown in and some coloring. This said, I like bud light. This beer is refreshing and has an interesting aftertaste going on with the spices. A bit on the fruity side and sort of sweet, but hey in this way its actually rather good! I might just buy this one agian...

2.66/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured bottle into mug.

Appearance: Pours a golden color that is somewhat clear. Had a nice head and looked pretty decent for a wheat beer.

Smell: Has a faint wheat smell, but it's almost as if it is cut with something, leaving it more bland than other wheat beers.

Taste: Has a somewhat sweet and mild citrus flavor. As with the smell, though, it seems as if it's cut with something that leaves it relatively bland.

Mouthfeel: It's pretty thin and watery.

Drinkability: There are certainly better beers in this style, but it's not awful. I don't know if I would buy one again, but if it were at a bbq or something, I could have it again.

Side: I know this is a subject of controversy, but I am glad that AB is trying new things. With this beer and their American Ale, they seem to be taking notice that people's tastes are beginning to change. I like that they are putting new products like this out there to provide different options to the masses. That's my two cents.

3.22/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into a pint

A - Light golden color. Very hazy, unfiltered, lots of suspended yeast. Very carbonated - bubbling like crazy plus a strong 2mm white head formation.

S - Very light nose - a light orange peel scent is barely perceptible, while some yeast notes are even lighter.

T - Starts off with a light malt sweetness. No wheat notes. Bitterness almost zero. Hopping non-existent. Finished with a stronger orange peel note, fruity. Spicy Belgian yeast notes are tied to some coriander notes as well.

M - Thin bodied - carbonation bite is strong however. Leaves behind a light clinging sugar notes.

D - Easily drinkable. ABV is well within session range. Very refreshing.

An interesting choice to release this beer in the fall, because it just doesn't fit the season. I would have no problem adding this as a cheap beer in a summer rotation.

3.43/5  rDev +21.6%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, BL Golden Wheat is a slightly hazy yellow-golden color with a thin, bubbly yellow-white head. I was very surprised that this is not a filtered wheat beer and there was a small amount of yeast sediment left in the bottom of the bottle. Right off the bat, coriander is perceivable and maybe... maybe just a faint whiff of wheat, but that's about it. The taste is like that of a watered down Blue Moon - coriander, a little touch of citrus and a hint of wheat. Nothing impressive but non-offensive too. Mouthfeel is light (duh) with a slightly reserved carbonation compared to regular bud light. Drinkability of this one is pretty high due to the nature of the beast. Overall I think this was an excellent marketing scheme by AB in that they can take the mass marketability of bud light and combine it with a semi "craft" beer like blue moon to make millions. If I went to a hole in the wall bar that only had BMC beers, I might actually ask for one of these. Again, not impressive but it fills its niche.

3.75/5  rDev +33%

An interesting move by A-B. And they've used the "Bud" name with it, so they must be pretty sure of it. They know that Blue Moon is doing well, so I guess this makes sense. But the name "Golden Wheat" doesn't imply that it's a kind of Belgian-style witbier - which I guess is brilliant too, in that people who might be scared to try anything "Belgian" will probably not be afraid of "wheat".

As to the flavor, well that's actually quite smart too - just the yeast character lends it flavor, so no extra malt (and the calories that come with is) is needed.

But how to judge this beer? As a Beglain-style witbier? No, I don't think so. If anything, it's almost a new beer style in itself. So, "herbed/spiced beer", I can agree with that. That's a pretty open category though.

Basically, it looks pretty good. Head retention and lacing could be better, but it is a light beer. And it smells OK. The taste is decent, keeping in mind that it is a light beer (118 calories); and there's nothing objectionable about it. It's got a good mouthfeel for a light beer; and although it's not great, it is pretty drinkable, and it's got enough character to it that you're not immediately bored with it. I'll drink Bud Light with Lime over Coors Light at the ballpark any day, so why not this? I've still got 4 more bottles to go out of my first 6-pack, so I'll add a little more to this later on.

2.88/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours clouded golden with a nice white head that seems as if it might hold up, but collapses to a thin cover. Not much lacing sticks.

The smell is of wheat tang with very mild coriande and orange peel.

Well, it's an attempt at a light wheat that has some wit character... Wheat with hint of orange and coriander. It has a "Bud Light" character in the taste, esp. in the finish.

It is light-bodied. Not quite as fizzy as a typical light beer.

Inoffensive enough to try, but wouldn't get again. A Bud Light with some wheat and light spicing, as expected.

2.75/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This should be interesting...

A: Cloudy golden color with very little head. I can see the carbonation steaming to the top, but it doesn't look like too much.

S: A lot of wheat is prominent here, along with some subtle hops and maybe just a hint of citrus? The smell isn't really anything special, but it's better than regular bud light!

T: I was pleasantly surprised here. Once again it's nothing special, but for a beer whose name starts with "Bud" it's not bad. Lots of wheat in the taste, just like the nose. Also some other grains and just a hint of sweetness. I was just glad that it had any sort of "reviewable" taste. Definitely a step up from regular Bud Light.

M: Not bad. It's fairly watery, as you would expect from a macro light beer, but the big wheat flavor also adds some decent texture. The wheat flavor also balanced out nicely with the amount of carbonation.

D: I have to say it went down pretty easy. This is definitely a step or two above most of the normal cheap "light beers" out there. I could drink more than one and not be too upset about it. The next time I have to buy some cheap beer from a gas station I might seek this out.

2.9/5  rDev +2.8%

I had to get a bottle of this so I could see why it was so terrible. I kid! Here comes a review with the open-est mind I can muster...

Looks to be an orange, apricot color with a light, chilly haze that makes me try to wipe condensation off my pint that isn't there. The head is an irregular film of tiny bubbles, sustained by a fleet of little bubbles rushing up in columns from the bottom.

Smell is non-existent! After a few sniffs, I began to wonder if I had a head cold. Upon further review and a little beer on/up my nose, I detect musky old basement and corn chips mixed with ambiguous citrus zest and cheap triple sec. Even if this was prominent, it would still be repulsive.

The flavor definitely reminds me of bud, with old corn chips and mold, but this has a more prominent slick graininess, that reminds me a bit of a hefe. Sadly, the "spices" taste very artificial, like cheap, fake, orange candy and orange zest followed by a hint of... maybe nutmeg. It's some indistinct spice (that probably isn't real).

Feels bold and silky with a gentle swarm of carbonation that is really quite well done. But, this leaves an odd film in my mouth.

This isn't really too bad and definitely a step up from Bud light regular. I don't think I'll ever try this again, but it was worth the experience.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

This beer has to be designed for female drinkers in areas where Busch Lt and PBR are common in the fridge. So it may sell.
I had it after a long day of work and was looking forward to trying a new beer - even a Bud Light product. I was genuinely surprised that I could not finish the bottle. Bud Light itself has a better finish. Although it does have a soft, respectable aroma, the carbonation makes the "mouthfeel" a joke, and at the end it's pure Natural Light. Maybe it has its place at a summer fraternity bash, too.

2.63/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pilsner glass.

Appearance: Actually doesn't look half bad. Pours a hazy golden color with lots of carbonation bubbles. The large fizzy head dissipates quickly leaving no lacing.

Smell: Smells wheaty with slight hints of spices and citrus fruits.

Taste: A little flat on taste. This is definitely a light beer. However, it does have some semblance of wheatiness. A very faint taste of citrus fruit comes out as well.

Mouthfeel: Thin, watery, and WAY too over-carbonated.

Drinkability: Better than I expected, but still nothing great. Props to AB for trying but this is still a miss. Maybe if they made just a "Golden Wheat" and not a "Bud Light Golden Wheat," it would come out better.

4.1/5  rDev +45.4%

bought for 5.99 cant go wrong new here we go
poured into standard pint glass
A: pours copper orange hazy hugh with a fasti dissipating large bubbly head
S: lots or corriander and orange come through maybe little bit of wheat malt but not much not bad smell though
T: not bad stats off little bit of orange than strong corriander taste and finishes like budlight with a lingering wheaty taste not bad for A.B. though
M: besides the taste the mouthfeel is the same as regular budlight very watery and carbinated
D: this is good for the macro and unique cause i can pound alot of these and not get full and thats why im going to get these instead of regular budlight

3.28/5  rDev +16.3%

Ah, so the big boys want to try again in regards to craft? Should be something to laugh at.

Pours a light-amber golden hue with a one-finger head into my fluted glass. Carbonation appears mild.

Aroma is full of a light hint of coriander and wheat upfront. Not a bad way to start. There's also a hint of adjunct as well but not as pervasive as I thought it would be.

Taste starts out with a hint of clove, coriander and wheat but it gets kind of odd in the middle with that adjunct-y Bud Light feel to it. It doesn't overpower though but it's mildly sweet.

Mouthfeel is another story. It wants to be Bud Light but the wheat is just barely enough to stop it from being Bud Light. It offers a bit more flavor but not by much.

Not horrible but I feel it's too light-bodied and there are better examples out there with coriander and wheat. Hopefully, someone who tries this will be interested in other wheat beers.

3.24/5  rDev +14.9%

A - Pours a slightly hazy golden orange with a one finger off-white head that dissipated after a couple of minutes. When I initially poured it I was a bit set back, thinking "is this really a Budweiser product?" Looks pretty decent.

S - Smells of nectarine more than orange to me. Wheat aromas as well. Not very aromatic.

T - Not bad for a Budweiser product really. Tastes like a watered down Blue Moon with less wheat flavor. Wheat and citrus, it initially tastes very good. I can definitely taste the coriander here as well. Has a very Bud Light aftertaste however, which isn't that great.

M - Watery, but the appropriate amount of carbonation. Not overcarbonated like Bud Light.

D - Pretty good session beer. Very light and crisp, would make a good summer brew.

My dad likes this and he isn't into the whole craft beer thing like I am. He is a big fan of Blue Moon. Maybe slowly with more offerings like this from the bigger companies he will begin liking more micro styles.

I was curious when I saw commercials for this beer and while grocery shopping today I picked up a 6 pack. I didn't really have any expectations so I was sort of surprised. It's not great but it is decent for an AB product and it's nice to see a macro branch out and get their masses to follow something new. It poured a cloudy orange with about an inch of white foam that faded quickly. The nose was a citrusy one, not overwhelming but definitely there. The taste was the same, a citus hint but with a bud light after taste. Like I said, it's not great but it'll get the job done, could definitely see pounding quite a few of these.

3.1/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Found this in the singles section at HEB and figured, why the hell not?

A - Pours a cloudy golden copper with a modest off-white head that dissipates slowly into a thin layer of foam, leaving a small amount of lacing.

S - Lots of orange and coriander. Plenty of earthy wheat aromas in there as well. And are those hop notes (citrus) I'm smelling? In a product labeled Bud Lite??? Weird, but I'm not complaining.

T - Some grainy sweetness dominates up front with subdued notes of citrus and spice coming through in the finish. Overall, it's a bit of a lackluster in the flavor department.

M - Definitely on the light side. Finishes dry and clean.

D - This beer is exactly what A-B was going for, a light wheat beer. That said, it wasn't as disappointing as I thought it would be. The flavors are subtle, but they're there. There are better wheats out there for your money, but this one certainly isn't bad. This would be a great beer to drink on a hot summer day, which makes me wonder why they waited until Fall to release it.

2.98/5  rDev +5.7%

well, dont judge a book buy its cover is something i try to have with beers, but this was a challenge, to hear bud light and wheat together is an oddity. its appearance is actually pretty good, has a nice orange cloudiness to it with a decently sized head, aroma is also pretty good, has a nice citrus aroma to it. taste though is not as impressive as the look and smell, it is better than budlight, but its not as good as 95% of other wheat beers, but compared to a standard bud light its lightyears ahead. if it gets people to try other beers than i guess AB succeeded

1.7/5  rDev -39.7%

Pours out like dirty water. Not really a single yellow color but more like a mixture of all colors that make a not so appealing looking beer. No lacing and very little suds.
Smell is not too bad. Some spice and wheat in there but it's very weak.
Taste is yuchk. Jesus, they bottle dirty water and sell it to saps who think this is cool drinking a so called "Wheat Beer".
Mouthfeel is very weak and almost non-existant.
Drinkability is almost nothing here. Terrible attempt from the Big Bud Corp.

2.33/5  rDev -17.4%

Usually I do a thorough review of each beer I drink (appearance, smell, taste, etc.) but this beer isn't quite worthy of that honor. This is clearly Anheuser Busch's attempt at stealing some of the market share away from Blue Moon drinkers. Sadly, or in my case happily, it doesn't really come close which is pretty pathetic because Blue Moon isn't that good of a beer. It has the appearance and similar smell of a wheat beer but once you taste it the beer falls flat on its face. It is basically a tremendously watered down version of Blue Moon. The only reason this beer has the Bud Light label is because people will buy it out of curiosity due to name recognition. If it was called anything else people would not purchase it and Anheuser Busch could add to their repertoire of fantastically bad attempts of micro-brewed styled beers. With that said I would not recommend this beer to anybody.

3.2/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours a bright orange golden color with a little haze. Full frothy heads diminished quickly, no lacing. Smell is very faint of bread and citrus with hints of pepper. Flavor is a little more assertive than scent, but still very mild blend of grains, wheat and orangy citrus. Mouthfeel is bright, clean, clear and crisp. Overall i was suprised how inoffensive this was. It did not taste great, but just had a little something extra that keep it clean and fresh. Quite possibly targeted at a Blue Moon Light craving audience.

2.16/5  rDev -23.4%

I caved in and bought a single after hearing my boss go on and on about how good this was. Not being a BMC fan I was more than hesitant. When others mentioned they liked it as well I began to think that even if it was drinkable I didn't want to like it. Is that the beginning of beer snobbery?

Anywho, I poured the 12 oz bottle into my favorite hefeweizen glass and was initially impressed by the cloudy appearance and the substantial head. It actually looked (somewhat) like a wheat beer. The excitement ended once I brought it to my nose. Faint, very faint, hints of citrus and wheat. The taste is even more blurred; definitely a BL off-shoot. Watered-down, uneven, and not competitive with similar offerings.

Maybe non-craft drinkers can appreciate this as a segue to bigger and better beers. If that's the case, more power to Bud Light. Good luck.

2.94/5  rDev +4.3%

found no bottled on date which i thought was odd

pours hazy golden orange with a 2 finger head that left some lacing

smell might be faint but i can pick up the wheat and citrus

taste starts of good - first hit with the wheat and citrus (which i found a little too artificial) the bad thing about this brew is the aftertaste which is all bud light

mouthfeel is good with a nice light body and not overly carbonated like too many light macros

drinkability is ok i had no problems downing a few while watching the game today but not something i will ever buy again

3.77/5  rDev +33.7%

Well, not much I can say about this new Bud Light Golden Wheat just that it is a lighter knock-off of Michelob's Shock Top...
Same aroma of coriander/citrus with a slight less dense appearance...
Poured in a beer glass with one finger head that dissipated rather quickly...
Taste did not dissapoint but if you really care for the full flavor, stick with Blue Moon or Shock Top...
I see myself drinking this brew from time to time if I am on a budget... Good job Bud Light

Bud Light Golden Wheat from Anheuser-Busch