Budweiser Select 55 | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Light Lager

Select 55 is brewed with specialty malts and a blend of imported and domestic hopping. Select 55 has a light golden color and offers aroma notes of toasted malt and subtle hopping.

Added by jsh420 on 09-09-2009

3.5/5  rDev +118.8%

3.46/5  rDev +116.3%

I drank this beer alongside other super light beers--MGD 64 and Michelob Ultra.

Out of the three, the Ultra 55 is definitely the best. MGD 64 was the worst. Mic Ultra wasn't far behind the MGD.

I rated the appearance as 4.0. Quite frankly, it's a light, straw colored liquid. I'm not sure what this metric is supposed to gauge. It looks like a liquid. If there aren't metal shavings in a beer, I'll drink it.

I was drinking this out of a pint glass. There wasn't much of a smell, but I wasn't expecting one. It had a faint smell of grain.

For a beer with 55 calories, the taste was pretty good. Very muted.

hatersgonnahate.jpg

I'd prefer this over BL, BL Lime, and Sunset Wheat.

3.36/5  rDev +110%

Ok, let me first say when you see this beer it is obvious what you are going to get. Half the calories, half the alcohol, half the taste. This beer is perfect for those times when you are entertaining friends and want to be sociable without getting drunk. It is far better than most NA brews and better than MGD 64. I am actually impressed a bit by this beer. I drink it on a hot summer day when I don't want too get drunk.

3.25/5  rDev +103.1%

I just started drinking this beer and love it. It is perfect for my demographic, which is 40+ years old that likes to drink multiple beers a day and has a sedentary desk job. If I kept drinking the hi call, hi alcohol beers for another decade it would probably leed to one less customer 6ft under the ground. I feel like this is helping me get a bit of my edge back and keeping with an active life. I did a taste test of 7 different super light beers at a time. My wife wasn't so thrilled to see me sitting at the table with 7 open beers in front of me, but I talked her into the tasting. She did not like the bud55 so much, but preferred mic ultra which is about double the call and alcohol. I think I liked but55 the best. It is a bit like seltzer water with a mild beer flavoring. We also did mil64, becks64, amber ultra, ultra, yuengling light and bud platinum. It was amazing how much sweeter the higher alcohol and call beers tasted compared to bud55. But all things are relative in life, where those probably taste watery compared to some of the heavy craft beers. After that comparison I can see why diabetics care so much about the low carb beers.

If you are having a single beer a week, this beer isn't for you. But if your getting a bit older, enjoy beer a lot, are starting to not be able to see the seat belt under your gut, and want to stay active in the game of life, then you may want to give this one a try. My new favorite.

3.25/5  rDev +103.1%

3.23/5  rDev +101.9%

Look - lighter golden color. Two fingers of head that dissipated pretty quickly. Slow carbonation.

Smell - Not too much smell, but just a tiny whiff of the typical light lager smell: watered down hoppiness.

Taste - More balanced "blandness" than most light lagers. No strong tastes otherwise.

Mouthfeel - Pretty strong on the watery part of the texture scale.

Drinkability - As far as light lagers go, this is a very drinkable beer. It definitely is lacking in complexity, but helps you maintain a buzz after sampling other more "diverse" beers.

3.15/5  rDev +96.9%

12 oz. clear bottle, retrieved from the San Diego test market for further investigation. Interesting that the brand name they are pushing is Select instead of Budweiser. No hints of the ultralight alcohol content to match the 55 calorie label.

Pours out a decent straw color with a one-inch white head. Not bad, except then the head fizzles down to nothing like a can of cola. I just poured this and the head is all but gone.

The nose is stronger than I anticipated, but the nose has to be about three millimeters away from the surface of the beer. If I hold the glass to my lips and inhale I get nothing. When I really shove my nose into this thing it is very corny with a bit of plastic. No metallic notes, which is a good thing.

Well, it looks and smells like a fairly standard beer for what it is. Let's do this. My first thought it that this beer is ultra carbonated, there are so many bubbles splashing around I can hardly focus on the beer here. It foams when I move the liquid to swallow it. That is interesting. Is it because it is so light in body that the bubbles seem so forward? The main flavor is a very mild malt sweetness, not really corny, but faintly plastic tasting. No metallic notes. Really bubbly. The overall flavor is a little off for a beer, doesn't even have that typical adjunct flavor really, but it is so light and airy it is just easy to swallow it and not care. Weird plastic finish. Despite it being so bubbly and not having particularly good flavors, it all comes together to make this thing swallowable.

So there it is. Not particularly good, but particularly easy to ignore. Bubbly as all hell. Simple to drink, but who drinks lame beer to not get a buzz at 2.4%? I don't get it much. One scenario could be if you have to show up at a party with bad beer you can drink a number of these and then drive home a-ok. Though normally, if you want something fizzy and low in calories reach for a Diet Pepsi Max or a Coke Zero, those are pretty good.

3.07/5  rDev +91.9%

Appearance: Ok head retention. Almost no carbonation upon opening, although you do get a fair amount when you shake it a bit. Overall, it's ok, but not great.

Smell: Mostly a grainy beer smell. I can't really describe this as anything else. It doesn't smell bad or skunked by any means. I can dig this on a basical level.

Taste/Mouthfeel: This stuff does not taste bad. Clean corn-like cereal grain. Like the smell, the taste does not have any bad qualities. The mouthfeel, however, leaves much to be desired. Extremely watery. Not slimy though, so that keeps this from getting a bad grade in this area.

Drinkability: No offensive smell or taste. Smooth, watery finish. All of these qualities make this pretty easy to drink.

Overall: Not a world-class beer by any means. Yet I find some surprisingly pleasant qualities with this. It smells ok, tastes ok, and is very easy to drink, which I think is the point of this beer. On these grounds, I give Budweiser Select 55 a thumbs up as a decent, albeit not great, beer.

Ok, so most beer enthusiasts are going to write this one off as a beer not even worth drinking. And yeah, it's not a great beer. But, as bottled water, it's terrific. If you're trying to lose weight, drinking a great tasting beer that has 200+ calories isn't going to get it done. So, unless you're going to give up drinking entirely, something like this beer can help. I think it has a better flavor than Miller 64 and whatever that 64 cal. beer Beck's put out.

Pairs nicely with veggie dogs.

2.95/5  rDev +84.4%

another entry from the lost notebook!

i saw this one in the in laws fridge and had forgotten to bring anything with me that day so i just went with it. poured it into a pint glass and a light golden amber comes through right away. again nothing really crazy here an exactly what i had expected. short lived head and lively carbonation were common place. aroma is light grain, muted and touched by very light hop notes that seem to provide something, but again so light it is really hard to detect. crisp, clean, super light and had virtually no aftertaste. not a terrible beer just a non existent one. too light and overly carbonated but i have had much worse.

2.95/5  rDev +84.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

It is what it was made to be. Low carb low taste. So little taste.

2.9/5  rDev +81.3%

I got a great laugh from reading all the reviews of Select 55. I actually consume quite a lot of this stuff and it's really quite drinkable.

For all of you who are wondering why anyone would drink Select 55, here's the reason: it's pretty easy to drink a LOT of alcohol every damn night. Especially because I find it very difficult to grill my dinner without a beer in my hand.

I prefer IPAs and stouts with the occasional whit on warm summer evenings. I also like smokey Islay scotches and sweet bourbons depending on my mood. And, I like beer! I don't want to sit around sipping Perrier or diet soda every evening. With Select 55 I can enjoy the taste of an Arrogant Bastard or a Woodford Reserve to start off the evening and then drink four or five Select 55's without getting hammered or putting on 10 lbs a week. Five or six Lagunitas IPAs or Lagavulins every night would do some damage over time.

The taste of Select 55 is decent (i.e. non-offensive) and they go down nice and easy. It's light and pleasantly carbonated with just enough alcohol to take the edge off after a 10 hour work day. 55 is also perfect for camping or the beach when you literally could down a case of these throughout the day and not get hammered or sick. No it's not an objectively great beer, but it's perfect for what it is and therefore one of my "favorite" daily drinkers.

2.84/5  rDev +77.5%

2.83/5  rDev +76.9%

Okay where do i begin with this one, This is one of those beers that you buy if your going to a party but need to drive home. That way you can still have a 6 pack and be under the legal limit LOL. The beer has got no taste to it really, the taste is just like any other widely produced beer.

The drinability on it is outstanding im sure i got put down a whole 24 pack easily.

The only thing I can say about this beer that is good is that its good for barbeques and partys where you don't want to get drunk but you do want something to drink.

2.83/5  rDev +76.9%

Bottle was not poured into a glass. There's no sense in that for this type of beer.

Golden yellow color, transparent head, that disappears within a minute, high carbonation

Taste: Rice, and grassy hay

Mouthfeel: Soda

Smells: Rice Soda

Overall, this is a no frills light beer. I'd have it over others of the type.

I doubt it would ever be in my fridge.

2.79/5  rDev +74.4%

12 oz bottle courtesy of johnmichaelsen, as a gag, brought back from Arizona, where it's apparently being test marketed. Poured into a nonic, Select 55 is clear straw yellow with a small white head, creamy skim but leaving scattered lace.

Smell is grainy, a bit strong for such a light beer.

Taste is vapid and watery, like seltzer. Not grainy like the nose, or really like anything. Totally neutral, which I assume was their goal.

Mouthfeel is dry, crisp, and light.

Drinkability is, well, like seltzer. Sure I could chug this like water, but why would I want to? At only 2+ % ABV, it's not even worth the effort as an alcohol delivery device.

Budweiser Select 55 from Anheuser-Busch