Budweiser Select 55 | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Light Lager

Select 55 is brewed with specialty malts and a blend of imported and domestic hopping. Select 55 has a light golden color and offers aroma notes of toasted malt and subtle hopping.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 151 | Ratings: 599
4.76/5  rDev +213.2%

I spend long days on the beach and this has everything I need/want (refreshing with good beer flavor) and nothing I don’t (high calories and alcohol).
Awesome beer!
Beer snobs will be haters...
Let them hate!

look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Here's a review of a beer had years ago. Tough to keep track of where your reviews went with so many online beer places these days (and difficult entities that overmod). Pours a similar color to that which you see in the clear bottle. Not a lot of grain here, gotta count those calories. Concentrated urine color, thin head eviscerates itself in the 1/8" range. Barely discernable grain qualities in the nose. Lager yeast not there.

Taste is a highly carbonated light grain meets mineral water qualities. They didn't go hard, or even a below average amount with the hops. I'm sure they used some super high alpha acid no flavor kind. There is no there there. There aren't "off flavors" per se, but there is definitely a lacking of flavor. 2.4% almost makes you wonder 'what's the point'?

Nonetheless, the beer does seem to accomplish what it is going for. Ugh this is one of those double digit positive rate deviations for a beer I don't care for. Oh well.

2.21/5  rDev +45.4%

this is pretty bad, but from an ice cold can, i prefer it to many of its peers in the same segment. its not metallic, its not sweet, its not overly cheap tasting to be honest, and its also not nothing, which counts for me, id rather have a little adjuncty character and a slightly appreciable lager yeast element than no flavor at all, and thats what we have here. drink it fast, because it warms up like garbage, but there are definitely worse beers than this. its not even that watery for how light it is, the high carbonation helps with that. i wouldnt make a day of it, but one in isolation is fine. it does start to taste like the can a little bit towards the bottom, and there is a decided absence of hops, even for the style, but i really cant hate on this too hard. one thing i like about it is that it does sort of taste like a classic bud, albeit a little lesser version, but you can tell its from the same family of lagers, and i find that appealing for some reason as i sip on this. more of a pounder than anything, not as bad as everyone says...

2.21/5  rDev +45.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Bought as a single at Old Chicago.

Pours a pale gold, small head of foam.

Smells light..grain, weird malt and hop profile, thank goodness it's light?

Taste offers no positive surprises. Taste is light and rather inoffensive. Grainy, hint of a hint of bitterness. Better than Michelob Ultra...

2.07/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 3

I love a good full flavored full bodied beer. That being said, I cannot drink like a 21 year old anymore and have some health issues to boot. Bottom line here is that this beer won't kill me. It's low alcohol content allows me to cut my alcohol intake by more than 50%. For what it is, Bud 55 looks, smells and tastes just enough like beer to make it work for me. Am I happy about it? No.

3.45/5  rDev +127%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce can into lager glass, best before 8/22/2018. Pours crystal clear medium golden yellow color with a small fairly dense and fluffy white head with decent retention, that reduces to a ring of lace that lingers. Light spotty lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Good appearance. Aromas of cracker, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light caramel, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with pale malt and light earthy hop notes; with solid strength. Taste of cracker, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light caramel, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Light-moderate herbal, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of cracker, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light caramel, and herbal/grassy earthiness for a short bit. Solid robustness of pale malt and light earthy hop flavors; with a nice malt/bitterness balance; and zero cloying/astringent flavors after the finish. Very crisp/clean finishing. Perfectly clean on lager flavors, with zero fruity/yeast notes. Medium carbonation and very light body; with a very smooth and fairly bready/grainy/sticky mouthfeel that is okay. Very thin/watery, but not too bland of a finish. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 2.4%. Overall this is a very solid light lager. All around solid robustness of pale malt and light earthy hop flavors; very smooth, crisp, clean, and refreshing to drink. Pretty impressive for an ultra light beer; all things considered. No adjuncts as with the regular version. Clean pale malts and solid earthy hop presence for the style. An enjoyable an well made offering.

4.77/5  rDev +213.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer if you're truly looking for a very light beer. For the calories and alcohol content of this beer, it is pretty good. Perfect for a long day out in the sun where you don't want to be dehydrated after two beers.

1.62/5  rDev +6.6%

Helluva review right beneath mine - go read that one instead. This is less a beer and more a beer substitute - meaning you’re drinking this for reasons other than wanting a beer.

My buddy summed it up and set my expectations accordingly - it’s beer-flavored seltzer water of which you can drink an entire six pack and land on the same caloric intake as a can of Heady.

Decent palate-cleanser if you’re not feeling like water for whatever reason. Surprisingly nice toasted malt aroma. Cereal, cardboard and wimpy hops. Drinks like seltzer water the rest of the way.

3.25/5  rDev +113.8%

I just started drinking this beer and love it. It is perfect for my demographic, which is 40+ years old that likes to drink multiple beers a day and has a sedentary desk job. If I kept drinking the hi call, hi alcohol beers for another decade it would probably leed to one less customer 6ft under the ground. I feel like this is helping me get a bit of my edge back and keeping with an active life. I did a taste test of 7 different super light beers at a time. My wife wasn't so thrilled to see me sitting at the table with 7 open beers in front of me, but I talked her into the tasting. She did not like the bud55 so much, but preferred mic ultra which is about double the call and alcohol. I think I liked but55 the best. It is a bit like seltzer water with a mild beer flavoring. We also did mil64, becks64, amber ultra, ultra, yuengling light and bud platinum. It was amazing how much sweeter the higher alcohol and call beers tasted compared to bud55. But all things are relative in life, where those probably taste watery compared to some of the heavy craft beers. After that comparison I can see why diabetics care so much about the low carb beers.

If you are having a single beer a week, this beer isn't for you. But if your getting a bit older, enjoy beer a lot, are starting to not be able to see the seat belt under your gut, and want to stay active in the game of life, then you may want to give this one a try. My new favorite.

4.76/5  rDev +213.2%

This isn't standard or strong beer, so most regular beer drinkers can't be expected to like it. I usually drink wine, and I like the light, clean taste; the fizz; the light body; and the low alcohol. And I love that it's the lowest-calorie beer I can find AND it's not hard to find, as Miller 64 is. It's a great thirst-quencher for summer. You can have more of them. What's not to like?

1.11/5  rDev -27%

While my rating on this beer is very low my review will be a little different. The look, smell, taste, and feel are all very unimpressive. All that being said this isn't a beer that is trying to look like anything spectacular or taste spectacular either, this is a low calorie low carb beer. Is it watery and almost completely flavorless? Yes it is for sure but for me it is perfect for going out or having a big get together. I really love stouts Founders Breakfast stout is my favorite beer I've had, but the calories in that beer is around like 240 so this is a lot easier on the gut. Overall this beer is watery and pretty flavorless but for what this is it is perfect and while I don't 100% enjoy it, I drink it for the lower calories and carbs and reach for a stout only once in a while now.

2.35/5  rDev +54.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Very light yellow color with quickly disappearing white cap.

Light scent of grain with the barest hint of malt.

It really taste more of carbonation though that's probably more of an impression than a taste. Slight grain flavor.

Texture is of heavy carbonation.

I offered this to another for a second opinion and was told it taste like seltzer water. It does have a bit of grain and malt but you really have to search for them. It's a 55 calorie brew for those who want the minimum number of calories.

1.94/5  rDev +27.6%

Sampled last weekend on 3/4/16. Paid $1.00 for this brew I never had that was found in the discount bin. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a vintage "BUDWEISER" thumb-print goblet glass.

Look of OK but the aroma and taste wasn't nothing to get excited about by any means. Guess if you are trying to count calories or whatever this brew might be for you. If you are looking for any taste instead of a watered-down light brew then this isn't for you either. Overall, a one time thing for me and now I know why it was in the mark-down discount bin.

1.31/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Good water has more body, character and flavor. What's the point? Enough said but BeerAdvocate requires more so.... Pours a clear extra pale straw producing 2 fingers of white, shortlived, foamy head that leaves a thin collar ring & flecks of lacing. Aroma is barely detectable grains, very faint yeast & lemony hints. Taste is slight adjunct grain & a low level of lemon & grass mixed with an assortment of watery off flavors. Finishes weak and thin with almost no aftertaste. Mouthfeel is ephemeral bodied with moderate carbonation, some peppery bite at the front of the tongue and not much else. My opening statement was enough review without these comments.

1.51/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

55 calories? I thought it tasted like 50, tops. It is better than Mich Ultra, but so is the water you would squeeze out of a wet cardboard box that a cat pissed in.

2.46/5  rDev +61.8%

Fairly dark orange appearance; looks like cider. Good sized white head, slightly wispy, with poor retention; quickly fades to mere residue and glass lining.

Muted corn aroma with herbal, floral hop notes. Not overly malty and sweet.

Flavor is as watery and thin as the body. However, it's not without a decent bite to it. Light caramel grains, a little sweet - but again, not as bad in this respect as its kin - and a crisp hoppiness fighting to be noticed.

Thin body, lively in a seltzer water kind of way, with an oily, lingering, cloying finish. Altogether leans toward unpleasant.

Simply put, I've had worse beers, even masquerading as craft. This is overall not that terrible, and is far more drinkable than its AAL brethren - even those made by the same company. The extremely low ABV is, for some, a selling point; I would prefer more body and take the caloric hit.

Still, as with all AALs: drink it cold. Opening up is not something you want from this brew.

1.54/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Look - Drank straight from the can so I don't know.

Smell - brings me back to the first time I had regular Bud select. Smells like corn flake cereal and nothing more.

Taste - It would be like taking stale corn flakes and putting them in a bowl of water and letting it sit over night before consuming.

Feel - Light bodied, low carbonation. Watery.

Overall - As IGN said, " Too much water ".

Had this one at a minor league hockey game. Was basically water. If someone gave me a blind taste test with this and a bottle of water I would say this was the water 4 out of 10 times.

1.06/5  rDev -30.3%

Really to call this beer is an insult to beer. Quite honestly even given the lousy beer Budweiser produces these days, this one takes the cake. This is the most watered down beer I have ever tasted. I find myself adding things to it just to give it a taste. I would write about the taste if it had one. To give this a review on flavor would be like giving a review on the taste of water. True it only has 55 calories, and it tastes like it. I would just as soon not drink than drink this stuff. Really.

1.68/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a surprising dark copper color, but no head whatsoever. Smells like pretty much all other adjunct lagers. Goes down real smooth, only because there is no flavor or hops, a tad dry though. If you want to drink a lot of beer with no taste this is the beer for you.

1.5/5  rDev -1.3%

It pretty much tastes like water but I suppose that is what you get with a 55 calorie beer. It is a good bargain for people that like the taste of beer.

1.78/5  rDev +17.1%

Bud 55 is basically the club soda of beers. It's not something I ever plan on drinking again, unless it's free, but then again if I'm at a party that's serving 55, there's probably a better choice available (and if there's not, I'm at the wrong party).

Anyways there's almost no head to this, perhaps a small ring that vaporizes in a blink; totally crystal clear, go ahead and read a novel through it.

Smell is of dextrins, stale cornbread, and some mildew hay.

Flavor is pretty much cornbread forward, with some husks, a suggestion of an overripe cherry tomato, and a finish of club soda.

Mouthfeel - Very fizzy and feels like soda.

Overall, this beer must be the cheapest beer to make in the country - I can't imagine how much water they use to dilute the actual wort before it goes into the fermenter. I don't think I'd even dare try it because if I tried brewing this at home and came up with something like this, I'd declare it a failure (as in, not beer, but a watery malt mess) and throw it out. I'm not the type of person to advocate gouging calories, but if you're on a diet, save up for that good beer that will satisfy you. There is quite literally no legitimate excuse or occasion for this beer to fit into. If you enjoy this beer, you don't enjoy beer.

1.5/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

While I am still questing to knock out as many of the Beers of Fame as I possibly can, it is also interesting to review the Bottom of the Barrel beers, the anti-Beers of Fame. These are some the most awful beers known to mankind. I will not put as much effort into these reviews as I would a legitimate brew, but it is still fun nonetheless.

This beer pours the color of watered down urine. Side poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Has a nasty, soapy head that goes from huge to nonexistent very quickly. Smells like metal shavings. Tastes like it looks, I wish it tasted like it smelled. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated, almost nonexistent. Overall, a terrible attempt at making beer drinking a healthy past time. Just like turkey bacon sucks, so does this beer.

Okay, I enjoy a light beer from time to time as well, but if you are looking to get your beer calories as close to water as possible, just drink water. This beer is pointless, half the calories, half the alcohol, and less than half the flavor.

Would Drink Again: No
Would Purchase Again: No

This tastes like some sort of slightly alcoholic, grainy water. It is the most tasteless beer I have ever encountered. If you want to avoid carbs and calories, and also like lower alcohol levels, and also do not care AT ALL about taste, than this is your beer. If you care about taste, this is simply not on the table.

Budweiser Select 55 from Anheuser-Busch