Budweiser Select 55 | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Light Lager

Select 55 is brewed with specialty malts and a blend of imported and domestic hopping. Select 55 has a light golden color and offers aroma notes of toasted malt and subtle hopping.

Added by jsh420 on 09-09-2009

View: Beers
4.14/5  rDev +155.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

1.84/5  rDev +13.6%

1.99/5  rDev +22.8%

2.07/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 3

I love a good full flavored full bodied beer. That being said, I cannot drink like a 21 year old anymore and have some health issues to boot. Bottom line here is that this beer won't kill me. It's low alcohol content allows me to cut my alcohol intake by more than 50%. For what it is, Bud 55 looks, smells and tastes just enough like beer to make it work for me. Am I happy about it? No.

2.39/5  rDev +47.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

1.5/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

3.45/5  rDev +113%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce can into lager glass, best before 8/22/2018. Pours crystal clear medium golden yellow color with a small fairly dense and fluffy white head with decent retention, that reduces to a ring of lace that lingers. Light spotty lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Good appearance. Aromas of cracker, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light caramel, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with pale malt and light earthy hop notes; with solid strength. Taste of cracker, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light caramel, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Light-moderate herbal, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of cracker, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light caramel, and herbal/grassy earthiness for a short bit. Solid robustness of pale malt and light earthy hop flavors; with a nice malt/bitterness balance; and zero cloying/astringent flavors after the finish. Very crisp/clean finishing. Perfectly clean on lager flavors, with zero fruity/yeast notes. Medium carbonation and very light body; with a very smooth and fairly bready/grainy/sticky mouthfeel that is okay. Very thin/watery, but not too bland of a finish. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 2.4%. Overall this is a very solid light lager. All around solid robustness of pale malt and light earthy hop flavors; very smooth, crisp, clean, and refreshing to drink. Pretty impressive for an ultra light beer; all things considered. No adjuncts as with the regular version. Clean pale malts and solid earthy hop presence for the style. An enjoyable an well made offering.

4.77/5  rDev +194.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer if you're truly looking for a very light beer. For the calories and alcohol content of this beer, it is pretty good. Perfect for a long day out in the sun where you don't want to be dehydrated after two beers.

2.1/5  rDev +29.6%

Abv says it all. I will never put this upon my tongue again.

2.4/5  rDev +48.1%

1.62/5  rDev 0%

Helluva review right beneath mine - go read that one instead. This is less a beer and more a beer substitute - meaning you’re drinking this for reasons other than wanting a beer.

My buddy summed it up and set my expectations accordingly - it’s beer-flavored seltzer water of which you can drink an entire six pack and land on the same caloric intake as a can of Heady.

Decent palate-cleanser if you’re not feeling like water for whatever reason. Surprisingly nice toasted malt aroma. Cereal, cardboard and wimpy hops. Drinks like seltzer water the rest of the way.

3.25/5  rDev +100.6%

I just started drinking this beer and love it. It is perfect for my demographic, which is 40+ years old that likes to drink multiple beers a day and has a sedentary desk job. If I kept drinking the hi call, hi alcohol beers for another decade it would probably leed to one less customer 6ft under the ground. I feel like this is helping me get a bit of my edge back and keeping with an active life. I did a taste test of 7 different super light beers at a time. My wife wasn't so thrilled to see me sitting at the table with 7 open beers in front of me, but I talked her into the tasting. She did not like the bud55 so much, but preferred mic ultra which is about double the call and alcohol. I think I liked but55 the best. It is a bit like seltzer water with a mild beer flavoring. We also did mil64, becks64, amber ultra, ultra, yuengling light and bud platinum. It was amazing how much sweeter the higher alcohol and call beers tasted compared to bud55. But all things are relative in life, where those probably taste watery compared to some of the heavy craft beers. After that comparison I can see why diabetics care so much about the low carb beers.

If you are having a single beer a week, this beer isn't for you. But if your getting a bit older, enjoy beer a lot, are starting to not be able to see the seat belt under your gut, and want to stay active in the game of life, then you may want to give this one a try. My new favorite.

3.53/5  rDev +117.9%

Good palette washer in between

1.69/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

1.85/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

1.68/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

1.6/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

1.91/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

1.18/5  rDev -27.2%

1.5/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

4.76/5  rDev +193.8%

This isn't standard or strong beer, so most regular beer drinkers can't be expected to like it. I usually drink wine, and I like the light, clean taste; the fizz; the light body; and the low alcohol. And I love that it's the lowest-calorie beer I can find AND it's not hard to find, as Miller 64 is. It's a great thirst-quencher for summer. You can have more of them. What's not to like?

1.11/5  rDev -31.5%

While my rating on this beer is very low my review will be a little different. The look, smell, taste, and feel are all very unimpressive. All that being said this isn't a beer that is trying to look like anything spectacular or taste spectacular either, this is a low calorie low carb beer. Is it watery and almost completely flavorless? Yes it is for sure but for me it is perfect for going out or having a big get together. I really love stouts Founders Breakfast stout is my favorite beer I've had, but the calories in that beer is around like 240 so this is a lot easier on the gut. Overall this beer is watery and pretty flavorless but for what this is it is perfect and while I don't 100% enjoy it, I drink it for the lower calories and carbs and reach for a stout only once in a while now.

Budweiser Select 55 from Anheuser-Busch